Vegas Summer League GAME 3: Kings v. Grizzlies , 7/10/18 3:30 PT, 6:30 ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, to review - there will be no DeAaron Fox. There will be no Marvin Bagley. But, there will be a game with the likes of Harry Giles and Justin Jackson. If watching those two come into their own, one as a rookie big and one as the only real SF we have right now, doesn't excite you as a Kings fan, you probably shouldn't waste your time watching this SUMMER LEAGUE game.

Remember back not so long ago when summer league wasn't even televised? Maybe that's because summer league isn't real NBA basketball. It's intramural scrimmages played large, because of the opportunity for the NBA to make some more $$$ during the off-season. People tend to forget that and allow themselves to get all too worked up about what happens in Vegas. The "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" advertising slogan should definitely apply to summer league. It's about kids who are desperately trying to prove their worth to their potential teams. It's about rookies getting a first step onto the NBA court. It's about coaches experimenting to see who will fit and who won't. It's not about wins and losses or personal statistics - or at least it shouldn't be. In today's social media-ruled world, however, that sometimes goes out the window.

I'll watch today not because I want the Kings to win, but because I am mesmerized by Harry Giles and very hopeful that Justin Jackson will continue to build confidence in himself and his teammates (although the majority of guys he's playing with today may never come within spitting distance of G1C). I'll also be watching because I'm hoping to spot that diamond in the rough that we so desperately need to find to play behind DeAaron Fox. It's clear to me that Frank Mason just isn't our backup PG of the future. He reminds me a lot of Francisco Garcia. He plays with heart and passion and desire, but he's got the basketball IQ of a box of rocks. (And I say that in the kindest possible way.)

It's a great time to be a Kings fan - but only if you can get past the need to see the summer league team win. Nobody cares about their wins and losses in the final assessment. In fact, celebrating that your team won summer league can and does get you ridiculed (remember?). Let's just back and enjoy the process. Look for the bright spots and you'll see them; look for the weaknesses and you'll find them. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm just happy we have something/anything to smile about and Giles and Jackson (and a couple of the hopefuls) are doing that for me.

GO KINGS!

Entity

Hall of Famer
So, to review - there will be no DeAaron Fox. There will be no Marvin Bagley. But, there will be a game with the likes of Harry Giles and Justin Jackson. If watching those two come into their own, one as a rookie big and one as the only real SF we have right now, doesn't excite you as a Kings fan, you probably shouldn't waste your time watching this SUMMER LEAGUE game.

Remember back not so long ago when summer league wasn't even televised? Maybe that's because summer league isn't real NBA basketball. It's intramural scrimmages played large, because of the opportunity for the NBA to make some more $$$ during the off-season. People tend to forget that and allow themselves to get all too worked up about what happens in Vegas. The "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" advertising slogan should definitely apply to summer league. It's about kids who are desperately trying to prove their worth to their potential teams. It's about rookies getting a first step onto the NBA court. It's about coaches experimenting to see who will fit and who won't. It's not about wins and losses or personal statistics - or at least it shouldn't be. In today's social media-ruled world, however, that sometimes goes out the window.

I'll watch today not because I want the Kings to win, but because I am mesmerized by Harry Giles and very hopeful that Justin Jackson will continue to build confidence in himself and his teammates (although the majority of guys he's playing with today may never come within spitting distance of G1C). I'll also be watching because I'm hoping to spot that diamond in the rough that we so desperately need to find to play behind DeAaron Fox. It's clear to me that Frank Mason just isn't our backup PG of the future. He reminds me a lot of Francisco Garcia. He plays with heart and passion and desire, but he's got the basketball IQ of a box of rocks. (And I say that in the kindest possible way.)

It's a great time to be a Kings fan - but only if you can get past the need to see the summer league team win. Nobody cares about their wins and losses in the final assessment. In fact, celebrating that your team won summer league can and does get you ridiculed (remember?). Let's just back and enjoy the process. Look for the bright spots and you'll see them; look for the weaknesses and you'll find them. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm just happy we have something/anything to smile about and Giles and Jackson (and a couple of the hopefuls) are doing that for me.

GO KINGS!
i loved Garcia. he had the heart for sure. never gave up and never backed down. just made the wrong decision alot

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There were games last season when Mason came in and provided real spark. He's got game, just needs to make better decisions.

I'm hoping for a nice game from him.
That's the problem. I'm rooting for him, just like I rooted for Cisco. At some point, however, it became obvious his shortcomings just negated all of his positives. A bucket on one end doesn't help when you foul a three-point shooter who makes the shot AND the bonus. (That was Garcia...) With Mason, it just seems he forgets there are other players out there who might be in a better position to take the shot than having him drive inside at full speed and slightly out of control. The only exception I've seen is that he seems to have no problem working with #DirtyHarry. That's all well and good, but is it good enough? I'm just not sure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OMG. I don't care if they are interviewing Dave Joerger, I want to watch the freaking game! At least they aren't splitting the screen. And I like Doris Burke but this is stupid. People are not tuning in to listen to Burke question Bickerstaff and Joerger about relationships. What genius produces this crap?

Meanwhile, the Kings have a 7-2 lead. #38 just got a beautiful dunk, whoever he is on the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah there it is. The stupid split screen. Just when I think I couldn't possibly hate BSPN more than I already do, they do crap like this. Stupid effing interviews with meaningless questions. The coaches aren't going to say anything that isn't already well known and they certainly aren't more interesting than watching our young players, at least IMHO.

"I'll just touch on the game here briefly" - Doris Burke

No, Doris. You don't get it. Quit talking to J.B. and Dave and let the people who turned in WATCH THE FREAKING GAME!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh God, Now they're going to review what the coaches just said? Somebody shoot me now - please. Dumbest freaking display of ignorance I've seen in a long time from BSPN and that's saying something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To paraphrase Doris Burke, "We're gonna continue to blather endlessly after this commercial break..."

I am never going to complain about Howdy Doody again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like Auguste but I think we only have 1 available 2-way contract. IIRC we offered one to Sampson already.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...Now Terry Stotts? Because it's Coaches Appreciation Day? How about a "Play the freaking game for the loyal fans who tune in to watch their team" Day?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm afraid I'm going to lose my mind before this is over. They are literally sucking every single ounce of enjoyment out of this game. Every. Single. Ounce.