[Game] Kings @ Knicks - 12/4/16 - 4:30PT/7:30ET

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Who knows? But I can guarantee you if Leonard had gone to the Kings he would not be as good as he is now. Would you disagree with that?
Nobody looked good with Keith Smart as their head coach. But, with a nucleus of Cousins, Leonard, Evans and Thomas, I would have liked to have found out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The trio of Gay, Cousins and Thomas played at a near .500 pace, something we haven't seen in awhile. Mind boggling why people wanted to break that up.
Neither Cousins nor Thomas was ever going to reach their potential playing together: both of them need the ball in their hands.

K

KingsFan80

The trio of Gay, Cousins and Thomas played at a near .500 pace, something we haven't seen in awhile. Mind boggling why people wanted to break that up.
And even worse he walked for nothing. Nothing in return. Great move PDA

Neither Cousins nor Thomas was ever going to reach their potential playing together: both of them need the ball in their hands.
Gay needs his hands on the ball too, but people rebuke the idea that Gay and Cousins don't compliment each other. How many more seasons do we need to see?

Whether or not Cousins and Thomas could co-exist was a risk that needed to be undertaken for a franchise that hasn't any success.

1. If you want to get pedantic about it, it hasn't worked... yet.
  2. What makes you feel like Durant is playing to his potential right now?
While his points per game, he's shooting his career high in FG% (8% above his career average) and 3pt% (4% above his career average). He's averaging a career high in PER and WS/48. Essentially he's putting up career numbers this year. It's hard to argue Durant isn't playing to his potential. You put him in a starting lineup comprised of 2 players who need shots and he's doing much better than he ever did with Westbrook. Go figure.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Energy was good to start.

Rebounding is an eternal problem. Cuz has not been as dominant as in years past, and the need for us to trade for Kyle O'Quinn to be on our team, not theirs, gets more evident every day. 6'8" to 6'10". Loves physical play. Muscles on the boards. Anybody of that description who can play a little would help.
Wow we agree!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gay needs his hands on the ball too, but people rebuke the idea that Gay and Cousins don't compliment each other. How many more seasons do we need to see?

Whether or not Cousins and Thomas could co-exist was a risk that needed to be undertaken for a franchise that hasn't any success.
Cuz is averaging over 29.1ppg right now, and Rudy is averaging right around his career norm (20.1, above hsi career 18.6). They get along fine offensively. When you get down to it any two scorers are always going to conflict a bit. Even Curry has had to step back for Durant, and Klay is struggling as a forgotten banana.

But the IT thing is different. IT has repeatedly said he wants to emulate A.I., and has even received praise from the former high king of ballhoggery.

Cousins right now is running a 37.1 USG%, which is completely insane. Last year he was at 35.4% and it led the league, and only Westbrook's outlandish 41.0% this year keeps Cuz's number from leading again.

Meanwhile IT is running a 33.7%. High enough itself to lead the league in some years, and only about a percentage point behind the 35% A.I. ran annually through his prime. There is simply no way you can have two guys running around with mid-30 USG%s, certainly not if you are planning on any teammates ever touching the ball.

Rudy Gay on the other hand is running a 25.3 USG%, which is right on line with his career 24.8%. He's fine. In many years Cuz would be on the cusp of leading the league in scoring right now, and yet Rudy still has room to take up the same number of possessions he always has.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Cousins and Gay don't really compliment each other. But in their case, it's not because they both need the ball, it's because they aren't effective at playing inside-out, or pick and roll.

Thomas is a different animal. Ball-dominant point guards and high usage centers don't mix, and history backs that up. I don't think that there's been one since Magic Johnson who made it work, and the thing about Magic is that his first instinct was always to pass. Thomas gets assists by virtue of having the ball in his hands all the time, the same way that Tyreke Evans gets assists by virtue of having the ball in his hands all the time, the same way that Allen Iverson got assists by virtue of having the ball in his hands all the time, but I don't think that even his most ardent 'Stans' would try to make the case that Isaiah Thomas' first instinct when he gets the ball is to pass. That's the kind of point guard you need with a high usage center.