Kings invite 19 to training camp

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Think Teal eh? Hornets, Griz and Wolves are all in western conference so would think that is unlikely but you never know.

CruzDude

CruzDude guesses 2 of 4 preseason invitees

Ole CruzDude guessed right on 2 out of 4. Following are the 8 in addition to the 11 on contract as provided by Marty McNeal in Bee this morning:

Matt Barnes, 6-7, 235 UCLA 2002 (local guy who is on bubble)
Tony Bland, 6-5, 201, SDSU 2003
Erik Daniels, 6-8, 214, Kentucky, 2004 (this guy is a banger-rebounder!)
Maurice Evans, 6-5, 220, Texas 2001
Anwar Ferguson, 7-0, 200, Houston 2004
Alton Ford, 6-9, 280, Houston 2004
Liu Wei, 6-3, 198, China
Adam Parada, 7-0, 265, UC Irvine 2004 (is a true back-to-the-basket 5)
:)

Erik Daniels was an important player for the Kentucky Wildcats. He seemed to always play larger than he is and had a knack for finding the ball. He is a hustle player that can finish around the basket.

Kentucky was also a fundamentally sound and well coached team. They were also known for good defense. He is not the flashiest player, but at the end of the game his stats would say otherwise. Whether he can make the cut and play at the NBA level, I don't know. With Kentucky being my adopted State, I am a little biased.

CruzDude

I saw Daniels play in the summer league in 3 games and he was a monster at that level. Plays much bigger than his 6-8 and was very agressive especially down low. Has an ugly set of shots but seemed to score 8-10 a night. I like his game and how he may fit as a team and role player. :)

CruzDude

Daniels looking good..

CruzDude said:
........ There are 11 signed contracts now + Barnes leaving 7 others.

My first guess is Chris Garnett, C, 6-11 255
Then Adam Parada, C 7-0 265 Grad UC Irvine 04
and maybe Kimani Ffriend, F, 6-11, 220
and outside shot Erik Daniels, F, 6-8, 214 (plays much bigger)
Way back on 9/23 I thought Daniels had a shot based on watching him in summer league. Now (10/26) Marty gives him an outside shot as well supported by casual comments from Adelman. He has a nose for the basket and can dribble and pass really well.

My new guess for the end of the bench:
Daniels
Barnes
Evans or Alexander
Minard or Blumenthal

CruzDude

CruzDude said:
Way back on 9/23 I thought Daniels had a shot based on watching him in summer league. Now (10/26) Marty gives him an outside shot as well supported by casual comments from Adelman. He has a nose for the basket and can dribble and pass really well.

My new guess for the end of the bench:
Daniels
Barnes
Evans or Alexander
Minard or Blumenthal
And then there were 13.

Well here it is the 1st of November and Daniels, Barnes, Evans and Alexander have made the squad, so far, with Alexander on the DL for a bit. Minard and Blumenthal just did not pan out after looking great in summer league yet, I'm not sure, Barnes, Evans nor Alexander played in the Long Beach Summer Pro League.

Now all we need is one "biggie"..... or do we? ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
CruzDude said:
And then there were 13.

Well here it is the 1st of November and Daniels, Barnes, Evans and Alexander have made the squad, so far, with Alexander on the DL for a bit. Minard and Blumenthal just did not pan out after looking great in summer league yet, I'm not sure, Barnes, Evans nor Alexander played in the Long Beach Summer Pro League.

Now all we need is one "biggie"..... or do we? ;)
I think we must be calling Daniels are 5th "big" for the moment. He's really a SF, but he played C/PF in college apparently, and I remember Adelman remarking upon him being a better interior defender than perimeter defender. Guess that's ok for the moment/garbagetime. But if we had an injury or two and actually had to throw him out there as part of the rotation as a miniature PF that would be beyond sad.

Daniels played C at Kentucky last year...but they were a pressing team so it didnt effect them. I think he is versatile to play in this league but there are 50 Erik Daniels out there. So I dont think he really figures too much into any future plans after Ostertag and Alexander get healthy.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
I think we must be calling Daniels are 5th "big" for the moment. He's really a SF, but he played C/PF in college apparently, and I remember Adelman remarking upon him being a better interior defender than perimeter defender. Guess that's ok for the moment/garbagetime. But if we had an injury or two and actually had to throw him out there as part of the rotation as a miniature PF that would be beyond sad.
Ask Ben Wallace how big a guy has to be to play any given position and he will tell you it isaboutt eh size of his heart. I can see Daniles more than capapble at 4 but problay more suefull in spesific situations at the 3. He will make a tough mathc up for SFs that are not particulary good outside shooters,

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Ask Ben Wallace how big a guy has to be to play any given position and he will tell you it isaboutt eh size of his heart. I can see Daniles more than capapble at 4 but problay more suefull in spesific situations at the 3. He will make a tough mathc up for SFs that are not particulary good outside shooters,
It helps that Ben Wallace is stong enough to snap Daniels like a twig and use him to pick his teeth. ;)

Daniels seems to know what he's doing out there, but he can't rebound, block shots, or likely body up the bigger PFs or Cs. That puts him in the "nice to see they still teach young whippersnappers how to play" but very modestly talented category.

CruzDude

Wait and see about Daniels. He is a 6-8 version of Bobby near the basket and is not afraid to go after the ball against bigger bodies. Sure he doesn't have the weight but if he and Songalia can get position thats a big start.

Bricklayer

Erik Daniels:

Preseason
6gms 13.5min 3.2pts (.333, .000, .500) 2.7reb 1.2ast 0.8stl 0.2blk 0.5TO 2.2FL

Doesn't look too promising.

Nor was he even a rebounder or shotblocker in college:

Senior Yr
27gms 30.5min 14.8pts (.581, .250, .618) 6.0reb 2.7ast 1.1stl 0.5blk

We'll see, but that looks like a SF in the NBA. Problem for him is that he's not a tremendous athlete, and he doesn;t have range on his shot. I actually liked Barnes and Evans as dynamic forces as the preseason wore on. Daniels impressed me more for just having a well rounded game and not being incompetent, nto as a game changer.