[Game] Game 3: Sacramento Kings @ Los Angeles Clippers, 11/02/14, 12:30 PST, 3:30 EST

Spencer Hawes is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kingsfans.com Official Game Thread
Game 3
Sacramento Kings at Los Angeles Clippers
By Stephen Tetsu, What Ever Happened to the Baha Men?

Even Rudy was shocked by his performance against the Blazers. (Photo Credit: SacBee)

I suppose the “Rudy is ruining everything” talk may have been a bit premature. After a preseason and home opener worth of people blaming seemingly all of the team's woes upon the 6'8" forward out of UConn. As it turned out, Rudy Gay does have his uses after all.

Let's go back to the start of the game, as things were all doom and gloom as we all assumed the blowout loss against the Warriors was going to be the best we’d see out of the Kings all season. As it turns out, we were rather mistaken.

For 48 minutes (well, really more like two and a half hours if you count stoppage of play and commercials), we watched the Kings rebound, defend, and rebound their way to a nice victory over a pretty good Portland squad (although I still consider them to be a tad bit overrated, call it the T-Rob effect). That double rebound isn’t a typo. If you think back to those Kings squads several seasons ago, you may be able to recall that our team had more than its fair share of trouble pulling down the boards. Now, that’s never even a concern. And it’s not even Demarcus or Reggie doing all the boardwork, as our 6’0” point guard has thus far been rebounding at a rate better than Lamarcus Aldridge, who, to be fair, is possibly the weakest rebounding star-level big not named Dirk to grace the league in years. We may not have improved much over the years but at least that’s one thing fixed. Limiting second chance opportunities for the other team improves our chances of victory more than we probably think.

In other fun developments in Kings land, Omri displaced D-Will as the back-up three and wound up being our only productive bench player for the night as Ramon Sessions laid another egg, Carl Landry appears to have lost his post game, Reggie Evans remains Reggie Evans (good at rebounds and being an enforcer, bad at pretty much anything else), and Nik is very much a rookie.

Meanwhile, our starting backcourt has started out the year by playing stellar defense, led by Darren Collison, who has apparently took his new contract in stride by attempting to play like a better shooting Rajon Rondo. Ben, for his part, still looks shaky at best on offense but has seemingly become a plus defender over the offseason which bodes well for his future NBA prospects.

Demarcus has had a relatively quiet start to the season and has at times reverted back to Dumbarcus Cousins, a guy who simply cannot resist making dumb fouls in the opponent's backcourt, killing all positive momentum in the process. But when he's been in, he's made a big impact, especially on the defensive (!) end of the court. In the fourth quarter, Demarcus simply shut down most of the paint, his efforts culminating in a two position sequence that went Demarcus block/Ben dunk/Demarcus block. That short thirty second sequence essentially put the game firmly in the Kings hands.

In case, you haven't noticed, I've been talking a lot about defense and how good the Kings have looked on that side of the game. While I doubt they'll ever look like the 2002 team out there on offense, if our guys can keep on putting forth these defensive efforts, they'll find themselves in the thick of it at the end of a lot of games.

Post of the Game

Please, someone talk about Rudy's low bbiq. I dare you.
Casspi is BETTER than DWill, Coach.

We're all gonna DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Pessimism of the Game
playing defense like no body's business right now...crazy thing to see. Question is how consistent can we see this. Will this go away once they hit the road?
Game Awards

Tony Delk Memorial Award- This was a tough one because no one on the Blazers really contributed aside from the guys who you'd expect would contribute. That said, Wes Matthews was once on our summer league team but didn’t even make our training camp roster because we were “too deep” at the shooting guard position. (Yes, little Timmy, at one point we had too many shooting guards.)

Shareef-Abdur Rahim Award- Do you remember when Chris Kaman had (bad) hair? You do? Do you remember when Kaman was an all-star? Yes? Do you remember when Chris Kaman was graceful and athletic? Nope. Me neither. Now at age 32 and in his 12th NBA season, he never will be.

Mikki Moore Award- Did you know at one point a couple of years ago, Nick Batum was considered one of the best young small forwards in the NBA? Going off of this game it would be hard to see that this was ever the case. Couldn't hit a shot, definitely couldn't stop his man, only moderately good on the boards, which is bad when Lamarcus "I'm afraid of caroms off the rim" Aldridge is your power forward. At least he got five assists, so I guess that's cool.

WTF Moment of the Game- Demarcus gets a stupid foul in the middle of the third quarter and is promptly removed from the game, Portland proceeds to go on a run to tie the game again against our sputtering bench offense.

Thomas Robinson Endowment for the Mentally Gifted Award- Thomas Robinson. When you can't beat out Joel Freeland for a rotation spot, things probably aren't going that great in your NBA career.

The View From the Other Side

The opinions of the Portland Trailblazer fanbase as borrowed from the users of the irreplaceable Blazer's Edge.

• 6:12
    game of dethrones
    Looking for a big win tonight. It would be nice to see the bench play the whole 4th

• 7:04
    Crap I am stuck with horrible Kings announcers
  • 7:10
    Is it just a mater of a super cool projector, or do they have something special on the court to do those graphics?
  • 7:11
    Surprised Jason Thompson has stuck with one team so long being as mediocre as he is.
  • 7:11
    How is Portland similar to Golden State?
    We have the best offense in the league where as GSW offense is very middle of the road
  • 7:17
    The kings playing defense what is this
  • 7:19
    Will this be our annual Inexcusable Road Loss to Sacramento?
    It’s one of my least favorite Blazer traditions.
  • 7:30
    Which quarter will be the Blazers have their 20-4 run for a come back in tonight? Lol
  • 7:32
    The ref cant understand your strange caveman language Kaman
  • 7:33
    Stauskas will be the new Fredette
  • 7:36
    LMA 4 MVP
    let’s get it started.

BEST PF on the NBA

Our Great Leader!
  • 7:46
    Love me some Boogie.
    7:48
    Me too
    Not just for his "DMC" nickname, but also cuz he’s rad and underrated by folks.
  • 7:49
    We're struggling to keep omri kasspi out of the lane
    Not good
  • 7:57
    Credit the Kings, though. They are forcing the Blazers to take lots of difficult shots.
  • 7:59
    I don't understand how the Kings aren't blowing us out. I wonder if their fans watching the game
  • 8:01
    So, Pete, what is your strategy as GM of the Kings?
    To do what Vivek says.
  • 8:04
    Cousisns is one of those guys that seem like they never grow up
  • 8:11
    Cousins is kinda whiny, not attractive, especially for a big.
    I think that holds him back.
    8:13
    And even if he's held back, he put up numbers that would be some of the best in our franchise history last season!
    His PER would be our highest ever, I think, besting the previous record held by Sabonis.​
  • 8:16
    Dame's acting has improved from all the commercials, I think you all are right, he should start flopping a little. He will get the calls..
  • 8:18
    Dame has to have a better second half. I thought he would have a great night versus the Kings going up against Collinson.
    8:20
    Yes, Collison is supposed to be worse on D than Dame
    Maybe he’s playing through the bug.
  • 8:27
    "Rudy Gay with a Rudy Trey" ugh
  • 8:32 I will say if we lose to the Kings I will be very disappointed and it will ruin my night.
  • 8:35
    Yes, give in to the anger, boogie.
  • 8:37
    Engage head case mode
    All that talent done in by the inability to get out of his own head.
  • 8:40
    collison is such a goober
    the goobers are always blazer killers

• 8:44
    It's going to be a brutal season in the Western Conference.
  • 8:51 Did not think I would have a nerve racking 4th tonight…siiigh.
  • 8:57
    Sacramento really is pretty good.
    Not Western Conference playoffs, but just one step behind it.
  • 8:57
    Are you a Pizza Guy?
  • 8:59
    Cousins kind of freaks out LMA I think.
  • 8:59
    can we try and guard Gay a bit better, please
  • 9:06
    What's the point of replay
    If the refs don’t understand the rules
  • 9:08 We will lose due to rebounding pure and simple.
  • 9:11
    Collison has flopped literally every time he comes behind the screen for that midrange jumper
  • 9:15
    I'll bet Vivek is thinking #3 seed after this.
  • 9:15 This is done, wow we just lost to the Kings…this is a terrible Halloween..i’m not going out tonight..i’m pissed.
  • 9:16
    Want a career high game? Play the Blazers
  • 9:17
    Sacramento just wrote out a reality check to Portland.
  • 9:17
    The Blazers decided to be the Lakers for Halloween.
  • 9:20
    For Halloween the refs decided to be Sacramento kings. I guess your team has to win a few games early when everyone wanted your team to move in the off-season
  • 9:33
    everyone stop with the bleeping locker room end of the world nonsense
    its freaking game 2.
  • 9:45
    Oh, well. I ain't even mad.
    Not this early in the season. Some crappy rebounding and lazy passing cost us the game. Dame needs to be more aggressive earlier, especially when Aldridge is going cold on his shots. Gay was undefendable. On to the next one, folks.
  • 9:53
    If it makes any one feel better, the Blazers are now 2-7 in their last nine road games against the Kings.
    So losing in spectacularly facepalm-inducing fashion to mediocre Sacramento squads is just something the Blazers do. Would have really liked to have this one, though, especially with the tough couple games coming up.
  • 10:19
    I'm going to be a contrarian here.
    Sacramento played an extremely inspired game. Sometimes you are just going to lose, especially on the road. I’m going to lock up my angst until we’ve played a few more games.
  • 11:46
    Our bench outscored theirs!
    Anybody here who wouldn’t trade Batum and Lopez for Cousins and Gay?
Tonight's Game

Want to hate sleeved jerseys even more? Stick them on the Clippers.
Coming off a hard-fought victory over a good Portland team, things don't exactly get easier in the first Sunday Matinee game of the season as the Kings hit the road for the first time of the season to play the Los Angeles Clippers.

As you all probably know, the Clippers have been in the news for most of the year... and not necessarily for basketball reasons. But now, having gone from an old racist slumlord to a sweaty CEO who once tried to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle AND is responsible for Windows 8, the Clippers are just as hate-able as always.

Blake Griffin has been on an absolute tear to start the season off but today he must contend with the defensive juggernaut that is Jason Thompson, which will surely end well for us. Also, DeAndre Jordan is one of the best interior enforcers in the NBA, but he usually sucks at defending Demarcus, which could mean good things for us.

Also, for the third consecutive game, Darren Collison is stuck having to face off against another All-Star point guard, this time his former backcourt mate, Chris Paul. Two times is still a fluke, three times establish a pattern. Let's try to establish a pattern, shall we?

Our bench also really needs to find a way to produce/ lock Derrick Williams inside his hotel room. No offense to Omri, but when he's accounting for most of your bench production, other guys really need to step up (That means you, Ramon!). And for the love of god, STOP RUNNING THE OFFENSE THROUGH REGGIE EVANS!

If we show up with more defensive effort, things could get fun.

Match-ups

Demarcus v. Dumbmarcus: DON'T LET THE STUPIDITY WIN. DON'T LET THE STUPIDITY WIN!

Blake Griffin v. the rest of the Oscar Contenders for Best Actor:
Blake continues his Academy Award campaign tonight. I expect a lot of scenery-chewing.

Chris Paul v. Darren Collison:
Let's see that lockdown defense continue on for another game. I wonder how much CP3 makes from each All-State commercial...

Stephen v. Sleep-Deprivation:
Today's game starts at 5:30 in the morning for me. In other words, someone grab the caffeine please.

People who Forgot to Set their Clocks versus the world:
You get an extra hour of sleep!

Paper v. Plastic:
Pretty sure paperboys don't exist in Japan.

Predictions and Final Thoughts
I hate the Clippers and thus could never predict them to win. Thus, my final prediction is a 98-98 tie. And that's all I have to say about that.

Go Kings!

P.S. Didn't think you could hate Clippers more? Well, they have this guy, so let hate reign.

What kind of douchewagon haircut is that nonsense? (Photo credit: Things that Make Me Want To Punch Babies)

Can I have 3 wishes? That would be DMC not taking himself out of the game in the third, no offense through Evans and good game from Sessions.

As always, I will be watching closely to see the various ways in which Rudy "Destroyer of Worlds" Gay makes us a worse team.

;)

If you need extra motivation, if that picture above wasn't quite enough, here you go.
Hawes2.jpg

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Lets get this win. If Collison can help slow down CP3, we will win. Today we really need some steady offensive contribution from Sessions, Ben and Nik. A 2-1 record would be sweet right now.

Some of Rudy stuff is nonsense. If the shots are going in, keep taking them. If you're cold and have a wide open guy to pass to who is hot, pass the dang ball. He's just got to be able to make those calls to have more games like our last one... than more like the first one.

I don't think there is another team that annoys me more than the Clips. I'm looking forward to seeing how Collison does, I hope he frustrates Paul today. Cheers for a Reggie Evans flagrant on a high flying Blake.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, the Clippers have, inexplicably, been struggling against vastly inferior and/or depleted teams, so if we can replicate the effort from Friday night, we should have a good shot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
we know how much DeMarcus loves the Clippers so I'm interested to see how aggressive he comes out the gate and whether he lets his love for LA make him play dominant or sit next to coach on the bench.

I have the feeling that Ben and Nik will play well. Sometimes the best medicine for players shooting poorly is a change in scenery. As has been pointed out, if DC holds down CP3, we have a great chance.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Methinks Boogie gets his first tech this game.. And it will be one of those "reputation" BS techs. Blake Griffin is just that much of an annoying ****. And dont get me started on Hawesome!

My only other prediction is that we win. Last game has given me hope!

Also...

A joke:

What do you get if you flip a Clippers fan's jersey inside out?

A Lakers jersey!!!

Get it...Cause LA fans are all bandwagon lowlifes!

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Good original post Tetsujin. For today, three big goals: Cuz to get 5+ assists, no silly fouls, and bench score 35+ pts. Of course to win as well.

K

KingMilz

It's 3:00am here the Kings better play well cause of me getting up this early to watch them.

Did the timezones (daylight savings) or something switch in the states? Cause the game is starting 1 hour later than it has been since opening day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please DMC stay out of foul trouble today!

Crawford might not play so that would be GREAT!

As for T-Rob not beating Freeland in the POR rotation, i believe T-Rob is actually hurt? Maybe i heard that wrong

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's 3:00am here the Kings better play well cause of me getting up this early to watch them.

Did the timezones (daylight savings) or something switch in the states? Cause the game is starting 1 hour later than it has been since opening day.
Yes, last night was the end of Daylight Savings Time here.

Match-ups:
1 - If Collison can sustain the kind of hustle and energy in defense he had going, CP3 could be a slowed down. Match-up = plus 1 for Clippers
2 - Stauskas/McLemore need to muster their best defensive effort to lessen the effectiveness of Crawford/Redick. Match-up = plus 1 for Clippers
3 - Gay certainly could get his momentum going even against a good defender like Matt Barnes. Match-up = plus 2 for Kings!
4 - Let us hope a strong body (Evans and no Casspi please) will get Griffin off-balance most of the time. Match-up = plus 1 for Clippers
5 - We need the smart Cousins (not the DUMB Cousins) to play A+ offensive game to negate DeAndre Jordan's defense. Match-up = plus 1 for Kings

Coaching:
This is where the Kings are of great disadvantage. Doc Rivers will easily swallow the inexperienced Malone, and that is even without water.

Mr. Malone, I beg you, no more thoughtless substitutions please. Every minute of the game counts! No more 10-12 player rotation and let's stick on 8-10 player rotation.

Also, no more small ball experimentation please. No more players playing out of their natural position. We have adequate size and capable players on all positions. Use them to your advantage!

Prediction/Hopes:
Kings win a very close and exciting game.

Key to the WIN:
Rudyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Let's go Kings!

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm most worried about Crawford to tell you the truth. He's torched McLemore in the past. I don't see any of our guards being able to stop him.
Our defense on Crawford is definitely one of things to watch in this game. He completely torched us last year, and I'm interested to know if Ben has improved enough, or if Nik is good enough, to slow him down.

**** the clippers they don't have a like able soul on that team and that includes the cry baby on th bench. Guarantee you 3 things today cp will flop, blake will act tough after a foul, and Crwaford will fall down on 95% of his shots.

Anyway Gay should tourch them no answer for him and Boogie does good against them. JJ is struggling and they get no production out of there SFs.

Our defense on Crawford is definitely one of things to watch in this game. He completely torched us last year, and I'm interested to know if Ben has improved enough, or if Nik is good enough, to slow him down.
Oh Nik will get destroyed no doubt about it. McLemore was bad last season with him, maybe he will do a little better. Crawford has off games like everyone else, hopefully this is one of his.

Oh Nik will get destroyed no doubt about it. McLemore was bad last season with him, maybe he will do a little better. Crawford has off games like everyone else, hopefully this is one of his.
Crawford's always been his own worst enemy. Not a ton of guys in this league that can stick with him. Former Michigan man, so I've tried to follow his career as best I could.