Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

My Prediction for the next Kings coach is Nate McMillan. Just wanted to put that in writing so you guys could shower me in praise later on . :D:D:D

Why guards in general, and ex-point guards in particular end up being coaches in the NBA is simple. The PG is the floor leader. He's an extension of the coach to some degree. He's the guy calling out the plays and setting things up. You look around the NBA and a high percentage of coaches were PG's at some point in time. It's more of a natural transition than from being a center in the league.
Similar to catchers becoming coaches in baseball, no?

There is absolutely no reason for Vivek to publically have his name attached to anything that Vlade should be handling at this point. I get this awful "here we go again" feeling. Please, oh please, don't tell me that Vivek has a money leash on Vlade to the extent that Vlade has to get public permission to spend money. Sure Vivek has the final say but why does he need to let it be known he is an active part of hiring a coach. Who's in charge?

The article said that Vlade would bring three names to the owner but before they even get to that point, Vivek is expressing interest in McHale. What if the three names do not include McHale?

Then personally, I am a little concerned about Vlade. McHale should be tops on his list of available candidates.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I agree that McHale should be #1 and perhaps this is why Vivek stuck his nose into the discussion. He is the closer. I know northern Minnesotans and small town Minnesotans. I am the latter and McHale is the former and the latter. McHale started playing sports as a hockey goalie. As a group, we don't like snake oil salesman. We don't like people who are all full of themselves. The last person to be talking to McHale is Vivek and the #1 guy to talk to him is Vlade. Of course, the situation may be quite different than what I am thinking and perhaps McHale isn't a typical small town northern Minnesotan. McHale's distaste for California tends to support my view of McHale.

My alarm about Vivek being involved may be misplaced. Maybe it's a good sign. Unfortunately, when we are not even at a position where we are going to present the three possibilities, as Vlade said we would do this week, I get alarmed when the owner is already negotiating with one of them. Who's in charge?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree that McHale should be #1 and perhaps this is why Vivek stuck his nose into the discussion. He is the closer. I know northern Minnesotans and small town Minnesotans. I am the latter and McHale is the former and the latter. McHale started playing sports as a hockey goalie. As a group, we don't like snake oil salesman. We don't like people who are all full of themselves. The last person to be talking to McHale is Vivek and the #1 guy to talk to him is Vlade. Of course, the situation may be quite different than what I am thinking and perhaps McHale isn't a typical small town northern Minnesotan. McHale's distaste for California tends to support my view of McHale.

My alarm about Vivek being involved may be misplaced. Maybe it's a good sign. Unfortunately, when we are not even at a position where we are going to present the three possibilities, as Vlade said we would do this week, I get alarmed when the owner is already negotiating with one of them. Who's in charge?
To be honest, I don't know who should be number one. I don't know any of them personally, I only know their records. I didn't think much of Mitchell, until I read that interview with him, and it changed the way I looked at him. All of us are on the outside looking in because none of us have been privy to being part of an NBA organization. Well as far as I know anyway. I was part of a baseball organization, and when I go on one of the baseball forums and read what posters have to say, it's so comical that I don't even comment.

I'm going to trust that Vlade knows what he's doing, and that he'll choose a coach that fits whatever vision he has, and that's the most important part. Vlade and the new coach have to be on the same page or it won't work. Just who that is, is anyone's guess. If Vlade is looking to replicate the kind of team he played on with the Kings, then he might give Elston Turner a hard look. He's sort of like a Capt in the military tryng to make Major. After you get passed over three times, you might as well give it up. Doesn't mean your less qualified, just forgotten.

Did Vlade get permission from Pops to interview either ne of his assistant coaches after this first playoff series? Haven't heard anything. Vlade's nterviewing of McHale was the last one I heard may have happened.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
To be honest, I don't know who should be number one. I don't know any of them personally, I only know their records. I didn't think much of Mitchell, until I read that interview with him, and it changed the way I looked at him. All of us are on the outside looking in because none of us have been privy to being part of an NBA organization. Well as far as I know anyway. I was part of a baseball organization, and when I go on one of the baseball forums and read what posters have to say, it's so comical that I don't even comment.

I'm going to trust that Vlade knows what he's doing, and that he'll choose a coach that fits whatever vision he has, and that's the most important part. Vlade and the new coach have to be on the same page or it won't work. Just who that is, is anyone's guess. If Vlade is looking to replicate the kind of team he played on with the Kings, then he might give Elston Turner a hard look. He's sort of like a Capt in the military tryng to make Major. After you get passed over three times, you might as well give it up. Doesn't mean your less qualified, just forgotten.
I assumed McHale was a #1 pick because Vivek has already stuck his nose into negotiations. Besides, we went to the same university. ;) I'm very simple minded as I think we all are when we think we know what a good coach for the Kings is.

One thing I know is that it is easier to coach a team that is winning than a team that is losing. There is a certain chicken and egg thing involved there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I assumed McHale was a #1 pick because Vivek has already stuck his nose into negotiations. Besides, we went to the same university. ;) I'm very simple minded as I think we all are when we think we know what a good coach for the Kings is.

One thing I know is that it is easier to coach a team that is winning than a team that is losing. There is a certain chicken and egg thing involved there.
Ahhh, I like simple explanations. Is it the chicken or the egg? A question that transcends time, and has never been answered convincingly. Suddenly Vlade's decision seems easier. :rolleyes:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Am I the only one aggravated that Vivek is negotiating with McHale?
Probably not, but it is not all bad.

I would like McHale, and frankly the only way we are likely to get him is if he gets some sort of personal man to man assurances from Vivek that he's not going to be canned on a whim or a fret. So they need to talk, and if it lands us one of our better candidates and Vlade has vetted him, its fine.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Probably not, but it is not all bad.

I would like McHale, and frankly the only way we are likely to get him is if he gets some sort of personal man to man assurances from Vivek that he's not going to be canned on a whim or a fret. So they need to talk, and if it lands us one of our better candidates and Vlade has vetted him, its fine.
McHale also has a problem with California. I'm not sure how Vivek can reassure McHale about that because, speaking as a fellow Minnesotan, I think Vivek is a snake oil salesman.

dude12

Hall of Famer
McHale also has a problem with California. I'm not sure how Vivek can reassure McHale about that because, speaking as a fellow Minnesotan, I think Vivek is a snake oil salesman.
That California thing might be part of negotiating or it might be true.....the problem with hearing anything from Vivek is that we are hearing something from Vivek. He needs to stay in his lane. If McHale isn't Vlade's guy, wasn't there something out there that Vlade would resign?......as he probably should. Vlade needs to hire his guy...period. I don't care if its a 1st year guy like Elston Turner or a vet like VDN or Woodson....has to be Vlade's hire.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That California thing might be part of negotiating or it might be true.....the problem with hearing anything from Vivek is that we are hearing something from Vivek. He needs to stay in his lane. If McHale isn't Vlade's guy, wasn't there something out there that Vlade would resign?......as he probably should. Vlade needs to hire his guy...period. I don't care if its a 1st year guy like Elston Turner or a vet like VDN or Woodson....has to be Vlade's hire.
McHale has been quoted as saying that he does not like California. I'd love to sit down with Kevin and as a felloe Minnesotan explain my thought process on how I ended up in Sacramento. Sacramento is not California! It is the biggest small town I have been in. It has a small town mentality or at least it did when I moved here. It's not LA. It's not the Bay Area. It's really not bad, Kevin. It can be a tad boring but that's what you get. Now if McHale's concern is about the rapid turnover in coaches, I'm not exactly sure who is best to try to reassure him. I think the jury is still out what Vivek's role was in the firing of Malone. Perhaps the only good hire Vivek has made on the basketball side of the operations is Vlade.

I agree. Vlade needs to hire HIS guy. I hope beyond hope that Vivek's intervention in the chatter with McHale was at the request of Vlade. Otherwise it smells of Vlade getting undercut. It is not in the worst of ways but this new culture should have some specified duties.

Disturbing news or hints at facts his week, that Vivek has named a favorite candidate for coach and that Vlade is going to give Vivek three names of HC candidates supposedly for the owner to pick from. Both if true are very bad news for me. Let's hope this info is ncorrect.

Bricklayer

Disturbing news or hints at facts his week, that Vivek has named a favorite candidate for coach and that Vlade is going to give Vivek three names of HC candidates supposedly for the owner to pick from. Both if true are very bad news for me. Let's hope this info is ncorrect.
It really is pretty standard, Two things I rarely think an owner is not going to be involved in at all is 1) hiring/firing a coach. The buck is going to stop on the owner's desk. and 2) trading a franchise player. I don't remember the exact details of who made the final call, but I remember Petrie doing something similar ironically in the year when our three finalists were Kurt Rambis, Tom Thibodeau, and Paul Westphal. Its not just by stupid decisions on draft picks that this franchise has floundered.

Last edited:
Look Vivek will have to speak to the final candidates. Ownership needs to have a good relationship with the coach. As much as we want to keep Vivek out of this for obvious reasons, bottom line is Vivek is the one writing the cheques and the coach will have to have a good realtionship not just with the front office but with the ownership group, especially since most of our issues over the years have been as a result of our ownership.

I have said many times that McHale is my #1 choice BUT if he is not in it 100%, I don't want us to hire him. I don't want us to sell him on something that will be different once he signs on. Everyone needs to be in it for the right reasons and on the same page if this is going to work. Unfortunately, ownership has a fairly large say in the direction this franchise will head.

Bricklayer

Make it happen Vlade. I don't know why I want it, but he's the man I want on the job.
I can't speak to how he relates to player,s but he's clearly got to be one of the more promising candidates, assuming that Bron/Kyrie were the asses, not him.

Thing is I don't really know how he'd coach a non-LeBron team, but we are talking a coach with a 1 for 1 reach the Finals record, talent or no.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Look Vivek will have to speak to the final candidates. Ownership needs to have a good relationship with the coach. As much as we want to keep Vivek out of this for obvious reasons, bottom line is Vivek is the one writing the cheques and the coach will have to have a good realtionship not just with the front office but with the ownership group, especially since most of our issues over the years have been as a result of our ownership.

I have said many times that McHale is my #1 choice BUT if he is not in it 100%, I don't want us to hire him. I don't want us to sell him on something that will be different once he signs on. Everyone needs to be in it for the right reasons and on the same page if this is going to work. Unfortunately, ownership has a fairly large say in the direction this franchise will head.
Vlade said that this next week he would present three candidates to Vivek and who knows who. As best i know, that time has not happened yet Vivek is already jumping in.