Report: Hornets can interview Lindsey Harding for head coach opening

• Thread starter NBC Sports Bay Area & California
  • Start date
N

NBC Sports Bay Area & California

Lindsey Harding appears to be in demand. The Charlotte Hornets reportedly were granted permission to interview Stockton Kings head coach and former Sacramento Kings assistant Lindsey Harding for their current head-coaching vacancy, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Monday, citing sources. Charlotte had announced on April 3 that current coach Steve Clifford would step down from the role after the season ends, though he would stay on in an advisory role.

Continue reading...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Assume they will interview Staley as well, and the Blazers may also make a run at her or both of them and Becky as well. Probably have to be nuts to take the Blazers job since they are still going to suck for at least 2 more seasons.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Portland and Charlotte may actually end up being the best places for our first female NBA head coach to establish herself, whoever that turns out to be. Sure they're terrible teams right now but both of them have extremely young cores wth some promising high-end talent in key positions (CHA has LaMelo Ball, Brandon Miller, Mark Williams) (POR has Shaedon Sharp, Scoot Henderson, DeAndre Ayton) and an additional high lotto pick in this year's draft. And more importantly, the bar has currently been set extremely low. So they'd be coming into a situation without any superstar egos to manage where any degree of progress would start to build their own credibility.

I see this as a much easier task than trying to compete with the legend of Gregg Popovich in San Antonio or to undertake complete rock-bottom rebuilds in Chicago or Detroit.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Portland supposedly gave Staley a very good shot and Jody Allen and others were very high on Becky (who I think may have been smart enough and still in SA at the time to know the Blazers were going to enter a full rebuild soon). I think the issue here is the fanbase is extremely unrealistic in expectations for how quickly a team can rebuild - especially given what the West is right now. Local politics make Portland the obvious choice to break the gender barrier but perhaps the greatest thing that could happen is that two do it together. And I guess in that case having the Rose City and Queen City do it would be nice.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Assume they will interview Staley as well, and the Blazers may also make a run at her or both of them and Becky as well. Probably have to be nuts to take the Blazers job since they are still going to suck for at least 2 more seasons.
I have no doubt that teams will ask for permission to interview Coach Staley, but she has suggested in interviews that she has no desire leave SC at all. Besides which, if someone makes her an offer, I'm sure that they'll find a way to match it. As the late coach John Thompson once said, she got her one of those "University Of" jobs.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
As the late coach John Thompson once said, she got her one of those "University Of" jobs.
You are not wrong about that and she could be the next Pat or Gino.

BUT, breaking the gender barrier might be too much to resist if her domino dropped first. Pitino left UK for the Celtics so it would be that earth-shattering of a move for sure.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Speaking of Charlotte, though, I find myself of the opinion that the one thing that might tempt Coach Staley to leave South Carolina is if they brought back the Sting. I'm not sure if she'd be tempted by the opportunity to coach in the NBA, especially if Coach Harding breaks through the glass ceiling first.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not sure what all is going on with WNBA expansion but they blew off both Sacramento and Portland which imho would probably be the two best markets in the league but I understand Portland is likely to happen eventually. Which leaves room for one more?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
As a fan of WCBB, I would selfishly be thrilled for Staley to take an NBA position. One less juggernaut to deal with. I don't see her doing it, because she's in the midst of creating a dynasty at SC.