Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

gunks

Hall of Famer
**** man bring in Blatt already
For real. He got a raw deal in Cleveland, but everything I've read about Blatt makes him sound great for this squad.... As long as he's up front and open with Cuz, because apparently Blatt is a bit of a hard-arse.... But so was Malone, and Cousins loved him.

I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with Del Negro. I wouldn't really get excited over the hire, but I think he'd be solid, if unspectacular. McHale wouldn't be awful either.... Ex big man might be good for a team built around Cuz.

As long as we don't get Mitchell or Jackson. Please no to Jackson.

For real. He got a raw deal in Cleveland, but everything I've read about Blatt makes him sound great for this squad.... As long as he's up front and open with Cuz, because apparently Blatt is a bit of a hard-arse.... But so was Malone, and Cousins loved him.

I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with Del Negro. I wouldn't really get excited over the hire, but I think he'd be solid, if unspectacular. McHale wouldn't be awful either.... Ex big man might be good for a team built around Cuz.

As long as we don't get Mitchell or Jackson. Please no to Jackson.
I don't get why we haven't interviewed him when they said we were interested.

And ya I think he would be great here. Without Lebron he'd be able to run his offense and he's a good defensive coach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't get why we haven't interviewed him when they said we were interested.

And ya I think he would be great here. Without Lebron he'd be able to run his offense and he's a good defensive coach.
Most often it's as simple as scheduling the interview. Just because we haven't heard anything doesn't mean there isn't one scheduled.

It is not unusual to first interview Longshots and then interview the people you are most interested in last so you are more free to make an offer. It's a process thing.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Some info on Turner he seems like a no nonsense coach. Here's the book thing he preaches straight DEFENSE DEFESNE DEFENSE. If we ain't getting McHale, Blatt, or Messinia I'd take one of these assistance instead of a recycled head coach.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/features/get-know-grizzlies-assistant-coach-elston-turner
The Rick Adelman influence already showing up in our coaching search. Elston was Rick's right hand man for a lot of his tenure in Sacramento and the guy Rick suggested to take his spot after the Maloofs fired him started running out of money. He was, purportedly, the defensive coach during the "greatest show on court" era, a team that while better known for its offense wasn't exactly awful on D, despite lacking real bonafide plus defenders aside from Doug Christie. Being on Joerger's staff only helps his resume.

Just hasn't been a guy who's, for one reason or another, gotten a chance to show his stuff as a head coach in the NBA.

In terms of potential choices, you could do a lot worse *cough* Brian Shaw *cough*

Jason Jones @mr_jasonjones
Hearing Kings would like to have a coach in place sometime next week. Formal interviews w/ Mitchell, Del Negro and Woodson thus far.
If that's the case I hope there are a few more guys coming in for interviews soon. McHale? Walton? McMillan? Udoka? Larranaga? Blatt?

None of the three guys mentioned would be awful (with VDN being probably my favorite of them) but none seem like a home run either.

I wonder if a lot of guys on Vlade's rumored list just aren't interested in the Kings job?

Jason Jones @mr_jasonjones
There are some around the league who believe Kings asst coach Corliss Williamson deserves an interview, too.
Corliss might deserve an interview but I can't see him being the guy.

Fortunately, there are more good coaches than there are job openings. Might not get out first choice, but we'll get someone decent. I think a decent coach will be enough to get us in the playoffs.
I hope so, but that assumes enough good coaches necessarily want to coach next year.

I could see someone like McHale, for example, if not impressed by the fit here, simply deciding to coast off his recent Rockets extension and continue working on the broadcasting side until more jobs open up next year.

I like the indication that Vlade wants somebody by next week. To me that seems better than waiting a month and a half to find somebody. Also a good strategy to let potential candidates know they shouldn't procrastinate. Interview now o forget it. The fire is warming.

I like the indication that Vlade wants somebody by next week. To me that seems better than waiting a month and a half to find somebody. Also a good strategy to let potential candidates know they shouldn't procrastinate. Interview now o forget it. The fire is warming.
Jones may have a solid source but at the moment this is just Jones saying next week NOT Vlade, so I still take it with a grain of salt and a big glass of patience.

Waited to chime in on the coaching search for a while. I'm ok with who we're looking at and I think I'll be satisfied. I've warmed on Sam Mitchell, would be fine with VDN, and would love Blatt or McHale. Not sure if we have a legit chance of landing Blatt though. In addition to those I would love to see Ime Udoka or Elston Turner get a chance as well. As long as it's not Mark Jackson.

I personally would be OK with Del Negro, Mark Jackson or Sam Mitchell. I don't think McHale would be a good fit for the team.

Whomever the next HC may be I hope he brings success and stability to the coaching position and to the team so the franchise can finally move forward and start to elevate towards a respectable and competitive organization.

Um, yes he is. And I know this to be true because he told me so when I met him at a pre-draft workout in the practice facility several years ago.
I think I knew that. My point is an old one for me. I don't think such a fanhood on his part would be worthy of the deriding he occassionally gets on here. Meaning, what difference does it make. I was a 15 year fan of the Warriors and am still a simpatico. Doesn't get in the way of my love of the Kings. So please adopt Jason Jones as our own.