[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies - Friday, Jan. 19 - 5 PT

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Best thing about the night was hearing that Giles was 6'9", 245 lbs, and tested out with elite lateral foot speed for an NBA small forward. That's what I'm talkin' about! Can't help but get excited about that!
its the Kings organization pumping up their player in a dreadful season but I look forward to when he steps foot on the court, I have a good feeling about Giles and I have since the draft.

Watching this game was somewhat of a painful process, IMHO. Like most other games this season, we showed flashes of good stuff (not so much great stuff, but definitely good), but then that quickly evaporated into thin air. Into extremely thin air. Like most on this board, I agree the Bogie is the best player on the team right now. The kid just has NBA material written all over him. And it's the good kind of NBA material. I also agree that our young kids are way more enjoyable to watch than our veterans. Maybe our veterans know that it's nearing the end of the road for them, so they're trying to milk it all in, cruise the rest of the way, and then will proceed to "hang them up for good"????? Just, maybe???

In terms of game specifics...The only thing that really stuck out to me, and it stuck out to me like a sore thumb, was that one stretch of the first half (I don't remember which quarter) when both teams just took poor shot after poor shot after poor shot. It was borderline annoying, to say the very least. Even Grant and Jerry were confused.

I'm still a Kings fan. Until I die. We can go 0-82 and that will never change.

With that being said, I still have high hopes for this core of young guys. I really do believe that they are going to be the ones who will take us to great places. I really do.

And, as is the case all day, any day, and every day, It is ALWAYS a good time to be a Kings fan. ALWAYS.

Dave Joerger really needs to stop with the ranting and raving because he's making one of the worst mistakes the coach of a young team can make. At best you could say he's emulating a Greg Popovich type of coach, but the issue is Joerger has already exhibited the double standard that nullifies it. Coaches like Pop are very rare when they survive as long as they do but they do because they'll yell at or bench a Tim Duncan just as quick as they'll yell at or bench the 12th man. You never see Joerger yelling at his vets when they make a mistake. Can't do that, players begin to resent you.

This is true.

I do agree with Joergers advertised merit based approach to young players. I think Skal should have to take it from Z-Bo or Kosta. I think Jackson should have to prove he’s better than Carter. Mason over Hill etc etc. I don’t think that has really happened which is why I don’t complain about Z-Bos minutes or Carter’s minutes..or Temples minutes.

However, you make a great point. If you’re going to do it like that you definitely need to hold vets to similar standards otherwise it just looks like a seniority based system and flat out favoritism. Then the youth will likely feel that they’re at a disadvantage that goes beyond their lack of experience. As you said, nobody got chewed out by Pop more than Duncan and nobody visibly gave him more headaches than Ginobili. The two guys that should be beyond reproach in most franchises...but it’s also true that San Antonio had mainly always been a revolving door of veteran players around the core group, with one or two really young players. Even going as far back as when Duncan first came in the league. San Antonio has been a veteran team forever. So it is different from a team of kids on their first contracts with a few vets thrown in.

The point still stands though, You can make them earn their keep, but if anything the guys that are supposed to be leading by example should be held to much higher standards if not equal.

Last edited:
I think, now, aside from questioning Joerger’s fit on a rebuilding team, it’s going to get into his aptitude as a coach as the youth are not showing quality progress, the rotations and scheme, the record..

He’s not doing a good job yet

ding ding ding...you sir are the winner! run pick and roll period and you are guaranteed to get an open shot within two passes....the Kings achilles heel on defense for over a decade 0_0
Our switch defense and showing from the big has been apathetic since BRAD MILLER was that big. Imagine that.

Not so much low IQ but more "this team sucks, let me try to get mine so I can get paid". There is no team culture in place to punish this kind of play. The Spurs or Heat would have benched Willie on the spot.
One thing i hate in basketball is not passing to the open guy. And i don't think it's "i don't want to pass you", i just think Willie doesn't sees the court well. Insisting on passing the ball and making the ball move around is not something we see from Kings this year ("iso Zbo" has a role in it too) a lot. And once Willie decides to attack the basket, he will do it, no mather what. Changing your mind while addapting the situation (Spurs basketball are based on those things) is basketball IQ , and unfortunately, in this Sacramento team, i see that only sometimes from Bogdan, Temple and Hill (and sometimes Fox). Young guys still need to learn that... but we are young, we will get better!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Where did you hear that fact?
It was on the pre-game. They talked about how Giles has been tested by a special clinic down in L.A. all kind of measurables for a BB player, and he's jumping higher, running faster, getting stronger and is testing out at as NBA elite for lateral foot speed.

One thing i hate in basketball is not passing to the open guy. And i don't think it's "i don't want to pass you", i just think Willie doesn't sees the court well. Insisting on passing the ball and making the ball move around is not something we see from Kings this year ("iso Zbo" has a role in it too) a lot. And once Willie decides to attack the basket, he will do it, no mather what. Changing your mind while addapting the situation (Spurs basketball are based on those things) is basketball IQ , and unfortunately, in this Sacramento team, i see that only sometimes from Bogdan, Temple and Hill (and sometimes Fox). Young guys still need to learn that... but we are young, we will get better!
I don't think Willie's problem is vision. He sees the floor fine in the high post. I don't think he has enough confidence to keep his head high when driving into the lane. That creates tunnel vision most of the time. As he gets more confident with his handles we will see better passing from him when attacking the basket.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WCS needs to slow down some. It's disappointing that we still see him throw up wild fadeaway shots. Just take the straight up jumper or get balance for a hook instead of driving wildly in a pre-programmed manner in the key. Joerger needs to outlaw fadeaway jump shots for WCS. The guy needs more BBIQ, period.

WCS needs to slow down some. It's disappointing that we still see him throw up wild fadeaway shots. Just take the straight up jumper or get balance for a hook instead of driving wildly in a pre-programmed manner in the key. Joerger needs to outlaw fadeaway jump shots for WCS. The guy needs more BBIQ, period.
If Willie utilized the fake more often and went straight to the rim when it is their I think he would have more success. He also never changes tempo, a short pause here and there along with a fake can sometimes get a defender out of position.

This is true.

I do agree with Joergers advertised merit based approach to young players. I think Skal should have to take it from Z-Bo or Kosta. I think Jackson should have to prove he’s better than Carter. Mason over Hill etc etc. I don’t think that has really happened which is why I don’t complain about Z-Bos minutes or Carter’s minutes..or Temples minutes.

However, you make a great point. If you’re going to do it like that you definitely need to hold vets to similar standards otherwise it just looks like a seniority based system and flat out favoritism. Then the youth will likely feel that they’re at a disadvantage that goes beyond their lack of experience. As you said, nobody got chewed out by Pop more than Duncan and nobody visibly gave him more headaches than Ginobili. The two guys that should be beyond reproach in most franchises...but it’s also true that San Antonio had mainly always been a revolving door of veteran players around the core group, with one or two really young players. Even going as far back as when Duncan first came in the league. San Antonio has been a veteran team forever. So it is different from a team of kids on their first contracts with a few vets thrown in.

The point still stands though, You can make them earn their keep, but if anything the guys that are supposed to be leading by example should be held to much higher standards if not equal.
It's a good idea but it's another dangerous ground kind of thing that leads into the standards you bring up because where is the bar set? Where do actual results factor in, etc.? I recall Hield going off on a near historic run offensively for a couple of games and then bang, right back to Temple and the crew. It's impossible for players to truly break out the way they were being played or sustain a quality of play. He's now starting to give more rope to players like Bogdan, Willie, and Fox and it's paying off. But they are NBA players, it's all an average, there will be bad games, there will be mistakes. Cutting off the potential of having a great game is doing more damage than trying to salvage a few mistakes here and there.

And we all have to remember that Joerger came into Sacramento with a few Grizzlie fans trailing behind who had far more experience with Joerger than us and that favortism is exactly one of the main concepts they warned about.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It was on the pre-game. They talked about how Giles has been tested by a special clinic down in L.A. all kind of measurables for a BB player, and he's jumping higher, running faster, getting stronger and is testing out at as NBA elite for lateral foot speed.
Sports Medicine has come a long way compared to a decade ago, so these athletes are stronger & explosive compared to ten years ago or even five

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Whatever. You have been SO close every time you post it' a great time to be a Kings fan. Cuz last team in the league leads me to believe it's a great time. For a lobotomy.
Dang dude. You used to have a sense of humor. Sorry to see you've lost it. I honestly thought you would understand I was joshing with you. But whatever... I won't make the same mistake again.

If Willie utilized the fake more often and went straight to the rim when it is their I think he would have more success. He also never changes tempo, a short pause here and there along with a fake can sometimes get a defender out of position.
Give Willie some time. He's just learning how to tunnel vision his way to the basket. It's really hard for a guy just learning how to score to be able to handle the ball, use post moves, see the floor and pass. These things are going to come slowly one at a time for him if he can develop them. Don't expect them all at once.

Bogi fed Willie an alley oop that misses, Willie gets loose ball, Bogi runs to wing for wide open three, Willie proceeds to take five dribbles and brick something off the glass instead of the easy kickout for a wide open three to a good shooter. These are the kinds of things that separate winning teams/players from losers.
Yep, poor judgement on Willie's part, I think brought on by frustration of missing the alley oop and then just trying to make something happen. At times when the Kings offense becomes stagnant, Willie tries to make something happen. He needs to choose his moments better, there are times when he can make something happen, but he needs to pick the right time and action. All players have the occasional lapses in judgement, young, inexperienced players just have more of them. It's part of the maturation process to limit the number of them. Every Kings player on the floor had their moments of poor judgement.