Kings extend QO to Willie Cauley-Stein

Warriors: Willie if you take the min contract we will let you shoot as many jump shots as you like!! as long as its from STef or Dlo

Not surprisingly one bit. Been saying since the mid way point that he will be getting a rude awakening in free agnecy. Not worth over 10 mil. Look at the kack of big offers Capela got, and if Capella is the "Gold" standard of WCS archtype, then willie is not copper but zinc pennies in comparison.

That's very surprising. Willie might feel that contributing to a contender will increase his value. Have to imagine it's a short deal but that's an assumption on my part.

I have to say, I don't really like the comments here. I know Willie wasn't the most popular here, but people can show more class. It's not as if he did anything terrible during his time here. I wish him all the best, as long as it's not against the Kings.

I don't know why I'm so mad. The reason I started following the Kings in the first place is because I was a big fan of his coming out of the draft. Now he's betrayed me and joined a team I hate more than words can describe.

And I've got a feeling the Warriors will turn him into what he was supposed to be, on a minimum contract no less. I hope I'm wrong. And I hope Willie is still lazy.

Not surprisingly one bit. Been saying since the mid way point that he will be getting a rude awakening in free agnecy. Not worth over 10 mil. Look at the kack of big offers Capela got, and if Capella is the "Gold" standard of WCS archtype, then willie is not copper but zinc pennies in comparison.
Funnily enough, I think the Kings withdrawing the QO might have played a part in tanking his value.

Very odd. I mean he is worth more than the minimum I would think. Right?
Surprising to me, as well. I was among those who wanted to see him re-signed if the money was right, and I figured somewhere in the $10-$12 million range would be a steal. I understand that Willie was unpopular with a sizable segment of the fanbase, but he's just coming off his rookie contract. He's still only 25, and while he'll likely never live up to the potential many saw in him on draft day, he's absolutely a rotation big in the NBA, and certainly an above-minimum player.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Zach Lowe says WCS is signing for slighlt above the minimum. Wow.
This is shocking to me.

I have to figure it's related to off-the-court stuff and his obvious motivation problems, because he brought a lot more that a min contract to the table.

He had serious issues defending right at the rim (oddly, because that's one thing he should excel at) and he never got his jumper working, and his FTs sucked, but still, he put up 6.7 Win Shares last season (that's worth like $20M), WS/48 of 0.148 (well above average of 0.100), VORP liked him fine at 2.3, his PER was 18.0...all of the "basic" advanced stats liked him or loved him. He's got great size and great mobility for a big man, he can handle a switch onto a perimeter guy better than most big men ... and there was literally no market.

I don't get it.

This is shocking to me.

I have to figure it's related to off-the-court stuff and his obvious motivation problems, because he brought a lot more that a min contract to the table.

He had serious issues defending right at the rim (oddly, because that's one thing he should excel at) and he never got his jumper working, and his FTs sucked, but still, he put up 6.7 Win Shares last season (that's worth like $20M), WS/48 of 0.148 (well above average of 0.100), VORP liked him fine at 2.3, his PER was 18.0...all of the "basic" advanced stats liked him or loved him. He's got great size and great mobility for a big man, he can handle a switch onto a perimeter guy better than most big men ... and there was literally no market.

I don't get it.
Yea as much as I dislike him now, I definitely agree he is worth way more than this near-minimum. Any chance he actually agreed to play for that amount instead of big $ somewhere else? He was always so high on himself. Hmm.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
This is shocking to me.

I don't get it.
Eye test and intangibles. Things the stat sheet doesn’t show.

(I do think he’s worth more than the minimum to... someone.)

All Willie had to do was Try Hard to do his Job, Bring it every night, Tried to be a team player,
Actually showed Vlade he really wanted to be here, not be a self centered Jerk
and he could have been paid well right here

Vlade, the team, the fans could have overlooked some of his weaknesses
'
We ended up with two Hardworking Centers , they can shoot FT 's, Stretch the floor, Gee I think they can catch Lobs too
Bye Willie

Last edited:
Willie seems to be a tremendous athlete that grew to 7 feet tall. If you look at his bio he was a really good football player in high school and actually had a scholarship offer to play at Kansas. Unfortunately there aren't many 7 foot receivers at any levels so I would guess he decided to play basketball full time. Just don't think his heart is in the game and he just wants to get paid. My guess is he has a really good season and then gets his contract and he goes back to his old work habits.