Kings extend QO to Willie Cauley-Stein

Willie seems to be a tremendous athlete that grew to 7 feet tall. If you look at his bio he was a really good football player in high school and actually had a scholarship offer to play at Kansas. Unfortunately there aren't many 7 foot receivers at any levels so I would guess he decided to play basketball full time. Just don't think his heart is in the game and he just wants to get paid. My guess is he has a really good season and then gets his contract and he goes back to his old work habits.
Im not a football guy but what about cornerback or free safety errrr never mind it involves physicality. This guy is just soft he never added any strength to his frame.

Sorry but lol! If this dude had a little more humility and like just 20% more work ethic, would put his hands up on defense and just box out, he would have had a $15M/yr contract at least.

I think this is a good place for Willie. He will fit on that team and get a chance to show his worth.

The size of the contract in my opinion is the result of how this free agency unfolded with all the movement and maxes.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
As the season wore on, the amount of money I was willing to commit to Willie went down every few months. I'd say I started at ~18, then 16, 15, 14... but by the end I still had him pegged about 12 million but if you think about that, it was his contract year and he had all the incentive in the world to just put together one solid season and get a huge pay day - there is a long history of GMs who ignore history in contract years - but he just couldn't do it. Coupled with all his other questions I guess it cratered his entire market.

I'm so annoyed about this. I just want the Warriors to go away forever. They always get decent guys for the minimum. They just got Glenn Robinson III likely for the min too. Two players, while not amazing, are obviously worth more than that.

They were supposed to get guys like David Nwaba and Kosta. Come on.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
with the news of Willie signing with the Dubs, this is a nice slice of humble pie for him. Whether that changes his mindset and work ethic to become better is the question that remains. He may find himself out of the league before long or he may go down the Darren Collison path and retire and pursue other interests.

I really hope this was a "damn I didn't have any offers" signing rather than a "I want a ring" minimum signing. Willie never struck us as the type to taker a lesser role and lesser money so I dunno.
Wouldn’t put it past Willie to think the way to a ring is to join the Warriors. He may not be aware of the KD, Klay, Iguodala news

This is shocking to me.

I have to figure it's related to off-the-court stuff and his obvious motivation problems, because he brought a lot more that a min contract to the table.

He had serious issues defending right at the rim (oddly, because that's one thing he should excel at) and he never got his jumper working, and his FTs sucked, but still, he put up 6.7 Win Shares last season (that's worth like $20M), WS/48 of 0.148 (well above average of 0.100), VORP liked him fine at 2.3, his PER was 18.0...all of the "basic" advanced stats liked him or loved him. He's got great size and great mobility for a big man, he can handle a switch onto a perimeter guy better than most big men ... and there was literally no market.

I don't get it.
I’m telling you, when his agent insinuated that Willie needed more freedom after the way Dave Joerger over-respected him the way he did... that’s the kind of thing to get you low key blackballed. I wouldn’t want that attitude near me for any price. Colossal image blunder by his agent imo.

Well, everyone (WCS supporters included) said the market would determine his worth, and there you have it folks! I'm surprised myself that it's a minimum, but I'm not surprised that his market value is low. The problem has always been his inflated sense of self worth as a basketball player. Like I said, all he had to do was keep quiet, rebound and play D and he'd be looking at a 12-15M contract instead of ... This.

#BAGZSEASON

I don't like seeing any users leaving. Message boards are a slowly dying breed with the emergence of Reddit, so when people leave it puts a small dent in a user base that may already be shrinking. Banned users on the other hand, don't care.
I don't have any evidence to go off but I feel like it's getting slower around here. I think you have a point with reddit taking some of our shine but we'll see how things shake out.

I think this is a good place for Willie. He will fit on that team and get a chance to show his worth.

The size of the contract in my opinion is the result of how this free agency unfolded with all the movement and maxes.
Haha again blaming the market. How come Capela didn't face the same issue? How come the role players Vlade signed didn't face the same issue? It's as simple as this, if Willie is truly so prized and great and one of the better starting Cs as you have so often declared, he would have been signed for more than the min. Yes, cap space plays a role, but it always does and if signing a player is a priority teams will find a way to do so.

This is shocking to me.

I have to figure it's related to off-the-court stuff and his obvious motivation problems, because he brought a lot more that a min contract to the table.

He had serious issues defending right at the rim (oddly, because that's one thing he should excel at) and he never got his jumper working, and his FTs sucked, but still, he put up 6.7 Win Shares last season (that's worth like $20M), WS/48 of 0.148 (well above average of 0.100), VORP liked him fine at 2.3, his PER was 18.0...all of the "basic" advanced stats liked him or loved him. He's got great size and great mobility for a big man, he can handle a switch onto a perimeter guy better than most big men ... and there was literally no market.

I don't get it.

I agree, this was a mess-up but maybe not all about money Stein had a bunch of issues, but at 6M per year, he's good value. His lateral movement and ,perimeter,pick and roll defense is far above average. He could've been signed as a solid back-up center. This was more about public vendettas. Warriors thrive off the Kings dysfunction. Sounds like a spiteful signing.

I agree, this was a mess-up but maybe not all about money Stein had a bunch of issues, but at 6M per year, he's good value. His lateral movement and ,perimeter,pick and roll defense is far above average. He could've been signed as a solid back-up center. This was more about public vendettas. Warriors thrive off the Kings dysfunction. Sounds like a spiteful signing.
Wait, now it's Kings dysfunction that's the reason for this? Give me a break.

Well, everyone (WCS supporters included) said the market would determine his worth, and there you have it folks! I'm surprised myself that it's a minimum, but I'm not surprised that his market value is low. The problem has always been his inflated sense of self worth as a basketball player. Like I said, all he had to do was keep quiet, rebound and play D and he'd be looking at a 12-15M contract instead of ... This.

#BAGZSEASON
That really doesn't stop it from being incredibly surprising. Inflated egos almost never prevent teams from spending on a player, particularly when the price is right. WCS may overestimate his worth or value to a franchise, but the market usually corrects such overestimations accordingly. I just cannot believe that a minimum contract was all that Cauley-Stein--a reasonably productive 25-year-old coming off his best season with an above-average showing in a handful of highly-touted advanced stats--was able to secure. I never expected him to get the big money he was expecting to get, but anywhere in the range of $8-$12 million seemed like an absolute bargain for an above-average rotation big in the current market.

In other words, Golden State got an absolute steal here. Looney and Cauley-Stein give the Warriors a really solid rotation at the center position. Even as it seems like their team is falling apart, they are finding creative ways to stitch it back together.

That really doesn't stop it from being incredibly surprising. Inflated egos almost never prevent teams from spending on a player, particularly when the price is right. WCS may overestimate his worth or value to a franchise, but the market usually corrects such overestimations accordingly. I just cannot believe that a minimum contract was all that Cauley-Stein--a reasonably productive 25-year-old coming off his best season with an above-average showing in a handful of highly-touted advanced stats--was able to secure. I never expected him to get the big money he was expecting to get, but anywhere in the range of $8-$12 million seemed like an absolute bargain for an above-average rotation big in the current market.

In other words, Golden State got an absolute steal here. Looney and Cauley-Stein give the Warriors a really solid rotation at the center position. Even as it seems like their team is falling apart, they are finding creative ways to stitch it back together.
Agree, it's a steal given there's little downside and cost. My personal view was somewhere around 8million, but there were many here who said that was crazy, that he would get 15-20mil etc. Fans who suggested otherwise were treated with lots of snark too (yes, it goes both ways). I'm sorry to be the guy that says "I TOLD YOU SO", but well that's sorta the point of online discussion and debate. This was a big topic of discussion throughout the entire season, in game threads etc, and fact is the Willie superfans were dead wrong about his market value.

Not surprisingly one bit. Been saying since the mid way point that he will be getting a rude awakening in free agnecy. Not worth over 10 mil. Look at the kack of big offers Capela got, and if Capella is the "Gold" standard of WCS archtype, then willie is not copper but zinc pennies in comparison.
For the record, the few pennies that were made of zinc during the early 1940s, are very valuable. Copper was at a premium due to the war effort so Penney's or briefly made of zinc and I believe coated in Copper. Some of the rarest pennies around. Just saying