Kings do not pick up Giles and Caleb team options for next year!

Yeah don't think he plays anymore either. My guess is this is a play to potentially get him on the cheap after having him rehab the year again. Especially in a lost season, why would we run him out there when he's not apart of our future?
We're already paying him for this year. If he was going to rehab this year and potentially be ready next year, $4 million would not be too much to lock him down. We're going to risk losing him to try to save a million or two next season?

The only way this makes sense is if we're 100% done with him. If that's not the case, we're 100% stupid.

We're already paying him for this year. If he was going to rehab this year and potentially be ready next year, $4 million would not be too much to lock him down. We're going to risk losing him to try to save a million or two next season?

The only way this makes sense is if we're 100% done with him. If that's not the case, we're 100% stupid.
Yeah it doesn't make sense. Just trying to look for any sliver of intelligence in this move or something other than us letting another 1st round pick walk out the door for nothing. Especially one that loved Sacramento as much as Giles does.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It would be a much easier pill to swallow if they’d have actually said something when he blew it out again last year instead of pretending nothing was wrong. But what do you expect from this franchise.
Yeah, pretending that he bruised his thigh rather than damaged another ligament (or even if they had just gone with a generic "out (leg)" designation sorta made for odd optics.

Yeah it doesn't make sense. Just trying to look for any sliver of intelligence in this move or something other than us letting another 1st round pick walk out the door for nothing. Especially one that loved Sacramento as much as Giles does.
It looks like Vlade's drafting record is not so hot. Something like 2 for 10?

That is not acceptable for an NBA GM. Especially for a small market team that needs their draft picks to be home runs, Vlade can't even get a single?!?!

Vlade needs to go.... like 6 months ago!

If Giles was on a normal franchise, I'd say it's because they know his knees are shot.

Since he's on the Kings, it's probably because they either want to save $4mil or think they don't need him because Holmes is good. Can't really use logic with this franchise.

If he's unrestricted and we can't even bid market on him this is an indication team thinks he's done. Or someone doesn't understand the cap.

Just awful.
Well, we know Catanella knows the cap. I, for one, would posit this is still a bad business decision due to Harry being such a fan favorite. I hope Harry has found a home in Sacramento. I wish him the best. He'd make a tremendous coach or front office manager if his playing career has come to an end.

Last edited:
If Giles was on a normal franchise, I'd say it's because they know his knees are shot.

Since he's on the Kings, it's probably because they either want to save $4mil or think they don't need him because Holmes is good. Can't really use logic with this franchise.
Or... Vlade wants to use this to motivate him into doing well in rehab/on the court to get a new deal, while being painfully unaware of the cap limitations that prevent him from offering more than the $4 mil he would've been owed.

The third option is that they have reached some behind the scenes deal to circumvent the salary cap but every team who has tried that has gotten burned big time so even the best case scenario here is pretty much a turd sandwich. I just can't believe 2 weeks ago I was so excited for this season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The third option is that they have reached some behind the scenes deal to circumvent the salary cap but every team who has tried that has gotten burned big time so even the best case scenario here is pretty much a turd sandwich. I just can't believe 2 weeks ago I was so excited for this season.
The Carlos Boozer?

Or... Vlade wants to use this to motivate him into doing well in rehab/on the court to get a new deal, while being painfully unaware of the cap limitations that prevent him from offering more than the $4 mil he would've been owed.
I have enough faith in Ken that he would have relayed that information to Vlade. But can definitely see Vlade being like "Oh, there's no way he'll get a bigger deal than that, we fine".

Given what we saw when Orlando didn’t pick up Hezonja’s option, I believe the Kings are restricted in terms of what they can offer Harry.

Given the number of very good young players we could have had with the 10th pick this news is very disturbing. If it’s an injury thing that’s even worse the Kings have been lying since he injured it.

Best to trade him at this point. Yet another player who succeeds somewhere else. The more you see of this team the more it looks the same.

That logic would make no sense at all...... only a fool would use that type of logic in the NBA.... :rolleyes:

......I mean just because you have a good player at one position doesn't mean you pass on an even better talent at that same position, right?...... I mean this franchise would never make that type of mistake, would it?!?!?..... :confused:

That logic would make no sense at all...... only a fool would use that type of logic in the NBA.... :rolleyes:

......I mean just because you have a good player at one position doesn't mean you pass on an even better talent at that same position, right?...... I mean this franchise would never make that type of mistake, would it?!?!?..... :confused:
Well, the Kings passed on Donovan Mitchell and Luka Doncic, the former because he was a similar mold to Fox and the latter because he would take the ball out of Fox's hand.

Neither of them even play the same position.

what's a good secondary team to follow, or a new primary team. in case this really is a dumpster fire.

I think it is still possible that we right the ship, I'll give Walton 20 games. The logic that he needs more time to install a system that will win games makes sense to me, so I think 20 games is reasonable.

Not picking up Harry only makes sense to me if his knees are shot.

I never bought into Harry Giles' hype.

1. Harry missed his entire rookie year
  2. Harry only played 58 games in his first season debut
  3. Harry missed the entire SL+Preseason
  4. Harry has missed the teams' first 5 games in this season.
I can't believe the FO pushed this Harry Giles hype on the fanbase knowing damn well he would never be 100%. I think they were freaking out because Fox had a mediocre rookie year, while Justin Jackson looked down right terrible. They wanted to sell tickets, so then they started pumping out Harry Giles noise.

Our FO is downright terrible. This might be the first year that I'm going to check out from this team. I was livid at the Dave Joerger fire. I was livid at the Luke Walton hire. There's a reason why I barely even comment here anymore. This franchise doesn't deserve the support from Sacramento nor any of its fans.

0-5. Zero wins. Bottom of the entire league.

I never bought into Harry Giles' hype.

1. Harry missed his entire rookie year
  2. Harry only played 58 games in his first season debut
  3. Harry missed the entire SL+Preseason
  4. Harry has missed the teams' first 5 games in this season.
I can't believe the FO pushed this Harry Giles hype on the fanbase knowing damn well he would never be 100%. I think they were freaking out because Fox had a mediocre rookie year, while Justin Jackson looked down right terrible. They wanted to sell tickets, so then they started pumping out Harry Giles noise.

Our FO is downright terrible. This might be the first year that I'm going to check out from this team. I was livid at the Dave Joerger fire. I was livid at the Luke Walton hire. There's a reason why I barely even comment here anymore. This franchise doesn't deserve the support from Sacramento nor any of its fans.

0-5. Zero wins. Bottom of the entire league.
yo what's a good team to follow. Team that passes the ball around and plays good defense, that'd be cool to watch.

There's no way. We can only pay him $3.9 mil on a new contract.

The literal only way this makes sense is if Giles won't physically be able to play again. Any other reason, there's no justification for it. You gave up all your flexibility to keep him long-term because you want to save $4mil? Yet you spend $60 mil this off-season on vets doing pretty much nothing right now? There goes another blown 1st round pick on Vlades record (Papa, Skal, Malachi, WCS, Giles, JJ) while passing on Zach Collins who's well on his way to being a damn good starter in this league (as many of us predicted during that draft).

Said it last night, said it again. Only good thing that comes from this season is we oust Vlade and get a real professional to the right the ship.
Zach Collins? How about any one of John Collins, Donavan Mitchell, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma ..... it was a good draft. Vlade screwed it up!!

Zach Collins? How about any one of John Collins, Donavan Mitchell, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma ..... it was a good draft. Vlade screwed it up!!
Just thinking the player we likely end up taking in that spot.

But yep. Was really hard to screw up that draft and we managed to take 2 chances to screw it up. wonderful

gunks

Hall of Famer
Done.

Peace.

Goodbye.

I’m actually gonna rage for awhile. Watch this world burn. I don’t even care anymore.
You're the first person I thought of when I saw this! Was about to start a SLAB suicide watch thread.

Anyhow, this sucks, I feel really bad for Giles because I have no doubt that they'd pick up his option if his knees were ok. He's probably done as an NBA player.

I can see some trades coming before the end of the year. One of our shooting guards and at least one big. I can see the two we just declined going as filler.

Probably seeing what WCS got on the open market, they think Giles will be getting less than 4 million, although it looks like the most it would save them is a couple of million if they were to sign him at the minimum next year. Obviously, not a popular decision with the kingsfan base.