Kings discussing trade for Kanter?- Woj

They have about a 7 million salary difference, Kanter & Randolph.

My best guess is Ben or Kosta get involved or no trade.
Did you see Ben last night? We are not trading the GOAT ;) . I would like us to do a 2-for-1 however to free up a roster spot for Wenyen Gabriel or Troy Williams. I would guess the Knicks don't want Z-Bo and Kosta so we would need to find a third team and send them a couple of 2nd rounders. The problem is I don't think there are any teams with 9M of cap space to absorb Kosta so other players would have to be added.

I would not mind adding Kanter. He would take the minutes Kosta gets. All those great drop passes our guards give to Kosta would be finished by Kanter instead of bobbling or bricking. Kosta has slipped defensively so we are not losing much there. It is possible Joerger would use Kanter to the detriment of Giles, that would be the possible downside. I don't think Kanter would get in the way of MB3 playing time, Joerger loves himself some MB3.

Dont do this

We may need the cap space and ZBO ender to get Porter from Wizards for WCS

If we dont trade WCS, then we dont need another Big to take minutes from Bags and Giles.

Give up flexability for a trade to get SF, for 6 months of Kanter who is a bad teammate, bad defender, cry baby
just to get a few more rebounds? would rather just play Koufos

Hopefully so, and I think your right that we need to use our salary cap this year for good things. I’m assuming we aren’t taking the difference between Zach/Kanter without sending out more salary. We need to use the space this year for a great asset, even if it means taking more salary for next season when more teams will have space and it will mean less

There is no worse rim protection than WCS, none
We didn't make our run in the first half until WCS went to the bench. Our lead collapsed in the 3rd with WCS playing like crap. If we were not overly cautious with a healthy player "feeling great", Bagley would have replaced those minutes sooner and we would have won. Willie made some nice plays with a couple of blocks and a steal but it took him 46 minutes to play with some intensity and anticipation. Teams are getting smart in scouting us and game planning us. The Suns overplayed everybody except Willie and once Willie had the ball they tried to deny passes and turn him into a scorer. It worked and more teams are going to do it.

Dont do this

If we dont trade WCS, then we dont need another Big to take minutes from Bags and Giles.

Give up flexability for a trade to get SF, for 6 months of Kanter who is a bad teammate, bad defender, cry baby
We have plenty of other enders we can ship to get Porter if that's even on the table. It looks like it is not.

Hard to believe but the team probably has a better shot at making the Eastern playoffs than we do in the West.

Dont do this

That is why we have to trade Z-Bo and Koufos for Kanter or no deal. This will gain us 1.8M in cap space :p

The 3rd team is a big detail. We don’t want to give up our cap space hence wanting to add another ender. Knicks want give up Kanter but also want space. Kanter still serviceable while zbo hasn't played a game. They wont trade Enders if it's a wash. Hence the trade isnt close to being done.

Teams are getting smart in scouting us and game planning us. The Suns overplayed everybody except Willie and once Willie had the ball they tried to deny passes and turn him into a scorer. It worked and more teams are going to do it.
This has been happening for the last 8 games or so. Willie can rim run, but not a reliable scorer in the paint in a set offense. Bagley was that interior scorer before. Teams were starting to double team Bagley. When he went down, teams took advantage. I would think this plays a part in why they are looking at Kanter. Bagley can do what Willie does, plus more. Having Kanter keeps the threat of a post scorer on the floor at any given time.

That is why we have to trade Z-Bo and Koufos for Kanter or no deal. This will gain us 1.8M in cap space :p
But if they are all enders then there is no impact to next summer, But if we trade for Kanter now I dont think we could include Kanter in a WCS,Kanter, for SF trade by trade deadline?

so third team Wiz

Sac out Zbo,Shump,KK,wcs,ben in Porter,Kanter
NY out Kanter, In Zbo,KK
Wiz out porter.In Ben,WCS,Shump

Works on Real GM

Sac gets Rebounding,SF still gets 18mil cap next yr
NY gets Kanter out, half yr KK on bench no sal diff
Wiz gets tax relief, assets in WCS,shump or cap space next yr

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogie
Porter.JJ, Williams
Belica,Bagley,Skal
Kanter,Giles

so third team Wiz

NY out Kanter, In Zbo,KK

Works on Real GM

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogie
Porter.JJ, Williams
Belica,Bagley,Skal
Kanter,Giles
Interesting....I don't think they are looking to make such a drastic change, but that has the potential for both current and future positive impact on the team.

so third team Wiz

NY out Kanter, In Zbo,KK

Works on Real GM

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogie
Porter.JJ, Williams
Belica,Bagley,Skal
Kanter,Giles
Great for Kings. Scraps for Wiz - I think they say nah.

Keep shump if you can. If not package him with the notion that he will help the wiz with their culture change and that is the most valuable piece here - they are a mess and need strong vets. Shumps impact here is well documented

Drive him to the airport and tell him you are sorry and plant the seeds to resign him next season as a UFA.

I still doubt that the Wiz send Otto off after giving up Oubre for nothing. They havent reached blow up status yet

If we can trade ZBo for Kanter straight up, I think you would have to do it. The talent upgrade would be too great, considering ZBo hasn't stepped foot on a court all year.

You would just have to work a separate trade for a SF later. WCS would become trade bait at that point.

Some variation of this plus as many 2nd rounders financially get the deal done.

View attachment 8736

Kings after

PG: Fox/Yogi
SG: Buddy/Bogi
SF: Porter/Shump/JJ/Williams
PF: Bjelly/Giles/Gabriel
C: Bagley/Kanter

We'd have to convert Williams and Gebriel to full contracts and pick up a back up PG on the wire, or maybe add McCaw? That would get us to 14 players.
If the Kings could get Kanter and Otto Porter for a straight salary dump and WCS, Vlade should get GM of the year.

The Kings would be in prime position to make a solid playoff run for many years with that team.

If the Kings could get Kanter and Otto Porter for a straight salary dump and WCS, he should get GM of the year.

The would be in prime position to make a solid playoff run for many years with that team.
Agreed - we need to make savy moves as such leveraging the cap space we have and expirings.

WCS is a worthy trade chip.

We can not miss this opportunity and must be active on the trade front. Vlade needs to realize that he has assets that he must use and this isnt about development more so than ensuring we dont utilize our assets fully for gainful returns. Having expirings come off our books for nothing would be a ridiculous mistake

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think there are much better ways to use that difference in cap space but value for value no question the Kings pick up talent in a deal like this, and major rebounding. Which I think is the basis of the interest.

Keep shump if you can. If not package him with the notion that he will help the wiz with their culture change and that is the most valuable piece here - they are a mess and need strong vets. Shumps impact here is well documented

Drive him to the airport and tell him you are sorry and plant the seeds to resign him next season as a UFA.

I still doubt that the Wiz send Otto off after giving up Oubre for nothing. They havent reached blow up status yet
Yeah, I would agree.

The Wiz would want at the minimum to get below the Luxury tax this year if they trade Otto Porter. That would be difficult if the Kings took on Kanter's contract, unless New York takes on another of our enders, to preserve our cap space.

At some point though, the Wizards are going to have to blow it up and Otto seems the likeliest candidate to be moved, since he is overpriced and also currently coming off the bench for Trevor Ariza.

If we get Kanter, I would try to sell WCS as their future center. If we can help them re-set their Luxury Tax penalty this year, they would have more flexibility to build their team in subsequent years.

If the Wiz prefers the lower cost Ariza at SF versus the super expensive Otto Porter, they could save the money from Porter to re-sign WCS as their future starting center.

It would be about building a team in Washington and them needing a future center. They have a lower cost replacement at SF in Ariza, which they should be able to re-sign at a much lower price this summer than what they are paying Porter. The money they save can go to re-signing WCS.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Wall is the best thing that could have ever happened to Porter and the Wiz. The time to get him for nothing would be before he jumps up a level role wise. He should now get a real shot to produce. He's still waaay overpaid but unless he flops it's only going to help them.

so third team Wiz

NY out Kanter, In Zbo,KK

Works on Real GM

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogie
Porter.JJ, Williams
Belica,Bagley,Skal
Kanter,Giles
I think the reason we haven't acquired Porter yet is because the Wizards want Bogs back, which we would never do. The Wizards don't want Willie and they are not interested in a salary dump for Porter. Unless they come off this position, I don't see a deal. I hope if Jackson continues to play well, the Wizards would want him but I doubt it. Jackson has less talent than Oubre, a guy they traded away. It is possible the Wizards would take Bjelica, again something we would resist. If it took us giving up Bjelica and expirings to get Porter however, I would do it.

Thinking the Wizards (or any team) would want Willie is a far fetched. It is too easy for a GM to talk themselves out of Willie, a below average rebounder non-shot blocker (aside from rare flashes) non-charge drawer and delusions of grandeur scorer. Willie is in a perfect situation in a contract year with extremely supportive coach yet it has not come together. If anything the opportunity granted has exposed his limitations. What is going to happen under less than perfect situation in a non-contract year? That is what GMs are thinking and they don't like the answer. You cannot watch Willie do his spin move or faux power move and not cringe! Other GMs are cringing.

Maybe the Wizards would settle for Bjelica after accepting they are not getting Bogs. If I was them I would also ask for Troy Williams, Wenyen Gabriel and/or Mason too. Since the Knicks don't want Koufos and Z-Bo, let me come up with a 3-team trade with us netting Porter. The Knicks save 1.4M in cap space. They might want a couple of 2nd rounders which we could throw in. The Wizards get one proven player (Bjelica) and two prospects (Mason, Skal) for Porter.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 2.52.28 PM.png

If we get Kanter, I would try to sell WCS as their future center.
Speaking of "selling WCS" it could be that was part of the motivation of Joerger saying Willie was "having a great year", to boost his perceived value. A great year would be 60% TS% (not 53% TS%) two blocks per game (not 0.6 blocks) and 75% FTs (not 52.5%) among other issues.

so Bigs min last 2 games:

WCS 17,31
Beli 21,16
Bags 20,0
Giles 17,16
Kosta 13,11
JJ-bal 8,22

96 per game

So if we trade Zbo for Enes, Where does he get his minutes?

With Bags back JJ min will go down

Even if you give Enes ALL of KK minutes, he will be so unhappy coming off the bench for 15 min?
You give him Giles Min? right when he is coming out of his shell?
That is why he wants out of NY to get meaningful starter min

With no WCS trade this is a big mistake