[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Huerter, 85 times out of 100.
IDK how much of the green light was Reaves being part of the NBA trying to get LA into the postseason.

I think he is an above average scorer, but his defense is beyond atrocious. Not because he doesn't try (hey Harden), but because he's objectively bad at it. His FIFA stint magnified it. Every team went at him when they had a chance. I think Huerter is at least competent on defense.

That said, I don't think Huerter has ever been given the same green light or opportunity to be "the guy" or score in buckets, and that's not fair because that's not his game.

Just thinking about some of the big home wins we just couldn't nab this past season, aside from game 1 and 2. The Wolves game, the Spurs game toward the end of the season, and games 5 +7 were all losses and it's just bothering me a little as i reflect. I pray this coming season is a nice healthy combination of the guts, grit and poise we showed in Golden State to force game 7, with some true homecourt advantage.

So I am just wondering, but if you had a choice between Austin Reaves and Kevin Huerter, who would you pick? They both had month long slumps where they both shot > 33% 3pt. This doesn't deserve its own thread or anything. I was just looking at both the players games on youtube and they seemed a bit similar (game wise, not because they are white). They play the same position, same age, Huerter is 2" taller but otherwise they are pretty much the same build.

Personally I would go with Huerter but only 51 out of 100 times.. The other 49 I would go with Reaves lol
Reaves was very impressive in the playoffs so for that alone, i'd probably go with him. Huerter is great for us, don't get me wrong, i just need to see him be a lot more consistent in clutch situations for us on both ends of the court. That streakiness of his felt maybe a bit more chaotic than it actually was on paper, but it still concerns me a little.

But i am super happy we're going into a training camp and preseason without a bunch of unknowns and unanswered questions. It feels good to know what we have and what to expect, for the most part while a lot of these other teams have to hope all of their fancy and new big name pieces fit. I expect us to smack some teams around early in the season based on continuity and chemistry alone, if healthy of course.

For whatever reason, post-stomp Domas seemed to reinforce this opinion that Domas is a late season disappearing act for people that have blissfully ignored his career. I just can't believe people can write off the stomp or the ridiculous officiating the Dubs received that allowed them to continue to maul Domas for the remainder of the series.
It was so disgusting to witness. I hope we're healthy and destroy them next season

Just thinking about some of the big home wins we just couldn't nab this past season, aside from game 1 and 2. The Wolves game, the Spurs game toward the end of the season, and games 5 +7 were all losses and it's just bothering me a little as i reflect. I pray this coming season is a nice healthy combination of the guts, grit and poise we showed in Golden State to force game 7, with some true homecourt advantage.
I think that is the real question about this team taking the big leap to become legit title contenders.

We showed that we could win on the road, which was great, but for some reason we couldn't take advantage of the home court advantage. We were just a mediocre 23-18..... IF the Kings can get that home court advantage going this year and have at least a 30-11 record at home, the Kings should win 50-56 games, making them legit title contenders. This team needs to parlay the crazy home crowd, atmosphere, noise and make opponents fear coming into Golden One this year!

I think that is the real question about this team taking the big leap to become legit title contenders.

We showed that we could win on the road, which was great, but for some reason we couldn't take advantage of the home court advantage. We were just a mediocre 23-18..... IF the Kings can get that home court advantage going this year and have at least a 30-11 record at home, the Kings should win 50-56 games, making them legit title contenders. This team needs to parlay the crazy home crowd, atmosphere, noise and make opponents fear coming into Golden One this year!
I have mentioned this before, but it could be that Golden One is so noisy during the games that the players have trouble communicating on defense. The team's defense was far better on the road. There are plenty of things that could be done to lower the decibel level. I was at a college game this past season, and the music plus announcers were positively deafening--we all had to use something to block out the noise. They turned off the music during play, at least.

I have mentioned this before, but it could be that Golden One is so noisy during the games that the players have trouble communicating on defense. The team's defense was far better on the road. There are plenty of things that could be done to lower the decibel level. I was at a college game this past season, and the music plus announcers were positively deafening--we all had to use something to block out the noise. They turned off the music during play, at least.
I think the players just got lazy tbh. They felt they could coast more on defense because their offense would be firing on all cylinders I think.

We already know how to win on the road.. We were #2 on the road in the entire NBA. If we can learn to win at home we would have easily been the #1 seed.. If we were 35-6 at home like Memphis we would have been 60-22 ..... Which would have been the best record in the NBA.

Reaves was very impressive in the playoffs so for that alone, i'd probably go with him.
If postseason performance is the deciding factor for you, Red Velvet had a more impressive postseason run a few years back with Atlanta.

Huerter was among the main reasons ATL advanced to the ECF’s.

That was one of the reasons I was so baffled by his performances this past Spring. He’d been there before (and even deeper into the playoffs) and stepped up big time.

Well, I mean beyond that it's one of those trades that pulls in opposite directions. Why take on FVV's deal for a pick? You would want short deals, youth, and picks in a trade like that. If a team trades their superstar hope is out the window. Rebuild or pay. Kings fans know it all too well.