[KINGS] Comments about the Kings that don't warrant their own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I didn’t really have a place to put this, so I’d stick it here. Maybe the “chicken little” thread, but that’s more Giles-centric. Mini-rant / pessimism coming, feel free to skip. :p

Over the last month or so the optimism I had going into this season has started fading. And I didn’t even have the Kings as a playoff team. I was considering .500 success. A rising 500 team with a bunch of young guns. But Giles is broken. In my opinion, it’s more than “chicken little.” I think it harkens back to the bruise. But there’s a whole thread for that. There’s Buddy negotiating through the media now. Again, a whole thread. And then on the drive into work Carmichael Dave was openly opining “When are we simply going to admit the Kings missed this pick?” Regarding Doncic/Bagley (which I still believe, though not as much as right after the draft last season) Something about how he asked the question was just a punch in the stomach.

It’ll only take a few wins to knock this out of me, but as of right now I’m pretty down about the team heading into the season.

Prove me wrong boys.

I didn’t really have a place to put this, so I’d stick it here. Maybe the “chicken little” thread, but that’s more Giles-centric. Mini-rant / pessimism coming, feel free to skip. :p

Over the last month or so the optimism I had going into this season has started fading. And I didn’t even have the Kings as a playoff team. I was considering .500 success. A rising 500 team with a bunch of young guns. But Giles is broken. In my opinion, it’s more than “chicken little.” I think it harkens back to the bruise. But there’s a whole thread for that. There’s Buddy negotiating through the media now. Again, a whole thread. And then on the drive into work Carmichael Dave was openly opining “When are we simply going to admit the Kings missed this pick?” Regarding Doncic/Bagley (which I still believe, though not as much as right after the draft last season) Something about how he asked the question was just a punch in the stomach.

It’ll only take a few wins to knock this out of me, but as of right now I’m pretty down about the team heading into the season.

Prove me wrong boys.
Step off the ledge. The season hasn't even started yet. ;)

Come Monday, I think that Buddy will come to his senses and sign the best offer the Kings give him.

Giles will be handled with kids gloves for the foreseeable future and you can tell he is frustrated with that. I think that is good, because I think he feels he can play, but the team is being overly cautious with him.

If and when Bagley develops into a 20+ppg/12 rpg / 1.5blks player in a year or two, is that really a miss?

It's a good time to be a Kings fan, just sit back and watch this thing blossom! ;)

Per Bold prediction article

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...the-2019-20-nba-season/ar-AAJ7MVN?ocid=msn360

Kings win 50-plus games
© Sergio Estrada-USA TODAY Sports
Sacramento is coming off its best season (39 wins) since all the way back in 2005-06. It joins the New Orleans Pelicans as the team with the most talented young core in the Western Conference. De’Aaron Fox was a dynamo as a sophomore last season. Buddy Hield is coming into his own as a scorer. Marvin Bagley III was among the best rookies in the game.

Vlade Divac and Co. also added veterans Cory Joseph, Trevor Ariza and Dewayne Dedmon to the mix this summer while retaining underrated forward Harrison Barnes. Look for it all to come together under talented first-year coach Luke Walton, leading to 50-plus wins in California’s capital city.

I am a Trae Young guy.. But yah.. Nah I like Fox, he grew on me so I wouldn't have traded him for Trae and another pick. But both Trae and Doncic are doing REALLY well.
I would trade Fox for young quite easily. I also like fox but young is a better playmaker and has a higher offensive ceiling with his deep range shooting ability. His percentages aren’t that good yet, but he has three point attempts willingness and I believe he will be an excellent shooter with high volume. Fox is a great finisher and a good playmaker, but his three point shooting is a serious cap on his potential.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like that Coach Walton is doing most of the talking in this video.
I like the fact that Walton is teaching and Buddy is listening. At least I hope he's listening, rather than just "hearing." I also like the body language, not sitting across from one another, but instead side by side. Walton obviously wants to coach Buddy up as much as possible. Now we all get to see to what effect. I really think that there won't be any guess-work as far as whether Buddy has gotten on board with Walton. It will be very transparent on the floor. Or not.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Buddy is exhibit A that BBIQ is at some level innate. If you could learn something by working hard Buddy would have done so already.
Yep. I look at it in a couple of ways. Either Buddy can do what Walton wants, but he doesn't want to. Or Buddy can't do what Walton wants even though he does want to. If it's the latter situation, then Buddy needs to stop trying to do what he's not good at and just do what he is good at. That's where Walton needs to define a stricter, more limited role for Buddy so he can shine in that role. I've felt for at least a year now that he should be much more like a Reddick who moves without the ball over screens and catches and shoots off the pass (with a two or three dribble limit) rather than a guy like Brogdan who gets his own shot and makes plays for others. Maybe I'm wrong. It's going to be interesting to see how the situation evolves.

Yep. I look at it in a couple of ways. Either Buddy can do what Walton wants, but he doesn't want to. Or Buddy can't do what Walton wants even though he does want to. If it's the latter situation, then Buddy needs to stop trying to do what he's not good at and just do what he is good at. That's where Walton needs to define a stricter, more limited role for Buddy so he can shine in that role. I've felt for at least a year now that he should be much more like a Reddick who moves without the ball over screens and catches and shoots off the pass (with a two or three dribble limit) rather than a guy like Brogdan who gets his own shot and makes plays for others. Maybe I'm wrong. It's going to be interesting to see how the situation evolves.
From everything I have heard about Buddy I doubt it’s the former. No one is more willing and works harder than Buddy.

From everything I have heard about Buddy I doubt it’s the former. No one is more willing and works harder than Buddy.
Buddy seems to improve his decision making by playing. Each of the past two seasons he has started off making at least 3+ bonehead plays a game. He seems to reduce to 2 or fewer by the end of the season. He needs to find a way to start the season that way.

According to NBA.com, our Kings have played 2nd most difficult schedule in the league, only the Bucks have played a “tougher” schedule.

Oh, and we also moved up 5 spots in their power rankings :p

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2019-20-week-5
What stood out to me in this article? Thanks for asking. Ben Mclemore getting 30+ minutes for the Rockets the last few games. Averaging 20pts. Not bad. Significant contributions on a top team.

Status
Not open for further replies.