[KINGS] Comments about the Kings that don't warrant their own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great interview of Buddy Hield by Grant & Doug during the third summer league game.

Buddy is really easy to root for : he's funny and enjoyable.

He said he wants to become an elite 2 guard in the NBA and he wants to become better at drawing fouls and getting to the line. He also acknowledged he has to continue improving his defense.
He said the young nucleus (himself, Fox, Bagley, Bogdanovic) has to step up in order to make the Kings a better team.
He seems to like Luke Walton and said he was a players coach.
Goal for next season is clearly the Playoffs.

He also made fun of Peja and, during the interview, you can really feel that there is a great chemistry between the players and also with the front office.
In my opinion, it looks like there is a great relationship between the C-Webb/Divac generation and the actual one. Music to fans ears.

Also worth mentionning : Doug Christie referred at assistant coach Bob Beyer as a "defensive guru" and he said he was very impressed with his defensive work.

(PS : I hope that I understood everything well and that my transcribtion is correct)

I’m so pumped for this upcoming season. Most experts had our offseason pegged at a very low grade but they don’t realize that we weren’t trying to swing for the fences or get the big guns in here. We have our big guns. We were looking for players to do the dirty work and stay out of the way and we got that. We are way deeper than last year and even with marginal improvements from everybody we are in the playoff race at minimum.

I think with Bagley starting, Barnes getting more acclimated, Bogi not having to carry the entire bench by himself, more consistency from the 5 spot, and being 2 deep at every position, I am expecting a minimum of a 5 game improvement, possibly more if things go our way. There were a few games last year that we lost and should have won plus Joerger definitely threw away the last game as a giant middle finger to the organization.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Great interview of Buddy Hield by Grant & Doug during the third summer league game.

Buddy is really easy to root for : he's funny and enjoyable.

He said he wants to become an elite 2 guard in the NBA and he wants to become better at drawing fouls and getting to the line. He also acknowledged he has to continue improving his defense.
He said the young nucleus (himself, Fox, Bagley, Bogdanovic) has to step up in order to make the Kings a better team.
He seems to like Luke Walton and said he was a players coach.
Goal for next season is clearly the Playoffs.

He also made fun of Peja and, during the interview, you can really feel that there is a great chemistry between the players and also with the front office.
In my opinion, it looks like there is a great relationship between the C-Webb/Divac generation and the actual one. Music to fans ears.

Also worth mentionning : Doug Christie referred at assistant coach Bob Beyer as a "defensive guru" and he said he was very impressed with his defensive work.

(PS : I hope that I understood everything well and that my transcribtion is correct)

To me, this is the primary key with Hield. Nobody can deny his work ethic. The only question is whether he works on defense as much as offense. To make a big jump in wins next season Hield needs to study the film and work with Beyer to become a consistently good defensive player. In addition, he needs to see the floor better on offense. Too many times he would jack up a shot while being closely covered while Bogs or some other wing was all by his lonesome at the 3 point line.

To me, this is the primary key with Hield. Nobody can deny his work ethic. The only question is whether he works on defense as much as offense. To make a big jump in wins next season Hield needs to study the film and work with Beyer to become a consistently good defensive player. In addition, he needs to see the floor better on offense. Too many times he would jack up a shot while being closely covered while Bogs or some other wing was all by his lonesome at the 3 point line.
He did also mention that he needs to move the ball more.

Just heard on ESPN the Kings intended to take Alen Smailagic with the 40th pick but the Warriors traded up ahead of them.
Yeah, they said that I think at the beginning of SL on some commentary I heard. Should have done their homework. Admiral and Ignas were great fallback value. But tried and true, Vlades plan B options are always of the WTF variety. Fifth center, another SG or two, it's all the same.

Admiral and Ignas were great fallback value. But tried and true, Vlades plan B options are always of the WTF variety. Fifth center, another SG or two, it's all the same.
You don't know whether your choices were better or worse. You also don't know that Vlad's plan B options (if that's even what they were) are of the WTF variety. Have some patience to see how things play out. Maybe all four of them won't be in the league in 4 years?

Nobody knows anything yet.

You don't know whether your choices were better or worse. You also don't know that Vlad's plan B options (if that's even what they were) are of the WTF variety. Have some patience to see how things play out. Maybe all four of them won't be in the league in 4 years?

Nobody knows anything yet.
Maybe but I do know that wings with size and skill are of tremendous value right now. The point remains as it did on draft night. Odds are JJ goes undrafted and the possibility exists that he could have had them all. And Vlade has had a few of the WTF variety over the years. Papagiannis ring a bell? He's proven already to be more than willing to skip on the next best available to take a stab in the dark. So far, it hasn't really worked for him. The post was about their real target being the one that the Warriors nabbed from him. He then chose two SG's at a moment where it's going to be very hard for players like that to make an impression even if capable.

And Vlade has had a few of the WTF variety over the years. Papagiannis ring a bell?
I find it curious that you mention the one draft red flag but don't also mention the trade down preceding it that netted Bogdanovic. Don't the good moves help balance out the bad? Shouldn't they be factored in equally??

Vlade's 1st round draft choices since taking over in 2015 have largely been ok or quite good. He's not hit on a 2nd rounder, but those are long shot picks anyway.

While his Philly trade was terrible and certainly an on-the-job learning experience, the biggest, most high profile trade he's made seems to be working out better and better with each passing day. I was firmly against the Cousins trade for numerous reasons, most of all I didn't feel Vlade got enough return. But in hindsight I can admit that I was wrong.

So far that trade has landed Buddy Hield, Harry Giles, and Harrison Barnes (via the JJ trade). Some will also say De'Aaron Fox since the prevailing thought is that the KINGS may have won too many games with Boogie still on the team to land #3 then #5 via the swap. You can decide for yourself.

Regardless, Vlade has done far more good than bad which is precisely why this team is young, exciting and quickly on the rise.

Because of that, and what I 've seen from both Kyle Guy and Justin James in SL, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to see how things develop.

I find it curious that you mention the one draft red flag but don't also mention the trade down preceding it that netted Bogdanovic. Don't the good moves help balance out the bad? Shouldn't they be factored in equally??

Vlade's 1st round draft choices since taking over in 2015 have largely been ok or quite good. He's not hit on a 2nd rounder, but those are long shot picks anyway.

While his Philly trade was terrible and certainly an on-the-job learning experience, the biggest, most high profile trade he's made seems to be working out better and better with each passing day. I was firmly against the Cousins trade for numerous reasons, most of all I didn't feel Vlade got enough return. But in hindsight I can admit that I was wrong.

So far that trade has landed Buddy Hield, Harry Giles, and Harrison Barnes (via the JJ trade). Some will also say De'Aaron Fox since the prevailing thought is that the KINGS may have won too many games with Boogie still on the team to land #3 then #5 via the swap. You can decide for yourself.

Regardless, Vlade has done far more good than bad which is precisely why this team is young, exciting and quickly on the rise.

Because of that, and what I 've seen from both Kyle Guy and Justin James in SL, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to see how things develop.
Because it has nothing to do with who he drafted. We're specifically talking about draft picks here. He could have made the trade and still not picked another center. His trades and signings the last few years are something I have no argument with but that isn't the point. You can critique one part of the Vlades record without dumping on the others. His drafts outside of the obvious choices, which include draft night drops BTW, have been largely failures.

His drafts outside of the obvious choices, which include draft night drops BTW, have been largely failures.
See, that’s the thing. You continue to cherry pick. The ‘obvious choices’ factor into his draft history too. And IMO you’re wrong to call them ‘obvious’. Because you’re doing it through hindsight.

At the time Swipa was drafted, there were a lot of arm chair fans on this site that didn’t agree with it. Same with the Bagley pick. So it’s not fair to label those as obvious.

Other than Papa G and Skal, what other 1st rounder didn’t become at least a solid rotational player or starter? WCS was a starter. JJ was a rotational player before being moved for Barnes and Giles is on the rise. He’s really only missed badly on one 1st rounder but made up for it by acquiring Bogdanovic, something you’re not giving credit for.

Labeling his draft’s as failures over 2nd round picks is just flat ridiculous. You’re not being realistic or fair.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That guy's whole feed is a joke. I am not sure he is in on it though. Jeeeesus.
I did not watch the video he put up (which might be clarifying), but there are really only two possibilities.

1) He is unwell
2) This is some lame attempt at a bad joke and he's totally doing it on purpose for the lulz

There is no possibility #3.

I did not watch the video he put up (which might be clarifying), but there are really only two possibilities.

1) He is unwell
2) This is some lame attempt at a bad joke and he's totally doing it on purpose for the lulz

There is no possibility #3.
Those were the only conclusions I could reach either and it's also fair to say that even if Item 2 is true it is not mutually exclusive from Item 1.

This comment actually does warrant it's own thread.

See, that’s the thing. You continue to cherry pick. The ‘obvious choices’ factor into his draft history too. And IMO you’re wrong to call them ‘obvious’. Because you’re doing it through hindsight.

At the time Swipa was drafted, there were a lot of arm chair fans on this site that didn’t agree with it. Same with the Bagley pick. So it’s not fair to label those as obvious.

Other than Papa G and Skal, what other 1st rounder didn’t become at least a solid rotational player or starter? WCS was a starter. JJ was a rotational player before being moved for Barnes and Giles is on the rise. He’s really only missed badly on one 1st rounder but made up for it by acquiring Bogdanovic, something you’re not giving credit for.

Labeling his draft’s as failures over 2nd round picks is just flat ridiculous. You’re not being realistic or fair.
I don't remember very many people not agreeing with drafting Fox. It seemed like about 90% of us were happy to have a talented PG that actually wanted to be here. The only knocks on him came from his 3 point shooting. I don't remember many people wanting Isaac, Markkanen, Smith or Mitchell over Fox. There were 1 or 2 fans of each player but the general consensus was happiness when Fox was drafted.

Bagley was much more of a mixed bag obviously.

Vlade's 2016 draft was a disaster but his trades were very good. Don't forget he flipped Belinelli for the 22nd pick but flopped by selecting Malachi. I remember a lot of people here wanting Wade Baldwin at 13 and when he wasn't selected, many wanted Dejounte Murray with the 22nd or 28th pick. PapaG was a wtf pick. Malachi was kind of a groan from most of us and people were ok with Skal because of the potential talent level he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.