Kings Coaching Quest Begins Anew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, but McNair could’ve pushed him out sooner. Maybe he was pushed out, but just allowed to do a ZBO the last two years.
He was a cap wizard not a talent guy so I'm sure he was useful in some way, my guess is it won't even be a replacement as much as he became redundant after Monte and Wilcox took over. If anything they'll probably use his budget to increase the other positions they are turning over.

Deuce and Mo had a pretty good segment on the coaching search. Just a couple notes:

Steve Clifford turned both Charlotte and Orlando into top ten defensive teams in each of his first two years with those respective squads.

Mike Brown, had winning seasons in 6 out of 8 years, yeah we've heard of Lebron but worth noting. Also, is only 52 and has been with the same team (probably top 5 run franchise) since 2016. As much crap as he gets (I can't say if he actually deserves it) that is a pretty impressive resume. Not to mention the success for the National team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Deuce and Mo had a pretty good segment on the coaching search. Just a couple notes:

Steve Clifford turned both Charlotte and Orlando into top ten defensive teams in each of his first two years with those respective squads.

Mike Brown, had winning seasons in 6 out of 8 years, yeah we've heard of Lebron but worth noting. Also, is only 52 and has been with the same team (probably top 5 run franchise) since 2016. As much crap as he gets (I can't say if he actually deserves it) that is a pretty impressive resume. Not to mention the success for the National team.
could it be that fans and others may view Brown the same way they viewed Monty Williams? I remember Kings fans turning their nose at interviewing Monty when he was available because of his stints in New Orleans. That's not to say Mike Brown could have the same success Monty has had with Phoenix but just a scenario that popped in my head as I was reading this.

could it be that fans and others may view Brown the same way they viewed Monty Williams? I remember Kings fans turning their nose at interviewing Monty when he was available because of his stints in New Orleans. That's not to say Mike Brown could have the same success Monty has had with Phoenix but just a scenario that popped in my head as I was reading this.
Yeh I remember a lot of fans not wanting Williams. I don’t know if Brown is a good candidate or not but I don’t think it hurts to interview

I like Clifford. What he was able to do, with the talent he had, was pretty good. Both the Hornets and the Magic went from near last in the league in defense to top 5 the season he takes over.

Last edited:
That said, if the Kings don't nail the next hire, all three will be gone.

I think there are acceptable levels of input, and while I agree that players choosing a coach is a bad idea, I think players can get some info about a coach that a search committee or GM might not have access to. If I were a player, and a team was interested in like an unproven assistant coach, I would call up my friend on the team for some info. Is he a hard worker? Just a cheerleader? That doesn't mean I'd ask for approval from my players, but if Fox says, "hey, I talked to Steph, and he said Kerr has coach X do this and that," I would find that valuable.
Agreed. Seek player input on coaching hires. Just don't give them the reigns to actually make the final decision. As you indicated, their can be a lot of great value coming from a single player. Leverage that into making a final decision as the GM, and get this dang thing right for once. We've been waiting for way too long.

Based on what? You're going to have to provide way more information than just your personal opinion. At least to me, you're going to have to. I don't want to speak for anyone else on this forum, but I am not going to accept anyone's personal opinion as a legitimate basis for hiring this guy or that guy. And not just "information"...You want to hire Dougie as the next coach? Prove to me that he deserves a shot? What are his qualifications? What makes him better than other names that are being thrown around? I'm tired of taking chances. I don't just want a chance at winning. I want to guarantee it.

Last edited:
Anyone think this team should switch less on defense? I don't have any stats to back it up, but I feel that we switch so much more on defense than any other team I watch, and it leads to easy passes and buckets.

Anyone think this team should switch less on defense? I don't have any stats to back it up, but I feel that we switch so much more on defense than any other team I watch, and it leads to easy passes and buckets.
I guess it depends on what they look like, but no, to have ANY chance on defense today you have to switch. Other than that, you better pray the NBA brings back hand checking or be a 100% offensive force. Which will get them into the playoffs TBH. Simply put, you have to have versatile defenders between SG and PF with length and athletic ability. I liked what I saw from Sabonis in switch, he can pull it off at C. Fox can guard up as well. His problem was with smaller players next to him (Mitchell, Haliburton) he always found himself having to guard the SF. Nope, can't do that considering he needs that energy to carry you on the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.