Kings Coaching Quest Begins Anew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Lakers are in shambles but you'd have to imagine they'll get the first right of refusal on any "name" coach, lol.
The Lakers are apparently hell bent on poaching Nick Nurse from the Raptors for some reason so the Kings probably have time to snare a good coach before the Lakers realize they don’t have the assets to trade to the Raptors for their championship coach/no sane coach would want to deal with that mess of a roster until Russ gets moved.

While I agree that different champions will push for different head coaching candidates, respectfully, Domas and especially Fox has not and should not have Lebron like powers. One or both may not be here in three years.
Yeah...What @kb02 said. Let the players do what they do best, and that is play the game. Leave the coaching decision to someone else.

And, once both nail the hire, this team should be owned, constructed, and coached by them as well ;););)...
Fox, Buddy, Bags, and Giles approved of the Walton hire initially as well. There was even a tweet with Bags and Giles after Walton's press conference where the caption said something like looking forward to next year. Three years later and only Fox remains while Walton didn't finish his contract. Outside of Lebron, letting players champion coaching hires is about a good idea as Pete going on the CD show.

While I agree that different champions will push for different head coaching candidates, respectfully, Domas and especially Fox has not and should not have Lebron like powers. One or both may not be here in three years.
LeBron playing god and players having their team built around them with their input are not the same things. Monte has put his chips in their corner, they have to play for the coach, they need to take the lead if they are expected to lead this team somewhere.

LeBron playing god and players having their team built around them with their input are not the same things. Monte has put his chips in their corner, they have to play for the coach, they need to take the lead if they are expected to lead this team somewhere.
While I agree that Monte has put himself in a corner, I would hope that Domas and Fox would play hard for any coach--not just the coach that they both like.

Fox, Buddy, Bags, and Giles approved of the Walton hire initially as well. There was even a tweet with Bags and Giles after Walton's press conference where the caption said something like looking forward to next year. Three years later and only Fox remains while Walton didn't finish his contract. Outside of Lebron, letting players champion coaching hires is about a good idea as Pete going on the CD show.
You probably figured it out by reading my last post, but my initial response to @SacTownKid was one of pure sarcasm. I have ZERO desire to see this team move forward with a coaching hire that has Sabonis' and Fox's names all over it.

Yeah...What @kb02 said. Let the players do what they do best, and that is play the game. Leave the coaching decision to someone else.
That's all fine and dandy, except that coach is coming into a situation that's already basically built around two players. Look at Luke Walton and George Karl and that's why you don't just consider these two entirely separate things. They picked up coaches known for not really fitting some of the players on the roster, including the most important ones. What happens? You see players like Cojo suck up the minutes and Fox moved to SG. You see Cuz moved out to the 3 point line (even though league trend wise, Karl was ahead of the curve). Nope, don't go down that path again.

That's all fine and dandy, except that coach is coming into a situation that's already basically built around two players. Look at Luke Walton and George Karl and that's why you don't just consider these two entirely separate things. They picked up coaches known for not really fitting some of the players on the roster, including the most important ones. What happens? You see players like Cojo suck up the minutes and Fox moved to SG. You see Cuz moved out to the 3 point line (even though league trend wise, Karl was ahead of the curve). Nope, don't go down that path again.
The solution to the problem you just posed can be reached by minimally involving players (such as Fox and Sabonis) in the FINAL DECISION TO HIRE A COACH. Your GM (in this case, Monte) should be able to assess his roster and find a coach who is able to coach to those players' strengths, and adapt around those same players' weaknesses. If you need to resort to consulting one of your players to ensure a coach aligns with their strengths, with all due respect, you're simply a trash GM.

I am not saying that players (such as Fox and Sabonis in our case) should NOT be involved in discussions surrounding the hire. All I am saying is that they shouldn't be the ones making the ultimate decision on who to hire; Leave that decision ultimately up to Monte.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
a
The solution to the problem you just posed can be reached by not involving players (such as Fox and Sabonis). Your GM (in this case, Monte) should be able to assess his roster and find a coach who is able to coach to those players' strengths, and adapt around those same players' weaknesses. If you need to resort to consulting one of your players to ensure a coach aligns with their strengths, will all due respect, you're simply a trash GM.
not involving players is what leads to George Karl and Boogie going at it for two seasons.

a

not involving players is what leads to George Karl and Boogie going at it for two seasons.
My apologies, I see where my previous comment is a little misleading, so please allow me to explain myself.

I'm not saying that Fox and Sabonis SHOULD NOT be involved in discussions surrounding the next coach. They should have input. All I am saying is that it SHOULD NOT be their ultimate decision as to who ends up coaching this team; Leave that up to the GM.

They can be involved, but they shouldn't be allowed to make the final decision.

The solution to the problem you just posed can be reached by not involving players (such as Fox and Sabonis). Your GM (in this case, Monte) should be able to assess his roster and find a coach who is able to coach to those players' strengths, and adapt around those same players' weaknesses. If you need to resort to consulting one of your players to ensure a coach aligns with their strengths, will all due respect, you're simply a trash GM.
Well, that might be true but if anyone knows what it's like to be hoodwinked and sold a bill of goods by a GM it's Vivek, lol. Monte looked like another at the start, but seems to be rounding the corner. Whether or not he's capable of doing what you say will be seen. So far he built his team around 3 PG's, kept a holdover coach, watched it just about burn to the ground, but DID end up putting it back on course this last deadline. If the goal was play in which I'm not sure it really was, he failed. No doubt. If he is building around a core, then he needs to involve that core IF they want to be involved. So far Fox is kind of whatever but Domas wants to be included from the sounds of it. The conversation is over at that point. Then the GM skills come into the picture trying to convince them of the best fit if they disagree. I doubt either of them will go LeBron on Monte haha.

My apologies, I see where my previous comment is a little misleading, so please allow me to explain myself.

I'm not saying that Fox and Sabonis SHOULD NOT be involved in discussions surrounding the next coach. They should have input. All I am saying is that it SHOULD NOT be their ultimate decision as to who ends up coaching this team; Leave that up to the GM.

They can be involved, but they shouldn't be allowed to make the final decision.
I don't think either would even want that, but, they should be leading a good portion of the discussion and every discussion revolves around them.

Ordinarily, I'm quite leery of players weigh in on coaching hires. LeBron James is exhibit A for the spike-laden, hellfire-filled pitfalls that a franchise can accidentally step into when allowing players to influence personnel decisions of any kind.

That said, Domantas is the kind of cerebral basketball mind that I could convince myself has a worthy opinion of whom should be hired as the Kings next head coach. (Then again, one would think the same of LeBron, himself a cerebral player whom you would imagine to be more insightful on personnel decisions than he has been for his entire career).

Well, that might be true but if anyone knows what it's like to be hoodwinked and sold a bill of goods by a GM it's Vivek, lol. Monte looked like another at the start, but seems to be rounding the corner. Whether or not he's capable of doing what you say will be seen. So far he built his team around 3 PG's, kept a holdover coach, watched it just about burn to the ground, but DID end up putting it back on course this last deadline. If the goal was play in which I'm not sure it really was, he failed. No doubt. If he is building around a core, then he needs to involve that core IF they want to be involved. So far Fox is kind of whatever but Domas wants to be included from the sounds of it. The conversation is over at that point. Then the GM skills come into the picture trying to convince them of the best fit if they disagree. I doubt either of them will go LeBron on Monte haha.
Read my previous comments...I'm not 100% against involving Sabonis and/or Fox. I just don't think that the ultimate decision on who becomes our next head coach should be up to them. That should be Monte's call at the end of the day.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Up here in Portland, Dame got ROASTED for endorsing Billups whose 1997 assault allegations resurfaced shortly after.

But I think it's important that Dame was allowed to have some input and when the team went down in flames one thing we have never seen (yet) is Dame asking out.

And that's why you let the players have input. It is not the same as letting the players have control.

Read my previous comments...I'm not 100% against involving Sabonis and/or Fox. I just don't think that the ultimate decision on who becomes our next head coach should be up to them. That should be Monte's call at the end of the day.
Yeah, I don't think anyone expects that. THAT would LeBron stuff, haha, and no, they don't have close to that kind of clout. Them being at the front end of these discussions doesn't necessarily mean they get the back end of it too.

Up here in Portland, Dame got ROASTED for endorsing Billups whose 1997 assault allegations resurfaced shortly after.

But I think it's important that Dame was allowed to have some input and when the team went down in flames one thing we have never seen (yet) is Dame asking out.

And that's why you let the players have input. It is not the same as letting the players have control.
I am totally fine, and 100% on board, with Fox and Sabonis having input. I am totally NOT fine, and 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% NOT on board, with them having control.

Last edited:

Some of these names are really exciting and encouraging (Kenny Atkinson! Darvin Ham!) while couple of others are depressing as all hell (Mike Brown... Mark Jackson...). If we wind up hiring Mark Jackson, I might jump off the Tower Bridge.
I'm just happy to see Kenny Atkinson's name on the list. I've wanted him on the Kings' bench for a few years now. I think he'd acquit himself well with a player like Domantas. I'm hoping the presence of names like Mike Brown and Mark Jackson simply represent the "due diligence", since retreads are always going to be in the conversation when a head coaching position is open in the NBA. I think Monte is imaginative enough as a GM to avoid such a candidate, as long as Vivek doesn't direct him toward that kind of hire.

Dame and his history with the Blazers is a completely different level than Fox or Domas' history with the Kings org.

I’m guessing this process may take awhile with some of the prospects currently assistants in the playoffs.
From what Ive read, leaning Atkinson as our next HC, just not sure of his relationship with Monte.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m guessing this process may take awhile with some of the prospects currently assistants in the playoffs.
From what Ive read, leaning Atkinson as our next HC, just not sure of his relationship with Monte.
Don’t know about his relationship with Monte but he was on Bud’s staff in Atlanta when assistant GM Wes Wilcox was running the Hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.