Kings Coaching Quest Begins Anew

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a problem when the player's brain is not considered to be a strength.
In this scenario the players are the brawn, the coach is the brains. They need to be in sync. So how that brain plans to use the brawn is the key when they are coming into a preexisting 2 star scenario. Get a coach who likes his big man stashed at the corner 3 the whole time and well, F'd that up royally.

In this scenario the players are the brawn, the coach is the brains. They need to be in sync. So how that brain plans to use the brawn is the key when they are coming into a preexisting 2 star scenario. Get a coach who likes his big man stashed at the corner 3 the whole time and well, F'd that up royally.
You would think Monte will have enough brains to find a coach, who has enough brains to know what will or will not work with the players. Neither Monte nor the coach need Domas or Mitchell to green light that. Now all we gotta do is find who Monte knows from his Houston days with enough brains to use Domas and Mitchell and that person will be the next coach. 80% chance the next coach is someone that Monte has already worked with.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Whoever they pick better be outstanding at devising an offense that begins with and is centered around Sabonis, who is arguably the 2nd best passing big man in the game. The next coach should also be outstanding at enforcing that such an offense be played. Which mean that he defines the roles of the players and he enforces those roles. Also, it almost goes without saying that he's got to be a tough SOB when it comes to the defensive side of the floor. Because of the draft and the trades, the Kings players are generally tougher than a year ago. Now we need to see it translated on the floor. This team should be in the top 10 in hustle plays next year. Their lack of hustle has nothing to do with athletic ability. It has everything to do with commitment, coaching, and the will to do it.

You would think Monte will have enough brains to find a coach, who has enough brains to know what will or will not work with the players. Neither Monte nor the coach need Domas or Mitchell to green light that. Now all we gotta do is find who Monte knows from his Houston days with enough brains to use Domas and Mitchell and that person will be the next coach. 80% chance the next coach is someone that Monte has already worked with.
You would, but I laid out his brief history earlier. Just in case, more conversation by those involved is probably a safer bet.

I get the lack of enthusiasm (disdain) for Mark Jackson - but what is the issue with Mike Brown? Former assistant under Popovic and Carlisle. Current assistant under Kerr and in charge of a very good defence. Championship winner as an assistant coach. Good record as an NBA head coach - apart from a few seasons where it seems like he was the fall guy. International coaching experience. Is it a preference for a young coach or is there something about him/ his coaching that I don't know?

I’m guessing this process may take awhile with some of the prospects currently assistants in the playoffs.
From what Ive read, leaning Atkinson as our next HC, just not sure of his relationship with Monte.
more like Vivek gonna make a few phone calls asking his competitors “hey is this is a good idea? I’m so insecure about the people I hired and gonna make the decision myself in the end anyway” o_O

While I agree that different champions will push for different head coaching candidates, respectfully, Domas and especially Fox has not and should not have Lebron like powers. One or both may not be here in three years.
That said, if the Kings don't nail the next hire, all three will be gone.

I think there are acceptable levels of input, and while I agree that players choosing a coach is a bad idea, I think players can get some info about a coach that a search committee or GM might not have access to. If I were a player, and a team was interested in like an unproven assistant coach, I would call up my friend on the team for some info. Is he a hard worker? Just a cheerleader? That doesn't mean I'd ask for approval from my players, but if Fox says, "hey, I talked to Steph, and he said Kerr has coach X do this and that," I would find that valuable.

You misspelled Fox.

There is so much more spacing in those clips than what the Kings will be able to achieve with the current roster. Not at all in the 'he won't work' crew. Just what I noticed.
Whoever the coach is needs to be brought in sooner rather than later. If they have a guy in mind, they need to agree to terms quickly so that the entire FO can be in sync heading into the off-season. That way everyone can have a frank discussion and be on the same page with regards to personnel.

Whoever the coach is needs to be brought in sooner rather than later. If they have a guy in mind, they need to agree to terms quickly so that the entire FO can be in sync heading into the off-season. That way everyone can have a frank discussion and be on the same page with regards to personnel.
I imagine some of the guys in mind may be unable to interview for a month or two...

I get the lack of enthusiasm (disdain) for Mark Jackson - but what is the issue with Mike Brown? Former assistant under Popovic and Carlisle. Current assistant under Kerr and in charge of a very good defence. Championship winner as an assistant coach. Good record as an NBA head coach - apart from a few seasons where it seems like he was the fall guy. International coaching experience. Is it a preference for a young coach or is there something about him/ his coaching that I don't know?
There really isn't anything to go off of with him. He's basically only coached teams with elite talent and this team definitely doesn't have that so there are huge question marks.

I don’t think Brown could get away with that without Draymond. As we’ve learned with the Zbo and Vince experiments, if your team leader is not a key player, the message just doesn’t have the same weight. And if anything, I can see it back firing if the dude cheerleading Brown’s public scolding is guilty of playing little to no defense. That said, there is one player on the Kings, who could take on that Draymond role, but let’s see if this org is smart enough to let him thrive.

I think Brown doesn’t really get credited for his success with the Cavs likely seeing those teams and the 07 Cavs as just a product of Lebron freakishness and a weak East. But those were good teams and really maximized Lebron by letting him operate freely and building a strong defense around him.

Lue was pretty disrespected amongst fans post-Cavs ring with similar criticism of just relying on Lebron and not being a real coach, but has obviously proven himself since. I thought what Lue did in Cleveland was impressive and didn’t get the hate. But Brown also got an LA follow up opportunity that didn’t work out as well - tho being usurped by Phil Jackson for a Kobe team is what it is

Brown hasn’t really done much since so you’re looking at a guy who built a great team around Lebron 15 years ago without much more positives on his resume.

I think there’s a superficial similarity of what we’d be looking for - an offense built around players who attack the basket with relatively weak 3 point shooting, but strong enough to aggressively spam that attack, and surround that attack with lots of role players who hustle and play D. If you want Fox to score 30 per game and take the pressure off him on the defensive end, Brown might be someone who can do it

If we’re looking at people with prior HC experience I’d definitely prefer him over Terry Stotts or Mark Jackson but that’s not saying much. Hes also only 52 so he could conceivably be around for a long run if things worked magically, but I imagine he’d be in a hired gun role gunning to break the drought, not being hired as a decades long culture foundation the way you could’ve gone with, idk Mike Malone ten years ago

My hope is that the FO has someone they can dial in on who’s up and coming but if they have that target I don’t think the name or names have leaked. Other than Chris Finch but that’s obviously well past an option by now

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Guess Kings are going to do a wide search that will end up with more Houston and ATL folks joining McNair and Wilcox:

Catanella’s speciality (contract construction and cap management) probably became less of an issue for the Kings once Vlade got replaced by actual front office people. Still will be missed, I guess.

Catanella’s speciality (contract construction and cap management) probably became less of an issue for the Kings once Vlade got replaced by actual front office people. Still will be missed, I guess.
That was my initial assumption though I wonder why McNair didn’t just let him go when he first joined. I don’t know what the record is, but I think the Kings have turned over the head trainer position at least three times in the last five years. That must be a record.

That was my initial assumption though I wonder why McNair didn’t just let him go when he first joined. I don’t know what the record is, but I think the Kings have turned over the head trainer position at least three times in the last five years. That must be a record.
According to the tweet that Ham cribbed his notes from, his current contract was ending.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yea, but McNair could’ve pushed him out sooner. Maybe he was pushed out, but just allowed to do a ZBO the last two years.
I'm guessing that with the nature of the last couple of seasons (COVID compressing two seasons into a really tight time period), Monte kept Ken on to help with the transition. Will still be interesting to see if they replace Catanella with another financial guy or with a basketball personnel guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.