Kings Coaching Quest Begins Anew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That was my initial assumption though I wonder why McNair didn’t just let him go when he first joined. I don’t know what the record is, but I think the Kings have turned over the head trainer position at least three times in the last five years. That must be a record.
I find that fact stranger than all the coaching changes. I wonder if this latest firing has anything to do with Fox coming into camp in terrible shape.

Question to the board: Do trainers on other teams monitor and guide the off-season training regiment of the players on their team, or are they forbidden to do so?

I find that fact stranger than all the coaching changes. I wonder if this latest firing has anything to do with Fox coming into camp in terrible shape.

Question to the board: Do trainers on other teams monitor and guide the off-season training regiment of the players on their team, or are they forbidden to do so?
I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine there is some input. There was an issue a few years ago, a player got some heat from his teammates for not staying in Sac to train. This was when Fox, Mason were going into years 2 and 3. I think it was Bags, but don't hold me to it.

The Kings used to have bios for their coaches, front office, and training staff, but it looks like those pages are no longer there. That's weird. Maybe they got tired of having to update it so often, because of the personnel churn.

Regardless, the turnover in the athletic training department is alarming.

I remember a few years back David vanterpool was a name thrown around a lot as an up and coming assistant coach. Haven’t seen his man he come up much recently

I remember a few years back David vanterpool was a name thrown around a lot as an up and coming assistant coach. Haven’t seen his man he come up much recently
Up and coming choices usually tend to be a part of winning teams like Walton was during GSW’s heyday or the handful of Bucks assistants, who are getting looks now. It’s less science and more hoping to getting a guy or girl, who actually played a key role in that team’s success then knowing for sure whether he or she is actually any good.

And despite any pretensions of a wide, exhaustive, process orientated search, the next coach will likely be someone, who one of the key decision makers know well. It is the way of the world.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I've wondered a lot about him too, was surprised that he wasn't hired by the Blazers actually. He was said to be very close to Dame. The real interesting thing is he moves around a lot as an assistant. He was with Minnesota when he was hot, but now he's in Jersey. And had been in Portland not long before he was the hot name.

I've wondered a lot about him too, was surprised that he wasn't hired by the Blazers actually. He was said to be very close to Dame. The real interesting thing is he moves around a lot as an assistant. He was with Minnesota when he was hot, but now he's in Jersey. And had been in Portland not long before he was the hot name.
Trying to catch fire with the right gig. Have friends, who move around every few years, taking a lower paying role, but with a bigger title and more equity comp. The title only matters, because of the equity comp that comes with it. A lotto ticket. Some get it. Some don't.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine there is some input. There was an issue a few years ago, a player got some heat from his teammates for not staying in Sac to train. This was when Fox, Mason were going into years 2 and 3. I think it was Bags, but don't hold me to it.

The Kings used to have bios for their coaches, front office, and training staff, but it looks like those pages are no longer there. That's weird. Maybe they got tired of having to update it so often, because of the personnel churn.

Regardless, the turnover in the athletic training department is alarming.
LOL.

The guys id like to see considered in this order...

Kenney Atkinson, Terry Stotts, Sam Cassell, Steve Clifford, 150 other people, a Kit Kat Bar, mike brown, mark jackson.

When Doc Rivers gets fired after Harden sabotages the sixers and they bring in dantoni, i would add him to the list (ahead of Stotts and Cassell).

The guys id like to see considered in this order...

Kenney Atkinson, Terry Stotts, Sam Cassell, Steve Clifford, 150 other people, a Kit Kat Bar, mike brown, mark jackson.

When Doc Rivers gets fired after Harden sabotages the sixers and they bring in dantoni, i would add him to the list (ahead of Stotts and Cassell).
I hate Doc rivers but there's no way he'd ever coach here.

What about Borrego that was just fired by the Hornets? Increase of 10 wins each the last 3 seasons
Yeah, not sure if there's any internal strife or whatnot, but it's hard to ignore how he improved a very flawed young roster while their premium FA signing (Hayward) has missed a bunch of time the last few years. Hornets were 8th in OFFRtg and 5th in pace this year, so he understands how to play to the strengths of his team.

In terms of defense he had Mason plumlee and trez Harrell as his "rim protection" both of whom are among the worst defensive bigs in the game. And it's not his fault all of his playable core aren't defenders; Ball, rozier, bridges, oubre, Hayward.

PJ and Cody Martin are excellent, but it's near impossible to have a good defense when they're literally the only guys on the team you'd even describe as average

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, not sure if there's any internal strife or whatnot, but it's hard to ignore how he improved a very flawed young roster while their premium FA signing (Hayward) has missed a bunch of time the last few years. Hornets were 8th in OFFRtg and 5th in pace this year, so he understands how to play to the strengths of his team.

In terms of defense he had Mason plumlee and trez Harrell as his "rim protection" both of whom are among the worst defensive bigs in the game. And it's not his fault all of his playable core aren't defenders; Ball, rozier, bridges, oubre, Hayward.

PJ and Cody Martin are excellent, but it's near impossible to have a good defense when they're literally the only guys on the team you'd even describe as average
I don't know about Ball becoming a good defender, but Rozier, Oubre, Bridges all seem to have the DNA to defend.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I need to know more about Borrego. Pop tree, steady improvement with a lotto team in an improving East, over .500.

Considering some interesting trade proposals have also involved Charlotte players.

I'm generally not a fan of retreads but I don't understand this move on paper.

I don't know about Ball becoming a good defender, but Rozier, Oubre, Bridges all seem to have the DNA to defend.
uhh, what does this mean? I guess? They don't defend though and have never been known as +defenders at any point in their careers.

It's like saying Fox CAN be a good defender, but the reality is until he actually shows it, he's bad on that end until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.