[Game] Kings at Bucks, 1/22/2022 4pm PT/7pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they did it again. They unnecessarily doubled and Pat C. was wide open from 3 again.

These are game changing things.
Dude, Kings playing small and doubling hasn't been fixed yet, won't be fixed apparently. Someone apparently doesn't know rule 1 about small ball, the whole point is to switch everything. Yes, they don't have that extra wing out there to truly make it work but avoiding the rule is always going to bite you.

Dude, Kings playing small and doubling hasn't been fixed yet, won't be fixed apparently. Someone apparently doesn't know rule 1 about small ball, the whole point is to switch everything. Yes, they don't have that extra wing out there to truly make it work but avoiding the rule is always going to bite you.
It's just always bailing out the offense. Double, pass it out, pass out, and it's either a wide open shot or a totally broken down defense.

It just makes it so easy for the offense.

I really don't get it either. I thought Lombagardi or whatever was a good defensive coach ? I know Gentry is known for being a horrendous defensive coach but that's what the assistants help with right ?
One main part of the issue is that if you even try to remotely be a genius defensively in the modern game? You're already dead in the water. It means you are overthinking it and limiting what little you probably can do somewhat well rather than just sticking to the only thing that works at all. Very little actual defense is playable these days. You switch everything, that's it. And you better darn well have a team capable of doing it, the Kings don't. Monte stacked PG's and frontcourt players instead. Great job.

Thibs was viewed as a defensive genius at one point. You know why? Because he stuck to a simple ice scheme and cut off the other fat from the bone. It eventually failed but it worked often enough to make a difference or at least appear to. The Kings don't have the size you need on the wing, that's true. Davion was able to guard 4 positions. Not only was that false but they haven't even really tried it. This is starting to become, "Don't worry, Nik can and will play some PG". lol. Never even tried, still lost, and blew yet another pick. They want to keep turning over the same rocks. Now two of those rocks are named Metu and Jones. One of them as a 4th big is fine, playing both while Marvin/Holmes sit AND you don't play small? Stupid. And yet another reason this team will have to eventually reset with yet another GM, another rebuild, and another coach. This could be a long haul like well past 20 season drought before they are even in a position to attempt to push for a playoffs if they aren't careful. Time is legit running out Monte/Vivek/JoeD.

One main part of the issue is that if you even try to remotely be a genius defensively in the modern game? You're already dead in the water. It means you are overthinking it and limiting what little you probably can do somewhat well rather than just sticking to the only thing that works at all. Very little actual defense is playable these days. You switch everything, that's it. And you better darn well have a team capable of doing it, the Kings don't. Monte stacked PG's and frontcourt players instead. Great job.

Thibs was viewed as a defensive genius at one point. You know why? Because he stuck to a simple ice scheme and cut off the other fat from the bone. It eventually failed but it worked often enough to make a difference or at least appear to. The Kings don't have the size you need on the wing, that's true. Davion was able to guard 4 positions. Not only was that false but they haven't even really tried it. This is starting to become, "Don't worry, Nik can and will play some PG". lol. Never even tried, still lost, and blew yet another pick. They want to keep turning over the same rocks. Now two of those rocks are named Metu and Jones. One of them as a 4th big is fine, playing both while Marvin/Holmes sit AND you don't play small? Stupid. And yet another reason this team will have to eventually reset with yet another GM, another rebuild, and another coach. This could be a long haul like well past 20 season drought before they are even in a position to attempt to push for a playoffs if they aren't careful. Time is legit running out Monte/Vivek/JoeD.
I have to think Monte being part of Houston management before joining the Kings must have morphed his philosophy.

Houston was king at switching and playing small.

So I do wonder what will happen next and what is going through Monte's mind.

Surely this isn't working, and yes, you're right, there's little to no wings on this team.

I would do Fox, Hield, Barnes, and two 1st rounders for Ben, Harris, and Thybulle.

I think this would add a lot of versatility to the wing.

We’re simply not good enough to have guys missing games like this. Hard to even know what we have at this point. How many games have we played with a full roster? I’d love to see the stat.

We’re simply not good enough to have guys missing games like this. Hard to even know what we have at this point. How many games have we played with a full roster? I’d love to see the stat.
feels like we’ve been way more healthy than average? not sure how accurate this site is or if it accounts for covid but says we’ve lost the 5th fewest player games due to injury

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/injured-reserve/cumulative-team/

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So now that fox isn’t here to blame, what’s the diff between giving up 133 to the pistons vs giving up 133 to the “freak”less bucks? Asking for a friend
Missed the game but I saw the box score and I was thinking the same thing. :)

So now that fox isn’t here to blame, what’s the diff between giving up 133 to the pistons vs giving up 133 to the “freak”less bucks? Asking for a friend
Milwauke averages 112 points per game, so they scored 18% above their average. Given how they’ve operated, with Fox playing and Hali sitting, they would’ve ended up scoring 28%+ or around 143, Percentages vs raw numbers, dude.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Milwauke averages 112 points per game, so they scored 18% above their average. Given how they’ve operated, with Fox playing and Hali sitting, they would’ve ended up scoring 28%+ or around 143, Percentages vs raw numbers, dude.
At least you're consistent.

What the Kings have accomplished like no other is the death of hope. Given “hope springs eternal” that is no mean feat. No one trade can fix this team even the optimists say. Those in the tank and get better camp gave up after last year. And here we sit, forever in purgatory due to Vivek’s mismanagement and stubbornness.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Your statistical models can only tell you what did happen not what will happen. If you really want to be scientific about this, make a prediction based on your model what the score of the next 10 games will be and we'll see how close you are. Anyone can find patterns in existing data. Using that to tell us what happens next and why it happens is the only way to know if your model works or not and at best it's only going to be an educated guess.

Your statistical models can only tell you what did happen not what will happen. If you really want to be scientific about this, make a prediction based on your model what the score of the next 10 games will be and we'll see how close you are. Anyone can find patterns in existing data. Using that to tell us what happens next and why it happens is the only way to know if your model works or not and at best it's only going to be an educated guess.
Choosing data that fits his narrative and leaving out other factors that might effect the outcome is starting to look like a pattern but at least he throws out data and is consistent. Gotta give him that. I don’t really look into advanced stats or those sites so all I can see is what is given to me. So if I’m understanding it right. Fox plays, other team scores 133 and their center and sf goes off and we lose = it’s his fault. Fox sits, other team scores 133, 3 they get the same amount of shots off as Detroit, and 3 of their top 4 scorers are guards and we lose = we would have lost by more if fox was there.

First, the comp was Fox running the show vs. Hali running the show. Which shows opposing teams score 10% more points when Fox is running the show alone than when Hali is running the show alone.

Second, I do have a much more complicated model that does exactly what your challenge is. I use it for sports betting and have one for football as well. For pros and college. If you go far enough back, you’ll even find some score predictions from me. For games that I care about going forward, I’ll gladly post my score predictions. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don’t. But it’s anchor point.

Last edited:
Choosing data that fits his narrative and leaving out other factors that might effect the outcome is starting to look like a pattern but at least he throws out data and is consistent. Gotta give him that. I don’t really look into advanced stats or those sites so all I can see is what is given to me. So if I’m understanding it right. Fox plays, other team scores 133 and their center and sf goes off and we lose = it’s his fault. Fox sits, other team scores 133, 3 they get the same amount of shots off as Detroit, and 3 of their top 4 scorers are guards and we lose = we would have lost by more if fox was there.
While the data set is small, until last nights game, it represented the entire population of data sets for this year. So no, it’s not choosing a sample that fits my narrative. You can’t use previous years, because then you would need to tweak for personnel changes…

What the Kings have accomplished like no other is the death of hope. Given “hope springs eternal” that is no mean feat. No one trade can fix this team even the optimists say. Those in the tank and get better camp gave up after last year. And here we sit, forever in purgatory due to Vivek’s mismanagement and stubbornness.
So true.

The amount of misery this organization has put It’s fanbase through is beyond astounding.

Maybe Vivek is a sadist.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Your all right to some degree. I could talk for hours on this subject, but I won't bore you with that. I'll just keep it simple and state what the obvious is to me. Addition by subtraction equals Buddy!!! Watch a game and only pay attention to Buddy when he's on the floor and you'll come to the same conclusion. He blows offensive plays, and makes mistake after mistake on defense. It doesn't matter how good the other four defenders on the floor are if you have one player that blows coverages. I know a lot of you know this, so I'll just leave it at that. Back to the prospects forum....

See my post in the sports betting thread on today's LAR vs. Tampa game. Posting it shortly.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Your all right to some degree. I could talk for hours on this subject, but I won't bore you with that. I'll just keep it simple and state what the obvious is to me. Addition by subtraction equals Buddy!!! Watch a game and only pay attention to Buddy when he's on the floor and you'll come to the same conclusion. He blows offensive plays, and makes mistake after mistake on defense. It doesn't matter how good the other four defenders on the floor are if you have one player that blows coverages. I know a lot of you know this, so I'll just leave it at that. Back to the prospects forum....
How many times does he dribble, dribble, pass to a teammate with like5 seconds or less and in no position to get a good shot off? Often is the answer

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm not sure why Buddy is getting a pass by a lot of people on this board. The team sharpshooter is rather dull this season, and hasn't made any sort of impact to negate the lack of productivity. Single digit scoring games seem more common this year.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Pretty much.

We're trash because our owner is trash. And he's shown zero capacity for growth beyond keeping his idiocy in house, rather than go to the media with his insane "4 on 5 defense" or "we want jazz" takes. But the franchise hasn't changed how it operates since he took over, so you know that kind of warped thinking still guides decision making.

I think we can still make the playoffs as a first round fodder type of team with Vivek as owner, but if you look at other teams that had/have bad ownership over the years (NY, Clippers before Balmer) that's about as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.