[Game] Kings at Atlanta, Friday November 8th, 4:30 PT/7:30 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two games in a row Walton has yanked Buddy in the 2nd half because of some stupid stuff he did. Both times Buddy wasn't happy. In the last game Buddy was mouthing off at Walton. I think Buddy is going to have to have to mature and stop doing stupid stuff that is driven by ego rather than good basketball.
And yet he's the first guy off the bench cheering for the guys on the floor

Great coaching move by Walton. The starters we’re playing hero ball, forgetting that the objective is to win. You play smart, efficient ball when you’re up by 16. You don’t boat race the other team at that point,

Hield is JR Smith. Get used to seeing him on the bench in tight games when the Kings have a small lead. Dude has one gear, which is to score regardless of the situation. Low hoops IQ.

Young got some calls, but Fox lost his mind.

Joseph, Bogi, n Ariza came through. I’ll gladly eat crow. Still, you could see frustration at times between Bogi n Joseph. Both want to pound the ball into dust.

2-1 road trip. Plus visible improvement n a coach who is willing to sit his stars. I like the trend. Let’s keep on rolling with Bags around the corner.
Yeah, we may be seeing why Dave yelled at Buddy for hitting that three against the Warriors. Guarantee he does this stuff in practice too. Coaches hate that. My bad, Dave.

I was bemused in the 2nd Q when they had Buddy face-guarding Trae everywhere. The old Peja style of defense. It was good coaching—quite effective. I’m somewhat curious as to why they stopped using that tactic.

Great coaching move by Walton. The starters we’re playing hero ball, forgetting that the objective is to win. You play smart, efficient ball when you’re up by 16. You don’t boat race the other team at that point,

Hield is JR Smith. Get used to seeing him on the bench in tight games when the Kings have a small lead. Dude has one gear, which is to score regardless of the situation. Low hoops IQ.

Young got some calls, but Fox lost his mind.

Joseph, Bogi, n Ariza came through. I’ll gladly eat crow. Still, you could see frustration at times between Bogi n Joseph. Both want to pound the ball into dust.

2-1 road trip. Plus visible improvement n a coach who is willing to sit his stars. I like the trend. Let’s keep on rolling with Bags around the corner.
That’s a little harsh.

Harry looked nice, it was really good when the game slowed down we were feeding him/Bjelica in the half court where they were firing passes. Cojo/Ariza were huge and Holmes despite meh numbers impact wise was insane on the defensive end. Bogi is still really annoying me but tonight he made tough shots.

JR is dumb where as Buddy imo just has the worst hands of any SG probably in NBA history most his mistakes come from a lack of touch passing/handling the ball where as Smith was just straight dumb.

The Kings are playing better, but have a way to go to be really competitive.
Trae Young is one of the best interior passers I have seen. The Hawks ripped the Kings inside, especially when Holmes was not on the floor.
The Kings hot shooting covered up some deficiences.
The two starting forwards, Barnes and Bjelica are playing well, but had a combined one rebound for the game.
Kings interior defense is as bad as last year. Their greatest weakness.
The Kings won the rebounding battle with all the guards rebounding well.
Young outplayed Fox which was somewhat surprising. A great matchup.
Somebody needs to figure out why the Kings can't win a third quarter.
The second unit is becoming the secret weapon.
Walton actually showed some emotion for the first time.
Plenty of positives, but a few negatives that need some work.

JR is dumb where as Buddy imo just has the worst hands of any SG probably in NBA history most his mistakes come from a lack of touch passing/handling the ball where as Smith was just straight dumb.
The problem is that Buddy doesn’t (or can’t) see ahead. He sees what is, but not what will be (in a second or two).

The problem is that Buddy doesn’t (or can’t) see ahead. He sees what is, but not what will be (in a second or two).
That’s Basketball IQ and Buddy doesn’t have it. Fox does but he lets his ego get in the way. Fox got baited into trying to go mano v mano against Tre. Fox also fails to get the ball to Bogdan on the weakside as often as he should.

It will be interesting what happens when Bagley comes back. Bagley fits much better with Bogi, Joseph, Ariza, Giles/Dedmon. Especially if Giles shoots like tonight.

Not something we were likely to see from any prior KINGS coach.

It been one of my NBA pet peeves for decades. Most coaches will ride and die with their stars. And to a degree, I get it. They don’t want to lose the team or player, and sometime the player can flip a switch.

But I’ve always felt if it‘s truly ‘about the team’, then it’s best to sit guys down and tell ‘em great effort but it’s just not your night or these guys are playing better. A good coach should be able to keep egos in check, especially when the team is winning. And since this particular team doesn’t have a bonafide mega star, it should be easier to develop that type of culture.
I will say this....I was hugely down on Walton after what we witnessed in the first few games. im still not totally convinced of his x’s and o’x, but I did hold out some hope that he would excel as a communicator with the team that could be A big winner. I think this is the first sign of this. No way Joerger pulls Buddy like last night without some concern of potential trouble (remember the in game shouting match last year when buddy got a little too liberal in his shot selection....) I love how Walton pulled him from the game, communicated to him in the moment when he was coming off the court (partly, “what the hell are you doing” and also encouragement to pull it together) and then apparently smoothed things over further in the next time out. Such a large part of the nba is communication and managing egos. I feel more confident now that Walton may very we’ll exceed in this area.

Can we say now that Corey Joseph was a good pick up?

Barnes was definitely a good pick up.

Ariza is starting to show he was a good pick up and has some gas left in the tank.

Dedmond has had some moments of late; still waiting for him to hit three consecutive threes to break a game wide open.

Holmes has been solidly good. He has a good deal of room to get even better.
Yes we can:) CoJo was a good pickup. During all the Vlade bashing that has been going on the Free Agent signings have each been finding their game and playing better:)

Great win by the bench. Walton did what he had to. Get the victory any way possible.

What concerns me going forward is benching the Kings 2 best players.
It’s Atlanta! You lose a 20 pt lead against a one man wrecking crew, Young. Even their second best player, Collins is out.

Great players step up and put the nail in the coffin against the likes of the Hawks.

Rolling out a lineup of Cojo, Bogi, Holmes, Ariza, and Barnes is effective against the Hawks.
That won’t fly against teams like the Lakers and Celtics.

Hield and Fox are good players. Fox occasionally shows glimpses of being that Alpha Dog.
Unfortunately, I don’t see it on a nightly basis.
Fox plays bipolar.
Hawks lost last night because they have less talent.
But, Young is a monster. Plays with Fire all the time and his IQ is off the charts.

I am envious..I watch Luka, Young, and even Zion early in the season.
Man, the passion and a very high motor these players exhibit on a nightly basis. Consistently.

I wish to see that from Fox all season.

Leaving in 3 of the backup players in and letting players like Buddy, Fox and Beli to watch from the bench will not work every night. But I really hope they watched what team defense and controlled passing can accomplish.

Having more of a power forward playing center works against some teams but we will need to have a team effort or someone like Dedmon step up against the likes of Adams.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I will say this....I was hugely down on Walton after what we witnessed in the first few games. im still not totally convinced of his x’s and o’x, but I did hold out some hope that he would excel as a communicator with the team that could be A big winner. I think this is the first sign of this. No way Joerger pulls Buddy like last night without some concern of potential trouble (remember the in game shouting match last year when buddy got a little too liberal in his shot selection....) I love how Walton pulled him from the game, communicated to him in the moment when he was coming off the court (partly, “what the hell are you doing” and also encouragement to pull it together) and then apparently smoothed things over further in the next time out. Such a large part of the nba is communication and managing egos. I feel more confident now that Walton may very we’ll exceed in this area.
And I like that Walton stands firm. He's not interesting in placating his players for the sake of the team. My sense is if Buddy continues with his "improvisation" he's going to improvise himself from playing in the 4th quarter altogether. What happens if we see more of these mindless Buddy moments and Walton continues to take him out?

I am envious..I watch Luka, Young, and even Zion early in the season.
Man, the passion and a very high motor these players exhibit on a nightly basis. Consistently.

I wish to see that from Fox all season.
Didn’t young have a 3/12 0/8 3pt game the other night? And Zion hasn’t even played this season. I guess 0/0/0 stat is consistent. Grass isn’t always greener. I’m glad we have Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.