[Game] Kings at Atlanta, Friday November 8th, 4:30 PT/7:30 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great coaching move by Walton. The starters we’re playing hero ball, forgetting that the objective is to win. You play smart, efficient ball when you’re up by 16. You don’t boat race the other team at that point,

Hield is JR Smith. Get used to seeing him on the bench in tight games when the Kings have a small lead. Dude has one gear, which is to score regardless of the situation. Low hoops IQ.

Young got some calls, but Fox lost his mind.

Joseph, Bogi, n Ariza came through. I’ll gladly eat crow. Still, you could see frustration at times between Bogi n Joseph. Both want to pound the ball into dust.

2-1 road trip. Plus visible improvement n a coach who is willing to sit his stars. I like the trend. Let’s keep on rolling with Bags around the corner.

Because Pop is the greatest EVAR! And Booker, too. Could have had him. But they didn’t need a closer since they already had Walker.
Booker via his agent advised the US team that he didn't want to be invited. Not defending Pop, just saying not much you can do when the player tells you he doesn't want to come before you even invite him.

What a weird game.

Fox, Buddy and Beli benched despite all 3 having good offensive games.

Not something we were likely to see from any prior KINGS coach.

It been one of my NBA pet peeves for decades. Most coaches will ride and die with their stars. And to a degree, I get it. They don’t want to lose the team or player, and sometime the player can flip a switch.

But I’ve always felt if it‘s truly ‘about the team’, then it’s best to sit guys down and tell ‘em great effort but it’s just not your night or these guys are playing better. A good coach should be able to keep egos in check, especially when the team is winning. And since this particular team doesn’t have a bonafide mega star, it should be easier to develop that type of culture.

Two games in a row Walton has yanked Buddy in the 2nd half because of some stupid stuff he did. Both times Buddy wasn't happy. In the last game Buddy was mouthing off at Walton. I think Buddy is going to have to have to mature and stop doing stupid stuff that is driven by ego rather than good basketball.
He’s a 6th man we’ve bred to think is a star because he does one thing really well.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He’s a 6th man we’ve bred to think is a star because he does one thing really well.
I tend to agree with you. Running at break-neck pace last year and jacking up shots in open space was his thing. Operating in an offense doesn't appear to be what he is good at. I also wonder if Joerger did not do him any favors by letting him get away with a lot of bad play last year. Buddy looks to me like he wants to hit four or five shots in a row so he can be the big-shot and just play like he wants when he wants and not bother with what Walton wants. I don't think that's going to work with Walton.

Last edited:
I'm liking what Walton is doing on both ends. They are starting to figure things out and we have already seen more adjustment from Walton in just a few weeks than we did in the previous 3 years. The next step for him is to really use Barnes to bridge the gap when the offense fall apart. A simple post up and he'll get to the line or make a play. Then with Bagley comes back, that's two potential run stoppers on offense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Can we say now that Corey Joseph was a good pick up?

Barnes was definitely a good pick up.

Ariza is starting to show he was a good pick up and has some gas left in the tank.

Dedmond has had some moments of late; still waiting for him to hit three consecutive threes to break a game wide open.

Holmes has been solidly good. He has a good deal of room to get even better.

Not something we were likely to see from any prior KINGS coach.

It been one of my NBA pet peeves for decades. Most coaches will ride and die with their stars. And to a degree, I get it. They don’t want to lose the team or player, and sometime the player can flip a switch.

But I’ve always felt if it‘s truly ‘about the team’, then it’s best to sit guys down and tell ‘em great effort but it’s just not your night or these guys are playing better. A good coach should be able to keep egos in check, especially when the team is winning. And since this particular team doesn’t have a bonafide mega star, it should be easier to develop that type of culture.
In post game comments, Walton emphasized on a couple of occasions that he wanted the team to think of themselves as a team. He went out of his way to praise both the starters and bench players and said it's not about who starts, they are all part of the team scheme,

Status
Not open for further replies.