KF Mock Draft 2013

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Atlanta Hawk select:

Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State

With the need at the SG position, Franklin will help both on the offensive side but the defensive side as well. He'll bring great intensity and a great motor to the team to combo with Jeff Teague who we will match any offer from any potential teams that are looking to sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the 18th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Atlanta Hawk select:

SERGEY KARASEV, Triumph Moscow

Rudy Gobert was a potential pick here due to the fact that there is a need to find a running mate to go with Horford, but we decided to take Karasev here. As with the hole at SG, there is a hole at SF as well with Kyle Krover being a FA. Still only 19, he has plenty of potential to grow and become a better player with NBA training and coaching. Unselfish, High BB IQ and excellent passing skills will only help the Hawks reach the next level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside the war room, people went crazy, surprised, and puzzled.
One guy screamed "pick Noguiera!". The other guy shouted "pick Gobert".
Then someone said, "Are you out of your minds we already have Varejao, Zeller, Thompson, and that guy we got from Memphis?"
"And did you forget we just picked Len?".......

That guy left after he threw his chair out of the window.
Calm winds return to the room after chamomile teas were served.
I picked up the phone and called commissioner Stern.

With the 19th pick of NBA Draft of 2013, the Cleveland Cavalier, select:

Tim Hardaway Jr. of Michigan.
TIM-HARDAWAY-JR.jpg

Hardaway has NBA pedigree.
He played real good basketball in Michigan.
We expect Hardaway to rotate with Waiters at the 2 guard, especially in ocassion where Waiter's size is exploited.
We also see him getting ocassional SF minutes a possible placeholder until Lebron returns. :)

With the 20th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Chicago Bulls select...

Ricky Ledo, from Providence College

- Not sure the Bulls are going to keep this pick, and not sure whether they're going to trade into the top of the draft and take one of the top SG's, but as far as things go right now, they need some depth at the two, especially someone who can spell Rose as a creator off the dribble (who knows whether they'll be able to retain Robinson.) My gut told me that the Bulls wouldn't take someone so inexperienced, so I went back and forth between him and Erick Green, but they've been playing with undersized 2 guards for a while, and they might want some size here, and despite not having great length, Ledo has a very solid frame at 6'6 190 with good athleticism. I can see him becoming a Jamal Crawford type off the bench, but he does remind me a bit of Joe Johnson as well, the smoothness, but definitely not the size and strength since JJ is a huge 6'8 guard. 20 seems a bit high for Ledo, but the SG's are going fast in this mock and I think the Bulls would want more than just a shooter in Crabbe.

Last edited:
Alright, for the record though, I'm very reluctant to take someone else's pick.

With the 21st pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Utah Jazz select...

Dennis Schroeder, from Braunschweig, Germany

- I thought this was an obvious pick, but when I started thinking about it more, it probably isn't a slam dunk pick. Schroeder's stock could be all over the place right now because of some questionable workouts and his apparent homesickness flying back to Germany. I was listening to Givony talk about him, and it seems he does have some maturity issues to sort through, not that he's a malcontent, but just needs some nurturing and growing up. Are the Jazz patient enough for that? I don't know, all signs point to them moving this pick and trying to get up high enough to get a shot at Burke/McCollum. They weren't even willing to trade Jefferson or Millsap at the deadline, despite knowing in all likelihood that they'd be gone because they're committing to a Favors/Kanter frontcourt, all in the hopes of competing their hearts out for a first round exit. Still, with that said, Schroeder is hands down the best PG talent on the board here, and since Olynyk was taken with the first pick, that makes getting some talent at the Jazz's weakest position all the more important. The Jazz certainly have the environment to give Schroeder the development he needs to succeed, as well as learn the pick and roll from the franchise that mastered it for decades.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks, Vlade4GM. Now, what's your pick for Brooklyn?

BTW, I've sent a PM to Mass, who is in Italy, explaining that we may substitute for him f he's unable to make his pick because of the time difference. If people pay attention, we actually might get this puppy done.

I do promise to start this much earlier next year.

With the 22nd pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Brooklyn Nets select...

Mason Plumlee, from Duke University

- What they really need is a PF, but they're not likely fooling themselves into believing they're getting the PF they need from the 22nd pick, so they go with the experienced Duke center, who can board board, shows a solid offensive game down low, has decent fundamentals, and some athleticism. Brook Lopez had a great comeback season, but he's still a weak rebounder, and foot injuries with a 7'1 center will always leave you needing insurance.

With the 23rd pick in the 2013 kingsfans mock draft the Indiana Pacers selelct Lucas Nogueira

This pick gives the Pacers some depth behind Hibbert and West which they sorely lacking in the playoffs in addition to making their shotblocking even stronger. They consider Glen Rice jr, Rudy Gobert, and Erick Green, but in the end they go with Nogueira's versatility. They would have liked to trade the pick but could not get a taker for Gerald Green's contract.

I'll fix up the post with a picture and such when I'm at a computer :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It is now past 11 p.m. in Italy, so I'm guessing Mass won't be around for hours. Therefore, reluctantly, I'm going to ask for someone to make the pick for the Knicks. Any volunteers?

EDIT: Okay, I'll do it (based on a mock draft from Yahoo)

With the 24th pick in the draft, the New York Knicks select Tony Mitchell, PF, North Texas

Somebody is going to take a gamble on Mitchell in the first round, so it might as well be the Knicks. Despite Carmelo Anthony's wish to add another scorer, New York will look to bolster its frontcourt. While Mitchell may have a similar physique to Amare Stoudemire don't be fooled Knick fans, he doesn't have Stoudemire's long lost game. What he does have, however, is athleticism, long arms and an ability to block shots and rebound. Tyson Chandler needs the help so the Knicks go with Mitchell.

Last edited:
I'm here, sorry if I'm a little late. My pick for the Knicks was Gorgui Dieng, but I saw that VF21 picked Mitchell. I don't know if I'm in time to, otherwise I'm fine with Mitchell.

The reason I wanted Dieng is because the Knicks have very old big men. Thomas, Camby, and they don't have a replacement for Chandler. I believe Stoudamire is done, so I could see them getting a defensive big with the 24th pick, and I think is the best available.

I'm here, sorry if I'm a little late. My pick for the Knicks was Gorgui Dieng, but I saw that VF21 picked Mitchell. I don't know if I'm in time to, otherwise I'm fine with Mitchell.
Dieng was already selected by the Celtics with the 16th pick.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The reason I wanted Dieng is because the Knicks have very old big men. Thomas, Camby, and they don't have a replacement for Chandler. I believe Stoudamire is done, so I could see them getting a defensive big with the 24th pick, and I think is the best available.
Dieng was taken by Boston (ironically also by me.)

I am dealing with a family member in the hospital, can someone please make my Clippers pick for me. Sorry and thank you.

Sorry to hear about that, lwc. I'll take over.

With the 25th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Clippers select...

Reggie Bullock, from the University of North Carolina

- Supposedly the Clippers are looking for athletic wings, probably more along the lines of a 3 and D type SF, which is exactly what Reggie Bullock is. He doesn't have the uber-length of a Snell or Crabbe, but he's got the proven defensive ability at the college level and he can hit the 3, with potential to fill other role player gaps. I would think the Clippers are also looking at backup C's, which I think they're in desperate need of, but since we're looking at a project C in Gobert, I debated between Bullock and Withey, I had to go with Bullock who has the higher overall draft stock and I've heard more about the Clippers looking for a wing than a big. If Dieng was there, I probably would have chosen him instead.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With the 26th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select...

Rudy Gobert, C, Cholet France

While he's not exactly "Manna From Heaven", Gobert might just turn out to be "Le Grand Croissant de Saint-Quentin". With Nikola Pekovic a Restricted Free Agent and getting some pretty serious looks, it certainly can't hurt for the Timberwolves to shore up the defense down low next to Kevin Love. Now, Gobert may need some time to season, but this late in the draft he's likely to be a steal if he can bulk up.

With the 27th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Denver Nuggets select Glen Rice Jr., shooting guard from the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Glen Rice Jr. can provide multiple things to the team right away. He is a very good jump shooter (38% from three this year), he is athletic and has a nice wingspan. He has a good size for shooting guard at 6'6'' and due to his wingspan, he could potentially bring very good defense to our team (remember this is basing off potential, don't consider him anything on special at the moment). Since he can shoot well, he can space the floor to allow Ty lawson to penetrate. let's not forget how he was the MVP in the champiosnhip-winning Vipers. Considering he was going against talent tougher than in college, it's ok to see his 14 points and 6 rebounds a game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, at this point, I'm going to suggest that you two alternate picks to at least get the first round done. It's pretty clear there's no way we'll get the second done, but we can fill out the top 30. Just one request - please check the "online" list to make sure the person you're picking for isn't currently on the board.

Thanks.

With the 28th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, San Antonio Spurs select...

Giannis Adetokunbo, from Greece

- Okay, I had Shane Larkin here at first, but then I decided that Adetokunbo just makes way more sense to them. They have the history drafting int'l players, the history developing them well, and they need upside. Both Larkin and Adetokunbo aren't likely to fall this far anyway, it's ridiculous either way, so I'll just go with what makes more sense.

This is the last one I can do as I'm heading out to watch the draft elsewhere. Later guys.

So we got four picks right (although maybe we should get half credit with the Wolves picking Muhammad) and two of them were my picks. You can all worship me now.