Kevin Martin

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't think he's ready to start. But if Doug is out I just don't think we have any option. Bobby is too important to our bench right now, and with 4 guys any of whom could be an All-Star this year in the starting lineup, maybe we can hide Martin there and make it simple for him -- hustle, try to defend, cut, stay out of the way.

Rest assured that Kevin Martin will be in the starting lineup on Nov. 2 at the off guard, if Doug is not quite ready to come back. His starting in that slot through the first 3 pre-season games is neither an accident nor an experiment. The Bibby/Bobby combo will get some play against selected guard tandems down the road, but not all of them.

Kevin has been a pleasant surprise for me. TMac schooled him quite a bit in China, but Kevin still held his own, worked hard, and TMac did not turn out to be a real difference maker in either game. He is most definitely hesitant to shoot the open jumper, but that should be corrected by month's end.

We should celebrate that we most likely have another great draft pick-up that will assuredly have earned a place in the regular rotation on a completely healthy Kings team...if that ever happens...

Bricklayer

One x-factor = Courtney Alexander. Guy who's a proven NBA vet. That would be the other option I would think. But given his injury (both the major one last year and the tweak thus preseason) and how little we've seen of him so far, its hard to tell how he fits. But as a proven scorer he could end up being the other option to start at OG for a few games until Doug gets back if the coaches aren't confident Martin is reasy yet.

Courtney is certainly a possible option to spell Doug at the 2 until he returns. My read of the tea leaves, though, at least so far, is that he's not there yet. Not much court time and hasn't shown much in those limited minutes.

But there's a still a ways to go yet in pre-season. We'll see...

I forgot about Alexander. Adelman DID run him with the starters in practice prior to the hammy injury. I guess we will see for sure in the next few pre-season games. If he sticks with Kevin, even when Courtney is able to go (as he did in Shanghai), then I would expect him to be the one to get the nod in the regular season IF Doug isn't ready. Knowing Doug, I'll bet he IS ready to go.;)
I still stick with the theory that it would be better to have a little more NBA experience in the 2nd unit, as opposed to having too many rooks at one time.

How tall is Kevin. I read 6'7, but he doesn't look that tall compared to the other players. Bill Walton commented that there was no way he was 6'7.

I wonder if he looks shorter b/c his frame is so small.

salscamperini said:
How tall is Kevin. I read 6'7, but he doesn't look that tall compared to the other players. Bill Walton commented that there was no way he was 6'7.

I wonder if he looks shorter b/c his frame is so small.
I thought the same thing but he's built alot like Rip Hamilton and when I look at him I think there is no way he is 6'7" as well. However, K-mart has that high "fade" haircut going that probably gives him another 2 inches.

Ryle, it's just his build. I thought the same thing, but he definitely IS taller than JRich (listed at 6'6") even if he does give up 45 pounds to the shorter man

I really think Martin is going to be a good player, we have seen that he can penetrate with amazing speeds, and he hustles for boards, plus hes got a basketball IQ thats really good, and that Athleticism is insane, you don't usually get a guy that is a pure shooter, and can dunk really good, plus is fast and can penetrate. You have to remember that we haven't even really seen his sweet shooting stroke, he hasn't taken many shots and his best quality is supposedly his shooting, I think once he gets comfortable he is going to make an impact on this team, how does Petrie keep pulling off Miracles?

I agree with Brick that Adelman should try everything to get decent production out of Alexander. The rookie will bring some energy and hustle, but we need a veteran that will produce on a nightly basis. Alexander has the talent, I hope that this time Adelman figures out the way to use a Wallace-like player.

sloter said:
I agree with Brick that Adelman should try everything to get decent production out of Alexander. The rookie will bring some energy and hustle, but we need a veteran that will produce on a nightly basis. Alexander has the talent, I hope that this time Adelman figures out the way to use a Wallace-like player.
So your saying you want to play Alexander over Martin?
Did you even watch the games?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're contradicting yourself, aren't you sloter? You say in one breath you hope Adelman gets decent production out of the veteran Alexander and then in the next you say you hope Adelman figures out a way to use a Wallace-like player...which I assuming means Martin.

I, for one, am not real happy with the selection of Alexander and I sincerely hope he doesn't take away minutes that could be used to further Martin's development as a King.

I would like to see the Kings experiment a little bit more with K-Mart at the starting spot. It will give him more confidence and I think he will be able to hold his own and provide some energy in our starting lineup (which is something we need sometimes). Chrisitie is usually that guy but recently it's only been in spurts. Moreover, I think that our depth with our second unit: Bobby, Christie/ Alexander, Bluthenthal/Barnes, Songaila and Otag is formindable. We still need to add a few more pieces, definately with another big and possibly another third string PG as a precaution.

VF21 said:
You're contradicting yourself, aren't you sloter? You say in one breath you hope Adelman gets decent production out of the veteran Alexander and then in the next you say you hope Adelman figures out a way to use a Wallace-like player...which I assuming means Martin.

I, for one, am not real happy with the selection of Alexander and I sincerely hope he doesn't take away minutes that could be used to further Martin's development as a King.
Exactly, as you can see from the last game Martin knows HOW TO PLAY, hes not just another scrub, he can ball, and the more minutes he gets now the better for the Kings, Alexander has been a little over-rated thus far, the year he averaged 17 points a game, he only play 27 games, now I would be impressed if he averaged it for a whole 82 game season but he didn't, he didn't look to impressive in his minutes that i've seen, I would much rather have Martin play behind Christie.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Martin has already gone up against some pretty impressive players and he's held his own. I'm not ready to annoint him the next DC or anything, but I'm certainly impressed with how much he brings to the court.

KingKong said:
I would like to see the Kings experiment a little bit more with K-Mart at the starting spot. It will give him more confidence and I think he will be able to hold his own and provide some energy in our starting lineup (which is something we need sometimes). Chrisitie is usually that guy but recently it's only been in spurts. Moreover, I think that our depth with our second unit: Bobby, Christie/ Alexander, Bluthenthal/Barnes, Songaila and Otag is formindable. We still need to add a few more pieces, definately with another big and possibly another third string PG as a precaution.
I can't see him starting this year with Adelman coaching, plus he still has a lot to learn he's only a rookie, you can't just throw a rook into the mix and start him on a championship contending team, he has to learn the basics of the NBA first, he will be good behind Christie this year, Christie's going to mentor him and hopefully the kid will have the defensive skill as Christie next year, he still going to get a good bunch of minutes this year, he's taking Peelers role so were going to see him for about 18-20 minutes a game, If he develops properly this year I can see him coming into the season as the Kings new Starting Shootng Guard!

VF21 said:

Alexander is a much more similar to Wallace than Martin is. As a matter of fact I don't see that much resemblence between Wallace and Martin at all.
Alexander is a SF, Wallace is a SF, Martin a SG. Alexander can post up, Wallace is good around the hoop, while Martin is a shooter.

OptimusRhyme said:
I can't see him starting this year with Adelman coaching, plus he still has a lot to learn he's only a rookie, you can't just throw a rook into the mix and start him on a championship contending team, he has to learn the basics of the NBA first, he will be good behind Christie this year, Christie's going to mentor him and hopefully the kid will have the defensive skill as Christie next year, he still going to get a good bunch of minutes this year, he's taking Peelers role so were going to see him for about 18-20 minutes a game, If he develops properly this year I can see him coming into the season as the Kings new Starting Shootng Guard!
Yes, after Christie's done.

OptimusRhyme said:
So your saying you want to play Alexander over Martin?
Did you even watch the games?
I've seen plenty of Alexander when he played for Washington. I thought he was going to be a star in this league back then. I still think he's capable of putting up 15 points a game.

Kingsgurl said:
I think we should call him 'Flash':D
No way! Flash would be good if his last name was Gordon, otherwise it sounds too much like "flash in the pan" and done. I want good/great things from this rook!:D

It's either Kevin "KevMO" Martin or Kevin "Quick Dog" Martin for me! :D I vote for QD!!! Let's get this going so our resident harummph guy has something to smile about!

KK!
harrumph Jr.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You are really missing the boat on this one, kingskings! He's "flash" because he's quick, not because he's a flash in the pan.

Kingsgurl was one of the first to recognize his potential to be a vital part of the Kings machinery. In fact, she even picked him in a fantasy draft for the Kings this summer when virtually no one thought he had a chance.

I agree with Kingsgurl!

OptimusRhyme said:
I'm not comparing players here but Tony Parker was not only thrown into the mix but also was the starting pg as a rookie in 01- 02 and led the Spurs to the best record in that year. The following year they won the championship. Some rookies adjust quickly to the system and thrive while others take longer to mature. I'm not saying that the Flash is going to be our saviour as a starter, what I am saying is anything is possible.

Bricklayer

Guys/gals, we're getting just a tad ahead of ourselves here.

In 3 preseason games so far Martin has averaged:

22.7min 7.0pts (.400, --, .750) 3.7reb 1.0ast 0.0stl 0.3blk 1.0TO 4.3FL

He looks to be a legit NBA player, which is great. But he's really not ready yet. And its going to take a while to see how good he is, and at what (can he hit an NBA three? Be disruptive defensively? How good a passer is he?). He's athletic and sticks his nose in there, but right now he's a foul with legs.

What he could really use is a breakout game where he's flowing and getting off the shots he wants to take. Or at least we as fans could really use it so we could get a feel for his game. Its been a little ragged so far. But its early.

Just so my position is crystal clear on this issue (the fact that I am so high on this kid may have clouded things a bit) I am NOT advocating starting him over DC. If DC is healthy, he (DC)will start. I am excited that he (Kevin) appears to have the tools to be a VERY good understudy to Doug, who as we all know, is not getting any younger.

Alexander is a SF, Wallace is a SF, Martin a SG. Alexander can post up, Wallace is good around the hoop, while Martin is a shooter.
I thought Alexander is a 2/3 and a little on the small side to be be playing extended minutes at the 3? Also heard a viscious rumor we weren't keeping him

On the nickname front, there is only one QD;) And I already told his (Kevin's) Grandma we are calling him Flash.

Bricklayer said:

In 3 preseason games so far Martin has averaged:

22.7min 7.0pts (.400, --, .750) 3.7reb 1.0ast 0.0stl 0.3blk 1.0TO 4.3FL

He looks to be a legit NBA player, which is great. But he's really not ready yet. And its going to take a while to see how good he is, and at what (can he hit an NBA three? Be disruptive defensively? How good a passer is he?). He's athletic and sticks his nose in there, but right now he's a foul with legs.

What he could really use is a breakout game where he's flowing and getting off the shots he wants to take. Or at least we as fans could really use it so we could get a feel for his game. Its been a little ragged so far. But its early.
Spoilsport:p

So far from his play do you guys think he is a top ten rookie? I would say so, hes quick on, offence & defence, can score like crazy, pass, he leads all rookies in free throw attempts and free throws made! I would say hes that good? what do you guys think?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Depends on whether you're naming him Rookie of the Year OR simply celebrating that, for a change, we have someone new we can be excited about...