Kayte Christensen

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Forgive the weakness of my Internet-fu, but I don't appear to be asking Doctor Internet the correct questions: Doug Christie has joined the Kings coaching staff, and Kayte Christensen-Hunter has replaced Doug, on commentary. Who replaced Kayte, on the sideline?
In all honesty, they probably don’t need a sideline person/with COVID restrictions in place, they probably can’t even get to the sidelines.

I’m guessing they’ll probably just have Kyle or Koz or whoever’s hosting the pregame show do it if necessary.

First time seeing her I knew she would take off. I know her really well now, and we have met on numerous occasions over the years. Sad that I won't be able to be at any of the games this year, although my father will be, and she's good friends with him.

The amount of hate I see everywhere for Kayte, I can't help but think maybe some of them just doesn't like things being explained to them by a woman. Hmmm...
Yeah it’s very over the top IMO. She’s just starting out in this position and hasn’t had the benefit of being in the venue. Kayte’s also no different than Hubie Brown and people often praise his long windedness

I don't think Kayte has been great, but she's also had what? 7 games as the color analyst? She's been great on the sideline and has more than paid her dues to get a shot at the booth. Certainly more than a handful of games

The amount of hate I see everywhere for Kayte, I can't help but think maybe some of them just doesn't like things being explained to them by a woman. Hmmm...
Was waiting for somebody to say this…took longer than I expected. Has nothing to do with that. I’ve been very outspoken about her. I think she was fabulous doing the pre/post game stuff and sideline reporting (also think Morgan is really good too). The color commentary is a different animal and she’s just not very good at it right now. Maybe she’ll get better. Maybe once they start announcing the games courtside again the broadcast team will get a lift from that.

Right now I think the PBP (both males BTW) is awful too. Then you add Matt Barnes to the pre/post stuff. It’s honestly an embarrassment.

lol let’s keep that PC crap out of here. Doris Burke is really good at her job. The new girl that came from the Deuce and Mo podcast thats paired up with Matt Barnes is good. People don’t like Kayte as of today for a reason. She’s just not universally good yet to everybody

lol let’s keep that PC crap out of here. Doris Burke is really good at her job. The new girl that came from the Deuce and Mo podcast thats paired up with Matt Barnes is good. People don’t like Kayte as of today for a reason. She’s just not universally good yet to everybody
Mo is really good because she's had a podcast for a long time, mainly talking about Kings basketball and she and Deuce Mason had a trial run last year announcing the G-League team.

Mo is really good because she's had a podcast for a long time, mainly talking about Kings basketball and she and Deuce Mason had a trial run last year announcing the G-League team.
can’t knock her for having more practice. Kayte can definitely improve for sure but she’s not all that great to everybody yet

Ha! I didn't accuse any of you, why y'all suddenly so uppity about it?

I was just raising a question out of all the (not just this forum) people who blatantly say mean things about her "explaining with too many words" and "talking over people" and "yelling too loud".

If the chair doesn't fit, you don't have to sit on it, you know?
What do any of those things have to do about her being a female? No one likes any of those attributes from anyone, whether it's a casual conversation or from a professional commentating team. Has absolutely nothing to do with whether they're male or female.

You are not coming from a higher place of morality, judgment or superiority. Baiting people on sexism and then backing out of it like all you're doing is stating the obvious and can't understand why anyone would disagree with your asinine statement. You've been around here way too long to troll like this. Just quit while you're behind.

Was waiting for somebody to say this…took longer than I expected. Has nothing to do with that. I’ve been very outspoken about her. I think she was fabulous doing the pre/post game stuff and sideline reporting (also think Morgan is really good too). The color commentary is a different animal and she’s just not very good at it right now. Maybe she’ll get better. Maybe once they start announcing the games courtside again the broadcast team will get a lift from that.

Right now I think the PBP (both males BTW) is awful too. Then you add Matt Barnes to the pre/post stuff. It’s honestly an embarrassment.
I disagree completely. I like how she ways what she thinks and isn’t always a shill for the team. She questioned rightly Luke’s decision on when to use the challenge but is a respectful way. I think she is very good.

Her job is made harder that the Kings are too cheap to actually send anyone on the road.

My complaint is it sounds like she's yelling into the microphone.
That would be a problem with the production team and those mixing the sound. It seems like people are criticizing Kayte for crap that should be directed at Vivek and his cheap ass production quality.

Not sending the broadcasters on the road
Having poor sound mixing

It’s pretty clear Vivek is cash strapped and cutting corners everywhere and Kayte seems to be taking the bulk of criticism that should be directed at Vivek who has proven to be not much better than the MaGoofs.

That would be a problem with the production team and those mixing the sound. It seems like people are criticizing Kayte for crap that should be directed at Vivek and his cheap ass production quality.

Having poor sound mixing

It’s pretty clear Vivek is cash strapped and cutting corners everywhere and Kayte seems to be taking the bulk of criticism that should be directed at Vivek who has proven to be not much better than the MaGoofs.
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with Vivek and everything to do with NBC sports broadcasting. Unless Vivek owns them too.

Good for her. She knows her crap. She deserves her shot. Now if they would just make her and Dave the afternoon drive spot on KHTK
Have you tried ESPN 1320? KC and DLo, 12-4 weekdays. They do about 75% kings with enough niners talk during football season. They are way better than anything that has been on KHTK in quite a long time. And now they are adding James Hamm to the team.

Having poor sound mixing

If it was production draper would sound the same. It's like she's the sideline reporter trying to talk loud above the background noise. But she's in a studio with no noise. Just talk normal, unless that is her normal.

I'm one of the "few" that doesn't like Doris Burke's presentation.
I'm one of the "few" that like Kayte's analysis and color commentary. It is much more tolerable than DC.
The PBP guys are OK until Kyle starts with the DC imitations and over-the-top reactions. That seems to throw Kayte a bit off.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Look, I get it. Change is hard. After twenty-something-odd years of listening to the same dudes tell the same stories about the same things (Did you know Jerry is from the same town as Larry Bird? Grant Napear went to Bowling Green! Jerry forgot to bring a suit on a road trip once!), it can be challenging listening to different voices talking about different things than you’re used to in a style different than what you’ve grown accustomed to over the past twenty plus years, especially when most of those years didn’t exactly have much else to enjoy than the banter between a middle-aged New Yorker and an elderly man from French Lick talking about whatever/rooting for the refs.

Unfortunately, age and one half of that announcing crew being toxic as hell (not even talking about the Boogie tweet thing) meant that that announcing crew ran its course. When faced with replacing this long-standing crew, NBC Sports went with one of the most well-respected national announcers in all of pro sports and, to fill in when he’s away on national games, a guy who’s been an understudy in Boston to one of the longest running broadcast crews in sports (Draper was probably taking over in Boston in a year or two regardless but him moving right before Tommy passed away probably hurt his career more than helped it). On color commentary, they went with Doug Christie first, who largely seemed to be doing broadcasting as a way to get into coaching and then Kayte Hunter, who people have been absolutely clamoring for to get a bigger role in broadcasts for the last half decade or so.

Sure, there have been bumps in the road, as there were for Grant and Jerry when they started, but, and this is all just my personal opinion so don’t get triggered by one dude’s take, the Venn diagram of people vehemently complaining about this current broadcast team and Grant getting canned for being dumb (he actually resigned from the play-by-play role so no lawsuits as far as this role is concerned) is a single circle. NBC could have hired ANYONE to do this job and y’all would have found a way to complain about it making your ears bleed or whatever.

Grant’s overly pasty, wife-abandoning ass ain’t walking back through those doors but he does have a weekly podcast for you guys to enjoy. Jerry also has been doing a good podcast with the Kings Herald guys if you’re all in the mood for Jerryisms. I’m not gonna say “Put up or shut up.” Just give this team a chance or figure out how to use the mute button.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
People sharing their opinions on the PbP. What did bringing up certain ethnic groups have to do with anything? Pro tip: being prejudice against white people makes you a racist got it homz.
I said nothing about race. Just seems to me you all would like the old crew back. Nothing prejudicial about that.

So…what are all the actual complaints? I’m genuinely curious, because what I’ve loosely picked up on in the game threads gives me real “old man yells at cloud” vibes.

Kayte: too loud, has opinions, know-it-all vibes
Draper: a bit of a homer, ‘lol’s too much
Jones: food references, not committed to team enough, repetitive stories

Any other constructive criticism?

48489CD2-38E7-46E0-8759-76337CFD7C51.jpeg