California Classic Day 1

It’s basically her first day at a new job. I know she called some before but it’s her gig now. Yeah she isn’t thinking about the fact that they have been together 3 maybe 4 days. But I like her and Draper. I will take Draper any day of the week over Jones.
Personally, I think both are sub-par. Draper tries too hard to be Jones w/ the catch phrases. Kayte is just terrible. She's great to say what we already know. She adds virtually nothing to the telecast for me. I wish they'd get someone with a little personality to color the commentary (Scot Pollard?)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Personally, I think both are sub-par. Draper tries too hard to be Jones w/ the catch phrases. Kayte is just terrible. She's great to say what we already know. She adds virtually nothing to the telecast for me. I wish they'd get someone with a little personality to color the commentary (Scot Pollard?)
Scot Pollard’s chances at a commentator job went away when Grant Napear decided to get himself canned

Can't stand Napear as a person but the telecasts have been bush league since he left. Jones is polished but got pretty goofy with Doug there. Everyone else is Mateen.

Scot Pollard’s chances at a commentator job went away when Grant Napear decided to get himself canned
I'm not sold on Pollard, but just get some personality. Jerry had personality (like it or not) and knowledge. I guess we were spoiled for so many years and didn't fully realize it. Hopefully, if it is Kayte, she continues to improve.

I spent a lot of time focusing on Woodard.

Offense
His offensive game still has a loooong way to go.
His moves (to free up for a shot) looked slow, methodical, and pre-thought out. There was little to no reaction or instinct.
He fades or floats left on his baseline 3 pt shot.

He did take the ball strong to the basket, but was fouled when he tried to go "coast to coast."
With this in mind it is easy to see why he went 4 for 14 yesterday from the floor. He was 0 for 4 from downtown.

Defense
His defensive game is much more polished.
He is an active defender and uses his strength to get to his spots (7 rebounds).

I was hoping for more from him.
IMHO he is not ready for backup mins at the SF.

terry played 2-3 months of last season in red star belgrade and he was utterly bad.
cuts and alley oops, roll man and alley oops was his play and nothing else. give him a ball with defender on his back, he won't have a clue what to do with it.

rebs - solid
def - bad
passing - N/A

he didn't lasted long, BUT... that roster was poorly selected, without true playmaker and terry didn't found his role in it. coach was also fired shortly after terry.
he looked as essence of one-dimensional player in that stint.
He looked really good in the G-league and experience is still experience. Any player like him is going to be dependent on playmakers as a roll man. He's the type of combo big that does well in the NBA right now, not so much elsewhere. Ekpe Udoh doesn't look so bad there, looks like garbage here. Different leagues. He put up a solid 10 and 10 in the G league last season and looked solid. He's in that range where a player like him kind of solidifies his role player abilities.

Can't stand Napear as a person but the telecasts have been bush league since he left. Jones is polished but got pretty goofy with Doug there. Everyone else is Mateen.
Grant and Jerry, as much as Grant may have had that other side to him were a classic commentary duo. And well worthy of all the attention they got as some of the best in the biz.

Offense
His moves (to free up for a shot) looked slow, methodical, and pre-thought out. There was little to no reaction or instinct.

He did take the ball strong to the basket, but was fouled when he tried to go "coast to coast."
With this in mind it is easy to see why he went 4 for 14 yesterday from the floor. He was 0 for 4 from downtown.

Defense
He is an active defender and uses his strength to get to his spots (7 rebounds).

We'll have to see how it goes but Woodard might indeed be more PF than SF. I know some figured him as a stretch 4 type coming in and that might be more of what he is naturally.

Offense

Defense

Yeah, King and Woodard are two guys I want to see in preseason where they aren't expected to be the lead offensive options. I'm totally fine with them getting their offensive reps in now, but the idea with them is to be big wings with huge wing spans that bring high energy/defend multiple positions and be efficient on low usage offensively.

King especially looked really comfortable with on-ball creation. He had a bunch of dumb turnovers that looked like nerves to me, but it's encouraging he even has that skill-set. Agreed on the Woodard creation; he looked very mechanical, although had a couple nice scoring moves as well.

Last edited: