Who can step up and be the leader?

Who can step up and be the leader?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: This is a really important topic, to the point where it deserves its own thread. I can add a poll, but we're only allowed 10 possible responses, so the potential leadership candidates will be somewhat arbitrarily decided by the poll's creator. (Me.)

The start of the Avalanche right there. Clearly this team’s issues run deeper than losing Shumpert, but I have no doubt in my mind that this started as a tiny snowball rolling down the hill the second he was traded for nothing.
Yep, I think about it all the time. The downhill slide started the moment he was traded away for a a bag of bricks. Like you said, it runs deeper than losing Shump, but that trade really, really sticks in my mind.

Yep, I think about it all the time. The downhill slide started the moment he was traded away for a a bag of bricks. Like you said, it runs deeper than losing Shump, but that trade really, really sticks in my mind.
There are different leadership styles, but certain people have a knack for saying the coldest things and still making it funny to the person on the receiving end. Shump is one of those people. I think it’s a style that resonated with this group, particularly Buddy. Without Shump, harsh truths are delivered by less deft leaders, or left unsaid.

It should be Fox, but I can empathize. It’s a hard thing to lead grown men with families, and many more years of experience than you, when you are only 20 or 21. It’s a difficult task. I think that, this summer, the locker room needs to be pruned to allow Fox to flourish.

In regards to Luke—NBA teams are self-policing. There’s not much a coach can do if there is not a strong voice in the locker room. Spare me Pop—he’s won squat w/out Timmy, and had a massive flameout w/ Timmy’s heir apparent immediately after Timmy retired.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think it should be Fox, he has the smarts and charisma...

But he's also very self aware, and I don't think he wants to step up and be that dude until he's a night in/night out stud on the court.

We're in limbo right now. Maybe Mr. Holmes can fill that roll and lead by example. We've certainly been trash without him.

Harrison Barnes should be the de facto leader solely based on years of experience and championship play. Unfortunately, he seems like an emotionally-numb milquetoast with zero personality. I don’t know the answer. It’s a team of role-players and beta males. I don’t see any fire or ever feel a sense of urgency from this squad. Lost season.

Not seeing great candidates in poll. Fox should of beginning of season. Sucks he got hurt. Not sure he has what it takes now. Team is really bad. Vlade will eventually be fired for this.

I think shump fit the bill as the leader for this team so well because he was in the know with the younger kids even though he was older. I think this resonated with our younger players because they could relate and socialize with him but at the same time they listened to him and looked up to him because he was knowledgable and had the experience. He was kinda like cool older cousin or younger uncle that you had growing up. I know Giles really looked up to shump. Right now unfortunately we don't have anyone on our team with these leadership qualities. It's gotta be Fox that steps and makes himself the leader.

It should be Fox, but I’ve seen enough to say that it won’t be him. It won’t be Bags either. The leader to be is not on this team.

And the above is not a diss. Steph n Durant weren’t the leaders of that GSW team. It was and is Draymond. The Kings need a Draymond, someone who will call others out n who will make others accountable.

It should be Fox, but I’ve seen enough to say that it won’t be him. It won’t be Bags either. The leader to be is not on this team.

And the above is not a diss. Steph n Durant weren’t the leaders of that GSW team. It was and is Draymond. The Kings need a Draymond, someone who will call others out n who will make others accountable.
Giles is the only guy with the type of personality to really lead but your play has to back up that mentality and so far it hasn't.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It would be Giles if whatever happened didn’t happen. Did you see him after Guy scores his first bucket? Remember him desperately trying to feed the deep bench guys baskets in that blowout last season? That’s leadership stuff right there

The fact that there even seems to be a question about who the leader of this Kings squad is right now speaks at least in part to the lack of stability within the organization. In a well-run franchise, a core group of players is thoughtfully assembled through a variety of acquisitions and an identity is established - the “heart” of a team. Even key members will certainly “attrition out“ over time, but proper management ensures that wholesale turnover is avoided by continually making the right moves - drafting sound prospects that can be seen as potential “heir apparents” for the guys departing and bringing in role players that fit the system and personnel already in place. Because there have been so many misfires by the FO over a period of many years by different hands, implementing an effective succession plan has been impossible and a leadership vacuum results.

The fact that there even seems to be a question about who the leader of this Kings squad is right now speaks at least in part to the lack of stability within the organization. In a well-run franchise, a core group of players is thoughtfully assembled through a variety of acquisitions and an identity is established - the “heart” of a team. Even key members will certainly “attrition out“ over time, but proper management ensures that wholesale turnover is avoided by continually making the right moves - drafting sound prospects that can be seen as potential “heir apparents” for the guys departing and bringing in role players that fit the system and personnel already in place. Because there have been so many misfires by the FO over a period of many years by different hands, implementing an effective succession plan has been impossible and a leadership vacuum results.
I see it quite differently. Ask anyone on the team for the past two years and it's very clear who they think the leader should be. There's no question at all. The problem is said player has not lived up to these expectations.

I liked Shump, but if his leadership was so important, then that is not a good sign about the mental fortitude and the makeup of this team.
Chemistry is a funny thing, but I wonder how much of it leads to winning and how much of it is a result of winning.

Right now, I think it is quite clear that Fox should be the leader of this team, but I am not sure he is a suitable alpha dog personality. I think Giles has the right mindset and attitude, but he is likely a goner.

Maybe if we can start a 5 game winning streak or something, some things will fall into place.