California Classic Day 1

Yeah, it seems counter-intuitive but the Kings could benefit from playing a bit more drop on some of those all out defensive possessions they had late in the game.
Or keep the pressure up on switches. Other than Davion being Davion they basically had the big play much like they did last season until they finally let Terry play up. But then he was out of position as the only help inside. If they truly think Davion can guard SF/PF then lets see it. If he can still play I want to see pressure and versatility. Those are the hallmarks of the two teams that made it to the end.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thank goodness. beyond about 6 players on this squad, 2 of which are out, this isn't an exactly a must see TV basketball squad right here.
Not gonna happen in summer league because he’s an RFA but would love to see how Terence Davis and the actual Kings players on this roster work together as a a unit.

So many similarities between summer team and kings team I'll give my top 3.

1. Both teams will have some solid individual defenders.
2. Both teams are led by a PG that can't shoot free throws.
3. Neither team seems to be able to find a SF.

So many similarities between summer team and kings team I'll give my top 3.

1. Both teams will have some solid individual defenders.
2. Both teams are led by a PG that can't shoot free throws.
3. Neither team seems to be able to find a SF.
i think Fox will hit at a 75% clip for FT’s this season (80% would be ideal). He got a lot better in the 2nd half of last season when they told him to slow down on free throws

Terry is pretty experienced and it's a travesty GM's have overlooked him. The player you see tonight is pretty much what you get.
terry played 2-3 months of last season in red star belgrade and he was utterly bad.
cuts and alley oops, roll man and alley oops was his play and nothing else. give him a ball with defender on his back, he won't have a clue what to do with it.

rebs - solid
def - bad
passing - N/A

he didn't lasted long, BUT... that roster was poorly selected, without true playmaker and terry didn't found his role in it. coach was also fired shortly after terry.
he looked as essence of one-dimensional player in that stint.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only thing I could even think to nitpick about his game last night was his passing vision and he's already on it. Smart player.
In all likelihood Mitchell will end up sharing the backcourt with either Fox or Haliburton, so while I'm glad he's looking to up his assists he won't have to be the primary playmaker most of the time.

The only time it could be an issue is if Hield isn't dealt and/or Davis is re-signed and Mitchell is getting minutes alongside one or both of them. If the Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright deal falls through that is another guard on the roster than can share court time with Mitchell and be more of a facilitator.

I still don't love the pick, but depending on what else happens this offseason to balance the roster, Mitchell should slot in well as a third guard ala BJax.

Nitpicking on Davion, besides the need to improve the FT’s, is developing a floater in the lane. He’s as good as advertised though.
He didn't show the floater last night, but I thought he had several "small guard in the trees" type moves at the rim that's needed to be an adequate scoring guard at the NBA level.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He didn't show the floater last night, but I thought he had several "small guard in the trees" type moves at the rim that's needed to be an adequate scoring guard at the NBA level.
Agreed, but I’m looking for everything for him. I think there is star potential here