Kayte Christensen-Hunter

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
In theory, the PBP guy is like a more polished fan who is making us, the viewers, more excited while we watch the game. Sort of like a narrator. The problem is, the guys who do it now, Draper and Jones, are just absolutely terrible. It's the same lame lines/cliches over and over again:

"Spin cycle"
"Weight room"
"Bully ball"
"Middie"
"Float game"
"Bang, bang, bang"
"Buddy....from Elk Grove" (sometimes they get creative and substitute different cities)

And then there is Jones and everything being a reference to food:

"Fox playing with his food up top"
"A little room service"
"He stole his cornbread"
"Jelly, jam, etc"
"Butter"
And the most incredible one of all: "He's hot like fish grease!"

It's just incredibly cringeworthy. The entire Kings TV crew, other than Morgan, is just terrible. I can deal with Kayte for now and I think she'll get better. I mean, they have Matt Barnes doing the pre, half, and post game shows. It's embarrassing, honestly.
True, but Grant did nothing for me either. Way too often all he said was the players names as they touched the ball. "Webber...Bibby....Christie....Vlade!" or whatever. And his same stuff got so old after so many years. At least these guys try to spice/change it up a bit more. ;) I'm enjoying the broadcasts more this year than previously with the new voices and the increased analysis. I do miss Jerry though.

I'm not anti-PBP per se at all, I'm just personally more interested in the color/analysis side of things while I'm watching a televised game.

Good discussion. I said it before and will say it again; announcers are a big part of the enjoyment of the game. Sure, the game is the bottom line for what matters, but enjoying the broadcast and fan enjoyment is what drives the funding for the game.

No enjoyment, no fans, no money, no talent, and then loop back around.

True, but Grant did nothing for me either. Way too often all he said was the players names as they touched the ball. "Webber...Bibby....Christie....Vlade!" or whatever. And his same stuff got so old after so many years. At least these guys try to spice/change it up a bit more. ;) I'm enjoying the broadcasts more this year than previously with the new voices and the increased analysis. I do miss Jerry though.

I'm not anti-PBP per se at all, I'm just personally more interested in the color/analysis side of things while I'm watching a televised game.
They cant even get analysis correct. The other game they didn't know why it was clear path. When the play happened I knew it was clear path because he made the pass before the foul and Metu was ahead of the play. Instead of continuing to talk talk talk, watch the replay and look! You maybe would have noticed the pass before the foul and mentioned it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
They cant even get analysis correct. The other game they didn't know why it was clear path. When the play happened I knew it was clear path because he made the pass before the foul and Metu was ahead of the play. Instead of continuing to talk talk talk, watch the replay and look! You maybe would have noticed the pass before the foul and mentioned it.
Yeah, I got that one right when it happened, too. That was a strange situation because they called a clear path foul when the person fouled wasn't ahead of the defenders. But in general, I find what they provide informative.

This is what color commentators do more frequently in general, or haven't you heard Jeff Van Gundy ramble on for 5 minutes about something random while play moves on. I don't think she's any worse at this than Christie or Jerry were. She just needs to make sure she picks her spots. End of game, important possessions, etc., of course her focus needs to be on the action. But if we're 2 minutes into the game and she's talking over some run of the mill play, free throw, or whatever, I personally think that's fine as long as the point she's making is interesting (and maybe that's where we differ).

I think she's doing a good job, but as Warhawk said... different strokes for different folks.
Her talking is fine. her doing her job as an analysis is fine. she is just very long winded(Shes not in studio anymore), she need to work on picking her spots, hell even Mark Jones poked fun at her a couple games ago. and im sorry she is def worse than jerry and doug at this point, but shes new, so its to be expected.