Josh Jackson

At this point I'm not too concerned about his off court issues. It could have been a one off incident fueled by some alcohol...who knows.
I just don't want a player who is a malcontent or disinterested at times and I don't get that from Jackson. I would think he would be a good fit and certainly plays a position of need for the Kings, although going SF at 5 might make it difficult to get a good PG at 10.

My main objective in mentioning the Cowbell Kingdom podcast was to put Jackson into our conversation. He might very well fall, and if its related to character issues it wont be the first time very good player falls to us at 5 because of character. Also as I said above we now have what appears a good young team and certainly a good coaching staff to help balance out dramas.

Here's a video of Jackson's last season highlights. As you'll see in the video, the majority of Jackson's scoring come at, or near the basket. He definitely had a habit of passing up open looks on the perimeter to attack the basket. While he was highly successful at it in college, I think he'll find it harder to do at the NBA level if he can't make them defend his jumpshot. He is a good ball handler, and has s good first step, so I think he can still be very effective off the dribble.

He's a very unselfish player and is a willing and very good passer. He plays off the ball very well and is constantly moving. As you'll see in the video, he's a good finisher, and relentless around the basket fighting for putbacks. He also rebounds out of his area. Defensively he's a monster. He's a very good weakside shot blocker and gets more than his share of steals in the passing lanes. He needs to add strength, and he needs to improve his jumpshot. If he can do both those things, your looking at a player with star potential. At that point, it becomes about how much of an issue you want to make of his off court incident.

Let me put it this way, Jackson didn't go up in the stands and punch a fan the way Marcus Smart did. And that was just one of the incidents with Smart. He didn't get disgusted and walk off the floor while play was going on, and have to be physically shoved back onto the floor by his coach, the way Lance Stephenson did. Compared to those two, he's a freaking angel. Just trying to give a little perspective.

Jackson is a beast. He's a fierce competitor with the skills to match. He won't be around at #5. If 76ers don't take him the Suns will. One of my favorite questions to ask is "how easy does the guy make the game look?" Jackson makes the game look damn easy. I am not even worried about the low release on his shot in front of his face. He's so quick and threat to drive defenders are going to respect that ability and give him space to get his jumper. I see Jackson as a SF version of Fox, or Fox as a PG version of Jackson in terms quickness and attack mode and defensive potential. The draft is getting simpler to me. We know with almost 100% odds we have choice of Isaac or Fox at #5. I say we take whoever is there. The Kings should be thrilled with either one of these guys after our lotto luck. #10 gets trickier. OG Anunoby and Donovan stand out to me at #10 as diamonds in the rough, assuming knee with OG is checking out. I am weary of a guy who has superior athleticism rehabbing to former self, but I want to trust advancements made in ACL surgery. With this caveat. if two of the four players are from this group, we've had a great draft:
  • Isaac
  • Fox
  • OG
  • Donovan
These guys project as capable possibly dominant defenders. They could be Top 5 at their position defensively. This means you can put them in the rotation and they will hold their own as their offense develops. If their offense lags, they can still set up more shots for Buddy and Skal. ;) Of course the knee with OG means perhaps he's not ready until January 2018. This would be disappointing but the conservative approach with the long term horizon. The guys I am crossing off the list are Smith Jr, Tatum, Lauri, Collins, Frank N. I have nothing negative to say about Frank N (age 18.8) except if you think highly of the kid, it's probably going to be 3 years before guy is ready handle starter minutes. The transition is compounded by being Euro. Our core wants to be able to compete for playoff as soon as 2018. I don't see his development curve on track with curve of our other guys, given challenge of PG position.

Coming into the season, I was not a big fan of Jackson at all. Saw him as a Winslow-clone and not a top 5 pick. After watching Kansas' first 5-6 major games, I was convinced that he was a special talent...#2. After that, I stopped scouting him completely because I thought we had no chance at him (Kings were still in play for 8th seed at this time). As weird as it sounds, I somehow lost my draft notes on him and completely forgot why I considered him special. I'll have to go back and re-watch tape on him before I can form another opinion. I guess at least I won't have confirmation bias? :confused:

I think there's a chance that Josh Jackson could be this year's slider. I'm scared of sliders..... I firmly remember T-Rob being the consensus #2 after AD. I also remember B-Mac being #2 for the longest on draftboards..

Coming into the season, I was not a big fan of Jackson at all. Saw him as a Winslow-clone and not a top 5 pick. After watching Kansas' first 5-6 major games, I was convinced that he was a special talent...#2. After that, I stopped scouting him completely because I thought we had no chance at him (Kings were still in play for 8th seed at this time). As weird as it sounds, I somehow lost my draft notes on him and completely forgot why I considered him special. I'll have to go back and re-watch tape on him before I can form another opinion. I guess at least I won't have confirmation bias? :confused:

I think there's a chance that Josh Jackson could be this year's slider. I'm scared of sliders..... I firmly remember T-Rob being the consensus #2 after AD. I also remember B-Mac being #2 for the longest on draftboards..
What is it about Kansas, Sacramento, and sliders?

Hard to see him slip past Philly AND Phoenix. He would be a great fit on both those teams. Phoenix could really use an athletic wing defender with Devin Booker in there for the next generation. Crazier things have happened.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel pretty confident that Fultz, Jackson and Ball will be off the board when the Kings pick.

If the Lakers pass on Ball then I think the Sixers pounce. I think Philadelphia is actually the best fit for Ball. And if Philly passes on Jackson I think the Suns happily nab him.

I think it's a near lock that Fultz goes #1. If he doesn't, one of the next three teams would absolutely take him.

So to me the question is who the fourth player taken before the Kings pick is. I'm rooting hard that it's Monk to Philly or Tatum to either Ohilly or Phoenix.

I feel pretty confident that Fultz, Jackson and Ball will be off the board when the Kings pick.

If the Lakers pass on Ball then I think the Sixers pounce. I think Philadelphia is actually the best fit for Ball. And if Philly passes on Jackson I think the Suns happily nab him.

I think it's a near lock that Fultz goes #1. If he doesn't, one of the next three teams would absolutely take him.

So to me the question is who the fourth player taken before the Kings pick is. I'm rooting hard that it's Monk to Philly or Tatum to either Ohilly or Phoenix.
I could see a scenario where it goes: Fultz, Ball, Monk, Fox, and Jackson falls. I still think PHX would happily take Jackson, however Bledsoe is 27 while Booker is 20. I think the age might tempt Phoenix to draft a younger PG.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I could see a scenario where it goes: Fultz, Ball, Monk, Fox, and Jackson falls. I still think PHX would happily take Jackson, however Bledsoe is 27 while Booker is 20. I think the age might tempt Phoenix to draft a younger PG.
They have one. Tyler Ulis

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love to see the Sixers draft Monk but I think if they do it will most likely be in a trade down.

I have no idea what the Suns are thinking. I think if Jackson is there he's the guy. If not I could see Tatum or Isaac or Fox. But Fox would be tricky. They'd pretty much have to deal Knight or Bledsoe for pennies on the dollar. Knight because of his contract and Bledsoe because he can't stay healthy. For the Suns to draft a rookie PG and then put Bledsoe on the block would basically be admitting that they don't think EB can ever stay healthy.

I'd dangle Malachi and #5 for #3 and see if that gets a deal done. That's how much I want Fox. But I don't think Philly does that deal unless Monk really is their guy.

But Malachi and #5 for #3 and then #10, #34 and Afflalo's contract to Minnesota for Pekovic and #7 would be my ideal scenario if it landed the Kings Fox and Isaac.

Cauley-Stein
Labissiere
Isaac
Hield
Fox

Is potentially a very good defensive team with good offensive balance.

I'd love to see the Sixers draft Monk but I think if they do it will most likely be in a trade down.

I have no idea what the Suns are thinking. I think if Jackson is there he's the guy. If not I could see Tatum or Isaac or Fox. But Fox would be tricky. They'd pretty much have to deal Knight or Bledsoe for pennies on the dollar. Knight because of his contract and Bledsoe because he can't stay healthy. For the Suns to draft a rookie PG and then put Bledsoe on the block would basically be admitting that they don't think EB can ever stay healthy.

I'd dangle Malachi and #5 for #3 and see if that gets a deal done. That's how much I want Fox. But I don't think Philly does that deal unless Monk really is their guy.

But Malachi and #5 for #3 and then #10, #34 and Afflalo's contract to Minnesota for Pekovic and #7 would be my ideal scenario if it landed the Kings Fox and Isaac.

Cauley-Stein
Labissiere
Isaac
Hield
Fox

I'd rather sit tight and hope he's there at five. Tatum and Jackson are a good bet to go three and four. I just can't see Philly picking Fox with Simmons there so that leaves Phoenix who's also not a good bet for the reasons you listed. I think Fox is there at five... And if he's not we'll end up with a really good sf prospect. At the end of the day sf is probably a tougher spot to fill than pg anyways.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather sit tight and hope he's there at five. Tatum and Jackson are a good bet to go three and four. I just can't see Philly picking Fox with Simmons there so that leaves Phoenix who's also not a good bet for the reasons you listed. I think Fox is there at five... And if he's not we'll end up with a really good sf prospect. At the end of the day sf is probably a tougher spot to fill than pg anyways.
For the most part I agree. But lately I've been thinking of how long it takes young PGs to figure things out. The Kings could draft a PG next year (Sexton maybe?) but it pushes team development back a year. That and I really like Fox.

For the most part I agree. But lately I've been thinking of how long it takes young PGs to figure things out. The Kings could draft a PG next year (Sexton maybe?) but it pushes team development back a year. That and I really like Fox.
We could still get Ntilikina at ten. But yeah I know what you mean... Fox would be a great fit. Isaac/Ntilikina would be an interesting first two picks if Fox is gone though... A lot of length and upside there.

I have always had the mindset that your PG is an extention of the coach. Therefore the most vital position and critical for success. The other positions are all important, but each of them looks to the PG for direction.

As already mentioned, it takes time for a rookie PG to not only acclimate to the NBA, but also to Joerger. We need our floor general of the next chapter to be the right one and in place as soon as is possible.

Cauley-Stein
Labissiere
Isaac
Hield
Fox

Jackson to PHX would be great for the Suns. He can run point forward and help get buckets for Bender and Chriss. This is an impressive skill that Jackson possesses. Getting rebound and going, driving and kicking. Tatum has little to no ability in this regard. If PHI passes on Jackson the Suns will be thrilled. Chances are pretty good the 76ers take Jackson, going for BPA over need (Monk).

I can unfortunately see Suns taking Fox and trading Bledsoe. It is unlikely they can find taker for Knight but they can find a trade team for Bledsoe (2 year / 28.5 M). That would free them to draft Fox. Having Fox would be good pairing with Booker and nice set-up man for their young bigs. The Suns could trade Bledsoe to the 76ers (future 1st round pick and Okafor?). That could be positive for both teams.

I don't think keeping Bledsoe makes sense for Suns rebuild. Trading him away frees time for Fox and Ulis. Maybe Knight gets back up minutes at SG behind Booker. I don't know if this is what Suns will do but this is what I'd do if committed to Bender and Chriss and wanted to give them best chance to succeed.
  • Celts - Fultz
  • Lakers - Ball
  • 76ers - Jackson (acquire Bledsoe from PHX)
  • Suns - Fox (trade Bledsoe to PHI)
  • Kings - Isaac
This leaves Kings with the question I proposed week ago: Tatum or Isaac? I think we take Isaac hands down. Don't even get me started on Smith Jr at #5. Not going to happen :p

Jackson to PHX would be great for the Suns. He can run point forward and help get buckets for Bender and Chriss. This is an impressive skill that Jackson possesses. Getting rebound and going, driving and kicking. Tatum has little to no ability in this regard. If PHI passes on Jackson the Suns will be thrilled. Chances are pretty good the 76ers take Jackson, going for BPA over need (Monk).

I can unfortunately see Suns taking Fox and trading Bledsoe. It is unlikely they can find taker for Knight but they can find a trade team for Bledsoe (2 year / 28.5 M). That would free them to draft Fox. Having Fox would be good pairing with Booker and nice set-up man for their young bigs. The Suns could trade Bledsoe to the 76ers (future 1st round pick and Okafor?). That could be positive for both teams.

I don't think keeping Bledsoe makes sense for Suns rebuild. Trading him away frees time for Fox and Ulis. Maybe Knight gets back up minutes at SG behind Booker. I don't know if this is what Suns will do but this is what I'd do if committed to Bender and Chriss and wanted to give them best chance to succeed.
  • Celts - Fultz
  • Lakers - Ball
  • Kings - Isaac
This leaves Kings with the question I proposed week ago: Tatum or Isaac? I think we take Isaac hands down. Don't even get me started on Smith Jr at #5. Not going to happen :p
Isaac or Tatum would be such an interesting decision to see Vlade make. I wonder if Tatum being more NBA ready would factor heavily into the decision?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

• Celts - Fultz
  • Lakers - Ball
  • Kings - Isaac
I hadn't given this any thought previously, but if the Suns take Fox at #4, what would Kings fans think about trading #10 for Bledsoe?

I'd be really wary given his injury history but depending on who is left on the board at #10 I could see that being an option.

I hadn't given this any thought previously, but if the Suns take Fox at #4, what would Kings fans think about trading #10 for Bledsoe?

I'd be really wary given his injury history but depending on who is left on the board at #10 I could see that being an option.
Damaged goods and everyone knows it. Part of the reason Phoenix shut him down early again.

I'm probably one of the biggest Devin Booker fans.........but he's godawful on defense. Ulis is 5'10 150lbs..They would make Lillard-McCollum look average.

Cauley-Stein
Labissiere
Isaac
Hield
Fox

I don't see a scenario where Minnesota would trade back to off-load Pekovic's contract. They aren't in need of cap-space right now. His contract has only 1 year remaining, and expires the same time as Wiggins and LaVine. However, I could easily see them agreeing to the trade if we included 1 of our young guys and took out 34.

With your proposed Minny trade, would you consider swapping Hield+10 for LaVine+7? I'm ridiculously high on LaVine. He's a year younger than Buddy, and was an 18ppg scorer before his injury. I would do that trade in a heartbeat. However if we did that trade, I don't think I'd draft Fox at 5.

Ntilikina
LaVine
Isaac
Skal
WCS

True but the question always is whether the player you are drafting will be better than the one you already have. You don't necessarily got for need that early in the draft and PHX GM does like his Kentucky guards. I can definitely see PHX drafting Fox and looking to trade Bledsoe to get most value for him. Then have Fox and Ulis fight it out and give some minutes to Knight to try and make him a tradable asset again.

Cauley-Stein
Labissiere
Isaac
Hield
Fox

I don't think it will be admitting that EB can't stay healthy as much as it is about trying to align the ages of their young core. Think about it, when PHX is ready to be a play off team or a contender, EB will be on his last legs. They might love Ulis but if they think Fox is a much better long term player, they would have no hesitation in picking Fox and going with the Fox/Booker backcourt (their GM loves Kentucky guards).

I would love to see your scenario happen with Fox/Isaac or even Fox/Tatum but IMHO there is a real chance that PHX pick Fox. If it ends up being between Fox and Jackson or Tatum for them, I think it becomes about who they think is the best player for them going forward. Teams are a bit more reluctant to make the mistake of going for the fit with their top 5 picks. You just have to go best available regardless of position or trade down.

Damaged goods and everyone knows it. Part of the reason Phoenix shut him down early again.
They were shutting him down to lose games intentionally. I don't think the Kings would have any interest in Bledsoe for the same reason the Suns should strongly consider trading him. His timeline does not fit timeline of their roster nor ours. He is a free agent two seasons, coinciding with time Suns and Kings would like to be playoff contenders. With regards to the 76ers it is a little more interesting, since Bledsoe can cross match with Simmons defensively. Bledsoe is comfortable playing off the ball too and would take some of the ball handling pressure off Simmons. It would kind of be a perfect addition to that team if they are ready to try to compete for 8th seed after so many years of intentionally losing.

Isaac or Tatum would be such an interesting decision to see Vlade make. I wonder if Tatum being more NBA ready would factor heavily into the decision?
The question is not "who is most NBA ready?" The question is "who has the best chance to be an all-star?" You could argue however the rookie more able to defend is more able to command minutes. Isaac projects as more capable defender from Day 1 than Tatum.

Also, take this FWIW:
  • Tatum ORtg - DRtg (109.8 - 105.9) > + 3.9 differential
  • Isaac ORtg - DRtg (122.2 - 93.6) > + 28.4 differential!
  • Tatum PER: 20.6
  • Isaac PER: 26.2
  • Tatum REBS / 40M: 8.6
  • Isaac REB / 40M: 11.5
  • Tatum Block Rate: 2.4%
  • Isaac Block Rate: 6.2%
  • Tatum TS%: 56.5%
  • Isaac TS%: 61.4%
Most of the advanced stats favor Isaac. More rebounds, blocks, shooting efficiency. In particular what stands out is 28.4 point differential, far and away the best among all his Florida State teammates. (I like to compare player differential to team differential but couldn't seem to locate it). This means when this guy was on the floor the team kicked butt, and he should have played more. Tatum produced more because he play 7 more minutes per game, 33 MPG to 26 MPG.

Tatum's advanced stats are NOT that impressive. You can say you want about polished footwork and offensive game, but 56% TS is rather pedestrian.

Last edited:
The question is not "who is most NBA ready?" The question is "who has the best chance to be an all-star?" You could argue however the rookie more able to defend is more able to command minutes. Isaac projects as more capable defender from Day 1 than Tatum.

Also, take this FWIW:
  • Tatum ORtg - DRtg (109.8 - 105.9) > + 3.9 differential
  • Isaac ORtg - DRtg (126.1 - 96.8) > + 29.3 differential!
  • Tatum PER: 20.6
  • Isaac PER: 26.2
  • Tatum REBS / 40M: 8.6
  • Isaac REB / 40M: 11.5
  • Tatum Block Rate: 2.4%
  • Isaac Block Rate: 6.2%
  • Tatum TS%: 56.5%
  • Isaac TS%: 61.4%
Most of the advanced stats favor Isaac. More rebounds, blocks, shooting efficiency. In particular what stands out is 29 point differential, far and away the best among all his Florida State teammates. (I like to compare player differential to team differential but couldn't seem to locate it). This means when this guy was on the floor the team kicked butt, and he should have played more. Tatum produced more because he play 7 more minutes per game, 33 MPG to 26 MPG.

Tatum's advanced stats are NOT that impressive. You can say you want about polished footwork and offensive game, but 56% TS is rather pedestrian.
I completely agree we should take the guy with the most upside... Is that what vlade will do is the question? He might not have the time to wait on Isaac to develop. We have to win in 2019 for him to keep his job I believe. Will Isaac or Tatum help him more then? And how much will that factor into his decision? As a fan I'll gladly wait three years for Isaac to develop if that's what it takes but GM's are looking at things with timelines in mind.

I completely agree we should take the guy with the most upside... Is that what vlade will do is the question? He might not have the time to wait on Isaac to develop. We have to win in 2019 for him to keep his job I believe. Will Isaac or Tatum help him more then? And how much will that factor into his decision? As a fan I'll gladly wait three years for Isaac to develop if that's what it takes but GM's are looking at things with timelines in mind.
Why are you are presupposing it will take Isaac three years to develop? He looks capable of defending immediately. And defending your man is often the #1 indicator whether or not a coach trusts a rookie with playing time. It is true Tatum has more polish to his offensive game, but a rookie like Isaac can create opportunity points getting follow dunks, fast break points and spot up for open shots. Tatum made 34% of this 3s while Isaac made 36% of his 3s so it is not as if Isaac is going to automatically be inferior knocking down the perimeter J.

Why are you are presupposing it will take Isaac three years to develop? He looks capable of defending immediately. And defending your man is often the #1 indicator whether or not a coach trusts a rookie with playing time. It is true Tatum has more polish to his offensive game, but a rookie like Isaac can create opportunity points getting follow dunks, fast break points and spot up for open shots. Tatum made 34% of this 3s while Isaac made 36% of his 3s so it is not as if Isaac is going to automatically be inferior knocking down the perimeter J.
I'm not supposing that... Just throwing it out there as a possibility given the scouting reports I've been reading on the two players. Tatum is by most accounts fairly NBA ready while Isaac might need to mature physically a bit. Either way I'd take Isaac over Tatum at this point... Just pondering if Vlade would do the same.

I'm probably one of the biggest Devin Booker fans.........but he's godawful on defense. Ulis is 5'10 150lbs..They would make Lillard-McCollum look average.

I don't see a scenario where Minnesota would trade back to off-load Pekovic's contract. They aren't in need of cap-space right now. His contract has only 1 year remaining, and expires the same time as Wiggins and LaVine. However, I could easily see them agreeing to the trade if we included 1 of our young guys and took out 34.

With your proposed Minny trade, would you consider swapping Hield+10 for LaVine+7? I'm ridiculously high on LaVine. He's a year younger than Buddy, and was an 18ppg scorer before his injury. I would do that trade in a heartbeat. However if we did that trade, I don't think I'd draft Fox at 5.

Ntilikina
LaVine
Isaac
Skal
WCS
They would be giving us a better player and a better pick for a worse player and a worse pick. Doesn't really make any sense from their end.

I think it's very possible that the Suns grab Isaac at 4 if Jackson is off the board.
Certainly could be, but I see Isaac as having a comparable skillset to Dragan Bender. I don't know if they want to invest the 4th pick in a guy who sort of duplicates this vision of a hybrid transcendent 7'0" combo forward. I think they are better advised to get a player to complement Bender and Chriss to optimize their success. That guy is Fox or Jackson. Jackson projects as point forward who can initiate and find these guys to finish plays. Jackson is really special in this regard. Fox could be even better to make this team go if they can clear out playing time for him with Bledsoe trade.

I think Isaac is going to be available to us at #5. I have less confidence Fox will be.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Certainly could be, but I see Isaac as having a comparable skillset to Dragan Bender. I don't know if they want to invest the 4th pick in a guy who sort of duplicates this vision of a hybrid transcendent 7'0" combo forward. I think they are better advised to get a player to complement Bender and Chriss to optimize their success. That guy is Fox or Jackson. Jackson projects as point forward who can initiate and find these guys to finish plays. Jackson is really special in this regard. Fox could be even better to make this team go if they can clear out playing time for him with Bledsoe trade.

I think Isaac is going to be available to us at #5. I have less confidence Fox will be.
Bender's best skill may be his passing. But yes, I think if Jackson is there the Suns swoop in. But if he goes top 3 I could see Isaac being the pick.

If (and it's a big if) Bledsoe can stay healthy, they could be competetive as soon as next season. Fox would mean a 2-3 years before they can possibly be competitive. How patient is the Suns front office? How patient is their owner? Key questions for this draft.

They would be giving us a better player and a better pick for a worse player and a worse pick. Doesn't really make any sense from their end.
Well you're probably right. Maybe 5 instead of #10? If we did it the other way around and included another young player, it could I think it would make some sense on their end. LaVine is clearly the better player with the higher potential, but there's other factors to consider. He's coming off a torn ACL heading into his final contract year. Is Minnesota comfortable with maxing out LaVine? On top of that, they have Andrew Wiggins who's a ball dominant ISO scorer and terrible defender. They also have KAT who's another ball dominant ISO scorer that is a BAD defender. LaVine has shown that he's more of a combo guard than a stand-still SG, but he's also a BAD defender. Buddy is more comfortable than LaVine as an 0ff-ball scorer, and they'll have him on a rookie contract for 3 additional years vs 1.

I'm extremely high on LaVine. I think he has potential to be a superstar, but I don't see it happening at Minnesota.