Jim Jackson - released by Suns...

Suns Press Release - The Phoenix Suns announced today that they have waived swingman Jim Jackson.
The 6-6, 220-pound guard/forward averaged 3.7 points and 2.4 rebounds in 15.6 minutes in 27 games (one start) with the Suns in 2005-06. Jackson, who is in his 14th NBA season, has not played in the team’s last 24 games, dating back to Jan. 4 vs. Philadelphia.
“Jimmy has made great contributions to our team and has been a consummate professional. We wish him well,” said Suns Head Coach Mike D’Antoni.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39396/19691231/suns_release_jim_jackson/ (this was the link)

Really surprised he hasn't been used the last 24 games... even with the new guys.

I'd love to see us get him for the bench, but like with Delk, I bet he gets signed by a top team/legit playoff team.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There's no room for Jackson with the Kings, especially when Bonzi comes back.

In no way do I want to stunt Cisco and Kevin's playing time with a Jimmy Jackson.

Dont get me wrong, I love JJ, but just not on this current team.

Has there ever been another solid NBA player that has been excused from so many teams? It is strange to me how this guy can never seem to find a home. It must be really strange to him. I really like his game and would love it if the Kings could find him a place on the team.

Why would JJ want to come back here when he played his heart out and did not even get offered some sort of contract? He's a great player and I hope he finds a home somewhere soon.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He's not the player he was a few years back, and I have no interest in seeing us squish Kevin and Cisco for him the way we did Hedo and Wallace. We've already got the power guard type positions well covered with Bonzi/Artest. IF we were still chasing a title and IF he was still the same player...maybe. But not in a rebuilding year for an declining guy.

If a team waives or releases a player at this point in the season, are they still required to pay the players? How does that work? I've always been confused by that.

the Bulls released Tim Thomas, do you think he could be a helping hand to us if we sign him. He has, however, insisted that he goes to the Spurs or Nets.

Sac.Kings said:
the Bulls released Tim Thomas, do you think he could be a helping hand to us if we sign him. He has, however, insisted that he goes to the Spurs or Nets.
hmmm... too much of a tweener. hes 6-10 but certainly doesnt play like it.

I really want to sign jim jackson. WE never should have let him go 3 years ago... we should sign him now. I mean we have injuries... and he will take the league minimun. I love his game. even if he is going on 70 years old.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SLAB said:
There's no room for Jackson with the Kings, especially when Bonzi comes back.

In no way do I want to stunt Cisco and Kevin's playing time with a Jimmy Jackson.

Dont get me wrong, I love JJ, but just not on this current team.
Word.

Bonzi needs time to get back in to game shape and I doubt he'll be able to give us over 30 MPG. Garcia's out for atleast a week with the ankle. What's the worst that could happen? It'd help to have a veteran player like JJax in the POs(if we get there), atleast IMO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If he's still that good, Phoenix wouldn't have cut him...

We have Bonzi about ready to come back, we have Sergei who plays the same position.

This love affair people have with players who have moved on is just unrealistic.

Ask yourself one question: If he's still able to play and be productive, WHY WAS HE CUT?

The guys who came in - James Jones/Boris Diaw/Raja Bell took his minutes, simple as that. If one or two of them weren't there, he'd be playing and getting minutes.

Doesn't mean he isn't good/solid anymore. I wouldn't mind getting him, but am not desperate or anything.

On Grant's show, he said the Kings won't be signing anyone because right now they are under the cap. If they remain under the cap, the Maloof's will get a 4-5 million dollar check from the league at the end of the season. If they sign someone like Jackson or Barry, it will put them back over the cap and cost the maloof's $$$, so they will stand pat.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
hoops4kings said:
On Grant's show, he said the Kings won't be signing anyone because right now they are under the cap. If they remain under the cap, the Maloof's will get a 4-5 million dollar check from the league at the end of the season. If they sign someone like Jackson or Barry, it will put them back over the cap and cost the maloof's $$$, so they will stand pat.
Now normally I am not hugely in facor of letting money guide basketball decisions, but when you start talking about 4-5 million dollars vs. 25 games of a new 10th/11th type man...think I am seeing the Maloofs point of view on this one.

hoops4kings said:

You mean the luxury tax?

Anyways, I wonder what they will use the money they get on.

hoops4kings said:

Yep, The kings are a whopping 4 grand(According to Grant) under the cap.

Plus he said he talked to JB Wednsday night and JB said he had interest from Clippers, Lakers, and Denver. But he doesnt want a 10 day deal so he'll decide whats next after the season.

Btw.... Just say no to Really Old Vets!

Last edited: