Jaren Jackson Jr

This new thread is to discuss Jaren Jackson Jr.
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2/6/16976438/jaren-jackson-jr-best-big-man-draft
So the Kings have the #2 pick in this year's draft. It seems the smart money for the top two choices is Deandre Ayton and Luka Doncic. And the Kings will get whichever one the Suns don't pick for #1. Fine. I will be excited to have either one of them. But there are scenarios in which the Kings may choose someone else at #2. Maybe they go for need over BPA/best player available (which most of us know they shouldn't do), or maybe Ayton or Doncic slide, or maybe a 2nd tier guy climbs the ladder, or maybe Doncic doesn't commit to coming over next year. Looking at consensus mock drafts, Jaren Jackson Jr is most often one of the top four picks.

I wonder about Jackson's ceiling.

Right now he's a shotblocker/rebounder who scores on offense through spot up shooting, put backs and dump offs.

There are some instances where he's put the ball on the floor and attacked the basket for big dunks so he definitely has more potential but right now his straight line drives are bit mechanical and awkward. I also worry a bit about his shooting mechanics when he has to move to NBA 3pt range.

That said, I think he has a high floor as a defensive role player and spot up/stretch shooter. I just don't know how good he can be.

I still don't understand why Ayton has so many holes in his game but is considered to be the best prospect. JJJ should absolutely be considered at #2 he's crazy skilled on both sides of the court heck he could be the best player out of the class.
He was dominant offensively

I still don't understand why Ayton has so many holes in his game but is considered to be the best prospect. JJJ should absolutely be considered at #2 he's crazy skilled on both sides of the court heck he could be the best player out of the class.
Or he could be Tyrus Thomas 2.0. The boom or bust potential is exactly why we can't afford to consider him.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Some of it is because Ayton looks like he's barely scratched the surface of how good he could be and he still managed to put up a 20 and 11 season as a 19 year old. Jaren Jackson was special on the defensive end this season and he shot 40% from three but he's expending a lot of energy covering the whole floor and he was never the focus of double teams on the level that Ayton was which makes me wonder how much growth we can expect from him. Jackson has good size for an NBA center -- Ayton has cream of the crop size and athleticism. This may be folly, but there's a tendency to look at players who's only drawback is effort and/our court awareness and think that you can coach some of that into them. Jaren Jackson will probably never dominate a game the way Ayton is capable of offensively but he could be an elite defensive force in the NBA if he's willing to put in the work. And it will be work. You can be an elite defender in college on pure instinct and physical ability but in the NBA the good teams are going to spin you in circles if you're not watching tape and making adjustments game to game. Some players embrace that daily grind but it's not for every one.

I can understand wanting to have Jackson in the conversation for #2 -- he's third on my board and he projects as the bast all-around defender in the lottery in my opinion. My take on him is heavily dependent on how he sounds in interviews. A lot of the game tape looks great but I'm not going to pencil in anyone as a future elite defender unless I get a strong sense that they're obsessed with defense and willing to put in the long hours to hone their craft. Those types of guys are few and far between. It's much more likely that Jackson gets there than Ayton of course but Ayton is bringing different strengths to the table which skews the balance in his favor for me.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He has a range between 7-10, with 10 being the highest, imo. He really has great quickness and fluidity for a big man, and from what I can tell he takes the game seriously so he should improve a lot over his first few seasons. I'd be excited if Divac picked him, though it would take a lot of courage to do so because he is a project and you just never know with projects. This is where being #2 puts more pressure on Divac to "not lose the game" rather than "win the game." A GM at #5 or #6 would feel more secure about taking Jackson because the very big names like Ayton and Doncic are off the board at that point.

Last edited:
He's considered a low risk pick because his best skills should translate to the NBA and make him a bit of a "unicorn" when it comes to the big man position. The problem is that in the context of the draft, he's a high risk pick because he's not projected to be a #1 or #2 option. He's in this weird spot where he's very talented and has some elite skills but those skills won't lead a team by themselves.

It's kind of like, what's Gobert without Hayward/Mitchell or whats Whiteside without Dragic? They lose their value when they don't have others to put up points on the other end of the court. That's what makes JJJ's positioning in this draft kind of awkward because he truly is a unicorn type player but most of these teams high in the order need the skills of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Porter or Young to get things moving and then adding a piece like JJJ should come secondary.

Or he could be Tyrus Thomas 2.0. The boom or bust potential is exactly why we can't afford to consider him.
Same could be said about every lottery player. I'm just not sold at all on Ayton he makes me so nervous because his skill set seems so robotic. There's nothing "cute" about drafting JJJ he seems like the better player to me.

I watched the kid make a good number of great defensive plays that sold me on him towards the end of the season. As a Cats fan I was furious how they went out, but so much of that has to do with the defensive scheme (I think numbers are starting to back up that the pack-line won't hold in the tourney) and the fact that 3/5 guys on the court were completely useless defensively. I feel like he's an incomplete when it comes to evaluating his defense so far. He certainly has the tools to be elite.

I watched the kid make a good number of great defensive plays that sold me on him towards the end of the season. As a Cats fan I was furious how they went out, but so much of that has to do with the defensive scheme (I think numbers are starting to back up that the pack-line won't hold in the tourney) and the fact that 3/5 guys on the court were completely useless defensively. I feel like he's an incomplete when it comes to evaluating his defense so far. He certainly has the tools to be elite.
Fact is Arizona went out without a fight, not that it's thee deciding factor but it shouldn't be ignored either. Back to JJJ though I feel his fit here is excellent. I can already see him making a big defensive play and running the court with Fox to be rewarded with a splash from downtown.

Same could be said about every lottery player. I'm just not sold at all on Ayton he makes me so nervous because his skill set seems so robotic. There's nothing "cute" about drafting JJJ he seems like the better player to me.
In our current position at #2 we need to minimize as much risk as possible. Jaren Jackson is talented as hell and has high upside but there is no doubt he carries more risk. His 3 point shooting % is encouraging, but he was left open on the majority of them. He showed some good post moves, but was usually out of control whenever he tried to create for himself. Part of the reason for that is because he has horrible foot work. That led to a lot of turnovers on his end. He could definitely come in and contribute on the defensive end immediately, but for the most part, he is not ready to play in the NBA. I'd take him at 3 over Bagley, but not above Ayton and Doncic.

In our current position at #2 we need to minimize as much risk as possible. Jaren Jackson is talented as hell and has high upside but there is no doubt he carries more risk. His 3 point shooting % is encouraging, but he was left open on the majority of them. He showed some good post moves, but was usually out of control whenever he tried to create for himself. Part of the reason for that is because he has horrible foot work. That led to a lot of turnovers on his end. He could definitely come in and contribute on the defensive end immediately, but for the most part, he is not ready to play in the NBA. I'd take him at 3 over Bagley, but not above Ayton and Doncic.
Add the foul trouble issue and it paints him as even more raw. His ceiling appears to be awesome but I think he's going to take some time to get there.

I don't think that Jackson should be considered at #2.

He has way too many question marks on offense to be considered a sure thing at #2.

Now, if we traded back to #3 or #4 and got additional first round picks, this year or next, then I would consider him. I wouldn't trade down further than #4 for any reason though.

So, if we stay at #2, No Way would I take JJJ!

If we trade back to #3 or #4 and got additional assets, then sure, he is worth the risks.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
did you watch Ayton play throughout the season or just read reviews and watched prospect strengths & weaknesses videos?

did you watch Ayton play throughout the season or just read reviews and watched prospect strengths & weaknesses videos?
I watched his 1 tournament game and a few youtube clips. From what I've seen he doesn't jump out to me. A few slam dunks and rather robotic post moves. Would rather have JJJ or Bagley if we're going big.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I watched his 1 tournament game and a few youtube clips. From what I've seen he doesn't jump out to me. A few slam dunks and rather robotic post moves. Would rather have JJJ or Bagley if we're going big.
you want to mention the term robotic with Ayton when Jackson is as stiff as it gets for a big....no fluidity when I watch him

JJJ is not being ignored on this board, but he's not showing as well as Bagley. Suggest watching this interview with him at the Combine. He's clearly an intelligent kid. About the only knock on him is that he had limited minutes as a freshman due to being foul-prone. But he's got a high motor...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think you made an unintentional point in his favor when you mentioned his good 3pt %, and then qualified it by saying he was left open. Which means, you can't leave him open, which means you have to guard him, which means he can pull the other teams big man away from the basket, which means he helps spread the floor. Now in the future, if he can become creative from out at the perimeter, then you have a dangerous weapon. I happen to think he has a lot more to show us than what was revealed at Michigan St.

I’d take Jackson over porter every day of the week. He has 2 way potential with all nba defense.

I’d like to add he’ll be a better defender than Bamba
If he checks out medically I like Porter over JJJ.

I'm not huge on Bamba but I'm not sure JJJ will be the better defender. He has a higher block rate but that's also in part due to him trying to block everything. It's why his foul rate was so high and part of why he played more limited minutes.

JJJ looks like a stretch 4/5 if his shot translates (I'm only mildly concerned by his funky form and knuckleball shot because so far it goes in) but I worry because he looks very mechanical otherwise on offense. He also isn't an explosive athlete in the same way Bagley is. I think he's a relatively safe pick, but unlike Baja (and we usually agree) I don't see stardom from him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If he checks out medically I like Porter over JJJ.

I'm not huge on Bamba but I'm not sure JJJ will be the better defender. He has a higher block rate but that's also in part due to him trying to block everything. It's why his foul rate was so high and part of why he played more limited minutes.

JJJ looks like a stretch 4/5 if his shot translates (I'm only mildly concerned by his funky form and knuckleball shot because so far it goes in) but I worry because he looks very mechanical otherwise on offense. He also isn't an explosive athlete in the same way Bagley is. I think he's a relatively safe pick, but unlike Baja (and we usually agree) I don't see stardom from him.
Hey, I can loan you my rose colored glasses! :oops: I certainly wouldn't go so far as to predict stardom, but I think there are around 6 players that could potentially become stars. Maybe 7, and I include Jackson in that group. I doubt all will, but there's a lot of talent in this class. In Jackson's case, he was forced to play out of position all year because of Ward. I don't think he's as athletic as Bagley, but I do think he's a good athlete, and remember, he's one of the youngest players in this draft.

I'll say this, if God appears to me in a vision, and tells me that Porter will have no health problems (certainly an event worth noting) then I'd take him with the 2nd pick in the draft. I've watched a ton of film on him, and he's an extremely talented player. He has a great jumpshot with a high release, which makes it almost unblockable with his height. Contrary to what some might think, if you actually see him in game action, he's not a selfish player, and he's a decent passer. His handles are good enough for the position, but he does get himself into trouble at times by trying to do things his handles won't allow.

Some tid bits I heard about Doncic, and take them for what they are, 2nd and 3rd hand rumors. It's been noted by many that at times Doncic seems a little heavy footed, and I have to agree. I think earlier in the year he looked quicker to me. He's also reported to weigh around 225 or 230 pounds. I suspect that it's not all muscle. One of the rumors I heard was that he has poor eating habits. Probably like me, he likes pizza, beer and such. I've also heard that doesn't have the workout habits of an NBA player.

Now the upside to that, is that one has to assume that once in the NBA, he'll be put on a proper diet, and be subjected to the whims of an NBA trainer. Which to my mind means, that if he was able to accomplish all that he has while not being in the best shape of his life, then how good will he be when he is? Of course that's assuming that will happen. To be fair to him, the NBA is an entirely different world with higher requirements. Up to now, it's likely no one has asked him to do some of these things. It would be nice if they came up with a heart and desire tester.

Hey, I can loan you my rose colored glasses! :oops: I certainly wouldn't go so far as to predict stardom, but I think there are around 6 players that could potentially become stars. Maybe 7, and I include Jackson in that group. I doubt all will, but there's a lot of talent in this class. In Jackson's case, he was forced to play out of position all year because of Ward. I don't think he's as athletic as Bagley, but I do think he's a good athlete, and remember, he's one of the youngest players in this draft.

I'll say this, if God appears to me in a vision, and tells me that Porter will have no health problems (certainly an event worth noting) then I'd take him with the 2nd pick in the draft. I've watched a ton of film on him, and he's an extremely talented player. He has a great jumpshot with a high release, which makes it almost unblockable with his height. Contrary to what some might think, if you actually see him in game action, he's not a selfish player, and he's a decent passer. His handles are good enough for the position, but he does get himself into trouble at times by trying to do things his handles won't allow.

Some tid bits I heard about Doncic, and take them for what they are, 2nd and 3rd hand rumors. It's been noted by many that at times Doncic seems a little heavy footed, and I have to agree. I think earlier in the year he looked quicker to me. He's also reported to weigh around 225 or 230 pounds. I suspect that it's not all muscle. One of the rumors I heard was that he has poor eating habits. Probably like me, he likes pizza, beer and such. I've also heard that doesn't have the workout habits of an NBA player.

Now the upside to that, is that one has to assume that once in the NBA, he'll be put on a proper diet, and be subjected to the whims of an NBA trainer. Which to my mind means, that if he was able to accomplish all that he has while not being in the best shape of his life, then how good will he be when he is? Of course that's assuming that will happen. To be fair to him, the NBA is an entirely different world with higher requirements. Up to now, it's likely no one has asked him to do some of these things. It would be nice if they came up with a heart and desire tester.
I like Jaren Jackson Jr, I just see him as a high level complimentary player (like a bigger OKC version of Ibaka) as a rim protector and versatile defender who can score without having plays called for him. I am bullish on him being a valuable piece. I'm bearish on him becoming a star.

Honestly, I'm starting to view Porter (assuming he's healthy) and Bagley as the 2nd and 3rd best players in this draft, followed by Doncic.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
JJJ is not being ignored on this board, but he's not showing as well as Bagley. Suggest watching this interview with him at the Combine. He's clearly an intelligent kid. About the only knock on him is that he had limited minutes as a freshman due to being foul-prone. But he's got a high motor...
Love the interview. I especially liked when he said, "I don't like guards. I really don't." :) Very intelligent 18 year old. He said he's still growing, which is intriguing. I only wished they would have asked about his offense. His defense is a given as far as I am concerned. Can he be a very good offensive player eventually? That's the question for whether you take him #2 or not.

I really think were overlooking JJJ! He is an absolute stud. He really doesn't have any weakness in his game. Hes really well rounded and has Draymond type of heart at the 3. He floor will be All-Star. Ayton an Doncic are 1a 1b, JJJ shouldnt be discounted, hes not really a tier below those guys but his game is just not polished enough yet and his Draft hype team isnt as strong. Just check out a video on him and look through a positive lens, you guys will see what I'm looking at.

I really think were overlooking JJJ! He is an absolute stud. He really doesn't have any weakness in his game. Hes really well rounded and has Draymond type of heart at the 3. He floor will be All-Star. Ayton an Doncic are 1a 1b, JJJ shouldnt be discounted, hes not really a tier below those guys but his game is just not polished enough yet and his Draft hype team isnt as strong. Just check out a video on him and look through a positive lens, you guys will see what I'm looking at.
At the 3? Jackson is definitely a 4/5