It's official... Kawhi wants OUT

That's a terrifying proposition, and if it were to happen anywhere other than LA, I'd be intrigued. But if the Lakers manage to pull off a coup of that magnitude, I'm going to throw up...
Truth be told, that's their MO, babysitting some young potentials for a big trade/easy dump for signing big name free agents. It's bound to happen one way or another that they are going to try to be a big 2,3,4 superteam, especially with Magic at the helm.

I'd expect the Kings to at least make an interesting offer to Pop, they have plenty of assets to get a deal done. I don't want to spend the farm on him though, so Boston might seem like another good option for them to head in.
From what I have heard, it is all about his medicals. The medical staff of the Spurs cleared him to play. He still didn't feel right and got a 2nd opinion. Everything seemed to go downhill from there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
From what I have heard, it is all about his medicals. The medical staff of the Spurs cleared him to play. He still didn't feel right and got a 2nd opinion. Everything seemed to go downhill from there.
I honestly believe that he didn't want to come back at all, even if he was cleared to play but that's based on nothing and pure speculation on my behalf.

That's what puzzles me. Is Pop breaking down? Is the organization that has been so rock solid breaking down? To paraphrase Paul Harvey, I'd really like to know "the rest of the story."
My take on it is simply that basketball/legacy has never been all that important to Leonard compared to "family". Think there was an interview from some time ago where he mentioned the importance of that. And right now, his camp for whatever reason has decided that Leonard should go make more money elsewhere (maybe endorsements/jersey sales and so on?)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
the meat, would need a lot of salt and pepper:

Kings: #2 to Spurs
Knicks: Porzingis to Kings
Spurs: Leonard to Knicks
Why would the Knicks trade Porzingis for Leonard? Remember the rule on trade proposals. You have to state why this works for each team involved.

Why would the Knicks trade Porzingis for Leonard? Remember the rule on trade proposals. You have to state why this works for each team involved.
I don't know that they would, but the rationale would be that Kawhi is a far better player. And (presumably) coming off a less severe injury.

Rumor is Leonard told Popovich definitely wants out of San Antonio. Now with one year left on his contract what do the Spurs do? As I see it there are three options. 1) Keep him at least until trade deadline in February and then make best deal possible. Sounds nice except Kawhi might be poison in locker room to say nothing of abuse from "Don't mess with Texas" Spurs fans:eek: 2) Keep for entire 2018-19 season and then let him walk for nothing - which was always a possibility. 3) Get the best deal before Thursday NBA draft. And this quote saw on Yahoo sports...
"Word is the Suns have no interest in dealing the top pick for Leonard. The Kings, at No. 2, might be a little less hard-and-fast on the matter. The Los Angeles Clippers are reportedly interested in getting in the bidding, and “would be willing to create a package with forward Tobias Harris and the 12th or 13th pick in this year’s draft,” according to Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times, which would give the Spurs multiple first-rounders in Thursday’s draft."