Interesting Theory

VF21 said:
George Karl might be adequate - barely - but I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the whole Olympics performance last time around.

If the Kings get rid of Adelman, I would personally rather see them promote Elston Turner who would be in the vein of Adelman but with a little more leeway about rotations and a lot more defensive focus.
I was thinking the same thing.:eek: I dont know why I like ET, I just do. I wouldnt mind ruining one season to take a risk.:p

rings4Kings said:
Yeah, everyone knows about what happened in the past, but I just can't believe that sitting next Greg Popovich for all of these years hasn't taught Carlesimo anything. Besides after watching the Kings blow a 17 point halftime lead, at home against the Suns, while the coach was hard pressed to show any emotion, maybe a "complete *******" wouldn't be such a bad idea. A guy with some fire in his belly my prevent the flat starts to seemingly every 3rd quarter. I like RA, I like what he has done for this team and if he's not going to be here, I think we need to go after a coach that is going to put an emphasis on defense. And besides, it's not like George Karl didn't pack his share of controversy on his way to Denver.
whoa. and here i thought you were kinda joking with your first post. aside from the deja vu factor, which would be too damn weird, Carlesimo couldn't coach bees to make honey.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
I'm going to disagree just a little, Brickie, about Elston. I think he does more than is generally acknowledged. And, out of curiosity, what would make him an impact assistant?
An impact assistant coach has a tendency to put his own stamp on a team regardless of the head coach. He's nto a yes man, he's more like a co-head coach/partner. That's not ET. ET is a guy who is the defensive assistant coach for a head coach who may get released for lack of defensive focus. And we were a disaster defensively before Artest arrived. Its just a non-impact quiet in the shadows resume that doesn't have head coach written on it anywhere. You KNEW Avery was goign to be a head coach, Don Casey, Rick Carlisle. They were clearly leaders/coleaders of their teams as assistants. ET? He's just a back in the shadows guy. You never know, but he certainly doesn't look the part.

M

MrBiggs

Bricklayer said:
An impact assistant coach has a tendency to put his own stamp on a team regardless of the head coach. He's nto a yes man, he's more like a co-head coach/partner. That's not ET. ET is a guy who is the defensive assistant coach for a head coach who may get released for lack of defensive focus. And we were a disaster defensively before Artest arrived. Its just a non-impact quiet in the shadows resume that doesn't have head coach written on it anywhere. You KNEW Avery was goign to be a head coach, Don Casey, Rick Carlisle. They were clearly leaders/coleaders of their teams as assistants. ET? He's just a back in the shadows guy. You never know, but he certainly doesn't look the part.
It's like, people think that he could be a head coach just because he does those halftime segments with Koz.

I'll say this for Elston, he was the only coach in the Vegas Summer League who was actually coaching. Of course, it was mostly directed towards Garcia and Martin, but that is to be expected. Consequently, the Kings were also the only team really running any sets and using the summer to learn the offense.

Bricklayer said:

Whatabout Laurence Frank? Wasn't he an assistant?

PixelPusher said:
Elston Turner may be untried, but I'd take a chance on him over any of the overated re-treads that have been bandied about: George Karl...Don Nelson...P.J. Carchokio...
So would I, give him next year to step up and see how he does. If we take care of business in the offseason and get the shot blocker/rebounder we need and some good PG off the bench like BJ was for us, I think we are good. It sure is nice to have the coach SA has with getting those last second wins and calling those awesome plays. I think if RA goes, ET should step up and at least be interim coach for us until we can take our time and find a permanent coach if he chokes. Picking a good quality coach takes time and I think ET has a good handle on the team. I like his court side interviews.

Bricklayer said:
I know he doesn't look the part and you are right, we sucked at defense before Artest and didn't have a clue, but at least give him the title interim coach and see how he does until we find the stud coach we need to go all the way with hopefully taking care of business in the offseason to improve our roster.