Ime Udoka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was waived by Portland today, and apparently we have interest in him. What do you guys think?

RealGM

RealGM said:
Udoka is hoping to catch on with another team and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, has been talking with Oklahoma City, Denver, Sacramento and Utah.
Personally, I like Udoka. He's a good defender and a decent shooter, but I don't want yet another person ahead of Donte in the rotation. I really hope Donte gets some serious minutes this season.

I bet he ends up in Denver. Seems like a good Kleiza replacement

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He was waived by Portland today, and apparently we have interest in him. What do you guys think?

Personally, I like Udoka. He's a good defender and a decent shooter, but I don't want yet another person ahead of Donte in the rotation.
I can only guess that if we were to pick up Udoka that we'd probably let Mason go.

It's strange - I'd hardly have guessed it, but Udoka is two months OLDER than Mason. But he has turned himself into a fantastic defender over the past two years - better in Defensive Win Shares than Mason has ever been.

If we hadn't already brought Mason in it would be a sensible move, but somehow I don't see us dropping the devil we do know for the devil we don't unless we honestly do feel Mason is too injured to play regularly.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can only guess that if we were to pick up Udoka that we'd probably let Mason go.

It's strange - I'd hardly have guessed it, but Udoka is two months OLDER than Mason. But he has turned himself into a fantastic defender over the past two years - better in Defensive Win Shares than Mason has ever been.

If we hadn't already brought Mason in it would be a sensible move, but somehow I don't see us dropping the devil we do know for the devil we don't unless we honestly do feel Mason is too injured to play regularly.
Yeah, you beat me to it. He's a great defender, and to be honest, a much better shooter than Mason. But I agree, I doubt we'd drop Mason for Udoka at this point..

Stated eons ago:

Past the age of players we should covet, and I just don't think he's that good. The Spurs tried him as an experiment to be their next Bruce Bowen (codeword: shoot corner threes and play defense well), but you saw how that went; now the Spurs have lost Bowen and show absolutely no interest in resigning Udoka.

Part of the problem is that his shooting ability from everywhere tanked after a good shooting year at Portland, and considering that he's a low usage player with pedestrian passing ability and athleticism he needs to shoot well to succeed. Offensively he's largely a three pt shooter and will rarely ever attack the basket, and can rebound and play decent contain defense with his strength and doggedness. But he needs to get that three pt percentage up to snuff because his D's not at that level where it can make up for his offensive shortcomings--but based on his experience and his past success some playoff team should take a flyer on him as a potential defensive guy off the bench. Just not us.
Same logic applies today.

what does everyone think ? Defence seems to be the push here. Few options now to swap onto opposition wings with mason, udoke, cisco (when fit), noc

Mason isn't working out as well as anticipated. This is a good move to bring in a good defensive wing on the team.

Udoka should start. Casspi comes of the bench. And Nocioni alternates between the 3 and 4.

Mason makes like what? The league minimum? He's expandable or keep as a practice player to go against Donte Greene.

Well looky here :p.

Mason needs to go now. Udoka fits better into the starting lineup anyway

I'm closing this in favor of the very active discussion in the main forum...VF21

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.