How about Free Agent Ime Udoka?

I was looking over the free agent list and was thinking:

If the Kings sign Brockman and play Casspi, Noc, and Greene at a 3-4 position, maybe a good quaility pickup for the Kings would be Ime Udoka who plays the 2-3; he's tough, a solid defender, and a good character guy. The Kings could use more support behind Martin and Garcia (plus Garcia plays a lot of 3) at the 2, hopefully Evans will be playing mainly the 1... thoughts?

Here's an article on him:
http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2009/07/ime_udoka_looks_for_the_right.html

From the article:
"He's a terrific defender and he brings great toughness to a team. His character is a huge piece of who he is. He's a guy you can play 30 minutes a night and he'll help you win big games like he did with San Antonio," Bartelstein said. "He can play a more limited role, and he's still gonna be a terrific teammate. There are a lot of things he can bring to a team."

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's probably a safe bet that Evans will play some minutes at the 2. Which means we've already got 6 players covering the 2/3 (Martin, Garcia, Nocioni, Greene, Casspi, Evans). Maybe Nocioni, maybe Greene slide down for a few minutes at the 4, but really the last thing we need is to bring in another 2/3 at the back of the bench.

I think I'd rather sign a 7-foot stiff in case of injury than sign Udoka, and if I were Udoka I'd look at the Kings' roster and say no thanks. It's not a great fit.

It's probably a safe bet that Evans will play some minutes at the 2. Which means we've already got 6 players covering the 2/3 (Martin, Garcia, Nocioni, Greene, Casspi, Evans). Maybe Nocioni, maybe Greene slide down for a few minutes at the 4, but really the last thing we need is to bring in another 2/3 at the back of the bench.

I think I'd rather sign a 7-foot stiff in case of injury than sign Udoka, and if I were Udoka I'd look at the Kings' roster and say no thanks. It's not a great fit.
Yeah. We have enough of wingers but we can definitely use another big man

I totally understand the desire to get a big man, but whom? All of the Free Agent bigs out there are pretty crummy. I would hope the Kings would make a trade to land a big reserve center so they can acquire someone interesting...

maybe trade Thomas and Greene to NYK for Eddy Curry + pick?

Or some form of trade to pick up Dalembert?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I totally understand the desire to get a big man, but whom? All of the Free Agent bigs out there are pretty crummy. I would hope the Kings would make a trade to land a big reserve center so they can acquire someone interesting...

maybe trade Thomas and Greene to NYK for Eddy Curry + pick?

Or some form of trade to pick up Dalembert?

I'm not a big fan of Eddy Curry. But I know you just threw his out there as an example. We have two choices. Either we sign a young center like Ryan Hollins who has some potential upside, or we make a trade for a young center with some potential upside. I'm not against bringing in a more experienced center, but only for one year as a stop gap measure. I still think that Utah is looking for salary relief, and they have two young centers on their roster. I would be all for going after one of them, preferable Fesenko, because he's at least had some experience in the league. But I'd even take Koufos, based just on his upside.

Last edited:
I think Samuel Dalembert is a good idea. He's only 27, 28 years old and he fits our newly adopted "get tougher" theme. Only thing is, what can we give the 76ers besides giving up our kids? Noc matches salary wise but I don't think they'd want him. Maybe Udrih? They already have Louis Williams and Jrue Holiday. Maybe slide Jrue to the 2? Since it seems the 2 guard backup is the weakest for them with only Willie Green.

Past the age of players we should covet, and I just don't think he's that good. The Spurs tried him as an experiment to be their next Bruce Bowen (codeword: shoot corner threes and play defense well), but you saw how that went; now the Spurs have lost Bowen and show absolutely no interest in resigning Udoka.

Part of the problem is that his shooting ability from everywhere tanked after a good shooting year at Portland, and considering that he's a low usage player with pedestrian passing ability and athleticism he needs to shoot well to succeed. Offensively he's largely a three pt shooter and will rarely ever attack the basket, and can rebound and play decent contain defense with his strength and doggedness. But he needs to get that three pt percentage up to snuff because his D's not at that level where it can make up for his offensive shortcomings--but based on his experience and his past success some playoff team should take a flyer on him as a potential defensive guy off the bench. Just not us.

Past the age of players we should covet, and I just don't think he's that good. The Spurs tried him as an experiment to be their next Bruce Bowen (codeword: shoot corner threes and play defense well), but you saw how that went; now the Spurs have lost Bowen and show absolutely no interest in resigning Udoka.

Part of the problem is that his shooting ability from everywhere tanked after a good shooting year at Portland, and considering that he's a low usage player with pedestrian passing ability and athleticism he needs to shoot well to succeed. Offensively he's largely a three pt shooter and will rarely ever attack the basket, and can rebound and play decent contain defense with his strength and doggedness. But he needs to get that three pt percentage up to snuff because his D's not at that level where it can make up for his offensive shortcomings--but based on his experience and his past success some playoff team should take a flyer on him as a potential defensive guy off the bench. Just not us.
Now that is the kind of response I was seeking. Thanks.

So, to sum up Ime:

Character: Good guy
Defense: Pretty Good
Shooting: Perimeter shooter who shoots poorly from the perimeter:p
Creates own shots: No
Passing: Not great
Rebounding: Okay
Prospect: Defensive reserve role player at best

Now that is the kind of response I was seeking. Thanks.

So, to sum up Ime:

Character: Good guy
Defense: Pretty Good
Shooting: Perimeter shooter who shoots poorly from the perimeter:p
Creates own shots: No
Passing: Not great
Rebounding: Okay
Prospect: Defensive reserve role player at best

So in other words, someone we should have 0 interest in signing for this team...

I wouldn't be adding any more players to the 1, 2 and 3 positions. We have a load of options there and versatility. Martin, Garcia and Evans can all play the 2.

We can't play Evans at 1 all the time. There will be times when we have Evans at 2 and Beno or Sergio at the PG.

What we really need is a true back up C.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wouldn't be adding any more players to the 1, 2 and 3 positions. We have a load of options there and versatility. Martin, Garcia and Evans can all play the 2.

We can't play Evans at 1 all the time. There will be times when we have Evans at 2 and Beno or Sergio at the PG.

What we really need is a true back up C.
Yep.

K

Kingsguy881

That's great, but who? The FA class of centers is plain icky at this point.
There are always undrafted rookie free agents and d-league potentials. I guarantee Petrie will have a couple new faces in line for training camp. I understand TDOS but we seriously have to be patient. Some of these threads can be like nails on a chalkboard.

The best response to this thread.