If the Draft Were Today...

I am definitely warming up to Saddiq Bey. We are picking 12th. Most Villanova players are at least role players. Hes only a sophomore and has upside. Nesmith seems like he can help spread the floor but Bey can and he defends and seems like the better all around player. I also think it's wise to think about Kira Lewis. When the Kings were playing well what was part of their success predicated on? They ran teams out of the gym. Draymond Green called the Kings "the fastest team in history." He was "so tired" and had to "rest for days" because they "wore him out." Now imagine Fox running at you at tip off and Lewis checks in for him. The pace doesnt change. Lewis is also a good rebounder for a guard and plays passing lanes well. Basically he has the potential to play quite similar to De'Aaron. He can play along side him too as he's 6"3. Imagine 48 minutes of a speed coming at you or two of fhe fastest players coming at you simultaneously. There is some upside to that especially given the comments from Green and the Kings success playing fast. It could certainly be an advantage. Every defender believes slowing Fox down is challenging but now they get a break when Joseph or Ferrell check in. Ferrell isn't slow but, imagine having 48 minutes of speed coming at you all game long. Although Lewis is mocked 14 or lower in most mock drafts, taking him at 12 isn't that much of a reach and that speed advantage is worth exploring. No break for the defense. That certainly has to be an option under consideration. If it isn't it certainly should be considered.

Vecenie has RJ Hampton at #12 to the Kings. I approve. Reason here: "For the Kings particularly, Buddy Hield seems to be on his way out via trade if his behavior on social media is any indication, and Bogdan Bogdanovic is a restricted free agent this summer that the team will need to make a decision on paying real dollars to under a new regime led by Monte McNair. McNair comes from the Daryl Morey tree much like Gersson Rosas, and the Morey tree tends to go upside hunting in the draft, feeling like they can find role players much more easily than stars. It wouldn’t be surprising to see McNair take a similar approach, but any option would seem to be up in the air."

See full here: https://theathletic.com/2128239/202...n-at-no-1-in-2020-nba-mock-draft-version-8-0/

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Vecenie has RJ Hampton at #12 to the Kings. I approve. Reason here: "...McNair comes from the Daryl Morey tree ... and the Morey tree tends to go upside hunting in the draft, feeling like they can find role players much more easily than stars."
This sort of thinking is actually pretty comforting to me. I know that #12 isn't exactly prime pickings, but a lot of players who seem to be under consideration there look like high-floor role players to me. If the goal of the draft is nab a player who is certain to play 5000+ minutes in the NBA, then by all means we should go after a guy like Bey or Nesmith or Vassell or Okoro depending on who is available. But it's not necessarily all that hard to find players like that in free agency or on the trade market. We nabbed Bazemore last year for practically nothing, and plenty of opportunities like that exist. On the other hand, the possibility of attracting a star to Sacramento in free agency, or prying one away in a trade, seems pretty remote - and this team needs more major talent, not just solid role players. I want to roll the dice in this draft, and Hampton is one of my roll-the-dice candidates.

This sort of thinking is actually pretty comforting to me. I know that #12 isn't exactly prime pickings, but a lot of players who seem to be under consideration there look like high-floor role players to me. If the goal of the draft is nab a player who is certain to play 5000+ minutes in the NBA, then by all means we should go after a guy like Bey or Nesmith or Vassell or Okoro depending on who is available. But it's not necessarily all that hard to find players like that in free agency or on the trade market. We nabbed Bazemore last year for practically nothing, and plenty of opportunities like that exist. On the other hand, the possibility of attracting a star to Sacramento in free agency, or prying one away in a trade, seems pretty remote - and this team needs more major talent, not just solid role players. I want to roll the dice in this draft, and Hampton is one of my roll-the-dice candidates.
I can appreciate what your both saying. I hadn’t initially given Hampton much thought but have followed him more closely of late, he interviews very well and confident. I’m not convinced he’s another Dante Exum. He could be that steal we need and has legit size playing along side Fox or heading up the second unit. I’m looking very forward to this draft and getting an idea how McNair operates.

Last edited:
Vecenie has RJ Hampton at #12 to the Kings. I approve. Reason here: "For the Kings particularly, Buddy Hield seems to be on his way out via trade if his behavior on social media is any indication, and Bogdan Bogdanovic is a restricted free agent this summer that the team will need to make a decision on paying real dollars to under a new regime led by Monte McNair. McNair comes from the Daryl Morey tree much like Gersson Rosas, and the Morey tree tends to go upside hunting in the draft, feeling like they can find role players much more easily than stars. It wouldn’t be surprising to see McNair take a similar approach, but any option would seem to be up in the air."

See full here: https://theathletic.com/2128239/202...n-at-no-1-in-2020-nba-mock-draft-version-8-0/
I like the approach to the draft, but not the player. Hampton must have the same agent as Mo Bamba or something cause he puts out a few Instagram videos and draft gurus are tripping all over themselves to rocket him up the board.

I think Poku, Lewis, Terry and Achiuwa are better home run swings than Hampton.

I like the approach to the draft, but not the player. Hampton must have the same agent as Mo Bamba or something cause he puts out a few Instagram videos and draft gurus are tripping all over themselves to rocket him up the board.

Maybe. IMO the best part of being a Kings fan is the draft process, since not much else to get excited about. Hopefully we have some competence in place now because that last guy sucked at it.

In terms of upside, for me, it's Poku, Hampton, Lewis, then Achiuwa.

Terry isn't in the high upside category for me. I see Terry as a high floor, low ceiling player. Has a nice, compact shot, but his lack of penetration scares me. Reminds me of Kyle Guy. Also, Vecine has Terry going in the second round at #31.

Achiuwa has shades of Siakam. Lewis is a poor man's Fox. Hampton moves like Lavine. Poku moves like a SF in a 7'1. At 12, would be okay with any of them. But if I could pick, it would be Hampton or Poku. Assuming other players are not on the board.

Kevin O’Connor also has Hampton to the Kings in his new mock today: https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

In terms of upside, for me, it's Poku, Hampton, Lewis, then Achiuwa.

Terry isn't in the high upside category for me. I see Terry as a high floor, low ceiling player. Has a nice, compact shot, but his lack of penetration scares me. Reminds me of Kyle Guy. Also, Vecine has Terry going in the second round at #31.

Achiuwa has shades of Siakam. Lewis is a poor man's Fox. Hampton moves like Lavine. Poku moves like a SF in a 7'1. At 12, would be okay with any of them. But if I could pick, it would be Hampton or Poku. Assuming other players are not on the board.
I’m surprised you don’t have Patrick Williams on your high upside list. He would be my target for upside though virtually every pundit has the Spurs taking him at 11.

I’m surprised you don’t have Patrick Williams on your high upside list. He would be my target for upside though virtually every pundit has the Spurs taking him at 11.
Yea, I forgot about him. Has the body and hustle. Like him more than Vassell, who I omitted as well. In terms of folks, who I didn't name, but may drop and be there: Halliburton > Okoro > Williams > Vassell. In terms of comps for them, I see: Doug Christie (skinny; less defense; better shooting) > Ron Artest (without the offensive game...yet?) > Poor man's Kawai (the SD version) > Mikal Bridges (7 year pro).

If the draft were today I'd be hoping to hear something like this:

TRADE:
The Kings trade Buddy Hield and Harrison Barnes to the Sixers
The Sixers trade Matisse Thybulle and Josh Richardson to the Kings and Al Horford to the Hornets
The Hornets trade Terry Rozier and Cody Zeller to the Kings (Kings can waive Zeller)

At #12 it really depends on who is on the board but I'm also feeling like the Kings need to swing for the fences. As much as I love Fox, he can't carry a team on his own and who knows if Bagley will be more than a good big, assuming he even stays healthy.

At #12 I like Patrick Williams. And then Pokusevski. I'm not nearly as sold on Hampton but I can see how he might be in that category.

In the 2nd round I have no idea who would be on the board when the Kings pick but let's go with Paul Reed at #35, Jordan Nwora at #43 and Abdoulaye N’Doye at #52 who can likely be stashed for a year.

PG Fox/Rozier/Joseph
SG Bogdanovic/Richardson/James
SF Thybulle/Nwora/?
PF Bjelica/Williams or Pokusevski/Reed
C Bagley/Holmes

Kevin O’Connor also has Hampton to the Kings in his new mock today: https://nbadraft.theringer.com/
Ha, speaking of guys who got bamboozled by the Bamba insta videos. KOC doubling down on this year’s insta star. KOC listens way too much to these private coaches during the draft run up. Which is weird, cause he’s pretty good at scouting guard and swing game film. He’s horrible on bigs, absolutely no clue, but I took a second look at Terry and Hayes based on KOC.

pokuševski needs one more season in europe, at least. athletic PF's will "eat" him if he joins NBA this off-season.
Assume you've seen him. Simply too skinny? What's your view of him? Who do you liken him to in terms of his game? Kukoc, Peja, Luka, Hedo...

Speaking of Toni Kukoc, Peja, and Hedo, for everyone, if they were coming out today, where do you think they would go?

I can’t get beyond how thin Poku looks, I know thats shallow but visions of Shaun Bradley run through my head.
A lot of mixed opinions on Hampton but I certainly hope our FO looks him over good. If he is what’s advertised then he’s exactly the type of player that I believe this franchise needs.

Assume you've seen him. Simply too skinny? What's your view of him? Who do you liken him to in terms of his game? Kukoc, Peja, Luka, Hedo...

Speaking of Toni Kukoc, Peja, and Hedo, for everyone, if they were coming out today, where do you think they would go?
no, never saw him live, never watched his game, live. only those scouting clips, and yes, he's pretty skinny.
didn't paid attention to how old those clips are, or how old footage is, but I know tall kids from my area... they usually need years and years to gain weight, muscle or fat.
i suppose he would not dare to enter the lane in NBA, but constantly hanging on the perimeter, if he joins next season.

in a previous season, he played second greek league, no television will broadcast such league, not even greek channels. so I cannot make any kind of comparison. most of the scouts compare him with toni kukoč, but this guy is 7 cm taller (2.75 inches), and i'm not sure if can drive with the ball as toni did. hedo, no, definitely not, was smaller than toni, and stronger as a youngster. i don't see hedo's motor here.
peja, huh, idk. better footwork definitely.

but this is just an eye test, based on a... YT clips

In my opinion Deni Avdija has an uphill battle to be as good as Hedo and he's slated to go in the top 6 if this draft.

Peja and Kukoc would be a stretch 4 and and playmaking 4 in today's NBA, both of which are very in demand archetypes.

no, never saw him live, never watched his game, live. only those scouting clips, and yes, he's pretty skinny.
didn't paid attention to how old those clips are, or how old footage is, but I know tall kids from my area... they usually need years and years to gain weight, muscle or fat.
i suppose he would not dare to enter the lane in NBA, but constantly hanging on the perimeter, if he joins next season.

in a previous season, he played second greek league, no television will broadcast such league, not even greek channels. so I cannot make any kind of comparison. most of the scouts compare him with toni kukoč, but this guy is 7 cm taller (2.75 inches), and i'm not sure if can drive with the ball as toni did. hedo, no, definitely not, was smaller than toni, and stronger as a youngster. i don't see hedo's motor here.
peja, huh, idk. better footwork definitely.

but this is just an eye test, based on a... YT clips
Yea, I see a lot of Kukoc in his game. A much skinnier version, of course.

In my opinion Deni Avdija has an uphill battle to be as good as Hedo and he's slated to go in the top 6 if this draft.

Peja and Kukoc would be a stretch 4 and and playmaking 4 in today's NBA, both of which are very in demand archetypes.
I think all three would easily be top 3 picks in this draft. Hedo was more of a point forward in the mode of Ben Simmons while Kukoc was more of a Lamar Odom type of pointfoward. Peja, on the other hand, would play a lot like Klay on offense today. Plus being 6'9, he could swing between the 3 and 4.

I haven't been as engaged with the Kings/NBA, mainly due to the pandemic, but I've spent the past week or two researching the draft in the hopes that it would pique my interest once more. I do enjoy the draft process, it fascinates me as a European, however this class seems pretty uninspiring. My overwhelming preference would be to trade out of this years draft, ideally for future draft assets.

If we were to draft based on my very slapdash research this is my current 'big board':

1) James Wiseman
2) Killian Hayes
3) Onyeke Okongwu
4) Obi Toppin
5) Deni Avdija
6) Lamelo Ball
7) Tyrese Haliburton
8) Anthony Edwards
9) Devin Vassell
10) Aaron Nesmith
11) Saddiq Bey
12) Isaac Okoro
13) Kira Lewis jr
14) Cole Anthony
15) Alexej Pokusevski

I'll be interested to follow this thread to see how my views compare to the consensus.

I haven't been as engaged with the Kings/NBA, mainly due to the pandemic, but I've spent the past week or two researching the draft in the hopes that it would pique my interest once more. I do enjoy the draft process, it fascinates me as a European, however this class seems pretty uninspiring. My overwhelming preference would be to trade out of this years draft, ideally for future draft assets.

If we were to draft based on my very slapdash research this is my current 'big board':

1) James Wiseman
2) Killian Hayes
3) Onyeke Okongwu
4) Obi Toppin
5) Deni Avdija
6) Lamelo Ball
7) Tyrese Haliburton
8) Anthony Edwards
9) Devin Vassell
10) Aaron Nesmith
11) Saddiq Bey
12) Isaac Okoro
13) Kira Lewis jr
14) Cole Anthony
15) Alexej Pokusevski

I'll be interested to follow this thread to see how my views compare to the consensus.
What do you see in Wiseman that you’d put him atop all those other prospects?

What do you see in Wiseman that you’d put him atop all those other prospects?
Mainly the physical tools. 7"1 athletic and long big. Seems like he has the ability to be that anchor for a defence. Even in todays league where there is a lot less emphasis on traditional big men, it seems to me that he should at least be able to carve out a role for himself. Add to that the potential to develop his offensive game, (he shows some touch in the post and with the jump shot) and you've got a fairly decent player on your hands.

I think the fact that I have Wiseman top is indicative of how underwhelmed I am by this draft class. I'd say i'm not usually one to gamble on the 'athletic big' type, but I figure may as well swing for the fences this year and Wiseman seems to me to be the only one who has the potential to make it worth it.

I know that this is considered a weak draft but there are some definite high risk high reward players. I am excited to see what this front office does in this year's draft. I personally would rather that they swing for the fences than play it safe. For sure, they should draft best player available
My vote would be
1. Tyrese Haliburton
2. Tyrese Maxey
3.Alexej Pokusevski
4. Jaden McDaniels

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Typing with one hand so this will be short. As most of you know, I watch a lot of basketball, and my projections are based on what I've seen. My viewings of Hampton were limited, but based on what I did see, he was terrible. I won't say what I saw defines him, but it certainly gives me pause. I place zero value on a training video, especially on a player that's trying to do damage control. There are several players I would be willing to take a flyer on, and Hampton isn't one of them. For his sake I hope he proves me wrong.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
If the draft were today I'd be hoping to hear something like this:

TRADE:
The Kings trade Buddy Hield and Harrison Barnes to the Sixers
The Sixers trade Matisse Thybulle and Josh Richardson to the Kings and Al Horford to the Hornets
The Hornets trade Terry Rozier and Cody Zeller to the Kings (Kings can waive Zeller)

At #12 it really depends on who is on the board but I'm also feeling like the Kings need to swing for the fences. As much as I love Fox, he can't carry a team on his own and who knows if Bagley will be more than a good big, assuming he even stays healthy.

At #12 I like Patrick Williams. And then Pokusevski. I'm not nearly as sold on Hampton but I can see how he might be in that category.

In the 2nd round I have no idea who would be on the board when the Kings pick but let's go with Paul Reed at #35, Jordan Nwora at #43 and Abdoulaye N’Doye at #52 who can likely be stashed for a year.

PG Fox/Rozier/Joseph
SG Bogdanovic/Richardson/James
SF Thybulle/Nwora/?
PF Bjelica/Williams or Pokusevski/Reed
C Bagley/Holmes
I like all of this. I'd prefer we try to find a wing in the draft instead of another guard or big man, though that really depends on who is available. I haven't done an exhaustive analysis or anything but both of those guys (Williams and Pokusevski) jump off the screen to me when I watch their game tape and they can play either forward position which is where we need help the most. I do think trading Buddy is probably a mistake but if we want to retain Bogdanovic we're probably going to have to choose so we don't cap ourselves out with a mediocre team. I'm also not looking forward to another year of Buddy sulking and that seems inevitable with Walton still on the sideline.

The only slight quibble I have is that I don't think there's much value here in adding all three second round picks (or even two of them) to the roster. We've tried the scattershot approach before and we'll most likely just end up cutting them in a couple years anyway. I'd prefer that we package those picks and offer cash considerations to move up to the top of the second round or the bottom of the first to target one player who we like who will be a part of the rotation, but that also requires a cooperative trade partner.

Last edited:
Typing with one hand so this will be short. As most of you know, I watch a lot of basketball, and my projections are based on what I've seen. My viewings of Hampton were limited, but based on what I did see, he was terrible. I won't say what I saw defines him, but it certainly gives me pause. I place zero value on a training video, especially on a player that's trying to do damage control. There are several players I would be willing to take a flyer on, and Hampton isn't one of them. For his sake I hope he proves me wrong.
one other thing to consider. The Vanja kid from Serbia has started well in Europe.

bummer:(. You know way more about college hoops than me, but that guy seemed to check a lot of boxes and was liking what I was seeing with him working with mike Miller on his jumper. I’m sure you’ve said this before, but who are you liking for where the Kong’s pick?
Hope the hand feels better

bummer:(. You know way more about college hoops than me, but that guy seemed to check a lot of boxes and was liking what I was seeing with him working with mike Miller on his jumper. I’m sure you’ve said this before, but who are you liking for where the Kong’s pick?
Hope the hand feels better
just FYI. That guy didn’t play college hoops.