If the Draft Were Today...

The players that intrigue me are Jalen Smith, Cole Anthony and Vernon Carey. Theo Maledon might be worth trading up from the second round. Here's another, Saddiq Bey. There are a lot of players in the middle of this draft I like. Just my two cents after watching youtube for a bit.

Last edited:
Looking at RJ Hampton's reconstructed jumper, I feel like he should be in play at 12 now. Apparently, he has been working with former NBA sharp shooter Mike Miller. If he shoots it like this, you are looking at a Zac Lavine type player.

Zach Lavine stop it man when we people stop falling for prospect vs chair workout videos. Dudes pure garbage look at the tape I can go get a division 3 basketball player put him through the same drills and have him look like a future all star too

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Zach Lavine stop it man when we people stop falling for prospect vs chair workout videos. Dudes pure garbage look at the tape I can go get a division 3 basketball player put him through the same drills and have him look like a future all star too
One of the major criticisms about RJ Hampton coming in to the draft is that his shot is no good. While I'm not so high on his lower body form during his shots off the dribble, when a guy goes 24-28 on catch-and-shoot threes, that goes a long way towards dispelling "can't shoot".

Also, it's one thing to see a player look good in a workout tape and say "that doesn't mean anything". It's another thing to see a player look good in a workout tape and say "Dudes pure garbage look at the tape". I looked at the tape. There's nothing in that tape that says "pure garbage".

bajaden

Hall of Famer
R J Hampton is the mystery man in this draft. He was underwhelming in his play in Australia, and I have to go on that, more than I do a workout tape. He made a huge mistake not going to college. He was projected as a top five pick prior to this last college season. He dominated in highschool. I like many others looked forward to seeing him play this last season, and then he opted out to go play with the big boys. He did have a exhibition game against the Memphis Grizzlies and Ja Morant where he went 1 for 8 from the floor.

To be honest, I have no idea how good or bad a player he'll be, but I keep having visions of another mystery player that came out of that league named Dante Exum. Hampton may end up being a star down the road, but in no way am I willing to take a gamble on a player that scares me to death when I can pick a more proven player with a solid track record.

One of the major criticisms about RJ Hampton coming in to the draft is that his shot is no good. While I'm not so high on his lower body form during his shots off the dribble, when a guy goes 24-28 on catch-and-shoot threes, that goes a long way towards dispelling "can't shoot".

Also, it's one thing to see a player look good in a workout tape and say "that doesn't mean anything". It's another thing to see a player look good in a workout tape and say "Dudes pure garbage look at the tape". I looked at the tape. There's nothing in that tape that says "pure garbage".
His tape isn’t gonna I’m gonna go with that not a workout video. Maybe he went 14-28 on 3’s before he went 24-28 on the posted on either way if I’m a GM I’m not using workouts to move the needle on prospects

R J Hampton is the mystery man in this draft. He was underwhelming in his play in Australia, and I have to go on that, more than I do a workout tape. He made a huge mistake not going to college. He was projected as a top five pick prior to this last college season. He dominated in highschool. I like many others looked forward to seeing him play this last season, and then he opted out to go play with the big boys. He did have a exhibition game against the Memphis Grizzlies and Ja Morant where he went 1 for 8 from the floor.

To be honest, I have no idea how good or bad a player he'll be, but I keep having visions of another mystery player that came out of that league named Dante Exum. Hampton may end up being a star down the road, but in no way am I willing to take a gamble on a player that scares me to death when I can pick a more proven player with a solid track record.
If you had to call your shot today who do you got? I would pick Bey.

Just reading Kyle Boones CBS sports updated draft board. Hes got Williams, Lewis, Maxey, and Pokusevski all in the top 12 pushing Vassell, Okoro, Bey and Achiuwa down to 14 -17.
Heck if I know, but if this happens only problem I’d have is who to pick between Vassell and Okoro.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Heck if I know, but if this happens only problem I’d have is who to pick between Vassell and Okoro.
Well, by the numbers I'd say this: Okoro looks like a slightly better shooting MKG, but much worse at rebounding. Vassell looks like a slightly better shooting Christie, but much worse at assists and getting to the FT line.

The eye test tells me Okoro is better. Those numbers suggest that Vassell may have a bigger impact in the NBA. A decent amount of Christie's value in the NBA was tied up in his passing, so it's hard to see Vassell reaching his value. But MKG has had questionable value in the NBA at best - and I'm not sure that Okoro has shown me anything to prove he'll be better. I mean, I was drooling over MKG in the draft, too, but it seems it takes a bit more than athleticism and a nose for defense to make a real mark in the league.

Well, by the numbers I'd say this: Okoro looks like a slightly better shooting MKG, but much worse at rebounding. Vassell looks like a slightly better shooting Christie, but much worse at assists and getting to the FT line.

The eye test tells me Okoro is better. Those numbers suggest that Vassell may have a bigger impact in the NBA. A decent amount of Christie's value in the NBA was tied up in his passing, so it's hard to see Vassell reaching his value. But MKG has had questionable value in the NBA at best - and I'm not sure that Okoro has shown me anything to prove he'll be better. I mean, I was drooling over MKG in the draft, too, but it seems it takes a bit more than athleticism and a nose for defense to make a real mark in the league.
Just in terms of his build and how he moves around the court, Okoro reminds me a bit of Artest.

Just reading Kyle Boones CBS sports updated draft board. Hes got Williams, Lewis, Maxey, and Pokusevski all in the top 12 pushing Vassell, Okoro, Bey and Achiuwa down to 14 -17.
If he is available I would look hard at Williams.

You can teach fundamentals. Desire on the other hand?

Yea, I see Ron-Ron as well.

If we're sitting at 12, I say we go for the biggest boom bust player available--Poku, RJ, Lewis...
I'm not saying he has poor fundamentals. I'm saying he has the worst fundamentals of any player I've watched tape of. Like I seriously question his intelligence when it comes to predicting natural human movement. I feel like you could take a random athlete, like say someone that does track and field, and put them on the court with zero coaching and they would have better defensive fundamentals than RJ has.

I'm not even a huge proponent of defense as long as the offense outweighs the defensive negatives but I think RJ would make Buddy look like Christie on that end and would essentially be unplayable at the end of games because of it.

I'm not saying he has poor fundamentals. I'm saying he has the worst fundamentals of any player I've watched tape of. Like I seriously question his intelligence when it comes to predicting natural human movement. I feel like you could take a random athlete, like say someone that does track and field, and put them on the court with zero coaching and they would have better defensive fundamentals than RJ has.

I'm not even a huge proponent of defense as long as the offense outweighs the defensive negatives but I think RJ would make Buddy look like Christie on that end and would essentially be unplayable at the end of games because of it.
I get it. I'm a big believer in betting on what's between the ears as well. I don't question what's between the ears with RJ. Here's what convinced me:

Unless that deal also includes Thybulle and/or the 21st pick I'm not interested. Horford has a worse deal and is 33.
Dam straight. If Philly wants out of Horfords contract, which seems pretty clear they do, Thybulle has to be attached in the deal. Another draft pick is nice but 21 is too low. Since Philli has already reamed us not that long ago, no more favours.

I’ve always liked Horford, he may be old and overpaid but should be a good mentor and asset on the court for a couple more years. Its apparent Buddy wants out, and I would rather have a much younger Thybulle at this point anyways.

Dam straight. If Philly wants out of Horfords contract, which seems pretty clear they do, Thybulle has to be attached in the deal. Another draft pick is nice but 21 is too low. Since Philli has already reamed us not that long ago, no more favours.

I’ve always liked Horford, he may be old and overpaid but should be a good mentor and asset on the court for a couple more years. Its apparent Buddy wants out, and I would rather have a much younger Thybulle at this point anyways.
legit source and Horford hasn’t been a great mentor.

I don’t understand the “athlete” tag for Hampton. He is a thoroughly average athlete by NBA standards. His athletic ability is not a detriment, sure, but nor is it a plus.

It’s up there with people calling Wiseman an “explosive” athlete as the biggest misnomer of this draft. No, a 7’1” guy with explosive athleticism would be Shaq. Wiseman is fine, very smooth athlete for his size, but he’s not scaring anyone on runs to the rim. He’ll get contested at the rim a lot.

I don’t understand the “athlete” tag for Hampton. He is a thoroughly average athlete by NBA standards. His athletic ability is not a detriment, sure, but nor is it a plus.

It’s up there with people calling Wiseman an “explosive” athlete as the biggest misnomer of this draft. No, a 7’1” guy with explosive athleticism would be Shaq. Wiseman is fine, very smooth athlete for his size, but he’s not scaring anyone on runs to the rim. He’ll get contested at the rim a lot.
Well, all I can say is that you're wrong on both counts. Both Hampton and Wiseman are easily above average athletes for their size/position and can be described as explosive. Wiseman is obviously not Shaq, but you seem to be saying that if you're 7'1 and explosive, that automatically equals Shaq. I have no idea how you've reached that conclusion. There is a lot of middleground between Shaq and other explosive 7'1 athletes.

I am not very high on Hampton BTW. But I think the narrative on Wiseman has gotten to the point that he's probably being underrated. He still has filling out to do and is already a great athlete for his size.

Bjelica(Or Holmes)+Buddy for Thybulle+21+Horford.

Philly gets 2 lights out, glove-fit shooters next to Embiid and Simmons. Pretty obvious they aren't going to blow it up bringing in Doc.

Our age curve all of a sudden looks significantly better with 12+21+35+43+Thybulle+Bagley+Fox, possibly Giles. Horford is one of the few bigs in the NBA who can actually work on both ends of the court with Bagely, despite being grossly overpaid.

Bjelica(Or Holmes)+Buddy for Thybulle+21+Horford.

Philly gets 2 lights out, glove-fit shooters next to Embiid and Simmons. Pretty obvious they aren't going to blow it up bringing in Doc.

Our age curve all of a sudden looks significantly better with 12+21+35+43+Thybulle+Bagley+Fox, possibly Giles. Horford is one of the few bigs in the NBA who can actually work on both ends of the court with Bagely, despite being grossly overpaid.
And after that trade, let's finish the rebuild...

BOS Gets: Richaun Holmes & 2020 SAC 2nd
SAC Gets: Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirer, & 2020 BOS 1st

UTA Gets: Bogdan Bogdanovic (S&T) & Cory Joseph
SAC Gets: Mike Conley & Future 1st (Top 10 Protected - would convey 2 years after their 1st is conveyed to MEM)

POR Gets: Harrison Barnes
SAC Gets: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, & 2021 POR 1st (Top 14 Protected)

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy
SG - Thybulle / James / Hood
SF - Jeffries / Ariza
PF - Bagley / Parker
C - Horford / Kanter / Poirier
2020 Picks - #12, #21, #26, #35, & #52
2021 Picks - SAC 1st, POR 1st (Top 14 Protected), SAC 2nd, & MEM 2nd
2022 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2023 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2024 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st (Top 10 Protected), SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd
2025 Picks - SAC 1st, SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd
2026 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2027 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd

Having Horford on our books at that price hurts, but if we're hoping to get value out of Bagley, Horford may be the right guy to mentor him and help him learn the mental part of the game. Horford certainly has been a winning player the majority of his career. Perhaps he can rub off on Bagley.

Conley could also be a good veteran mentor for the team and could maybe teach Fox a thing or two.

One thing is for certain though, our defense would definitely be better after swapping Hield & Bjelica for Horford, Thybulle, & #21.