If Adelman were to go...

...who would replace him? And if the Kings don't bring home a ring, would that be the reason to fire him?

Since 1991 to the present, only 4 different coaches have won NBA championships, so that's a pretty limited pool to select a replacement from. I doubt the fans would want Phil Jackson (and vice versa), Rudy Tomjanovich is unavailable, Greg Popovich is as untouchable as Tim Duncan and I can't see Larry Brown heading to Sacramento. Other than these four, who would be on Adelman's level? Jerry Sloan? Hubie Brown? George Karl (God forbid)? Would the Maloofs send GP on a search-and-woo mission?

Winning an NBA championship takes a lot more than just coaching and it is no knock on the ability of a player/coach if they're recognized for skill and doing the best they could but just were not able to get the championship because of bad luck or because the other team was better.

If the guys don't make it this year then i'd expect to see some personel changes, but I would give Adelman a couple years with that personel before I try someone new. I would like to know who people would expect to take his place.

Geoff said:
Since 1991 to the present, only 4 different coaches have won NBA championships, so that's a pretty limited pool to select a replacement from. I doubt the fans would want Phil Jackson (and vice versa), Rudy Tomjanovich is unavailable, Greg Popovich is as untouchable as Tim Duncan and I can't see Larry Brown heading to Sacramento. Other than these four, who would be on Adelman's level? Jerry Sloan? Hubie Brown? George Karl (God forbid)? Would the Maloofs send GP on a search-and-woo mission?
I doubt we get the replacement from that pool, but don't ask me who because I'm wondering as well. I'm thinking with the change of the coach will come with a change a players on this team and we go into a small rebuilding/retooling process.

The pool reference is for those who have a ring as their aim. In terms of "proven ring winners", that's it. I dare anyone to rank Adelman as less than equal of all the other ringless coaches in the league right now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There are no more proven coaches than Adelman who would realistically end up in Sacto if the championship is still the goal. If you're talking about competing at the highest level, he has always been about as proven a commodity as we were going to realistically find.

That's really not the scenario where he ends up leaving though. The Adelman = out scenario is basically that we fall short again, that age is creeping up on Webb/Doug/Bobby, that Peja may or may not want to stay, and may or may not be worth a max deal anyway depending on whether he can up his playoff production, and that Petire/the Maloofs decide this crew is never going to get over the hump and that its time to rebuild.
In that situation, in rebuilding mode, there are any number of coaches out there who might or might not be as good or better than Rick. Basically he has excelled at taking teams with raw talent and turning them into championship contenders. Whether he can rebuild or not is a big "?" -- it migth be kind of a waste of a high level coach to have him taking a young team with no chance to contend back to school and trying to teach them the basics. And so if it comes to rebuilding, it would not be a surprise at all if they decided to rebuild the aging coaching staff right along with the aging team. Bring in a younger guy and let him try to put his stamp on whatever team emerges from the rebuilding process.

Last edited:
Geoff said:
The pool reference is for those who have a ring as their aim. In terms of "proven ring winners", that's it. I dare anyone to rank Adelman as less than equal of all the other ringless coaches in the league right now.
While Adelman's a good NBA coach, he is not on the same level as Sloan.

Bricklayer said:
There are no more proven coaches than Adelman who would realistically end up in Sacto if the championship is still the goal. If you're talking about competing at the highest level, he has always been about as proven a commodity as we were going to realistically find.

That's really not the scenario where he ends up leaving though. The Adelman = out scenario is basically that we fall short again, that age is creeping up on Webb/Doug/Bobby, that Peja may or may not want to stay, and may or may not be worth a max deal anyway depending on whether he can up his playoff production, and that Petire/the Maloofs decide this crew is never going to get over the hump and that its time to rebuild.
In that situation, in rebuilding mode, there are any number of coaches out there who might or might not be as good or better than Rick. Basically he has excelled at taking teams with raw talent and turning them into championship contenders. Whether he can rebuild or not is a big "?" -- it migth be kind of a waste of a high level coach to have him taking a young team with no chance to contend back to school and trying to teach them the basics. And so if it comes to rebuilding, it would not be a surprise at all if they decided to rebuild the aging coaching staff right along with the aging team. Bring in a younger guy and let him try to put his stamp on whatever team emerges from the rebuilding process.
I see your point, but if he were willing to try the rebuilding, why not?

Brick, I mostly agree with your take on Alelman. I disagree (I think) on your assesment on his ability to rebuild if needed.

In past threads, his detractors will point out how rigid he is causes player stiflement. His supporters will point out, in the past players have been allowed to develop and flourished. (I know this is a gross oversimplification) My opinion is that the evidence given to support each side overlooks the expectation of the team at the time. When the team was developing into a contender and expectations were lower, more emphasis seemed to be put into player development. When the team became a legitimate title contender (I believe they still are!), player development was sacrificied with the emphasis on the now. I think this shows the ability to adopt given the circumstances.

However, if the team goes into a rebuilding mold ... IMHO he will be gone.

p.s. I would also be lying if I said that he hasn't made want to pull my hair out and I don't have enough to spare.

Last edited:
If Adelman goes, a relatively young or inexperienced coach will have to replace him. There aren't any proven commodities out there that make any sense. That can be the worst thing possible sometimes, firing a veteran coach and trying to plug in a different veteran coach. What had Jackson, Popovich and Tomjanovich proven before they got hired? Certainly not as much as their predecessors.

So if the goal of a coaching change is to work towards a championship in a different way, then you have to pick a young, up-and-coming talent. Too bad Terry Porter got that offer to coach Milwaukee.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kev.in said:
If Adelman goes, a relatively young or inexperienced coach will have to replace him. There aren't any proven commodities out there that make any sense. That can be the worst thing possible sometimes, firing a veteran coach and trying to plug in a different veteran coach. What had Jackson, Popovich and Tomjanovich proven before they got hired? Certainly not as much as their predecessors.

So if the goal of a coaching change is to work towards a championship in a different way, then you have to pick a young, up-and-coming talent. Too bad Terry Porter got that offer to coach Milwaukee.
This is the way I envision things, IF it comes down to a coaching change.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
Phil Jackson.
Ha you joke, and I am no sure Phil WOULD coach in SAc, and not sure if Phill will ever take on a team that is not clearly stacked with tallent beyond the the rest, and not sure if the Maloofs WOULD ask him, but it does start one thinking...

PS Giving Muscleman another try might not be a bad idea. I liked what he did in GS. and he is a realistic option that is not a parady of himself or fossilezed.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
What about Jeff? Could we get him from Denver? I kinda like him...

;)
in what sense? :p

but yeah, he is a good coach and it seems that Vander-whoosis doesn't want to hang on to him, i don't know why...

so if it came down to rebuilding, I guess I would give him some support. Hopefully it won't come down to rebuilding.