I Will Still Be A Fan of THIS Team...

I've been watching this relationship between the owners and the city breakdown not only for the past few months but for years.. The city has been dragging their feet for years on this arena issue and i've come to the conclusion that the Maloofs have to do whats best for their business. I was born and raised in Sacramento. At 14 years old , the Kings moved here. I was the biggest fan in the world since! I've flopped on this issue of them moving more then once and after these last few days have realized that i won't give up on this team wherever they play. I don't blame the Maloofs for what they are doing. They will pay their loans off and anyone who thinks they won't are ignorant (city council~ lol). And guess what, they will STILL be the main rivals of the Lakers! Don't tell me you won't smile when the Royals whip up on the Lakers next year...you know you will. I hope the team stays of course but they the owners have to do whats best. I guess we know how Kansas City felt about it when they lost them.

Love Sacramento and this team forever!
-Trenton

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Are there any Kansas City Royals fans that stayed with the team when it moved to Sacramento? If you're here, sound off.

I think the Maloofs are D-Bags and have no clue what my relationship will be with the NBA the next year there's a season. A lockout might be nice. Maybe I'll start following NCAA. I'd love to say I'll ditch this team and follow a closer team like Portland, but who knows. I wouldn't be sad if they were a 15win team in Aneheim.

ill stick with them too but itll hurt to see them playing and being successful for a bandwagon fanbase that doesnt even care about them that much while sacramento had to sit through most of the $hitty years. and as much as i wanna blame and hate on the magoofs, this is a business, and they have to do whatever they think is best for their business if they want to keep it.

I've been watching this relationship between the owners and the city breakdown not only for the past few months but for years.. The city has been dragging their feet for years on this arena issue and i've come to the conclusion that the Maloofs have to do whats best for their business. I was born and raised in Sacramento. At 14 years old , the Kings moved here. I was the biggest fan in the world since! I've flopped on this issue of them moving more then once and after these last few days have realized that i won't give up on this team wherever they play. I don't blame the Maloofs for what they are doing. They will pay their loans off and anyone who thinks they won't are ignorant (city council~ lol). And guess what, they will STILL be the main rivals of the Lakers! Don't tell me you won't smile when the Royals whip up on the Lakers next year...you know you will. I hope the team stays of course but they the owners have to do whats best. I guess we know how Kansas City felt about it when they lost them.

-Trenton
You and I both. They only thing that connects me to Sacramento is that I'm a CSUS Alumni and couldn't get out of town fast enough to find better job opportunities in the bay area.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

-Trenton
Yes, its' the players that are the team for me. I am a Vikings fan and I haven't lived in Minneapolis since 1975. Obviously for me it is no longer the love of the players 'cause I don't know them. Basketball teams are more like family. Much harder to drop off your radar.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If the team does move, I will be a fan of the current PLAYERS. Once they leave, I have no connection with them anymore.
We'll see. If you watch the team, new players will enter the team and they will become yours also. That's a guess as that's what will happen to me and I know it. I certainly realize people are different and wouldn't bless nor criticize anyone's reaction. None of my business. We grab our enjoyment where we can find it but then that's a note far too boring to read if I got going.

My home will still have a lot of purple in it because Vikings also have purple in their colors. :) What will be lost is the chatter in the hallway or at work and idle comments at stores.

Once the Kings leave, I will have no interest in them. It always was a Sac thing for me... Might switch to watching the Bulls more frequently though, as I grew up in Chicago :)

If the team does move, I will be a fan of the current PLAYERS. Once they leave, I have no connection with them anymore.
This sums it up for me to. Although, I will follow much less closely. Basically will just occasionally check in on our guys and once they're gone, so am I. I cannot continue to support an organization that would do this. In my opinion, if you continue to support the organization then you support their decision to move.

This sums it up for me to. Although, I will follow much less closely. Basically will just occasionally check in on our guys and once they're gone, so am I. I cannot continue to support an organization that would do this. In my opinion, if you continue to support the organization then you support their decision to move.
+1

i'll check up on them but not follow them die hard like now.

If I follow the NBA, I'll be a Kings fan. But I can't even express the pain I'm going to feel, if those guys aren't playing for Sacramento.
:(

I guess some are planning on being Warriors fans, now. Ugh. I have always hated the Warriors and always will.

I will still be a fan of this team...I became a Kings fan during the 2002 season and I didn't think I'd stay a fan if those guys left...but they left and I'm still here.

Sorry.. I am a HUGE fan of the SACRAMENTO KINGS..

Not so much a fan of the ANAHEIM ROYALS. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I never wanted to be a fan of the Anaheim Royals anyway.

I didn't get truely into them until just before the glory years of the Sacramento era, but I was around...just a little young at the time! :)
Brother used to Live in Missouri when he was in the Air Force, and I did get to visit him a few times. This was back in 1992-1994 and there was no Kings gear anywhere. I never even heard about them in that area (was outside KC). I don't think it matters much there. It's been 26 years so I am sure there aren't many left. It would be nice if some people from Sac still followed them (me not being one of them) but I don't think people up here are really going to care much for them being the Maloofs moved them to our enemy TV market.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Emotionally it'll be hard to continue rooting for them. I don't think I could really be a fan of another team. I'm certainly not going to root for the Lakers or the Clippers. Most likely, if it comes to that, I'll just casually watch games when players that I want to see are playing. I always like following the rookies and seeing how expectations compare to reality. I'll still be interested in following the careers of the current Kings players. I'm considering watching the Minnesota Lynx actually when they draft Maya Moore. They should be pretty good next year and with the WNBA I won't picture David Stern's face every time I watch a game. :)

Though I'm against the Kings moving down here I will still be a fan and support the team.

I understand the connection to the team for some of you up there is deep and I totally get the anger and frustration. After all, they're your hometown team! I've never been through this.

This thing is not over yet. The biggest obstacles are yet to come.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Its a new era for these sorts of things. When the Kings last moved there was almost no national TV, at least not for the Kings, little cable and no League Pass, and no internet. Even ESPN was young. If you wanted to somehow stay a fan of a team that moved away you basically were reduced to just reading boxscores. Its no wonder so few would be able to make that jump. And given that most fans from that time would have been at least 35+ by the time the internet was invented, and hence of an age group that was less likely to embrace the net, its really no surprise that there is so little of the old KC fanbase in evidence.

But today...now its a choice everyone can make, or not make. But they have the choice. Given the attendance numbers, I think there are relatively few people on here who have been going to every game in person of late. And so how we keep track (especially us ex-pats) is through League Pass, through the internet etc. We can watch every game, see every stat, read every story, all from remote locations. If the Kings do move, Sacramento area fans will all have that same ability. they will still have the chance to watch every game, see every boxscore, and read every story. Other than the name change, the actual logistics of being a fan do not have to change much. So its a new age. Many won't want to make the jump if the team leaves Sacto. But for those that can/do, the technology is all there for them to get as much out of being a fan, and see as much of the team, as they always did. Moving away no longer makes it impossible to be a fan.

Last edited:
If they leave I will take a hiatus from the NBA and follow college basketball exclusively. When the roster has turned over from any of the guys I care about I'll probably find it in my heart to watch again and start following my local team. But I'm counting on at minimum a 5 year break from the NBA should the Kings leave. It will be too painful any other way.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
This pending relocation has made me do a lot of soul searching and made me realize that I am more personally invested in the players (and coach) than the geographic location of this team. I also harbor no ill will towards the Maloofs for doing what they think is necessary for their business to survive. I know this is coming from an “outsider” but my feelings for this team runs deep having lived in Jackson for 20+ years and, like many of you, I was a diehard fan even before the glory years. If the move happens I will continue to follow the team but it will be interesting to see if my passion wanes over time as players come and go. I know it will never feel the same as being a Sacramento Kings fan but I’m hoping that I can still enjoy watching this team grow together no matter where they call home.

The NBA will not get another dime. No league pass and I will avoid their sponsors as much as possible. My hope is a new GM comes in and trades cousins.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Its a new era for these sorts of things. When the Kings last moved there was almost no national TV, at least not for the Kings, little cable and no League Pass, and no internet. Even ESPN was young. If you wanted to somehow stay a fan of a team that moved away you basically were reduced to just reading boxscores. Its no wonder so few would be able to make that jump. And given that most fans from that time would have been at least 35+ by the time the internet was invented, and hence of an age group that was less likely to embrace the net, its really no surprise that there is so little of the old KC fanbase in evidence.

But today...now its a choice everyone can make, or not make. But they have the choice. Given the attendance numbers, I think there are relatively few people on here who have been going to every game in person of late. And so how we keep track (especially us ex-pats) is through League Pass, through the internet etc. We can watch every game, see every stat, read every story, all from remote locations. If the Kings do move, Sacramento area fans will all have that same ability. they will still have the chance to watch every game, see every boxscore, and read every story. Other than the name change, the actual logistics of being a fan do not have to change much. So its a new age. Many won't want to make the jump if the team leaves Sacto. But for those that can/do, the technology is all there for them to get as much out of being a fan, and see as much of the team, as they always did. Moving away no longer makes it impossible to be a fan.
[FONT=&quot]Good points, good post. Technology allowed me to remain a loyal fan even though I moved away from the Sacramento area and will allow me to continue to be a fan even if the team relocates.[/FONT]

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Brother used to Live in Missouri when he was in the Air Force, and I did get to visit him a few times. This was back in 1992-1994 and there was no Kings gear anywhere. I never even heard about them in that area (was outside KC). I don't think it matters much there. It's been 26 years so I am sure there aren't many left. It would be nice if some people from Sac still followed them (me not being one of them) but I don't think people up here are really going to care much for them being the Maloofs moved them to our enemy TV market.
Think of them as going undercover to destroy the enemy..

I was only half joking too. I like the WNBA a lot actually. The quality of basketball is not nearly as bad as most people assume. The best players are really good basketball players, for any league, and are well worth watching. And it has the distinct advantage of being a sports league that isn't completely overrun by ridiculous salaries and ticket prices, ego-obsessed superstars who complain after every foul call, and team owners who would rather move to a bigger market with lukewarm fan support than stay loyal to a small market with rabid fan support. In other words, it's basketball without all the BS that has made the NBA borderline unwatchable at times. Yes please.

I get what you're saying but the reason it isn't corrupt is cause there's not enough people who really have enough care for the league to make it corrupt.

[FONT=&quot]Good points, good post. Technology allowed me to remain a loyal fan even though I moved away from the Sacramento area and will allow me to continue to be a fan even if the team relocates.[/FONT]
A lot of the reason I am a fan is because of the experience. I actually go to games, and have relationships with other people I sit next to normally. It's an entirely different situation for some of us to lose the team. TV is just not the same as going to the game. There is an entirely different intimacy withthe team and atmosphere being at the games rather than watching a box score or reading about it the next day for those on the other side of the world. Even watching them on TV doesn't come close, and since I would never even fathom moving to the OC (nothing against the people that live there but I hate it down there) I wouldn't ever be able to catch more than 1 or 2 games a year. It's just not the same.

On the same note I am a Bengal fan. I watch maybe one game a year in person. If they moved closer I would be all for it although I would HATE to see the fans that go to every game upset over it. It would kill me. I would continue being a Bengal fan wherever they are because I don't have the hometown thing going on. Same with the Dodgers. It's just not the same when you go to most of the games.