I Will Still Be A Fan of THIS Team...

The Correct statement would be "Are there any Kansas City KINGS" fans that stayed with the team when they moved to Sacramento?

The answer to that is YES...My Name is NK64...short for NipponKing64 ( I lived in Tokyo when i joined and was born in 1964) i was born and raised in KC and still lived there when the Kings moved, was not too bad since KC at that time was really a Baseball town first (Royals), then the Chiefs...not much room for the NBA or NHL there (both failed) but i have to think that if KC had the kings when the magic/bird era got everyday people back into Pro Ball then they may have never moved. Just sucks for everybody in Sac that they never got the arena they needed and could have really built something with long term success from the Peja/CWebb days...sad thing is that you may never get a chance to prove the doubters wrong, just like KC who now has a nice NBA ready building but will never get a team to go there because nobody has deep enough pockets to pay for a team

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
As much as I'm going to hate them moving to Anaheim and so close to LA I'm still going to be a Royals fan until the Maloofs decide it's time to move again, and I'm sure it will happen again because for whatever reason this team can't find a home like the Lakers/Celtics can. Sigh. I have all this Sac Kings gear and now I'm going to have to go online and purchase Anaheim ish...

I'm going to be really conflicted. I honestly don't know what I'll do yet. Time will tell. I love this team and want to watch them grow and improve. On the other hand, I despise the Maloofs and want to see them fail, hard. I also don't know how I'd feel about watching this team play in Anaheim. It just wouldn't be the same, I know that. I'll never have the love and commitment for a team again that I had for the Sacramento Kings. Beating The Lakers, making the playoffs, winning 50 games, etc. just doesn't mean nearly as much to me unless they're victories Sacramento can claim as well.

I'm going to be really conflicted. I honestly don't know what I'll do yet. Time will tell. I love this team and want to watch them grow and improve. On the other hand, I despise the Maloofs and want to see them fail, hard. I also don't know how I'd feel about watching this team play in Anaheim. It just wouldn't be the same, I know that. I'll never have the love and commitment for a team again that I had for the Sacramento Kings. Beating The Lakers, making the playoffs, winning 50 games, etc. just doesn't mean nearly as much to me unless they're victories Sacramento can claim as well.
Honestly, I know it's hard, but at the end of the day it's just sports. I think you have more to gain by staying a fan than not. But, maybe my word doesn't mean so much considering that any team I'm die hard about plays in a different city. Used to be die hard bulls for MJ, always been die hard 9ers, and since 98 been die hard kings.

One thing I can say. I'm not going to hate the team, because of the Maloofs. I didn't love the Kings, because of who owned them. I didn't root my heart out for the owners of the Kings. I didn't watch games or go to games for the Maloofs or any of the other owners. It is and was all for the love of this team and the guys out there representing my home town. If I continue to be a fan, it will be because of the team. If I follow the NBA in the future, the Kings or Royals will be the team I'm a fan of, even if I have to gag down the SoCal connection.

One thing I can say. I'm not going to hate the team, because of the Maloofs. I didn't love the Kings, because of who owned them. I didn't root my heart out for the owners of the Kings. I didn't watch games or go to games for the Maloofs or any of the other owners. It is and was all for the love of this team and the guys out there representing my home town. If I continue to be a fan, it will be because of the team. If I follow the NBA in the future, the Kings or Royals will be the team I'm a fan of, even if I have to gag down the SoCal connection.

Save yourself the nausea! :D I will NEVER root for an NBA team that doesn't have 'Sacramento' in it...I don't care HOW much I like the style of play...and ESPECIALLY if they play in the LA metro area!! This team will probably win an NBA championship within 5-10 years, and I will always believe that they need to send half of that damn trophy to us here, because I'll be damned if ANY SoCal 'fan' EVER is as knowledgable and would EVER give .00001% of the blood, sweat and tears we as SACRAMENTANS have the past 26 freaking years!! Go to hell Anaheim!!

Honestly, I know it's hard, but at the end of the day it's just sports. I think you have more to gain by staying a fan than not. But, maybe my word doesn't mean so much considering that any team I'm die hard about plays in a different city. Used to be die hard bulls for MJ, always been die hard 9ers, and since 98 been die hard kings.
I've never been die hard for another team. In fact, if it weren't for the Kings playing in Sacramento, I probably never would have gotten into basketball in the first place. For me it just won't be the same. it may even depress me to watch the games which is why i might just quit following them all together.

I wouldn't either. But I want to see the Maloofs fall flat on their faces and end up looking like fools in this deal. There's a far better chance of that happening if the team stays bad. So basically I'm hoping the team fails only because that translates to Maloof failure. I understand how twisted that sounds but that's honestly how I feel right now.

Sorry.. I am a HUGE fan of the SACRAMENTO KINGS..

Not so much a fan of the ANAHEIM ROYALS. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I never wanted to be a fan of the Anaheim Royals anyway.

How would that make you a bad fan?...
We bleed our ****ing hearts out for a team all our lives only for it to be whored out to the enemy down south?

Will I be a fan of a team that is turning its back on us fans after 26 years of love and support? F that!

How would that make you a bad fan?...
We bleed our ****ing hearts out for a team all our lives only for it to be whored out to the enemy down south?

Will I be a fan of a team that is turning its back on us fans after 26 years of love and support? F that!
According to some around here you're only a real fan if you don't care where the team plays.

As far as I'm concerned, ANY city that loses a team to a city of pansies owes half of any/all championships to the city that bled for them emotionally for umpteen years. Great examples:

In the NHL, Dallas owes half their Cups to Minnesota.

NHL again...Denver owes half of their Cups to Quebec FOR SURE!

Again, NHL...stupid Carolina owes half their Cup to the city of Hartford

All the above cities NEVER got to enjoy the thrills of winning it all, then only to have their team leave and a few years later win a championship(s). When the Kings become the Royals in Anaheim...all they'll be is a novelty, just like everything else down there...like that freaking Rally Monkey!! I'll say it again...GO TO HELL ANAHEIM!!!

As far as I'm concerned, ANY city that loses a team to a city of pansies owes half of any/all championships to the city that bled for them emotionally for umpteen years. Great examples:

All the above cities NEVER got to enjoy the thrills of winning it all, then only to have their team leave and a few years later win a championship(s). When the Kings become the Royals in Anaheim...all they'll be is a novelty, just like everything else down there...like that freaking Rally Monkey!! I'll say it again...GO TO HELL ANAHEIM!!!
Luckily I don't think The Royals will be winning a championship anytime soon.

Chill. Those are my Angels you're talking about. :D The monkey killed the Giants or was that Scott Spezio? :p

Oh, it WILL happen...and when it does, it will break my heart...I always dreamed about how it would feel to celebrate a Kings championship on Capitol Mall...counting down the final seconds, crying tears of joy!! *sigh*
We've all dreamed of that. Odds are they won't be winning anything in the near future, though. They'll probably be a formidable team but everything has to lineup just right to win a title and I just don't see them doing that. Especially not with all the "superteams" that are around these days. Plus, I have confidence that The Maloofs will manage to screw things up somehow.

Chill. Those are my Angels you're talking about. :D The monkey killed the Giants or was that Scott Spezio? :p
Hey, if you know your team, know the sport and have been there since day 1, I have no beef. Problem is, 99% of Anaheimans or whatever the hell they're called, don't know JACK about ANYTHING!! SO freaking annoying!! I've been a Kings fan since day 1 in 85', I've been a 49ers fan since BEFORE the 'glory years', a Canucks fan for 30 years, and a Twins fan for about the same...I can't hold a sports conversation with anyone from Anaheim due to their limited knowledge...about their OWN team even!...It usually goes about 3 players deep, then they couldn't tell you the difference between Bobby Jackson and Reggie Jackson...just bring on that freaking monkey, right?!?

We've all dreamed of that. Odds are they won't be winning anything in the near future, though. They'll probably be a formidable team but everything has to lineup just right to win a title and I just don't see them doing that. Especially not with all the "superteams" that are around these days. Plus, I have confidence that The Maloofs will manage to screw things up somehow.
Hmmm...'super teams' eh?? Did you ever think the city of San Antonio would be boasting about winning all they have during the Kobe-LeBron 'super team' era?? I'm pulling for them to win it all AGAIN just to continue to prove that theory wrong.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hey, if you know your team, know the sport and have been there since day 1, I have no beef. Problem is, 99% of Anaheimans or whatever the hell they're called, don't know JACK about ANYTHING!! SO freaking annoying!! I've been a Kings fan since day 1 in 85', I've been a 49ers fan since BEFORE the 'glory years', a Canucks fan for 30 years, and a Twins fan for about the same...I can't hold a sports conversation with anyone from Anaheim due to their limited knowledge...about their OWN team even!...It usually goes about 3 players deep, then they couldn't tell you the difference between Bobby Jackson and Reggie Jackson...just bring on that freaking monkey, right?!?
This may all be true, but how many years had you been a Kings fan in '85?

Every fanbase has to start somewhere. Knowing general SoCal attitudes I am not terribly hopeful about their crew, but they can hardly be blamed for not having been a Kings fans as long as you. Some of them at least will learn. I'm not sure yet whetehr we as a board are going to persist or not, but if we do, maybe we'll even have a hand in getting some of them up to speed.

Hmmm...'super teams' eh?? Did you ever think the city of San Antonio would be boasting about winning all they have during the Kobe-LeBron 'super team' era?? I'm pulling for them to win it all just to continue to prove that theory wrong.
Well San Antonio kind of lucked into the best power forward in the history of the game. Didn't hurt that they drafted Parker and Ginobli at roughly the same time either. And they also had/have one of the best coaches ever.

As for the rooting for the Royals to win titles, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do that. It’s kind of like rooting for your girlfriend to hook up with Brad Pitt after she dumps you.

I'll be a fan of THIS team, but as players get traded away (or FO's make continued self-serving moves) I suspect my enthusiasm will finally fizzle.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
According to some around here you're only a real fan if you don't care where the team plays.
Not so sure it is that clear cut nor that it has been expressed. Certainly an opinion can be misinterpreted but I have been surprised there hasn't been an argument of what a fan must do to keep the title of fan.

There have been arguments dating back a decade of what a "real" fan was. They got horribly heated and required mod intervention. The conclusion was that there was no such definition. In fact, one could be simple minded and perhaps very accurate if you simply assumed a person was a fan if they regularly posted here and weren't a clear cut troll from LA.

I have my wishes, you have yours, and others are very different. There is no "right way" of being a fan and I don't think there has been any argument like you are insinuating although I think some are shocked at other people's attitudes. That doesn't mean that anyone is critical of someone elses fan status.

This may all be true, but how many years had you been a Kings fan in '85?

Every fanbase has to start somewhere. Knowing general SoCal attitudes I am not terribly hopeful about their crew, but they can hardly be blamed for not having been a Kings fans as long as you. Some of them at least will learn. I'm not sure yet whetehr we as a board are going to persist or not, but if we do, maybe we'll even have a hand in getting some of them up to speed.
I was wondering about that last part, but wasn't sure if this was a good time to bring it up. Probably I'll wait until after April 18 to discuss that matter. FWIW, this board played a huge role in my remaining a Kings fan after I joined the 2002 bandwagon.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
My girlfriend needs a better job to survive. More importantly she needs and deserves a better place to live and she's asking me to come with her.
Maybe the corporate ownership will offer her a monetary incentive to stay where she is to help balance the money she loses by staying where she is. Maybe with that extra money she can afford a better house.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well San Antonio kind of lucked into the best power forward in the history of the game. Didn't hurt that they drafted Parker and Ginobli at roughly the same time either. And they also had/have one of the best coaches ever.

As for the rooting for the Royals to win titles, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do that. It’s kind of like rooting for your girlfriend to hook up with Brad Pitt after she dumps you.
What if your girlfriend says she really loves you, and wants you to move to another city to be with her? What if she needs to move because the job she has isn't paying her enough, and you don't have the money to support her? Who is leaving who, if thats the situation? Change is hard. It takes you out of your comfort zone. Hey! She hasn't left yet. Maybe you can convince her that you can find a way to support her.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anyone that would say that is being ridiculous. You don't sign a contract to be a fan. Anyone, can root for any team, anytime. Its a personal choice. There's no way in hell I could ever root for the Lakers, but one of my closest friends is fanatical Laker fan. I still love the guy, I just won't watch a Laker game with him. Personally, if I can root for the Kings in Sacramento all the way from Ensenada, I have no problem rooting for the Anaheim Royals all the way from Ensenada. My loyality has always been more to the team than the city. That doesn't mean I want the team to move. My daughter and son both live there. And I understand the pain that will be felt by the fans there.

I would hope that some of you will reconsider in time, if the move actually happens. Your not hurting the Maloof's or Anaheim, by turning your back on the team you have so much emotion invested in. Its not the players fault that the team might be moving. Your only depriving yourself. Your choice of course, but I certainly don't think anyone is less of a fan because they choose that path.

I do think that there's a lot of misplaced anger at people that have nothing to do with this situation. They may be taking advantage of the opportunity, in the same sense that Sacramento took advantage of the opportunity in Kansas City. If thats true, then if the good people of Anaheim are whores, then the good people of Sacramento are also whores. While the Maloof's have made mistakes along the way, they have invested 30 million dollars to charities in the sacramento area, while the city of sacramento has done little but discourage any and all things that are Kings related. Nothing turns me off quicker than a class envy arguement. The bottom line is that the NBA is a business. An entertainment business, but a business none the less. It has a product, and in our capitalistic society, the person that pays the most, gets the product.

The city of sacramento has sat around with its thumb where the sun doesn't shine for the last 12 years, almost daring the Maloof's to move. Well, someone else showed up thats willing to pay more for the product. Its really that simple folks. If I can make more money selling to buyer B than I can selling to buyer A, why wouldn't I do that?

There is a large group that lives in the city of sacramento that believes, that if the Maloof's want a new arena, then they should build it themselves. Now they're entitled to their opinion. But that was never going to happen. For one thing, the Maloof's don't have enough money to build an arena if they wanted to. And why should they, when someone in another city is willing to offer them an arena? The Maloof's aren't running a charity organization. I know we live in a world of handouts and freebies. But they live in the harsh world of profit margins. There's won't be a goverment bailout if they can't make the grade. I owned my own business, and it can be tough at times. Its all about survival at times. And you know what! No one gives a tinkers damm when you go down the drain.

If the Maloof's were to sell the team to a billionaire, and then go broke themselves a few years later, would any of you really care? If not, then why should they.

Everyone likes to use the bf/gf analogy when speaking about the Kings moving, but you all have it wrong. We aren't the jaded boyfriend/girlfriend who is getting cheated on; we're the kids stuck in between a horrible divorce. We're made to choose sides when honestly, they both are to blame.