Grades v. Suns 02/05/10

After the trade deadline how many of the kids should be starting?

• Tyreke, Donte, Casspi, Thompson and Hawes

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Tyreke, Donte, Casspi, and Hawes

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Tyreke, Donte, Casspi, and Thompson

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Tyreke, Casspi, Thompson and Hawes

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Tyreke, Donte, Thompson and Hawes

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Tyreke, one of the SFs, one of the bigs

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Tyreke, one of the SFs, neither big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tyreke alone

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because drafting Evans and Casspi, picking up Donte Greene (which is now starting to look like a freaking ingenious move), and drafting a couple of serviceable big men who were the best available at their position on the draft board (who the hell should we have picked instead? Anthony Randolph? He'd sure help our front line, if by help you mean get eaten by Dwight Howard for breakfast).:rolleyes:
The point is rebuilding is a long and arduous road, especially when the reason you had to rebuild is because your previous superstar had his knee explode (If Tim Duncan blew out his knee, the Spurs would probably suffer a long fall from grace just like us...just saying) and you then traded him to go for the team concept (Detroit Pistons concept). Couple that with your bosses trading for a nutcase without your full consent and firing your Hall of Fame Head Coach and replacing him with a nimrod who got his job based on a slideshow, followed in succession by said coach getting drunk and arrested,firing said coach and replacing him with a megalomaniaical snappy dresser who really had little idea what he was doing, fire him and replace him with a complete doofus who probably couldn't spell his own name let alone coach a basketball game, and you've got a tough cliff to ascend. I'd like to see anyone else do better.
Casspi and Evans are gems.. At least right now they are... I will give him credit for that..

Trading the pick that could have got is DeJuan Blair was just plain dumb. Lots of us here knew it was worth it to spend a measly 2nd round pick on a dominating inside presence that the team sorely missed.

The year before that we got Whiner Boy Thompson... And the two WORST 2nd round draft picks in the history of basketball.. Patrick freaking Ewing Jr, and Sean Singletary.. Both weren't even expected to be drafted let alone in the middle of the second round. Who did I want? Dragic, Jordan, CDR or Chalmers. 2nd rounders were going a dime a dozen that year. We could have netted us some REAL talent rather than throwing away the picks which was the consensus from the members here. And yes I wanted Randolph.. I REALLY wanted Kevin Love, but he was out of reach. I also had my eyes on Robin Lopez and Speights.

The year before that I wanted Noah.. REALLY wanted Noah. Sucks we lost the coin flip or we would have him now. My second choice was Al Thorton. I wanted to grab a second rounder and take Nick Fazekas as well.

The year we drafted Douby I wanted Marcus Williams. A lot of others here wanted Rondo.

Not saying my draft was better than Petrie's but I don't get paid millions to scout, and draft..

We need talent. Simple as that. Only one player on this team can get his shot off. And we know who that is. Our center is soft. Our Powerforward is amputated at the elbows and head. And everyone else is consistent at being inconsistent.

What else do people expect? We need more talent and we need more cohesion with that talent. Hopefully we can pick up the low post scorer (cousins) in the draft. And the low post defender via trade in the off season.

And hopefully withy some experience Dante can learn to be more consistent. After that we are on our way.
We needed that coin flip a couple years ago.. Noah >>>>>> Hawes and we also needed Petrie to take a chance on Blair and not trade for a PG that isn't even used regularly.

Noah-Blair-Thompson > Hawes-Brockman-Thompson

But hey... Petrie just loves second round talent.. Ask Singletary, and Ewing.

The one I was watching had the suns announcers. That Eddie Johnson is one annoying piece of ****. I hate it when announcers are haters, just because the other team playing isn't your home team doesn't mean you need to act like you're the smartest basketball god in the universe where the Phoenix Suns or the Utah Jazz or the New Orleans Hornets have all star players as 12th mans. Like seriously, these idiots just have nothing good to say about the other team or their efforts. No you idiot, a line up of John Wall and Evans with Martin off the bench is not going to work. No you idiot, it is not stupid to trade Kevin Martin because he gives us 25points a night. Oh wait, did he even give us 25 tonight? Idiot.

Sorry for the outburst I just can't stand such announcers.
Was he really saying that Martin off the bench would work? ROFL.. What a dummy.. Or that Martin and Evans work because Martin can give us 25ppg? LOL.. I have NO idea why people think putting a bunch of talent together will win a lot of games... CHEMISTRY PEOPLE!!! CHEMISTRY!

I agree with you Gary, Petrie's decisions in the past few years overall have not warranted the praise that he still gets from the glory days. This years draft I have no questions whatsoever, and I'll give him a break on Thompson and Hawes because they need time to develop. I'm totally with you on the wasting of 2nd round picks though.

I think the biggest problem is he's trying to recreate our glory team without realising that such players don't come around all the time. JT = webber? Who are we kidding. The closest thing we've had so far to anyone on that squad is Spencer who in time can possibly become as good as Vlade. But there's no point in having a Vlade when the rest of your players aren't Christie, Peja, Webb etc. The fact is we need to start building a team that wins championships following a proven style, inside out. Stop trying to force the princeton crap and just stick to what works. He's beginning to do that, but the effects of previous years have amounted to a lot of **** to get out of.

[yt=HILTON ARMSTRONG: NEVER GIVE UP]naRKotoBGVo[/yt]

LOL....

Ps. Martin is really starting to pee me off right now. I seriously just wanna damn trade him.... but with who?

Ever since Martin came back, I feel like we've reverted back to that 17 win team again. Before we were always competitive regardless of the competition, now we are getting blown out at home.
That is your Martin infecting the whole team with his " PASSION ".:D

The "genius" named Petrie is really looking like an idiot right now for putting together this trash team. How long have we been out of contention? How long does it friggin take to rebuild a team to at least mediocrity. Petrie has to go.
Petrie is/was a genius?

Since when and who claims that? :rolleyes:

Petrie just got lucky having assembled that glorious team of Webber and Divac. That was it and that was all about Petrie being lucky rather than good as a GM.

I agree with you. If I were the Maloofs, I would fire him and gamble on taking another GM who would care more about the franchise. Petrie has been wasting the Maloofs money for quite a number of years already.

And eversince Evans got drafted, even the most stupid fans here in this forum knew we needed a back-up center and we have too many small forwards/swingmen. Westphal even pointed out that our frontcourt was very thin.

And what was the answer of Petrie to the problem?

The outside shooting Sean May who loves playing away from the paint on both ends of the floor. Is Petrie ( the "genius" ) that clueless? :eek:

Then later on, he brought in Mason, then Udoka when the top priority to solve is the problem with the frontline. Even the most stupid fan was able to see the logjam in small forward position and you would want to add Mason, then Udoka? And now the useless Armstrong. :rolleyes:

Time is ticking " Mr. Genius ". Get your lazy *** working and get this team what it really needs. Pick-up that phone and start calling. You have several assets as ammo to make that blockbuster trade and do not procrastinate as you've always had.:cool:

I know we're all fustrated, but thats bull****. He has added a lot of young talent to this team. You have to wait until the trade deadline and this upcoming offseason to see what moves Petire will make.

Just because you would like it to, doesn't mean this roster will change overnight.
Oh yeah. Let us wait and wait and wait and wait again for that brilliant move.

How long have we been waiting for that brilliant move from Petrie?

Does several years still seems like "overnight" to you? :D

petrie is horrible at planning things ahead of time... he resigns beno to a fat contract then drafts evans to play pg and trades for sergio as a third pg when we dont even have 2 centers or 2 pf's... so what does he do? signs sean may.... wow... we have nocioni,greene and garcia signed to long term deals and he drafts casspi... i like casspi but we have way to many players at his position.

pretty good at drafting, bad at everything else.... how long are we going to give him props for what he did back in 1999? its 2010... 2010 people...
I agree with you on this one.

For a lot of years now, Petrie has been giving the fans and the coaches a poorly balanced and defective team. Petries timing has been wayyyyyyyyyy-offfffffff the mark.

Sometimes I wonder. Maybe those few fans who think Petrie is a genius or very good GM are Petrie's Mom, Dad, children or relatives. They just keep defending every wrong move Petrie had done. :p

I think the Maloofs should demote Petrie to being just a talent scout. That is all what he can do best anyways. Let the over-all decision making and trading players rest upon somebody not named Petrie "the turtle".

We needed that coin flip a couple years ago.. Noah >>>>>> Hawes and we also needed Petrie to take a chance on Blair and not trade for a PG that isn't even used regularly.

Noah-Blair-Thompson > Hawes-Brockman-Thompson

But hey... Petrie just loves second round talent.. Ask Singletary, and Ewing.
hind sight is always 20/20

why the hell is everyone bagging on petrie? This team aint gonna win this year. What do you expect. Patience people. just because you want K-mart traded RIGHT NOW doesnt mean its the right thing to do. Theres a reason Petrie is a GM and we are just fans on a messege board. I dont really like to question, or think im smarter than any GM (unless its Brian Sabean ;))

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
why the hell is everyone bagging on petrie? This team aint gonna win this year. What do you expect. Patience people. just because you want K-mart traded RIGHT NOW doesnt mean its the right thing to do. Theres a reason Petrie is a GM and we are just fans on a messege board. I dont really like to question, or think im smarter than any GM (unless its Brian Sabean ;))
I do.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Casspi and Evans are gems.. At least right now they are... I will give him credit for that..

Trading the pick that could have got is DeJuan Blair was just plain dumb. Lots of us here knew it was worth it to spend a measly 2nd round pick on a dominating inside presence that the team sorely missed.

The year before that we got Whiner Boy Thompson... And the two WORST 2nd round draft picks in the history of basketball.. Patrick freaking Ewing Jr, and Sean Singletary.. Both weren't even expected to be drafted let alone in the middle of the second round. Who did I want? Dragic, Jordan, CDR or Chalmers. 2nd rounders were going a dime a dozen that year. We could have netted us some REAL talent rather than throwing away the picks which was the consensus from the members here. And yes I wanted Randolph.. I REALLY wanted Kevin Love, but he was out of reach. I also had my eyes on Robin Lopez and Speights.

The year before that I wanted Noah.. REALLY wanted Noah. Sucks we lost the coin flip or we would have him now. My second choice was Al Thorton. I wanted to grab a second rounder and take Nick Fazekas as well.

The year we drafted Douby I wanted Marcus Williams. A lot of others here wanted Rondo.

Not saying my draft was better than Petrie's but I don't get paid millions to scout, and draft..
Its all the luck of the draw when it gets down to the second round really. Really for every 1 Rondo there is in the draft, there are 40 Quincy Doubys (Not every draftee is a sure-fire NBA player). Plus, we did the Sergio trade before the draft. I don't think anyone thought Blair would have fallen to 31 before the draft. If he did fall one pick lower than he did, Petrie most likely would have taken him since we all know how much he loves Power Forwards with knees that are ticking time bombs. All I'm saying is that you can't pick a player using a pick that is no longer yours.

Hindsight is 20/20. We can look back now and say "We should have taken such and such instead of (insert name here)." But in real time, GMs don't have that luxury.

Gee... This post most definitely contradicts your signature.

Just for clarification, what exactly is your definition of exciting? Just because a team doesn't try to make Sportscenter with each play doesn't mean their not exciting (exciting plays don't exactly equal good basketball, ask Sergio).
Dictionary.com

exâ‹…citâ‹…ing

 
 /ɪkˈsaɪ
tɪŋ/
Show Spelled Pronunciation [ik-sahy-ting]
Show IPA –adjective producing excitement; stirring; thrilling: an exciting account of his trip to Tibet.

Perhaps this will help. To me exciting is watchable basketball. Watchable is basketball that isn't MEDIOCRE. I think the Kings are starting to enter that area of Mediocrity that no one likes to watch in a professional sports team.

p.s. my signature has changed recently to reflect the downward trend of the Kings season.

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Amazing. Every game now they have one terrible, horrible quarter then play even or better for 3 quarters. Usually it was the 3rd then part of a 4th but now the 1st? The Kings of old in late 80's up through mid-90's (mostly vets) played competitive for the first 3 quarters then every game would fade in second half of 4th to lose.

But now we have a batch of kids doing OTJT (on the job training) and in any given quarter seem to have a memory lapse. But most of the rest of the time they hustle and work. Some combos better than others. But best when they have Beno or Sergio playing.

and it aint gonna change anything. your still a fan on a messege board.

Brick i know this wasnt you but ripping some GM, (that has done more than an adaquate this year) becuase you want a player traded whose value is at its lowest right now is ridiculous.

let me ask you this, where would we be without GP the last 2 years. No Omri, No Donte, most likely no Tyreke (rubio or nothing instead).

Casspi ( C+ ) -- very solid statistical game that didn't leave nearly that mpression if you watched it. Missed a runner to start, and then of course missed an open three on the Reke kickout. But then rather shockingly finally hit one of those on another look, and did it again 30 seconds later. Got quiet for a long spell, opened the 2nd quarter grabbing a d-board and getting it stripped from behind for an eventual Suns score, and after picking up his 2nd foul took his first rest. Came up with another hit and a pair of FTs after returning late in the quarter, and then missed the three pointer at the halftime buzzer. 10pt half, but most of that was just those back to back threes in the ealry first. In the 3rd dropped in a layup +1 (and hit the +1), had some d-rebs, but was having problems on defense, picked up his 4th foul, and had to sit until the extende garbagetime of the 4th. Picked up a goaltending on a Dudley layup in the mid 4th. Missed a pair of baseline jumpers late. Finished with a very respectable 17 and 8 here, but he's had games with lesser numbers and greater impact. Still was one of only three guys to bring it for us tonight at any level.
Well, maybe this was before KM made his historical return?

I was fascinated on two fronts:

1. That Donte seemed comfortable at the 4, and...

2. That Amare looked frustrated and outplayed much of the time.

All things considered, I'm becoming less and less impressed with Amare and more and more impressed that we were able to get Donte Greeene.

:)
Agree 200 percent. The rest of last night's performance got me thinking about things like Effexor, Xanex and other depression medicatiions. Things have GOT to improve. I'm thinking trades are a real possibility now with Martin in the mix.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Just loved the play of Greene. He continues to show why the future is very bright. He flubbed up on a couple of cross over dribble moves, but I really think the guy has the source material to perfect that move. He certainly faked Amare out of his jock on it. Just like Tyreke, Greene continues to play, no matter the score. Inexperienced talent is just not going to win against Nash & Co.

Martin looks like a D league player. If he didn't have a history, I'd say we should send him back to the D league. It's all mental with him. He has no kick-*** fire in him whatsoever. He gives off a woe-is-me attitude that is beyond ludicrous. How long can Westphal go with Martin when Udoka is playing better?

I have a feeling that Petrie is going to hold out for a deal for Martin to his liking. If he doesn't get what he wants then he'll just keep Martin until something good comes along, even if it means we keep losing this season and he ends up trading Martin in the offseason. Keeping Martin and losing badly for the rest of this season isn't such a bad thing if we could net another high lottery pick this year. Petrie isn't going to just give away Martin.
Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No.

Petrie will surely work to get value for Martin which probably means an off season transaction. On 'keep losing this season', I think there is terrific pressure to get immediately better. Something will happen. Unfortunately, the timing of Garcia's return is bad. He could be the answer a SG if he returns to his former self. But will his injury let him? If Petrie knew the answer to that it would help in making a move now.

I think right now the issue of playing bad and getting a high draft pick is not a choice for Petrie and ownership. It won't sell tickets and we have too many young players right now to give proper minutes and positive experience.

So they are between a rock and a hard place. But that won't stop them from taking steps now. Just hope that the right opportunities are there for Petrie. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. But I am real interested in what happens to the team makeup in the next month.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Martin ( F ) -- F. F. F. This one damaged my calm. I mean what the hell? Did someone spike his water? Is he clinically depressed? It was like some extra from Dawn of the Dead shuffled on into our lineup, and the thing was, the kids out there knew it. After a while they seemed to just want to pretend Kevin was invisible and went out there and tried to play 4 on 5. Kevin had about 6 minutes of moderate energy to give us -- maybe he ate half a power bar before the game or something. Hit his first outside jumper, got in for a near nice tip on the o-boards, but missed it and then missed on a runner. As soon as Dragic came in to guard him he instantly took him off the dribble for a running jumper -- basically the only moment of aggressiveness he could muster for the entire game. He would miss his next three, the last one trying to draw a foul, and after jumping into Dragic to draw a rather sad foul to close the first quarter to draw a foul and hit 1 of 2 FTs, that was it. The end of his scoring. The end of any contribution at all. And damn if it wasn't bad enough it might not lead to the eventual end of his tenure here as well. Was back in after a few minutes and missed a three. Just disappeared therafter and finally sat with just 5 pts on 2-7 with 3 minutes to go in the half. Halftime did absolutely nothing to fix anything. Casually threw up a bricked three in the mid 3rd that didn't even look like he wanted to take it, almost like an afterthought. Another three brick and finally FINALLY taken out with 3 minutes to go in the third and a -31 +/- in 26 minutes. There was absolutely nothing good to take from this. In fact its hard not to see it as a disaster. Kevin didn't look like he wanted to be out there. His teammates didn't look like they wanted him out there. And the crowd didn't sound like they wanted him out there. Even Westphal's constant parade of excuses for these performances was reduced to a no comment. Its probably a good thing we are going out on the road now to get away from at least some of it.
Well said. Couldn't agree more. This has been my biggest problem since Kevin has returned. It's not the missed shots. It is the lack of enery, effort, any kind of hustle in general. After a few games, the other guys pick up on it.

They can tell when a teammate isn't putting forth the same amount of effort. It has a trickle down effect. With Kevin acting, and playing like he doesn't want to be here, it's only a matter of time before his teammates come to the same conclusion. Unfortunately, I think that is what we are starting to see. How is Kevin going to help turn this thing around if he doesn't care enough to put out the effort required to do so?

Something I didn't like about Kevins postgame comments, was that it sounded as if he blamed his teammates for his pee poor effort. He was asked if the trade talk was a distraction, and he said not so much for him because he had been through it before, but it's definately effecting the rest of the team. It's his overall lack of effort and any positive contributions which is effecting the team, not the trade talks. In the interview, he sounded like a beaten dog that doesn't want to be here. Tough situation for coach.

Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No.

Petrie will surely work to get value for Martin which probably means an off season transaction. On 'keep losing this season', I think there is terrific pressure to get immediately better. Something will happen. Unfortunately, the timing of Garcia's return is bad. He could be the answer a SG if he returns to his former self. But will his injury let him? If Petrie knew the answer to that it would help in making a move now.

I think right now the issue of playing bad and getting a high draft pick is not a choice for Petrie and ownership. It won't sell tickets and we have too many young players right now to give proper minutes and positive experience.

So they are between a rock and a hard place. But that won't stop them from taking steps now. Just hope that the right opportunities are there for Petrie. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. But I am real interested in what happens to the team makeup in the next month.

We should have a poll on whether we think Kevin Martin is going to get moved during this trading deadline. My vote is Kevin is going to be here at least until the offseason.

I went with the second option in the poll. I would like to see this line-up:

PG: beno or sergio
SG: Reke
SF: Omri
PF: Donte
C: Hawes

I would also be intrigued by the big and young line-up of:

PG: Reke
SG: Donte
SF: Omri
PF: JT
C: Hawes

The rest can come off the bench and/or be used as trade fodder.

Well said. Couldn't agree more. This has been my biggest problem since Kevin has returned. It's not the missed shots. It is the lack of enery, effort, any kind of hustle in general. After a few games, the other guys pick up on it.

They can tell when a teammate isn't putting forth the same amount of effort. It has a trickle down effect. With Kevin acting, and playing like he doesn't want to be here, it's only a matter of time before his teammates come to the same conclusion. Unfortunately, I think that is what we are starting to see. How is Kevin going to help turn this thing around if he doesn't care enough to put out the effort required to do so?

Something I didn't like about Kevins postgame comments, was that it sounded as if he blamed his teammates for his pee poor effort. He was asked if the trade talk was a distraction, and he said not so much for him because he had been through it before, but it's definately effecting the rest of the team. It's his overall lack of effort and any positive contributions which is effecting the team, not the trade talks. In the interview, he sounded like a beaten dog that doesn't want to be here. Tough situation for coach.
Honestly, I was in the trade kevin camp from the beginning, and still am. BUT, I think we are all being way too hard on him. Basketball players are human, and when a player knows that his team (and probably his teammates as well) doesn't really want him, and wants him to play well JUST so he can up his trade value, it's really hard to perform even close to your potential. Just like Omri and other players were frustrated and confused upon Kevin's return because they didn't know their role, Kevin is in a similar situation. He knows he's going to get traded. He knows the franchise and his teammates don't see him as part of the future of this team, and I don't know any person in the world who would not be affected in a negative way by this kind of situation. I don't know if there is a solution to this situation but dumping all the Kings problems on Kevin is not the answer IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.