Grades v. Suns 02/05/10

After the trade deadline how many of the kids should be starting?

• Tyreke, Donte, Casspi, Thompson and Hawes

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Tyreke, Donte, Casspi, and Hawes

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Tyreke, Donte, Casspi, and Thompson

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Tyreke, Casspi, Thompson and Hawes

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Tyreke, Donte, Thompson and Hawes

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Tyreke, one of the SFs, one of the bigs

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Tyreke, one of the SFs, neither big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tyreke alone

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, that's it. They have finally done it. I'm not going to theme this one up because I have nothing prepared and its a short turnaround. But if they keep playing like this through the roadtrip, it will be the fulltime return fo the grades themes. This team is just flat out depressing rihgt now, so if they can't entertain, I will endeavor to do so.

Casspi ( C+ ) -- very solid statistical game that didn't leave nearly that mpression if you watched it. Missed a runner to start, and then of course missed an open three on the Reke kickout. But then rather shockingly finally hit one of those on another look, and did it again 30 seconds later. Got quiet for a long spell, opened the 2nd quarter grabbing a d-board and getting it stripped from behind for an eventual Suns score, and after picking up his 2nd foul took his first rest. Came up with another hit and a pair of FTs after returning late in the quarter, and then missed the three pointer at the halftime buzzer. 10pt half, but most of that was just those back to back threes in the ealry first. In the 3rd dropped in a layup +1 (and hit the +1), had some d-rebs, but was having problems on defense, picked up his 4th foul, and had to sit until the extende garbagetime of the 4th. Picked up a goaltending on a Dudley layup in the mid 4th. Missed a pair of baseline jumpers late. Finished with a very respectable 17 and 8 here, but he's had games with lesser numbers and greater impact. Still was one of only three guys to bring it for us tonight at any level.

Greene ( A ) -- and here was the bright point on the night. After getting a look at this new improved Donte early this season I began to tag him as the 2nd most exciting prospect on the team behind Reke, and tonight Donte showed why. How many teams have a 6'11" guy who can bring the ball up the court and guard everyone from Kobe to Amare? You know what we call that? We call that a bigger version of Scottie Pippen. So inconsistent still, but tonight it looked like Reke's Robin might already be in the building. Wasn't scared of Amare in the least, and that too is a thing of beauty -- Kobe, Melo, Amare...not only is Donte not afraid of them, he goes out there and wants to embarrass them. Was the man right from the beginning for us tonight. Two early hoops, then canned a three, and not in my housed Amare with a big block out to the three point line. Missed a series of jumpers down the stretch of the quarter, but drew the offensive foul on Amare and was clearly frustrating him. Came back aggressive in the 2nd. Nice slow hesitation drive from the perimeter around Amare and through Lopez. Amare took him on one side, so Donte responded and came back with a big long drive along the baseline right by Amare. Then Amare came back with the pick and roll dunk as they dueled. Donte got the mop up dunk on a Reke missed layop. Missed an open three in the final minute of the half that we could have used to make it more a more mangeable halftime deficit. Big cut and taken out of the air by Lopez as he caught the ball going to the hoop in the 3rd. Swooped to the hoop past Amare. Frustrated Amare so much that he chucked Donte running down the floor and picked up the foul. So Donte responds by taking the ball and ramming it right back through Amare and Lopez for another foul. Things were falling apart for us anyway, and another good drive cut the lead to a mere 28. woot! Started the 4th getting fouled twice, the second one a shooting foul that let him hit 2 Fts to set his career higg. Went into the post, missed the shot, grabbed the reb, and scored the layup. Kept on hitting into the garbage mintes. Nioce finish +1 from Sergio to get us within 19, but Westphal decided soon therafter that Donte has given us enough, and that he was no garbagetime player on this night. remember a week or two ago when Donte only got 4 first quarter minutes one game? We have just got to clear up this logjam and let these kids loose every night.

Hawes ( D+ ) -- blocked by Lopez to start, nifty pass to Reke on the block against Nash, but getting overpowered by Lopez on the glass, and threw up an 0-4 first quarter in response. Follow jam of a Donte miss and the +1 to get us back within 13, but missed the FT. Worked aggressively to establish post position in the mid-3rd against Amare and then Nash but our guards could not see him somehow and did not get it into him. Whipped by Amare's athleticism in the third on both ends and invisible on the glass. After a long stretch of good games, this was a significant regression.

Martin ( F ) -- F. F. F. This one damaged my calm. I mean what the hell? Did someone spike his water? Is he clinically depressed? It was like some extra from Dawn of the Dead shuffled on into our lineup, and the thing was, the kids out there knew it. After a while they seemed to just want to pretend Kevin was invisible and went out there and tried to play 4 on 5. Kevin had about 6 minutes of moderate energy to give us -- maybe he ate half a power bar before the game or something. Hit his first outside jumper, got in for a near nice tip on the o-boards, but missed it and then missed on a runner. As soon as Dragic came in to guard him he instantly took him off the dribble for a running jumper -- basically the only moment of aggressiveness he could muster for the entire game. He would miss his next three, the last one trying to draw a foul, and after jumping into Dragic to draw a rather sad foul to close the first quarter and hit 1 of 2 FTs, that was it. The end of his scoring. The end of any contribution at all. And damn if it wasn't bad enough it might not lead to the eventual end of his tenure here as well. Was back in after a few minutes and missed a three. Just disappeared therafter and finally sat with just 5 pts on 2-7 with 3 minutes to go in the half. Halftime did absolutely nothing to fix anything. Casually threw up a bricked three in the mid 3rd that didn't even look like he wanted to take it, almost like an afterthought. Another three brick and finally FINALLY taken out with 3 minutes to go in the third and a -31 +/- in 26 minutes. There was absolutely nothing good to take from this. In fact its hard not to see it as a disaster. Kevin didn't look like he wanted to be out there. His teammates didn't look like they wanted him out there. And the crowd didn't sound like they wanted him out there. Even Westphal's constant parade of excuses for these performances was reduced to a no comment. Its probably a good thing we are going out on the road now to get away from at least some of it.

Evans ( B- ) -- a short night in which he got into early foul trouble, played through it, continued to accumulate physical punishment, and was finally just given the rest of the night off with the game spiraling wildly out of reach. Think maybe if we had gotten it back to the point of being semi-possible late we might have seen him again -- he played pretty well while he was out there. But we never got it into any realistic position. Hurt his hand on an early drive by Nash -- maybe a jam or something? First shot was a jumper, started getting the drive and dish game to Casspi really going in the middle first quarter, and got inside on the postup of Nash courtesy of the nifty Hawes pass. But Nash was brilliant back the other way and mixed in long threes by driving into him again and again. He got 2 fouls, but Westphal stuck wiht him, knowing both that he's gotten good at avoiding poickig up that 3rd, and that we were threatening to get blown out and needed him. well, the gamble did not pay off this time, as Nash went at him and it was 3 fouls in the first 7 1/2 minutes that took him out. Thing was, and here I was proud of both Westphal and Reke, we come out to start the 2nd quarter, and there is Reke again. Just pure stubborness on our part, and daring the refs to call something ticky tack on our star for his 4th. They did not. First drive of the quarter was a wild drive. Followed with a tough strength drive, and then despite the fouls played some strong defense on the block against Dudley and got smacked in the face for hsi troubles -- lot of blood on his second injury of the night, and apparently he bit his toungue. And yet again we stubbornly returned him in the mid-2nd. Really our second highlight of the night -- 1) Donte's toughness in facing down Amare, and 2) our stubborness and Reke's toughness in just returning again and again through foul trouble and injuries. If you have to go down, at least go down swinging. Reached in stole the ball from Richardson to start the break -- another pretty ballsy play for having three fouls -- missed the layup to finish the break, but Donte mopped it up. Got fouled and hit 1 of 2 FTs, then a nifty drive that he finished on the left side with his right hand, then another power drive. Nearly traveled on the final possession of the half while kicking it out to Omri for another missed three. In the thrid froze JRich with the dribble and blew by him to the hoop. Then forced a three one on one. Near steal on Nash that Nash somehow saved after the scramble. On his final drive airblalled the finish. Far from perfect, but the sort of game that would have been his normal 20 5+ 5+ if he had played his normal minutes. Given that he didn't and we lost badly, was goig to go C+ here, but I liked the stubborness and feistiness of the response to the first half foul troubles and bumps and bruises, so giving him the never give up never surrender half tick.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Udrih ( D+ ) -- nothing at all in the first half. If there was any prove it to you in him after the public dispute over his injury status, he was hidhing it well. 0-2 shooting, 1pt 1ast and again just simply not involved. Getting knocked back by Kevin's reappearance has been the clear catalyst for this stuff, but I think its clear that Beno has taken that problme and run wiht it mentally. Notably was more aggressive in garbagetime. Missed a three, but finally hit with a little midrange pullup. Then followed with a driving layup. That was it though as he returned to being Sergio's invisible wingman. After an opening couple of months when he played so well he was almost justifying that contract and making himself hard to trade as an important piece of our early success, he's now reverted to everything that I feared he might be coming into the season as a backup PG without a portfolio. Reraises questions about possibly trading him, and if he is even tradeable once again.

Armstrong ( C ) -- was our first big off the bench this time as we continue to have a rotating scrubapalooza back there. One handed follow jam of a Kevin miss, turned it over off a spin, got back to goaltend it on the fly, then scored on a little jumper. And after doing nothing down the garbagetime stretch, may have trumped even Donte or Reke for the never quit never surrender moment of the game with this play (thx to RayZ for finding that on youtube -- did somethign similar a few weeks ago, and it just seemed an ******* move, but this time it was so stupid it was funny):
[yt=HILTON ARMSTRONG: NEVER GIVE UP]naRKotoBGVo[/yt]

Brockman ( C ) -- was actually pushed back behind Armstrong in the big man rotation tonight, a development that surprised me despite his recent erratic outings given that the last time we faced this team he was huge for us in shutting down Amare in the second half of that game. Played some solid body defense on Amare down stretch of the first half, but minutes were limited. Back in in the third and got a follow tip on the offensive glass. Missed Ts and a number of o-rebs that he was not able to finsih. And this time maybe Amare was out for a little revenge, as he scored over him at will and even ran over Brockman for a layup and sent him flying. Bad call I think, but as representative as anything of the change in who were the aggressors in this game. Played through the garbagetime and picked up most of his boards at that time.

Udoka ( INC ) -- brief first half stint.

Nocioni ( INC ) -- grabbed a d-board and then picked from behind, inexplicably decided to elbow Amare on a jump ball to get a technical foul (whihc might have been cool or funny if it had not been so random). 3 boards, only 1 shot, and fewer than 6 minutes.

Rodriguez ( B- ) -- in and turned it over, got an open court foul banging into Dragic. Not much while the game was on. Back in with us down 29 in the third and hit a little jumper. Then a turnover on the bad pass. 1 of 2 FTs, but snuck in tio gran the o-reb andf set up May. Turned it over to close the 3rd dribbling it off a Suns foot. Little jumper in garbagetime, a few forces, then a nice behind the back full speed pass on the break to Donete for the +1 to get it to 19. Late layup to make it 12. Again put u some nubers off the bench and chased the lead down a bit, but far too many turnovers and not nearly the punch of some of these he has engineered.

May ( B- ) -- mostly garbagetime numbers here, so always hard to grade properly. Took a charge in the early 4th to give us a chance to get under 20, which we failed. Missed his midrange jumper. Got a layup +1 on the break. Good o-reb and layup. All of it came after the game was over however.

Notes: Westphal picked up a technical foul at the end of the first quarter, probably more about the reke situation and our general crappy play than for any single call. OUr reputation for comebacks, and maybe Reke's big run the other night seems to have caught the Suns' attention, as all it took was us getting it to 17 down midway through the 4th for them to bring back first Amare, then Nash, and finally most of the starters. We stuck with the backups and were just playing it out, but they wanted to leave no opening for any heroics.

Last edited:
Ever since Martin came back, I feel like we've reverted back to that 17 win team again. Before we were always competitive regardless of the competition, now we are getting blown out at home.

Gary

All-Star
Ever since Martin came back, I feel like we've reverted back to that 17 win team again. Before we were always competitive regardless of the competition, now we are getting blown out at home.
Yep.. I would rather see the Kings win than have my favorite player screw things up.. For all I care he could leave now.

Keep Evans, Garcia, Beno, Greene, Casspi, Hawes, Thompson and Sergio and throw the rest in the garbage. There is no value in the other players so might as well just give them away... It's better than taking in salary.

Then in a year when we figure out if Thompson or Hawes can get with the times we either extend them or toss them in the garbage too.

The "genius" named Petrie is really looking like an idiot right now for putting together this trash team. How long have we been out of contention? How long does it friggin take to rebuild a team to at least mediocrity. Petrie has to go.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yep.. I would rather see the Kings win than have my favorite player screw things up.. For all I care he could leave now.

Keep Evans, Garcia, Beno, Greene, Casspi, Hawes, Thompson and Sergio and throw the rest in the garbage. There is no value in the other players so might as well just give them away... It's better than taking in salary.

Then in a year when we figure out if Thompson or Hawes can get with the times we either extend them or toss them in the garbage too.

The "genius" named Petrie is really looking like an idiot right now for putting together this trash team. How long have we been out of contention? How long does it friggin take to rebuild a team to at least mediocrity. Petrie has to go.
I know we're all fustrated, but thats bull****. He has added a lot of young talent to this team. You have to wait until the trade deadline and this upcoming offseason to see what moves Petire will make.

Just because you would like it to, doesn't mean this roster will change overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure if you have a theme in mind, or even the inclination to do one, but for some reason I thought of place settings to honor us serving up the Suns a nice little win...

This is not fun.

:(
Worst natural disasters of all time. Help put everything into perspective.

I know we're all fustrated, but thats bull****. He has added a lot of young talent to this team. You have to wait until the trade deadline and this upcoming offseason to see what moves Petire will make.

Just because you would like it to, doesn't mean this roster will change overnight.
This team would have at least one ring if Webber's knee didn't blow out, and then how would he look? I'll give the guy a little while longer, but he's got to show me something with some of the room he has right now. If he lets KT's expiring deal expire, in this economy with teams trying to position themselves for the free agents this offseason, I will be super pissed. The Kings have no hope of landing guys like Bosh, but the teams who do have that chance or those that need to shed salary really value that cap relief.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Because drafting Evans and Casspi, picking up Donte Greene (which is now starting to look like a freaking ingenious move), and drafting a couple of serviceable big men who were the best available at their position on the draft board (who the hell should we have picked instead? Anthony Randolph? He'd sure help our front line, if by help you mean get eaten by Dwight Howard for breakfast).:rolleyes:
The point is rebuilding is a long and arduous road, especially when the reason you had to rebuild is because your previous superstar had his knee explode (If Tim Duncan blew out his knee, the Spurs would probably suffer a long fall from grace just like us...just saying) and you then traded him to go for the team concept (Detroit Pistons concept). Couple that with your bosses trading for a nutcase without your full consent and firing your Hall of Fame Head Coach and replacing him with a nimrod who got his job based on a slideshow, followed in succession by said coach getting drunk and arrested,firing said coach and replacing him with a megalomaniaical snappy dresser who really had little idea what he was doing, fire him and replace him with a complete doofus who probably couldn't spell his own name let alone coach a basketball game, and you've got a tough cliff to ascend. I'd like to see anyone else do better.

This team is looking more and more like a collection of semi good players that do not mesh. Tyreke is a good player, may become a great player, but who else on this team is destined for greatness. I have often said that I thought Petrie was a great GM, but the more I look at the players he has drafted, the more I see that they all are lacking something vital to compete and be successful in the league. I sure hope things turn around soon, because watching games like this one is a real bummer.

There is NO excitement in this lineup. No player that stands out and gives you hope that this team can turn things around. Petrie needs to make a trade to shake this roster up and really get things going because this team is committing the ultimate pro basketball sin. They are MEDIOCRE! and Mediocrity is not worth paying to see. Mediocre will not bring more fans to the arena. It just isn't good basketball to watch. It is getting harder and harder to get excited to watch them on TV! I hope that Petrie has a plan.

I know these players are young, but youth should be exciting! I have not seen any excitement in these players since the first month of the season. Everyone just gets a C for this game except maybe Martin who gets another F.Martin seems to be trying to play himself off of this team. HE IS THE PLAYER WHO IS COASTING THAT WESTPHAL SPOKE OF. Nocconi is also a coaster. Tonight, we saw a team that really just got outclassed in the first quarter, and then just kinda went through the motions the rest of the game. It never looked like the Kings were in the game. It was boring to watch...

A

AriesMar27

petrie is horrible at planning things ahead of time... he resigns beno to a fat contract then drafts evans to play pg and trades for sergio as a third pg when we dont even have 2 centers or 2 pf's... so what does he do? signs sean may.... wow... we have nocioni,greene and garcia signed to long term deals and he drafts casspi... i like casspi but we have way to many players at his position.

pretty good at drafting, bad at everything else.... how long are we going to give him props for what he did back in 1999? its 2010... 2010 people...

They were 2-8 before Martin came back. It started 2 weeks before his return.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This team is looking more and more like a collection of semi good players that do not mesh. Tyreke is a good player, may become a great player, but who else on this team is destined for greatness. I have often said that I thought Petrie was a great GM, but the more I look at the players he has drafted, the more I see that they all are lacking something vital to compete and be successful in the league. I sure hope things turn around soon, because watching games like this one is a real bummer.

There is NO excitement in this lineup. No player that stands out and gives you hope that this team can turn things around. Petrie needs to make a trade to shake this roster up and really get things going because this team is committing the ultimate pro basketball sin. They are MEDIOCRE! and Mediocrity is not worth paying to see. Mediocre will not bring more fans to the arena. It just isn't good basketball to watch. It is getting harder and harder to get excited to watch them on TV! I hope that Petrie has a plan.

I know these players are young, but youth should be exciting! I have not seen any excitement in these players since the first month of the season. Everyone just gets a C for this game except maybe Martin who gets another F.Martin seems to be trying to play himself off of this team. HE IS THE PLAYER WHO IS COASTING THAT WESTPHAL SPOKE OF. Nocconi is also a coaster. Tonight, we saw a team that really just got outclassed in the first quarter, and then just kinda went through the motions the rest of the game. It never looked like the Kings were in the game. It was boring to watch...

Gee... This post most definitely contradicts your signature.

Just for clarification, what exactly is your definition of exciting? Just because a team doesn't try to make Sportscenter with each play doesn't mean their not exciting (exciting plays don't exactly equal good basketball, ask Sergio).

Bricklayer

They were 2-8 before Martin came back. It started 2 weeks before his return.

That's a load of horse manure. There were 2-8 playing fun competiive basketball against the league's top teams. This current team bears NO resemblance to that team whatsoever. And that allegedly shorthanded team would wipe the floor with this dispirited bunch.

L

LWP777

I just can't believe that we went from one of the most exciting, up-and-coming teams the first part of the year to this. It was really cool to see the team compete each and every night and never give up. Now they don't even play hard. It's very sad. We left Arco tonight in the 3rd quarter it was so bad. 3rd quarter!

how is being 2-8 fun, competitive basketball? and both wins were against denver...

Competitive as in they were in all those games and had chances to win, as opposed to getting blown out on their home court. I went to the last home game against the Suns before this one, there was a big difference in play. And the Suns have the exact same team as they did a few weeks ago.

A

AriesMar27

Competitive as in they were in all those games and had chances to win, as opposed to getting blown out on their home court. I went to the last home game against the Suns before this one, there was a big difference in play. And the Suns have the exact same team as they did a few weeks ago.
the only real difference in the 2 games against the suns was that we outscored them in the 3rd quarter in the first game.

the suns scored 34-29-25-25 for 113 points in the first game and scored 39-27-30-18 for 114 tonight... the only difference was that we scored 7 more points in the 1st game... they dont play defense so if our shots go in we dont look as bad... they played just as well this time out as last time.

Bricklayer

didnt we get blown out by orlando by like 21 points at home in one of those competative games?

That too is a load of horse manure.

We LED the Orlando Magic, Finals team last year, going into the 4th quarter a real fun game. We were in position to win. Crowd was going wild. Then we collapsed in the 4th.

Has absolutely nothing to do with this current group or the somnalent crowd sitting up there watching half the team sleepwalk through the game.

I keep going back and forth on this whole situation. On the one hand the team has been bad, and Kevin's on a good contract, so I think we should just let this play out, but on the other hand...yikes was this game ugly.

I also have a hard time believing he's that much of a cancer that could completely eat away at the energy and drive on this team, but the play really speaks for itself. Something needs to change.

We had an epic collapse against Golden State too. But I'll reaffirm the obvious that Kevin Martin has not made the team better. Only reason to play him now is to showcase him for a trade. Hope he doesn't pull a Noc and hurt his trade value with his play more than benching him would.

the only real difference in the 2 games against the suns was that we outscored them in the 3rd quarter in the first game.

the suns scored 34-29-25-25 for 113 points in the first game and scored 39-27-30-18 for 114 tonight... the only difference was that we scored 7 more points in the 1st game... they dont play defense so if our shots go in we dont look as bad... they played just as well this time out as last time.

tonight looked worse than shots not going in. we didn't look like an nba team after the first 5 or so minutes. the team was sleepwalking.

A

AriesMar27

How is playing top teams into OT and nightly buzzer beaters not fun? To a fan of the team that is.
ugh... are you serious? so basically what you are saying is that we havent been fun or competitive since kwanza... the cavs and laker games were the very first 2 games of that horrible 2-8 record leading up to martins return. those games were fun, the nuggets win was nice, then 2010 came and all of that was over. well we lost to philly 12/30 but thats besides the point.

didnt we get blown out by orlando by like 21 points at home in one of those competative games?

You know what I mean, competitive for the most part. Wasn't Orlando in stinkin NBA Finals last year? Isn't Orlando a contender again this year too??? I think that means they are one of the top teams in the league right? :)

A

AriesMar27

You know what I mean, competitive for the most part. Wasn't Orlando in stinkin NBA Finals last year? Isn't Orlando a contender again this year too??? I think that means they are one of the top teams in the league right? :)
but they lost... somebody had to go for the east... and didnt they only win 1 game? how is it that we get blown out by the magic but go to double OT with the defending champs?

dude we suck...

Status
Not open for further replies.