Grades v. Rockets 02/11

Which player did you most enjoy watching in the first half of the season?

• Kevin Martin

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Jason Thompson

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • Spencer Hawes

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Bobby Jackson

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • John Salmons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Francisco Garcia

• Someone else

• Guys on the other team

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Egads! Are these really all our options?

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok then...11-43 for the first half. That's impressive. 1-13 in our last 14. 3-19 since the new year. 4-19 since Kevin's return and we got healthy (Brad's absence these last few excepted).

In honor of these achievements, as well as the upcoming Valentine's Day, as promised for our long suffering female fans I will attempt a Pretty Boys...and a Girl...and a Farm Animal theme...except that somebody suggested that I should make it a sea animal, and since it is for the ladies, I thought what better sea animal to use than a sea kitten, which then of course got me thinking land kittens...so Pretty Boys...and a Girl...and Cute Little Kittens. No female worth her estrogen should be able to complain about such a combo.

Alright, here we go -- since women have such incredibly varied tastes in men as to essentially have no tastes in men at all (heck, there have even been women who found me attractive) I have decided to throw in one guy of as many different types as I can fit. And a girl. And cute kittens. Too bad Natt doesn't actually play the kids on his bench in blowouts or I could have fit a few more.

Salmons ( D- ) -- given another atomic you are not worthy wedgie courtesy of Ron Artest, but unlike the slaughter in preseason, this one took a while to develop and was at least competitive for a while. Competitive on defense that is, where in the early going neither guy could get anything going on the other, and John did a good job fighting Artest's superior power in the post. But while Artest and Battier took turns battering John, on the other end Artest woke up and began to slowly grind his way into the game offensively and bomb in threes . And somewhere along the line there John just said screw it and decided to get an early jump on the All Star break vacation, turning what had been an ugly scrap into an equally ugly rout. When their #2 scorer gives them 19, and your #2 scorer gives you 2...not a great forumula for winning. Nor were the Rockets going to allow any of that John as passer stuff either as our offense collapsed right along wiht John in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Surfer Dude: Bruce Irons -- the rock star of the surfer world, or so says his bio.

Thompson ( B- ) -- got off to the very strong start carrying us in the early going while being aggressive on offense, and in control aggressive. Not scramble plays, but rather post moves, turnaround jumprs, and just took it at whoever he found guarding him. Maybe got overconfident, as in the second quarter he started challenging even when he should not as the Rockets squeezed the life out of our offense. And then of course inevitably came the foul trouble from hammering on Yao in there that pretty much finished him. Became the foul parade again as a constant distraction, and Jason needs to start working on that. Meanwhile, he quit scoring after the first, and got outscrapped and lost the board battle badly to Scola. Disappointing how this one turned out given the way it had started for Jason.

Rocker Guy/Bad Boy: Anthony Kiedis -- of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Never even occurred to me he was thought of as hot until I typed in the search terms, although I had long ago noted the unusual non-heroin addict build for a rocker.

Hawes ( B- ) -- overwhelmed by Yao in the early going, and was just trying to stand behind him with no other defensive plan. Works fine if the guy you are guarding is 6 inches shorter than you. Works not at all when he's 6 inches taller than you. In fact Spencer really might have done the worst job of guarding Yao of any of our bigs tonight, despite being the only one of them tall enough to be able to lick his nipples. Better in the second quarter after returning, was doing his defenisve work earlier rather than waiting to be squashed, and at least grabbed some boards and made some passes when the offense ran through him. Dropped a great move on Yao in the third, a 360 spin to the up and under Yao's arm -- always has those things, just needs to figure out how to use that talent. Foul trouble along with Jason in the third did not cut his minutes much as Natt let him play through it. As an aside, Carl Landry is anice player and nice sparkplug poff the bench for the Rockets, but he's 6'7" and their is no way he whould be able to post Spencer up and go right through him for the hoop. Padded these stats up considerably in the garbagetime here and loses a tick or two here to reflect it -- at the end of three quarters the Rockets were up 19 with Yao having a 24pt 18reb night, and Spencer closer to an 8pt 5reb night.

Manly Man: Russel Crowe -- circa the Gladiator period in particular.

Martin ( C- ) -- shut down by Battier in the early going, and Battier used his size over him for rebounds as well (which he rarely does). Kevin was rarely even comfortable enough to take a shot, let alone make one. Began to get a little freer as the 3rd quarter ran down and get some points up in a variety fo ways, but by that point we were already down 20 and the game was over. Natt just went insane wiht the minutes tonight and had Kevin play basically the entire garbagetime as we mounted our "comeback" to make the final margin 12 rather than 20. Because you see Natt is beginning to develop Theusesque instincts about never saying never and clearing the bench, and about drawing up 16pt plays and calling pointless timeouts down a dozen points with 30 seconds to go and stuff. Little of the well rounded player tonight as in those 44 minutes chipped in an anemic 2rebs and 3ast, but do think there might have been some better defensive effort tonight, although it was hard to tell given the normal offensive incompetence of most of the guys Kevin had too guard.

Tall Dark and Handsome/Dark Goth Vampire: David Boreanz -- watch the hickies.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Udrih ( C ) -- was hitting his jumpers early and giving a reasonable defensive effort against the decidedly non-potent Rafer Alston. But never able to run the team at all in the face of the defensive pressure and was sitting at zero assists as halftime approached. No impact, and his minutes were curtailed a bit by BJax garbagetime heroing again. But only a bit, as Natt had him out there with Bobby at times as we smallballed despite getting crunched on the glass.

Awwww...

Williams ( C+ ) -- came in and used his stubby physicality to really battle Yao on defense of course, but mysteriously tried to take it at Yao the other way too, which was just ugly. Think maybe his recent success had briefly gone to his head and made him think he truly was a superstar. Battled on the glass, but came up with few of them with his twerpness on full dispay. Brad and Mikki may not be much, but Yao being guarded by Sheldon and Kenny is the cringeworthy result when they are out. Along with even more ridiculous twerp KT actually did a respectable job trying to push Yao away from his spots and make him uncomfortable on the catch.

Suave and Sophisticated: Pierce Brosnan -- I think a Britsh accent is near mandatory for this sort of thing.

Cisco ( C- ) -- completely empty first half stint -- could not hit his shots, and went scoreless as our offense collapsed in the second quarter (a lovely 10pt quarter once again giving an opposing team a "best of their season" record). Did better after returning in the third, providing some hustle type points, getting out on the break etc. Also had a careless 3 second call in the lane when we ran a strange offensive set with Cisco in the post and Sheldon above the 3pt line in an apparent attempt to clear Yao out of there. Despite us being mauled inside, was once again Natt's smallball call at PF for long stretches here (you may note the 1-13 record of late with that wonderful strategy), and even what anemic numbers he got were padded up in the garbagetime after Rick had called off the big boys and was sitting Yao and Scola.

Misa Campo -- Finally a girl!

Bobby ( B+ ) -- okay, and so here we went again and I am still not sure what to make of these. Had a physical mismatch against Aaron Williams while the game was still on and was trying to be a physical factor. Trying, and failing, and unable to do much against the Rockets physical frontline. But then the garbagetime hit and ta da! Garbagetime superhero again. think he had all 15 of his points this time in the 4th, bombing in big threes, picking the pocket of Brooks for breakaway steals, outhustling the rockets etc. in kind of a parody of what he used to do back in his prime to actually win close games, rather than jsut pad up already lost ones. the push he made was strong enough that he actually forced rock to put Yao bakc inot the game for the final 3 minutes after he had shut him down at the end of the 3rd quarter and jsut tried to play out the sting and let us do the same. So that's good right? Or...pointless? And how much of it is just a question of playing harder than guys who already have the game won. So...again, thanks for the hustle I guess Bobby. Would you mind bringing it while the game is still in question next time? Oh, and telling your idiot coach to let the kids play these garabge minutes next time?

Baby Blue Eyes: Paul Newman -- well, not so blue in this shot.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Thomas ( INC ) -- brought in in place of Sheldon...to guard Yao Ming. I do not jest. Next up Natt was going to put Sneezy on him. Bounced around trying to make it hard to pass it to him but really now.

The Artsy Fartsy/ Gay Drunk Pirate: Johnny Depp -- it occurs to me that I may have used him for some thread in a past year as I distinctly recall this picture, but oh well, he fills that critical gay drunk pirate niche in the female palette.

Natt ( ) -- um...yeah

The dude with the six pack (and how): TJ Hodan

Cute to us, the face of death if you are a bird or small rodent. Its all a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
I have to say, Kenny Natt is TERRIBLE! With a capitol TERRIBLE. Since we are shooting for the #1 overall pick this year it's great to have him as coach but man... Just awfull. Can someone please explain, (you won't be able to) why even in games we are getting blown out and some vets are playing with no heart he continues to give minutes to them and not Donte, Brown, and others? I swear, I can watch Kings this year to evaluate talent but to watch Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller, and Mikki Moore too much longer I may have to re-think my rational in watching.

On a comletely different note. I can't stand it when Grant and Jerry constantly get down on rooks for dumb mistakes then when a vet (Brad, Mikki, Jackson) make mistakes you get nothing from them. I have never really liked Grant but used to like Jerry. Jerry, however, now is really starting to be finger nails on a chalk board when he talks.

All around just in a bad mood this Kings year.

I have to say, Kenny Natt is TERRIBLE! With a capitol TERRIBLE. Since we are shooting for the #1 overall pick this year it's great to have him as coach but man... Just awfull. Can someone please explain, (you won't be able to) why even in games we are getting blown out and some vets are playing with no heart he continues to give minutes to them and not Donte, Brown, and others? I swear, I can watch Kings this year to evaluate talent but to watch Bobby Jackson, Brad Miller, and Mikki Moore too much longer I may have to re-think my rational in watching.

On a comletely different note. I can't stand it when Grant and Jerry constantly get down on rooks for dumb mistakes then when a vet (Brad, Mikki, Jackson) make mistakes you get nothing from them. I have never really liked Grant but used to like Jerry. Jerry, however, now is really starting to be finger nails on a chalk board when he talks.

What I can't stand is when the game is going on, their talking about some **** that doesn't even involve the Kings. Then they don't even tell you what happens when the action stops like was there a foul or who was called for the foul. Then there's the producer who cuts away from the action to some basket from 4 mins ago, and when they come back you've missed a whole possession.

I know it must be hard to comment on one loss after another, but we're there to watch the game and not Jerry's exercise routine.

I think it's hard to say Theus or Natt were terrible coaches considering the team there coaching. Think about it....Kevin Martin is our best player. He isn't even an all star. I can bet that if Phil Jackson, Popovich or Sloan was running this team, we wouldn't have that much better of a record and everyone would want to fire those guys as well. I want one of our coaches to have a decent team with decent players before we can make that judgement.

I think it's hard to say Theus or Natt were terrible coaches considering the team there coaching. Think about it....Kevin Martin is our best player. He isn't even an all star. I can bet that if Phil Jackson, Popovich or Sloan was running this team, we wouldn't have that much better of a record and everyone would want to fire those guys as well. I want one of our coaches to have a decent team with decent players before we can make that judgement.
I agree with you to an extent, but when you see a team getting blown out, playing with no heart, making stupid mistakes & turnovers, playing absolutely NO defense, and having terrible terrible habbits repeated over and over again... Well, you get my point. To top it all off you get stuff like bad substitution patterns and bad play calling. Wow... Like I said, you give me young guys playing for the future, I'll watch even if they are losing by 20. You give me vets and there is no way I'll sit and watch them lose by 20.

But here's the difference, if those guys were running this team... The Kings would have at least 5-8 more wins simply based on effort and gameplan alone.

Those coaches wouldn't allow half-hearted play and they also wouldn't draw up game-winning shots for Quincy Douby.

Misa Campo -- Finally a girl!

I think after the next loss, we should devote an ENTIRE thread to her, and her alone. After all, if you do an image search of her online, there are ALOT more revealing pictures of her. And as Kings fans, we must do anything possible to offset the losses! :D

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I think after the next loss, we should devote an ENTIRE thread to her, and her alone. After all, if you do an image search of her online, there are ALOT more revealing pictures of her. And as Kings fans, we must do anything possible to offset the losses! :D

If you want revealing then I suggest those are the sites to visit. Remember, this is a FAMILY SITE. Brick works very hard to find pictures that are tantalizing to some while not being upsetting to the parents of children who watch and learn from us. Accept a happy medium please. Thanks!

BTW, the clash4u5, this comment was not meant directly to you. It just seemed like a good time/opportunity to send this reminder to our members.

Last edited:
If you want revealing then I suggest those are the sites to visit. Remember, this is a FAMILY SITE. Brick works very hard to find pictures that are tantalizing to some while not being upsetting to the parents of children who watch and learn from us. Accept a happy medium please. Thanks!

BTW, the clash4u5, this comment was not meant directly to you. It just seemed like a good time/opportunity to send this reminder to our members.
It was just a joke, really.. :(

They could start charging 4.99 and verifying ages for the access to the grades threads..... I'm just saying :D

i hope there will be a full thread for her.
proud to be a filipino.....lets get it on.....

I'm on to Natt. He's saving Donte for the playoffs!

Did anyone else see Kenny Thomas walk off the court after his short stint, and completely ignore assistant coach Randy Brown who walked up to him and extended a hand for a hand slap that never came? Poor Randy wasn't even successful at making eye contact. Well, guess I can't blame Kenny...

I agree with a previous poster about players making the same mistakes over and over...and over. I bet the other teams' scouts are just making xerox copies of their previous notes. "Ok, Beno will drive to the basket...only if there's at least 4 players blocking his path. Salmons will dribble, dribble and dribble then...shoot. Garcia will shoot a 3..but only if there's at least 22-24 seconds left on the clock. Mikki will scream and terrorize our guards with gang signs if he dunks on them (update: if he gets in the game)."

:)

Misa is very hot and a huge hockey fan !! Boys cannot ask for more!!!! :)

i hope there will be a full thread for her.
proud to be a filipino.....lets get it on.....
She is Filipino-!!! German !!! .... You cannot make this kind of beauty without our addition .. haha ))))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.