Grade our Off-season so far

What would you Grade our off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • B

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • D

Votes: 45 31.9%
  • F

Votes: 16 11.3%

• Total voters
^^ True, but I think the Kings are right in the mix with every team in the west except Dallas, San Antonio and Phoenix. All the other teams like the Clippers, Grizzlies, Nuggets, and Lakers didn't really do much to improve either.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
True, but I think the Kings are right in the mix with every team in the west except Dallas, San Antonio and Phoenix. All the other teams like the Clippers, Grizzlies, Nuggets, and Lakers didn't really do much to improve either.
That's not actually true -- not sure why people keep saying that.

Memphis, sure -- whether they had a good or bad offseason all depends on Rudy Gay. If he's a stud, they improved. If he's a dud, they did not and may have even regressed.

But the Lakers = added Radmanovic. Player of significance.
The Clippers = get back a healthy Corey Maggette, which could be huge. 20ppg scorer who played in only 32 games last year.
The Nuggets = get back Nene to restore the frontline and added J.R. Smith to plug the OG hole.

I don't think any of those teams made moves to make them contenders, but they all are gaining more than they lost. Not to mention Houston (getting TMac back, + Battier), Minnesota (Mike James + Randy Foye), Golden State (Don Nelson), Utah (get Boozer for a full season after only 31 games, add Fisher for PG help), Phoenix (Amare is back, + Marcus Banks), and New Orleans (Peja + Chandler).

Gonna be tough.

Memphis, sure -- whether they had a good or bad offseason all depends on Rudy Gay. If he's a stud, they improved. If he's a dud, they did not and may have even regressed.

The Clippers = get back a healthy Corey Maggette, which could be huge. 20ppg scorer who played in only 32 games last year.
The Nuggets = get back Nene to restore the frontline and added J.R. Smith to plug the OG hole.

I don't think any of those teams made moves to make them contenders, but they all are gaining more than they lost. Not to mention Houston (getting TMac back, + Battier), Minnesota (Mike James + Randy Foye), Golden State (Don Nelson), Utah (get Boozer for a full season after only 31 games, add Fisher for PG help), Phoenix (Amare is back, + Marcus Banks), and New Orleans (Peja + Chandler).

Gonna be tough.
A lot of those "for a full season" guys are injury prone and you don't know how many games they'll play. Out of those teams the only ones I think really improved are GS, MN, and NO. I still don't think they'll be that good though.

A lot of those "for a full season" guys are injury prone and you don't know how many games they'll play. Out of those teams the only ones I think really improved are GS, MN, and NO. I still don't think they'll be that good though.
Until a player is actually injured is when you could say anything. For example, any body could say artest is trouble prone and will miss half the season thus the kings miss the season.

DaMan said:
I also think that GS did improve also. If Baron Davis plays for a whole season and with the signing of Nelson who is a great offense coach, which plays to the team's biggest strength. You could see the Warriors improve next season.
Well they did improve but BMiller52 mention they "REALLY" improved, and i'm not sure what they did that made them really improve Nellie is a good addition because the Warriors don't have tough players they usually have soft ones like Troy Murphy. Monty is getting alot of blame sometimes being the scapegoat can be the worst thing a person can taste as a human.

The Warriors improved enough to win more games then last year but enough to take them to the playoffs? no.

Gonna be tough.
I'm not sure how many of those additions are true impace players. There wasn't a lot of significant player movement this offseason.

Out of the big three you mention.

Lakers - How much of a big impact player Rad is can be debated. He can shoot, but doesn't play D or rebound

Clippers - If Maggette plays a full year he will help, but Cassell and Mobley aging will hurt.

Denver - Even if Nene stays healthy, he hasn't shown much beyond having potential even when he has played. And while Smith certainly has potential as well, he got burried on the Hornets bench and given away by the Bulls for peanuts. It's too early to say that he will fill their hole at SG.

With the exception of NO (players) and GS (coach), most team's improvement will be a combination of staying healthy (no suprise) and player development.

Comparing the Lakers and Kings as two examples, the real difference next season will be how Kwame/Sasha/Parker/Farmar develop versus Martin/Garcia/Salmons/Douby. If our four develop further than their four, Rad will not be enough to make them a better team than us.

A lot of those "for a full season" guys are injury prone and you don't know how many games they'll play.quote]

I agree. A lot of the players on Brick's list are simply injury prone players. Assuming players like TMac, Boozer and Nene will stay healthy is a big if. And even if some of the players on Brick's list do stay healthy, there are a lot players who could replace them in steet clothes without a fluke injury.

So even if Amare stays healthy, Nash could easily get injured again (he's old and has a history of injuries and playing in a running O doesn't help). If Maggette stays healthy, Cassell could easily spend most of the season hurt. Peja and BoJax are both risks for NO. Camby and Martin could take Nene's place. Baron Davis, Kirilenko, and now Gasol are among other stars who could easily significant time.

Yes we have plenty of our own questions marks (Artest's sanity included), but it's not as if the rest of the West is moving into perfect position to leave us behind.

I think Memphis is most likely to drop. They lost players in the off-season, are depending on a rookie to make up for that and will be missing Gasol for the first month most likely. What is Fratello's average tenure before he burns out with his players?

I also think that GS did improve also. If Baron Davis plays for a whole season and with the signing of Nelson who is a great offense coach, which plays to the team's biggest strength. You could see the Warriors improve next season.
They signed the wrong Nelson. The son Donnie is a much better prospective head coach at this time than Don. GS will not be going anywhere this next season either.

Why in the hell did we not sign Bonzi? If you are gonna overpay for anyone, overpay for the guy that played out of his mind - not some new guy who hasn't done a damn thing in this league

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Why in the hell did we not sign Bonzi? If you are gonna overpay for anyone, overpay for the guy that played out of his mind - not some new guy who hasn't done a damn thing in this league
Maybe because he wouldn't take the best offer available? You can't force someone to sign a contract, you know....

Gonna be tough.
I'll stick with my story. Other than than the T-Mac's and Amare's, nothing on that list is nearly as big as having Artest for a whole season instead of half. It's tempered a bit by losing 52 games of Bonzi, but not by that much, and as said by some above, a lot of those teams had their improvements tempered by losses.

When its all laid out like that I still think we are right there with any team but the clear top 3. We could be 4th or 10th in the West.

i am very dissapointed at the kings management. someone trade brad miller. we are not going to win a championship when our starting center has a 4 inch vertical. he's horrible. can't put the ball on the floor, no grace, no stability. a fart could knock him over. GET EM OUT OF HERE.

I'm not sure how many of those additions are true impace players. There wasn't a lot of significant player movement this offseason.

Out of the big three you mention.

Lakers - How much of a big impact player Rad is can be debated. He can shoot, but doesn't play D or rebound

Clippers - If Maggette plays a full year he will help, but Cassell and Mobley aging will hurt.

Denver - Even if Nene stays healthy, he hasn't shown much beyond having potential even when he has played. And while Smith certainly has potential as well, he got burried on the Hornets bench and given away by the Bulls for peanuts. It's too early to say that he will fill their hole at SG.

With the exception of NO (players) and GS (coach), most team's improvement will be a combination of staying healthy (no suprise) and player development.

Comparing the Lakers and Kings as two examples, the real difference next season will be how Kwame/Sasha/Parker/Farmar develop versus Martin/Garcia/Salmons/Douby. If our four develop further than their four, Rad will not be enough to make them a better team than us.
Its hard not to believe that Smith wont start making an impact in the league. He's shooting is a bit iffy, but hes got all the tools to become a great og. His development was hindered by Paul, and of course Scott. I'm sure hes got to grow up a bit, but its only a matter of time. Time the bulls i just dont think wanted to waste.

i am very dissapointed at the kings management. someone trade brad miller. we are not going to win a championship when our starting center has a 4 inch vertical. he's horrible. can't put the ball on the floor, no grace, no stability. a fart could knock him over. GET EM OUT OF HERE.
It's not his vertical, it's his toughness. The guy is a scarecrow and isn't physical at all. Earl Boykins could body him up and push him around. He's one of those people that is just extremely lucky he's 7' tall (like say, Gregg Ostertag) , because if he was 6'6" or 6'7" he wouldn't be tough enough to play college ball.

Donnie Nelson is a decent GM. To suggest that he is or will be a better coach than his father is ludicrous.
Donnie had major coaching duties with the Mavs while his father was there. Donnie was responsible for pretty much coaching the team in practice and making a lot of game day decisions. Don Nelson mentally checked out of coaching years ago...

Its hard not to believe that Smith wont start making an impact in the league. He's shooting is a bit iffy, but hes got all the tools to become a great og. His development was hindered by Paul, and of course Scott. I'm sure hes got to grow up a bit, but its only a matter of time. Time the bulls i just dont think wanted to waste.
I actually agree with you. However, I was responding more to the point that he would "plug the Nuggets hole at SG." He has a lot of upside and if he does have a good work ethic and good focus he should become a good player. However, he has been dumped by two teams and there's a strong chance that he will not be able to significantly contribute until next season.

BTW, let's not forget in NO, he did not simply get burried behind Paul. He completely fell out of favor with Byron Scott to the point he was stuck on the end of the bench.