[Game] Golden State Warriors (6) @ Sacramento Kings (3) (WCDS Game 7, 3-3) 4/30/2023 12:30pm Pacific 3:30pm Eastern (ABC)

On October 3, 2022, did you, in your wildest dreams, picture the Kings playing in a game 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Ability to extend Sabonis? I don't even see that as an issue. That's going to happen at this point and it's going to cost big time. The issue is once you extend him or re-sign him, how do you add TO HIM and Fox...
And I don't think that that's an issue. Again, I think that this comes down to where you see Fox and Sabonis' window as being. Barnes (presuming that McNair plays it smart) and Huerter's contracts will both be off the books by the time this team needs a third star. And, by that time, you'll know definitively whether Murray is/can be that guy.

The Kings are in a unique position with Murray: they have the luxury of developing him at a natural pace, without the burden of immediate expectations. Any big moves that McNair makes in the short term will get in the way of that.

You all do realize that age 25, Steph curry made his first all star game and was eliminated by the clippers in a first round game seven (unless I got the years off by a year). Not saying fox will be going on a curry like run, but a little perspective. We got a good one in fox and hopefully have a 5 to 10 year run in front of us.

the bottom line is we don’t really have cap space anyway. If you don’t sign Barnes you have 20 mil to work with but who can you sign? The best potential upgrades are restricted free agents. Cam Johnson was traded in the Durant deal, would the nets let him walk for nothing? Grant Williams hasn’t been great this year, is he worth the 80 mil dollar gamble? I guess I just don’t see any freeagent options that for sure make us better. It has to happen through internal improvement (Plenty of the guys can get better), trades and the draft. I’m looking at 3 year deals, contracts that could still be moveable.
I wouldn’t sign HB to a $80 mil/4 year contract. That contract would be unmovable. If we are looking to take the next step, we need players that step up in the playoffs and I think it is clear HB is not one of those players.

Get HB for $30 mil/2 years then I would re-sign him. He can be your starter at PF while you look for the long term answer. But, I wouldn’t commit 3 or 4 years of starter money to someone who has topped out as a player. We need someone with potential upside or a stronger 3 and D player.

And I don't think that that's an issue. Again, I think that this comes down to where you see Fox and Sabonis' window as being. Barnes (presuming that McNair plays it smart) and Huerter's contracts will both be off the books by the time this team needs a third star. And, by that time, you'll know definitively whether Murray is/can be that guy.

The Kings are in a unique position with Murray: they have the luxury of developing him at a natural pace, without the burden of immediate expectations. Any big moves that McNair makes in the short term will get in the way of that.
Yes, but that plan revolves around players crucial to what your team is going by the wayside and not getting any value in the end other than space. Here's the thing, flat out, once you start filling max slots on your roster it's very difficult to make straight line strides upward if you look at history. Heck, even the Kings own history. And I think Monte already was on the path of those big moves the day he traded what some wanted to be the starting over piece to win now around Fox. That was brought up in some article, I can't remember, I think was the Vivek Article that yes, Monte was stockpiling immediate returns, not long term gains to pull everything in and around Fox. It worked them up to near 50 wins, keep going whether that involves Murray or not. These possible decisions aren't painted with the same stroke IMO, I think each path has it's own values and risks. If they can add someone like LaVine while keeping some of those future options open whether that's youth or capspace? Absolutely consider it. As it is, it's very unlikely that Monte is going to be able to simply wait for a FA splash let alone when you also look at this teams history of doing that very thing. The recent downturn of teams like the Suns and Maves prove how easy it can be to stagnate in a league with more parity. Vlade tried make the splash a few times, and yes, that involved sacrificing draft capital and trade options to do it in the form of dumping Jason Thompson's contract (something Monte has somewhat done as well to get Huerter BTW which is another thing to consider) but so many factors like RFA status have their say. Including on one Zach LaVine when Vlade tried that one.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
LOL, not sure if this is a joke but because you're not looking at the reason. I'm talking about assigning value to ancillary pieces to your roster and then watching them hamper your cap space.
Barnes has actually had a net positive impact on winning basketball teams, here and elsewhere. He provided invaluable leadership for a team that was in sore need of it and was frequently a steadying force during the regular season, when the moment got too big for the young Kings. Even today, before the game got completely out of hand, he got involved and made positive things happen on the offensive end, and tried to keep the ship afloat when the rest of the team came out flat-footed. That's not an "ancillary piece" in my personal record book. Thompson, by comparison, provided none of those things, but his only real sin was being just a little bit better than all the stiffs they tried to replace him with. They both played forward for the Kings, and that's pretty much where the similarities end. No need to even invoke his name.

This all goes together. Would "Richaun Holmes" vibes, or "Kenny Thomas" vibes be more appropriate?
No. Absolutely not. No disrespect to Richaun Holmes, but his contributions and Harrison Barnes' contributions to the Kings are not comparable.

I wouldn’t sign HB to a $80 mil/4 year contract. That contract would be unmovable. If we are looking to take the next step, we need players that step up in the playoffs and I think it is clear HB is not one of those players.

Get HB for $30 mil/2 years then I would re-sign him. He can be your starter at PF while you look for the long term answer. But, I wouldn’t commit 3 or 4 years of starter money to someone who has topped out as a player. We need someone with potential upside or a stronger 3 and D player.
Yeah, if the Kings are looking at overpaying for a F I would just give Grant what he wants at this point. Grant probably doesn't have much more impact but he would certainly relieve some pressure on Fox to carry the offense.

I brought up HB because so many of you already casting him out. SO quickly forgetting who all these players had voiced about HB's presence in the locker room. The even-keel demeanor. The pre-Playoffs speech he gave at the dinner reminded our younger roster to not take this moment for granted and don't act like we are just happy to be here but go out and perform like we belong here.

This is why I just laughed at the face of someone here earlier who said he "spoke the truth" when he had absolutely no idea outside of his own eye test.
It's not that I don't think HB is not a good player. He is solid. But for the Kings to go to another level, they can't stick with the same lineup. I feel like HB has max out his ceiling. Just look at today's game...Barnes doesn't have any rebound, assist, blocks, steal...how can you be a starter and not even contribute anything on that area? He doesn't have much impact on the team defense and his size and length doesn't intimidate anybody. The Kings...because how the roster is designed with Sabonis not super tall...and so it is important to add length to the lineup and the only two positions you can do that is Huerter and Barnes. I said Barnes is a reasonable position to upgrade. Is there someone out there that is better than Barnes? Who knows.

Also understand that not every Playoffs team is GS that the Kings have to face. What if we get Nuggets and Jokic...how do you deal with a player of that size? Or Ayton? Adding length to the roster is the right way to upgrade. I just know throughout the regular season, Kings have a problem against teams with size.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super disappointing ending to an incredible season, but if this is the beginning of several years of the Kings being a playoff team, I'm happy.

Fox is right. Teams can sometimes make a jump up and then fall off, or they can continue to build. I hope the Kings continue to build.

This was hands down one of the most fun seasons for me as a Kings fan. I don't have it in me to be upset at the team, the players, the coaching staff, or the front office. I hope next year is just as fun. And hopefully with some postseason success.

I think one of the things that people make mistakes on when analyzing Sacramento is that they are defining them based on this series. This one series does not define what the team is or will be. Each series will present different matchup issues. We just happened to go up against a team where our offense couldn’t enforce its will on their team as they were also a high scoring team.

Fox is a stud
Domas is a stud.
Keegan has star potential.
Monk is a force off the bench
Davion is a stopper
Lyles, Huerter and others bring things that had this team win over 50 games including playoffs

We just need to be able to add some pieces where when we have matchup problems, Brown can play these role players to get wins…..kind of what they did with Kessler Edwards

OR……..

Monte swings for the fences in another giant move like the Domas trade.

The good news is this team and roster just added a ton of playoff experience which is invaluable. Good things are coming down the pike.

Barnes has actually had a net positive impact on winning basketball teams, here and elsewhere. He provided invaluable leadership for a team that was in sore need of it and was frequently a steadying force during the regular season, when the moment got too big for the young Kings. Even today, before the game got completely out of hand, he got involved and made positive things happen on the offensive end, and tried to keep the ship afloat when the rest of the team came out flat-footed. That's not an "ancillary piece" in my personal record book. Thompson, by comparison, provided none of those things, but his only real sin was being just a little bit better than all the stiffs they tried to replace him with. They both played forward for the Kings, and that's pretty much where the similarities end. No need to even invoke his name.

No. Absolutely not. No disrespect to Richaun Holmes, but his contributions and Harrison Barnes' contributions to the Kings are not comparable.

What does Barnes have to do with this? I'm not advocating for anything to do with Barnes other than the possibility that Monte could potential KEEP Barnes AND make a huge star trade if Barnes were willing to play along. JT was an anchor, period. Had to attach draft capital to him to create space. That's not a debate. Lyles is a solid player. TD is. So is Holmes. So was JT. Doesn't matter, where they sit relative to role and cost at this stage of a teams development is cap glue. You move the needle at the top your rotation, not the back.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yes, but that plan revolves around players crucial to what your team is going by the wayside and not getting any value in the end other than space. Here's the thing, flat out, once you start filling max slots on your roster it's very difficult to make straight line strides upward if you look at history...
Time will tell, I suppose. I think that you underestimate the value of an expiring contract to a team trying to offload a disgruntled star.

2 for 30 won’t get it done. He averaged 15 points a game for a playoff team and played all 82. It’s going to take 3 years and around 20 mil is my guess. If we replace him, who do you have in mind that is a realistic option?

I think the HB question is going to be the biggest decision for Monte. HB is super valuable but I don’t think they can afford to give him $20 mill per year AND take a step forward.
The question also is what does letting him go do? What happens to Barnes has everything to do with what Monte plans to do. If Monte truly feels that this team is just experience away, that's a path. A path that limits your ability to let a player like Barnes go for sure though. Vezenkov is another huge question mark but Monte seems like a pretty good judge of talent so if he thinks Sasha is that piece, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
What does Barnes have to do with this? I'm not advocating for anything to do with Barnes other than the possibility that Monte could potential KEEP Barnes AND make a huge star trade if Barnes were willing to play along. JT was an anchor, period. Had to attach draft capital to him to create space. That's not a debate. Lyles is a solid player. TD is. So is Holmes. So was JT. Doesn't matter, where they sit relative to role and cost at this stage of a teams development is cap glue. You move the needle at the top your rotation, not the back.
You called Barnes an "ancillary piece," and compared him to the "ancillary piece" that was Jason Thompson. That's what Barnes has to do with this.

Super disappointing ending to an incredible season, but if this is the beginning of several years of the Kings being a playoff team, I'm happy.

Fox is right. Teams can sometimes make a jump up and then fall off, or they can continue to build. I hope the Kings continue to build.

This was hands down one of the most fun seasons for me as a Kings fan. I don't have it in me to be upset at the team, the players, the coaching staff, or the front office. I hope next year is just as fun. And hopefully with some postseason success.
I agreed, despite the lost...I hope the Kings continue to build toward a trend of making the Playoffs every year. At the same time, I am also looking forward to roster upgrade for next year...beside Fox, Sabonis, Murray, Mitchell and Monk and possibly Trey Lyle...I feel anybody else can be traded for an upgrade. If the Kings can get a superstar somehow...you know like Lavine, Beal....then it's going to be even more fun next year.

Time will tell, I suppose. I think that you underestimate the value of an expiring contract to a team trying to offload a disgruntled star.
Perhaps, but once that Amare bubble burst back in the day I noticed that expiring contracts seemed to kind of lose their luster. These days teams want picks. A lot of them and ones in years in a land and time, far, far away, haha.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think the HB question is going to be the biggest decision for Monte. HB is super valuable but I don’t think they can afford to give him $20 mill per year AND take a step forward.
Okay, but what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is why are Kings Fans creating this false ultimatum where they're acting like the starting point on a new Barnes contract is $20M/yr? It's like some of y'all have created this imaginary cap-killing salary number, just so that you can argue against it. I think that most reasonable people would agree that it would be a bad idea to re-sign Barnes for that much money, unless it was a 1-2/year deal, with a team option... I just don't know why anyone would assume that he'd ask for that much?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Perhaps, but once that Amare bubble burst back in the day I noticed that expiring contracts seemed to kind of lose their luster. These days teams want picks. A lot of them and ones in years in a land and time, far, far away, haha.
And I think it's just as likely that the failure of the Gobert trade, and the impending failure of the Durant trade may lead to some level of course correction.

You called Barnes an "ancillary piece," and compared him to the "ancillary piece" that was Jason Thompson. That's what Barnes has to do with this.

No I didn't, I said Jason Thompson was. And I was mostly referring to the idea of "running it back" because "you can't let solid role players go". Personally I would put Lyles in that spot, Metu, TD, unless Monte is deadset on this going for round 2 as is. Then there's really no reason not to. If you read my other posts about Barnes in particular I'm sure you can see that I think it's higher in the rotation than the back as I said. However, even Barnes, if he's an impediment to getting to that next level, it is what it is. I'll make it clear, I think Monte can keep Barnes if Harrison is willing to help Harden style with a smaller initial deal, AND make that next move. The opportunity could be there to have cake and eat it too.

Okay, but what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is why are Kings Fans creating this false ultimatum where they're acting like the starting point on a new Barnes contract is $20M/yr? It's like some of y'all have created this imaginary cap-killing salary number, just so that you can argue against it. I think that most reasonable people would agree that it would be a bad idea to re-sign Barnes for that much money, unless it was a 1-2/year deal, with a team option... I just don't know why anyone would assume that he'd ask for that much?
6’8 wings who average 15 points a game, are durable, above average from 3 and get to the line at an elite rate do not come cheap. Bogi is a back up 2, the same age as Barnes, injury prone and got 17 mil per for 4 years. I’d think a 3 for $54 deal is the floor of what Barnes can expect from a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.