[Game] Golden State Warriors (6) @ Sacramento Kings (3) (WCDS Game 7, 3-3) 4/30/2023 12:30pm Pacific 3:30pm Eastern (ABC)

On October 3, 2022, did you, in your wildest dreams, picture the Kings playing in a game 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We can draft a player using our 1st.. then trade him to the other team. It would have to be a draft-day trade, although I'm not sure if there's any legal ramifications on having an agreement beforehand.
There's no legal ramifications but if the player the team you agree in principal with sees their target come off the board one pick before we go, then they probably say "thanks but no thanks".

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Thanks . Couldn’t remember the rules after they traded that 1 for Huerter
I'm all on board with trading the pick along with Richaun if it brings the right player back. Same with an HB sign and trade if he does not want to come off the bench next year (if he earns starting minutes so be it, but I don't think we can afford to guarantee that spot).

yeh taking the defending champions to 7 games in their first year in the playoffs in 16 years is the definition of lowered ceiling
And to think, if a couple things ended different on the last day of the season we play either the pelicans or clippers in the first round. This series has been awesome and a ton of fun, but I would have rather gotten a ho hum first round win against New Orleans. We impressed the nation in this series, but had to do it at the expense of the second round.

Ew @ Zach Lavine. Im not sure i want an iso kind of player on this team that doesn't defend
Here's the thing though. What is the crux of the Kings defensive issues? Strategy? Personnel? A little of side A, side B? If it's personnel then adjusments to the roster most certainly have to include a 3 star combo so they can slide 3 and D guys in. Right now sliding 3 and D guys involves also rejecting the offense that got you here.

I'm all on board with trading the pick along with Richaun if it brings the right player back. Same with an HB sign and trade if he does not want to come off the bench next year (if he earns starting minutes so be it, but I don't think we can afford to guarantee that spot).
We can't afford to guarantee that spot, but I'm not sure who else we could get that's not a RFA and thus brings a huge possibility of their teams matching.

The Warriors adjusted to the small ball lineup though/Draymond wasn't in foul trouble so he could play center in their lineups more. Sabonis was absolutely killing the Warriors in the first half before they adjusted there again. Also as much as I love Davion, he wasn't going to slow Steph down.
But Mitchell only played eight minutes and curry was on the bench a couple of them but it is what it is i’m still proud

Agreed. I think they should have some feasible options trade wise . Was perusing the FA class and there might be some decent options there as well . We shall see

we simply didn't handled the pressure well
classical burnout

it's a new skill to add, new circumstance to get used to it.
let's go in small steps.

now, can someone tell me about monte's contract... for how long we have him?

I think that what Mike Brown will be able to "extract" from Murray will be informed by what Murray looks like going into training camp. I've been saying some version of this since the All-Star break, at least.
Yeah and right now it's probably all based around his ball handling. That little jokey back and forth where Brown called out Murray for his ball handling and Murray kind of chirped back about there nothing being wrong with his ball handling was quite telling. It was a funny but definitely a sign about expectations.

it’s not lucky bounces. They are long rebounds that favor the guy being boxed out. It’s a problem league wide and has been happening more and more with missed threes
Yeah except in many cases he took them over Sabonis’s head.

Look I love Sabonis and think he is the heart of this team. We play unselfishly due to him. But I know people on NBA staffs who say flat out you can’t win in the playoffs with him. While you are saying I’m being critical, I’m getting told you so texts.

He is a key part of this team but his guy got 21 rebounds and Sabonis got 8. That disparity can’t happen in a playoff game and there are things Sabonis can do to fix it. And unless Sabonis can hit perimeter shots you can’t play him with another big. We shall see what happens next year.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here's the thing though. What is the crux of the Kings defensive issues? Strategy? Personnel? A little of side A, side B? If it's personnel then adjusments to the roster most certainly have to include a 3 star combo so they can slide 3 and D guys in. Right now sliding 3 and D guys involves also rejecting the offense that got you here.
You think that the optimal path to improving the Kings' most glaring weaknesses is to add a high-usage, high-volume, non-defensive iso player, who's owed $40M+ guaranteed next season?

I really doubt things are changing on the free agent front even now non-inept. Monte gonna have to manufacture it again. He can. I think we’ll still just have to hit the right role players in FA.
Again, depends on what these teams that moved up a notch at the deadline look like. Role players don't usually get you there, they push you once you have that combo of superstars at the top of your rotation. Depending on your cap role guys can actually keep you from going to that next tier. This is why not moving Holmes last deadline was a gut punch. That said, hopefully Monte can find away to maybe attach that 24 or other value to Holmes and gain some wiggle room. That along with Barnes is option level space. Monte actually has positioned himself in a pretty good spot to make a game changing move possibly but I think it's going to require that sooner than later when you look at this cap moving forward if he decides that's the course and so far, it has been.

I brought up HB because so many of you already casting him out. SO quickly forgetting who all these players had voiced about HB's presence in the locker room. The even-keel demeanor. The pre-Playoffs speech he gave at the dinner reminded our younger roster to not take this moment for granted and don't act like we are just happy to be here but go out and perform like we belong here.

This is why I just laughed at the face of someone here earlier who said he "spoke the truth" when he had absolutely no idea outside of his own eye test.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sabonis was one of the leading rebounders in the league all season. Whatever you want to criticize about his defensive game that really isn't it. Some of it was how the shots were missed (other players should have gotten the long rebounds) and some of it was the way Looney and Green are allowed to play against Sabonis.

Look at his face and body he went to war and the other team got away with geneva violations.

Yeah and right now it's probably all based around his ball handling. That little jokey back and forth where Brown called out Murray for his ball handling and Murray kind of chirped back about there nothing being wrong with his ball handling was quite telling. It was a funny but definitely a sign about expectations.
i think his ball handling is good enough. Certainly not great. What we saw in this series is he can drive and either pull up from midrange or dish to Sabonis for a bucket. He hasn’t added drive to the basket and either score or get fouled yet. So elite 3 point shooting, mid range and dishes for easy buckets is a pretty good base to work with imo. On top of that he played excellent defense in at least half of the play off series. If he brings all that to the table next year and shoots 12-15 shots a game we will be on to something

i think his ball handling is good enough. Certainly not great. What we saw in this series is he can drive and either pull up from midrange or dish to Sabonis for a bucket. He hasn’t added drive to the basket and either score or get fouled yet. So elite 3 point shooting, mid range and dishes for easy buckets is a pretty good base to work with imo. On top of that he played excellent defense in at least half of the play off series. If he brings all that to the table next year and shoots 12-15 shots a game we will be on to something
And that's probably why Brown is looking at ball handling. Getting those shots is largely based around that. Players turn down shots based on defense when they can't comfortable generate looks and like I said, the iso stats don't lie. He simply either wasn't allowed to generate shots, or didn't. We might find that out next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.