Gaming Thread!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’ve been a little underwhelmed so far, tbh, but probably mostly due to the high expectations I have for the series.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Returnal though.
May’s been so crazy with games I haven’t given Returnal enough time.

REVIII ended up growing on me. I liked the pure survival horror of VII much more though. “Ethan does RE4” always seemed like such a strange way to take the series to me.

Playing through the Mass Effect trilogy for the first time proper with the Legendary Edition. I had played bits and pieces of 2 & 3 before, but never beat either. This one perfectly fits Slim’s posted tweet, “The entire world is about to blow up, but I need to check every inch of this building for a crate!”

And BioMutant comes out today. It’s getting kind of beat up by reviews, but I’m still excited to give it a shot.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
BioMutant is ... strange? But I think I like it.

The action and exploration seem good. Looks great. The crafting/upgrade/loot system is awesome. But the omnipresent narrator that speaks over EVERYTHING was certainly an interesting direction. I’m only an hour-plus in and I’m already just reading ahead with the subtitles and skipping his narration.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The new Life is Strange launches this week. Seems much more like the original and Before the Storm than the flop that was #2 … Super excited to get into this one.

I got an XBox Series X from the GameFly drop today!!!!
I’ve always gotten both systems, but the last generation, I almost never used the Xbox, so this is the first time I didn’t immediately get both. Now I’ve been hearing a lot of positive stuff about the Xbox. Curious to know your take after some time with both.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’ve always gotten both systems, but the last generation, I almost never used the Xbox, so this is the first time I didn’t immediately get both. Now I’ve been hearing a lot of positive stuff about the Xbox. Curious to know your take after some time with both.
I didn’t plan on both systems for this loop … but then XB acquired Bethesda and with Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout now exclusive I had to make the buy.

So may as well do it as soon as I found one. Lol

First exclusive I’m playing; Flight Simulator!

(My system arrives tomorrow)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Man, Flight Sim is kind of boring as a game (I mean, it’s to be expected … it’s exactly what it says it is!) but it is a technical wonder. If you want to show off some next gen tech fire up a flight over any city and just cruise around. I’ve got an entire world to go explore. I’ve mostly been doing loops over Rio Linda and Sacramento as I get used to the controls. I’ve done a sweet parallel flyby of the Tower Bridge towers totally on purpose and not desperately trying not to crash into the River.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Also; True Colors reviews are in and looking exceedingly positive. I cannot wait to mainline the equivalent of Chapter 1 as soon as I’m off work!

Man, Flight Sim is kind of boring as a game (I mean, it’s to be expected … it’s exactly what it says it is!) but it is a technical wonder. If you want to show off some next gen tech fire up a flight over any city and just cruise around. I’ve got an entire world to go explore. I’ve mostly been doing loops over Rio Linda and Sacramento as I get used to the controls. I’ve done a sweet parallel flyby of the Tower Bridge towers totally on purpose and not desperately trying not to crash into the River.
Nerd. :cool:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Finally beat Watch Dogs Legion just to get it off the hard drive. It was exactly fine. Dropped the 10$ to upgrade Death Stranding to PS5, gonna give that a retry soon.

Also have Kena: Bridge of Spirits (charming and adorable) and Diablo 2 Remake (serves broken still) on my plate. Plus LiS still which I’m taking my time with.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Diablo 2 Remake (serves broken still) on my plate.
I absolutely LOVED all the Diablo games. But I'm not inclined to drop that much cash for the same game with updated graphics and one new character, or whatever. Can you pull up your old characters from years ago?

I also have no idea when I'd find time to play. My spare time is taken up with books, movies, a few TV series, etc., and whatnot.

Picked up A Hat in Time for Switch a couple weeks ago. Charming throwback to the 3D collect-a-thon days of the N64, while trying to cram in as many divergent genres as possible within its universe of random absurdist quirkiness.

Platforming can be wonky (especially when trying to land on those damnable shoestring tightropes straight out of Mario Sunshine). But I think this one stands shoulder to shoulder with Mario 64 and Psychonauts as titans of the bygone genre.

It even pulls off a survival horror scene out of nowhere. Queen Vanessa no lie gave me a nightmare.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I absolutely LOVED all the Diablo games. But I'm not inclined to drop that much cash for the same game with updated graphics and one new character, or whatever. Can you pull up your old characters from years ago?

I also have no idea when I'd find time to play. My spare time is taken up with books, movies, a few TV series, etc., and whatnot.

Looks like you can bring in your old characters with a few steps. The game is exactly D2 as it was years ago with new graphics. It’s the exact same game otherwise.

Still haven’t gotten a chance to play much at all. Servers were broken at launch and work, sports and a new pup have taken all my free weekday time.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I haven't played much in several years and decided to pick up Diablo III on the PC again. Why? Why did I do that to myself? Now I'll need to play this character all the way through....

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I haven't played much in several years and decided to pick up Diablo III on the PC again. Why? Why did I do that to myself? Now I'll need to play this character all the way through....
Man, I played the absolute heck out of that game across XB and PS4. Actually managed to finish a hardcore character run to complete all the trophies. Something I never thought I’d do.

Meanwhile DII is still absolutely broken on the PS5. Can’t stay in a game for longer than a few minutes before getting kicked. Smh

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Impulse bought Guardians of the Galaxy today after seeing its positive reviews. Not disappointed! I could listen to the crew banter and bicker forever.

I’ve yet to ever see any movie from the MarvelVerse … this might make me check out GotG.

I swear I posted in here...
I'm a PC gamer, had a PS3 for a minute (for GTAV, and Gran Turismo)

I like to play boring games like Civ or Cities Skylines. I'm not good enough to play twitchy/shooter games, I need my auto target. 3x's like the old C&C and A.o.E. are more my speed. Even those I can pause.

Been trying to get into BG3, but I just don't like it so far.

Pretty far into RDR2 but I like to play that with sound on and my motherboard, for some unknown reason, doesn't have a bluetooth connection?!? I blame the builder(me). Most games I turn off all audio straight away.

Just realized StarCraft1 is a free download/play and fired it up for the first time in almost 20 years. Probably too noob to play online since I can't even win 1v4comp on Hunters but I'll probably throw myself to the wolves anyhow. Had many 3am nights as a teenager playing that game (pirated of course!)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Just finished Life is Strange True Colors tonight. I could have marathoned it in a single weekend but decided to pace the chapters out a bit… after Ch4 I couldn’t anymore and had to finish right away.

What a great return to form by that team. Alex was a great lead. Got those gut-punched emotions LiS does, but even with the Ch1 tragedy the game felt uplifting and nice throughout the journey. Just a very enjoyable game.

D2 is finally working, taking that slow getting my Paladin through Act 1, now working my other classes up. Only one legendary item through the journey so far. 2 set pieces.

Guardians of the Galaxy remains a blast.

And finally; Riders Republic is also awesome. Basically Steep but now with bikes!

So many games to play! I love it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Diablo III has multiple character classes you can play with different skills/abilities; I'd previously maxed out my character's levels at 70 for the wizard, monk, crusader, and barbarian. I had started the witch doctor and demon hunter characters a while back, but quit playing (probably because I had just finished maxing out 4 characters already). I just finished getting the demon hunter to 70 yesterday, so I'm putting it on the shelf again until I want to tackle the witch doctor. At my age I need to give my mouse hand a break for a while so I don't get tendonitis! :)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Guardians of the Galaxy is still awesome. Actually got me to watch the first movie. Second one soon.

And I impulse bought Forza Horizon 5, and even as a non-racing game guy and not a car guy … it’s awesome! So many cars to collect and those graphics are absolutely stunning. The best non-Flight Sim graphics I’ve seen so far.