Gaming Thread!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
oh ... so the sites of grace are where you level up? which option do I choose? why isn't that explained better in the starting castle?
The Souls series is notoriously vague. There’s gonna be so many foreign mechanics if you’re not a vet of the series! The option to level isn’t even available until you reach a Site of Grace before a giant gate past the first church (with the merchant and anvil)

You get there and get a cutscene.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm probably going to reroll since the tutorial level will take me about 10 mins. Should I keep my samurai build? I was debating between that and the churchlady. yeah I have some issues.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm probably going to reroll since the tutorial level will take me about 10 mins. Should I keep my samurai build? I was debating between that and the churchlady. yeah I have some issues.
I have a dual threat dagger / magic mix guy going. Having magic is a lifesaver when you need some distance and it seems magic gets OP after some time so I think I’m going to heavily invest there.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Why am I unsurprised SLAB is a Souls fan? haha

Going Incantations myself. Now I just need to figure out if I wanna pair faith with STR or DEX.... Hmmmmmm

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I have a dual threat dagger / magic mix guy going. Having magic is a lifesaver when you need some distance and it seems magic gets OP after some time so I think I’m going to heavily invest there.
I liked that the Samurai starts with a bow. unfortunately not understanding the mechanic I shot all my fire arrows before I understood they have two different triggers.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Why am I unsurprised SLAB is a Souls fan? haha

Going Incantations myself. Now I just need to figure out if I wanna pair faith with STR or DEX.... Hmmmmmm
Dex >>>> Str!

I’ve never been able to successfully wield heavy awkward slow weapons. In & out quick strikes FTW! Of course supplemented with heavy damage from magic!

gunks

Hall of Famer
Dex >>>> Str!

I’ve never been able to successfully wield heavy awkward slow weapons. In & out quick strikes FTW! Of course supplemented with heavy damage from magic!
Yeah I'm leaning that way myself. Loved my dex pyro in DS3.... and I just found the uchigatana in ER, so....

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah I'm leaning that way myself. Loved my dex pyro in DS3.... and I just found the uchigatana in ER, so....
Ive been rocking a dagger that builds bleed pretty quickly. Not a lot of damage but BOOM big burst damage after the fourth strike. Katana is backup, mainly for bosses who’s bleed burst damage doesn’t immediately build up again.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Ive been rocking a dagger that builds bleed pretty quickly. Not a lot of damage but BOOM big burst damage after the fourth strike. Katana is backup, mainly for bosses who’s bleed burst damage doesn’t immediately build up again.
Hmmm, haven't found a bleed dagger yet. But I did just find the incantation that lets you shoot fire from your eyes!

Man this game is cool

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hmmm, haven't found a bleed dagger yet. But I did just find the incantation that lets you shoot fire from your eyes!

Man this game is cool
I think I got lucky, it dropped off a single enemy I happened to come across when I was randomly exploring. At +3 it has 60 bleed buildup.

And I also just got the madness eye fire tonight!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
so blah blah, I went down south and got a ton of runes that I lost right before I finally opened up the leveling place getting stupid rushing into a wolf fight that was easy the first time. but anyhow. doing the samurai thing still. I did push dex up, and added HP once, maybe strength, but is there a better attribute I should be doing with samurai? also I am kind of stuck grinding right now but not sure where to go next without getting my butt kicked. I'm outside the big castle after grinding on knights and weaklings.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
so blah blah, I went down south and got a ton of runes that I lost right before I finally opened up the leveling place getting stupid rushing into a wolf fight that was easy the first time. but anyhow. doing the samurai thing still. I did push dex up, and added HP once, maybe strength, but is there a better attribute I should be doing with samurai? also I am kind of stuck grinding right now but not sure where to go next without getting my butt kicked. I'm outside the big castle after grinding on knights and weaklings.
Endurance huge for melee classes. Ups the stamina (green) bar for more swipes & blocks before fatiguing out.

Also, protip; find a 100 Block shield to hide behind. There’s a merchant somewhere around that has one for sale.

Try finding the caves and dungeons while exploring. There’s mini-bosses at the end who give rewards and they’re not too bad at all. Try going south of the entrance to the overworld and explore the Weeping Peninsula. Found some good stuff there. But as long as your runes are spent just pick a direction and go. If the enemies are rough, go somewhere else. The world is massive and being Souls it’s vague as hell about where you’re actually supposed to go.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Try finding the caves and dungeons while exploring.
Yeah I beat the south island cave which is where I had 4000 runes from and then died in the cave with the wolves and the two bosses. I didn't summon my first try and so lost to the two bosses hard. Then died on the dumb wolves getting back and lost everything. so stupid, the wolves were easy but I am struggling with when to drink my potions sometimes.

but it sounds like from the minimal guides I have looked at I really want to get up to at least level 20 before I take on the main path?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah I beat the south island cave which is where I had 4000 runes from and then died in the cave with the wolves and the two bosses. I didn't summon my first try and so lost to the two bosses hard. Then died on the dumb wolves getting back and lost everything. so stupid, the wolves were easy but I am struggling with when to drink my potions sometimes.

but it sounds like from the minimal guides I have looked at I really want to get up to at least level 20 before I take on the main path?
Lol you chose the roughest of the early caves to stumble into. That boss fight is rough.

Have you found any spirit summons yet? That helped me with that one so the bosses split up and focused on my spirit.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Lol you chose the roughest of the early caves to stumble into. That boss fight is rough.

Have you found any spirit summons yet? That helped me with that one so the bosses split up and focused on my spirit.
the one with the npc summon the other guy did most of the work, the first cave I did didn't seem too bad either except since I hadn't gone through the main path I didn't have a torch yet. lol. I had also yet to discover you could fast travel. I'm having fun I guess just a little conservative/afraid about losing progress or doing something dumb/too early because the dying.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Getting over being afraid of lost souls is the biggest leap you need to take. I didn’t get over it until years into the series.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Praise the Sun! Or... The Erd or whatever.

I juuuuust eeked out a W against Margit on my tenth try or so.
Marghit wasn’t too bad for me. Especially once I learned what summon ashes do! The spirit jelly running meat-shield distraction really did the job for me. He did beat me down the first few underlevelled tries so I went and cleared a bunch of dungeons and mini-bosses to buff myself. Just wait for Godrick!

Anyways, I’m nearly full faith now. Throwing magic at anything that moves then dicing them up with my Bleed Dagger when they get close then running away for more magic.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I summoned a real person and got halfway there and then he died and I didn't last long. The jellyfish is pretty good too. I'm at level 25 or so now and haven't killed many bosses since the first two dungeons I stumbled on so I need to take on a few of the other early boss fights. I do have a good feel for the mechanics of my samurai now as well as an understanding of cash in my level before going to a new area so the only thing at risk is what I am doing in each dungeon.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Oh yeah, jellyfish came in clutch for Margs!

But ever since I got the demi-human pack I can't go back! It's just too funny to unleash a squad of shrieking goblins on my enemies.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
So I got up to early 20s, I looked at a boss guide for the first map, and I've started taking them down in order. I'm about 8 mini bosses in, the last three I just went right into the mist and killed them first or second try. But I still can't beat the Tree Sentinel.

gunks

Hall of Famer
So I got up to early 20s, I looked at a boss guide for the first map, and I've started taking them down in order. I'm about 8 mini bosses in, the last three I just went right into the mist and killed them first or second try. But I still can't beat the Tree Sentinel.
Oh wow, somehow I forgot about that dude! I beat Margit, took out the dragon with the help of trusty Torrent, time to get to jousting while I'm feeling cocky!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I managed to stumble into what I think is a late-game Elden Lord fight. Lets just say … it went shockingly badly every single time.

Probably should start exploring the other half of the map instead of continually pushing into the firey dragonscape that is Caelid.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I finally ran into a run of bad luck on optional boss #10 (highroad cave area). Not because the boss. Because there is a jumping/platform bit I can't seem to get past.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is the run/dodge button being the same, so when I try to make a running leap instead I roll backwards off the platform and die.

effing hell.

still my biggest fear is it takes about 10 arrows for me to clear the bats out to get to the platform jump part. and I am running low.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Also I see WWE is getting pretty good reviews but I refuse to not only pay $10 extra for the Series version, but to pay an additional $10 on top of that so that my kid can play on one of the older consoles. What a joke that is.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Also I see WWE is getting pretty good reviews but I refuse to not only pay $10 extra for the Series version, but to pay an additional $10 on top of that so that my kid can play on one of the older consoles. What a joke that is.
Color me shocked. The commercials have done a horrible job of making it look even presentable. It looks half finished and damn near broken graphically.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The gameplay is supposedly good. When it's half priced I'll buy.

I went back and got past the platform level and easily beat the golem. So I went back to tree sentinel and he whooped me twice. So I crafted some poison arrows, got up on a spot he couldn't reach, summoned the three wolves and then cheesed him with the arrows.

Take that, loser.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The gameplay is supposedly good. When it's half priced I'll buy.

I went back and got past the platform level and easily beat the golem. So I went back to tree sentinel and he whooped me twice. So I crafted some poison arrows, got up on a spot he couldn't reach, summoned the three wolves and then cheesed him with the arrows.

Take that, loser.
hahaha awesome. Souls bosses deserve all the cheese they get. I beat a boss in Sekiro by having it glitch off a cliff and I didn’t even feel a little bad about it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
hahaha awesome. Souls bosses deserve all the cheese they get. I beat a boss in Sekiro by having it glitch off a cliff and I didn’t even feel a little bad about it.
It was a good learning lesson as the git good crowd says because integrating arrows was how I finally took down Agheel. I am probably OP'd for Margit and Godrick now. One can hope. But I still have a few more optionals to clean out before I go there.