Future of Willie Cauley-Stein?

First of all, anyone that thinks most of the NBA players don't think about the money is nuts. It is a business folks, and the better you are, the more you get paid. So for me, this is very simple. If Willie comes out and puts up anything close to 20 and 10, then I'm happy, and I'll gladly pay him. Especially if he stands out on the defensive side of the ball as well. If he doesn't, then you trade him, or offer him a salary that matches his stats. I really don't care what he says, I only care about the results of his play.
Not that it matters if we care or not but the Kings and Vlade should care about the whole package. The things he says and the things he does. If Willie was Koufos in a contract year and he was talking about money, no one would care because you'd know what you were going to get from him night in and night out whether he got paid or not.

If someone created a poll that asked the fans which player on the Kings would be most likely to play well in a contract year, sign a big contract and then revert back to being irrelevant, I could guarantee you Willie would get the most votes. He is the most untrustworthy player on the team in that manner. His head is always somewhere other than winning basketball games.

Even if he put up 15 and 10 this year, you couldn't trade him for much of anything at the halfway point because teams aren't going to give up much for a 3 month rental or a guy they could just wait 5 months and attempt to sign anyway. If he does put up those numbers and the Kings sign him, I would bet a lot of money that his contract turns out being an albatross contract that the Kings will wind up paying to unload.

so, with Willie it does not seem to be about the money itself. money is a mean to an end. he said he needs the money in order to do what he needs to do. that is what is actually concerning to me. his goal is X, he needs money to do X, so he needs to play a certain way to get the money. after that he is concentrating on X. that said, I think he really wants to do X so he will do everything to get the money so he can do the X. that is he will be a player everyone wanted him to be this whole time...at least for one season....

Not that it matters if we care or not but the Kings and Vlade should care about the whole package. The things he says and the things he does. If Willie was Koufos in a contract year and he was talking about money, no one would care because you'd know what you were going to get from him night in and night out whether he got paid or not.

If someone created a poll that asked the fans which player on the Kings would be most likely to play well in a contract year, sign a big contract and then revert back to being irrelevant, I could guarantee you Willie would get the most votes. He is the most untrustworthy player on the team in that manner. His head is always somewhere other than winning basketball games.

Even if he put up 15 and 10 this year, you couldn't trade him for much of anything at the halfway point because teams aren't going to give up much for a 3 month rental or a guy they could just wait 5 months and attempt to sign anyway. If he does put up those numbers and the Kings sign him, I would bet a lot of money that his contract turns out being an albatross contract that the Kings will wind up paying to unload.
while I agree with the analysis of Willie's motivation, i think that if he breaks out this year his trade value will increase compared to the low trade value he has had so far because of his less then stellar play. there is still a value in holding his RFA rights if you think he is the guy for you. you make a qualifying offer, let the market decide the value, and then decide whether you want to pay it. I think that is worth more (RFA rights for a player that broke out) than the 1 1/2 years left for a MEH player (which is what one would be receiving last year if they traded for Willie)

First of all, anyone that thinks most of the NBA players don't think about the money is nuts. It is a business folks, and the better you are, the more you get paid. So for me, this is very simple. If Willie comes out and puts up anything close to 20 and 10, then I'm happy, and I'll gladly pay him. Especially if he stands out on the defensive side of the ball as well. If he doesn't, then you trade him, or offer him a salary that matches his stats. I really don't care what he says, I only care about the results of his play.
I haven't seen any Kingsfans say (or suggest) that most NBA players don't think about money. Of course they do. Ironically, WCS may be one of the few who don't think about money, and he's now using money (the big pay day) as a metaphor when he really means perform at the highest level possible! But, no, I'm not betting on that. I'm betting that our free-spirit, who says whatever he's thinking without considering how people will react, is trying to say he wants to be a great player and be recognized and appreciated for his effort. It just comes out sideways. And I'm just saying that I'm tired of his act. Be motivated by money all you want. But I don't want to hear about your true motivator being money. It's selfishness to an extreme in what is supposed to be a team sport.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen any Kingsfans say (or suggest) that most NBA players don't think about money. Of course they do. Ironically, WCS may be one of the few who don't think about money, and he's now using money (the big pay day) as a metaphor when he really means perform at the highest level possible! But, no, I'm not betting on that. I'm betting that our free-spirit, who says whatever he's thinking without considering how people will react, is trying to say he wants to be a great player and be recognized and appreciated for his effort. It just comes out sideways. And I'm just saying that I'm tired of his act. Be motivated by money all you want. But I don't want to hear about your true motivator being money. It's selfishness to an extreme in what is supposed to be a team sport.
While I agree with some of what you say, I don't think your being realistic about the business side of the sport. Tell me, what drives you to get up every morning and go to work, assuming that your are still a working individual? Most of us do for the money. I don't think its fair to hold sports individuals to a different standard just because their part of the entertainment industry. Look, if you can make your living doing something you love to do, your ahead of most of the working people in the country. And that's what most players are able to do.

If you fall into that latter category, you'll probably excel whatever it is that you do. If not, then money will be your main motivation. But whatever your career, the better you are at it, the more money you'll make. So answer me this, what makes you good at your job? What is your motivation? Especially if you have a somewhat boring and mundane job. For me, it would be personal pride, and the money. The paycheck at the end of the week that keeps everything else in my life going.

Professional basketball players are human beings just like you. They can do things you can't, but their motivations are the same. Willie's problem, is that he says everything that's in his head, but it comes out in segmented parts. In one way, it's refreshing not hearing the same old cliche's that everyone repeats, but I think he's misunderstood because of it. Personally, as I've stated many times, I'm a results guy. Talk is cheap, it's what you do that counts. Donte Greene was a great talker, but his actions never lived up to his words.

I'd rather have a player who has trouble communicating his thoughts properly, but who gives me results on the floor, than one that gives you words of promise, but never any results. As I've said before, I'm a patient person, but Willie has to step up this year. If he does, the team will be better, and that's all I care about.

While I agree with some of what you say, I don't think your being realistic about the business side of the sport. Tell me, what drives you to get up every morning and go to work, assuming that your are still a working individual? Most of us do for the money. I don't think its fair to hold sports individuals to a different standard just because their part of the entertainment industry. Look, if you can make your living doing something you love to do, your ahead of most of the working people in the country. And that's what most players are able to do.

If you fall into that latter category, you'll probably excel whatever it is that you do. If not, then money will be your main motivation. But whatever your career, the better you are at it, the more money you'll make. So answer me this, what makes you good at your job? What is your motivation? Especially if you have a somewhat boring and mundane job. For me, it would be personal pride, and the money. The paycheck at the end of the week that keeps everything else in my life going.

Professional basketball players are human beings just like you. They can do things you can't, but their motivations are the same. Willie's problem, is that he says everything that's in his head, but it comes out in segmented parts. In one way, it's refreshing not hearing the same old cliche's that everyone repeats, but I think he's misunderstood because of it. Personally, as I've stated many times, I'm a results guy. Talk is cheap, it's what you do that counts. Donte Greene was a great talker, but his actions never lived up to his words.

I'd rather have a player who has trouble communicating his thoughts properly, but who gives me results on the floor, than one that gives you words of promise, but never any results. As I've said before, I'm a patient person, but Willie has to step up this year. If he does, the team will be better, and that's all I care about.
I agree with everything you've said here but the sentence I bolded is exactly what most people have a problem with when it comes to WCS. The results haven't been seen on the floor. They've been promised multiple times and he's stated he hasn't worked hard enough multiple times after making all those promises. Now this time the promise is to play hard for money. The previous promises were about elevating his game, becoming a team leader and winning basketball games. He didn't come through on any of those promises.

Now if he does come through on this promise and has a career year with the main motivation being money, how can you trust him to keep that promise and continue staying focused on the court when his money is already guaranteed? Because now instead of money, his main motivations go back to being what they used to be and he's already broken his promise on all of those. That's why fans can't trust him.

I've read your post twice and I'm not sure that we disagree. Except that I've grown tired of Willie's act, and you're still interested to see what he can give us with one more year. If he's a King for the upcoming season, I hope he SHOWS the potential that we've all been waiting for. But I wouldn't be disappointed to see him traded for a true SF or a future draft pick.

Ill say it once and ill say it again. If character counts then Willie should be traded sooner rather than later. End of the day our commitment to signing Z-Bo should have been jettisoned also however weak management principals are a consistent with our franchise.

Vivek balked at giving Cousins 200 mill when it was more then deserved citing character issues. Willie has not for the duration he has been here, shown any character or significant backbone. We have coddled his enigma and decided we do not want to walk out on our investment yet all signs point to Willie only putting in work when it benefits Willie.

The writing is on the wall. He is absolutely going to be chill trill once the ink is dry on his contract. We are in a great position with young bigs and we dont need to be relying on the services of Willie.

Id much rather see the minutes go to KK who has earnt his time and Skal who up to this point has been a fringe roster big and needs minutes. This is non withstanding Bagley and Giles who both need minutes.

If we pay to retain the services of Willie ill be dissapointed. Not only is it a waste of money regardless of if he has a career year or not, but it is a continuation of weak management principals and continuous inconsistency.

LMAO. People's reactions to these comments are really screwy to me. He's seen recently his UK teammates/draft classmates Devin Booker and KAT sign Mega huge deals and wants to prove he can shoulder a big load and can be relied on in the same fashion.

He's gonna have a big season and there will be much crow to be eaten around here.

If he proves he's worthy of a big deal, he'll get that deal because thats what he's worth to the team. it's a team game. idk how these comments can be perceived as all that selfish. he wants to help other people with this $$$ it sounds like to me.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you've said here but the sentence I bolded is exactly what most people have a problem with when it comes to WCS. The results haven't been seen on the floor. They've been promised multiple times and he's stated he hasn't worked hard enough multiple times after making all those promises. Now this time the promise is to play hard for money. The previous promises were about elevating his game, becoming a team leader and winning basketball games. He didn't come through on any of those promises.

Now if he does come through on this promise and has a career year with the main motivation being money, how can you trust him to keep that promise and continue staying focused on the court when his money is already guaranteed? Because now instead of money, his main motivations go back to being what they used to be and he's already broken his promise on all of those. That's why fans can't trust him.

Isn't it possible to add performance based stipulations into a contract?

At this point I doubt we could get much trading him, maybe as a piece in a larger deal, but not on his own.

That said I hope he has one hell of a year and we patiently see what he gets offered as a RFA after the season and see if we want to match or not.

Only if he gets a 1 year deal.

Very simplistic way of looking at it when what people say generally has insight into their beliefs and that points to the way they play.

WCS has been making comments about himself for 3 seasons. He wants to be the #1 guy, he wants to focus on his offense etc....all those comments point to his mindset and that mindset is at the core of what we have been seeing in his 3 years with the Kings. Focusing on less important things, taking shots outside of the flow of the offense because of what he wants and not what the team needs. Even in his best season, he has been widely inconsistent on both ends of the floor.

Compare that attitude to ANY other player on the roster and its the complete opposite. All of them are about the team, all of the rightly identify what they need to work on to make the team win. WCS is the complete opposite. He focuses on what he wants and not what the team needs and in all honesty, what he wants and what the team needs him to be a two very different things. Its a union that is never going to work unless WCS changes his view or his approach.

the average career in the NBA is how long exactly? 3-4 years?

is it not implied that Willie wants to help the team, to be worth big $$$??? Can someone pls explain to me how that viewpoint is presumptuous and the one where we say "HE'S CLEARLY, GREEDY AND NOT A TEAM PLAYER!!, ship him for a box of donuts and let 0 NBA minutes Bagley/Giles take over" isn't?

the average career in the NBA is how long exactly? 3-4 years?

is it not implied that Willie wants to help the team, to be worth big $$$??? Can someone pls explain to me how that viewpoint is presumptuous and the one where we say "HE'S CLEARLY, GREEDY AND NOT A TEAM PLAYER!!, ship him for a box of donuts and let 0 NBA minutes Bagley/Giles take over" isn't?
Like you, Willie doesn't get it either. He clarified his statement saying that what he meant was "What do I need to do to get this money? Not that I deserve this or I did this or that to deserve it. Tell me what you need me to do to get that". He thinks that the fans were pissed because he thought he was entitled to a big contract and that's not what the fans were mad about at all. We already know damn well that his play up to this point wouldn't warrant a big contract. We're mad because he's admitted to not working as hard as he needs to in the past and now that the contract is looming, all the sudden he's motivated to start working hard. That's not fair to the fans, the franchise or his teammates. Where was the hard work in the past? He talked like he was taking over as a team leader once Cousins got traded and then admitted he didn't do that because he wasn't working as hard as his teammates. Competition, wins and playoffs aren't what motivates Willie because if it did, he would have been working hard at it already.

Money motivates him. Not team success. He has proven that already through his actions and his words. A guy like Jimmy Butler would lay into him if he was on the Kings because he doesn't tolerate lazy players who don't put in the work and think "naw I'm good" when they're told what they need to improve on. It's why he can't stand to play with Wiggins. Like WCS he has a ton of talent and just chooses to rely on his natural abilities instead of putting in the real work that takes him to the next level.

You don't give a non 3 point shooting, non shot blocking, non rebounding center a big contract based off of one year of success. It's fools gold and it's bitten quite a few teams in the league already. He simply cannot be trusted to stay motivated once he gets paid because he's proven already that wins and on court success aren't what motivates him. It's money. I'm going to stop commenting at this point because it's been discussed ad nauseam and it'll most likely just be dumbed down into the most simplistic turd of an opinion by anyone reading that doesn't agree with it anyway.

Like you, Willie doesn't get it either. He clarified his statement saying that what he meant was "What do I need to do to get this money? Not that I deserve this or I did this or that to deserve it. Tell me what you need me to do to get that". He thinks that the fans were pissed because he thought he was entitled to a big contract and that's not what the fans were mad about at all. We already know damn well that his play up to this point wouldn't warrant a big contract. We're mad because he's admitted to not working as hard as he needs to in the past and now that the contract is looming, all the sudden he's motivated to start working hard. That's not fair to the fans, the franchise or his teammates. Where was the hard work in the past? He talked like he was taking over as a team leader once Cousins got traded and then admitted he didn't do that because he wasn't working as hard as his teammates. Competition, wins and playoffs aren't what motivates Willie because if it did, he would have been working hard at it already.

Money motivates him. Not team success. He has proven that already through his actions and his words. A guy like Jimmy Butler would lay into him if he was on the Kings because he doesn't tolerate lazy players who don't put in the work and think "naw I'm good" when they're told what they need to improve on. It's why he can't stand to play with Wiggins. Like WCS he has a ton of talent and just chooses to rely on his natural abilities instead of putting in the real work that takes him to the next level.

You don't give a non 3 point shooting, non shot blocking, non rebounding center a big contract based off of one year of success. It's fools gold and it's bitten quite a few teams in the league already. He simply cannot be trusted to stay motivated once he gets paid because he's proven already that wins and on court success aren't what motivates him. It's money. I'm going to stop commenting at this point because it's been discussed ad nauseam and it'll most likely just be dumbed down into the most simplistic turd of an opinion by anyone reading that doesn't agree with it anyway.
Well stated

He's never been a 15 & 10 guy..let's trade him for something NOW.
For everyone advocating that we trade Willie, remember we won't have Randolph and Kosta next year. Bagley and Giles haven't seen a minute of NBA action, and Skal has yet to prove anything.

I'm not against trading Willie. I'm against trading him for "something". As I (and others) have mentioned multiple times, we already have a lot of young players that will need time. If we trade Willie for a pick/prospect that's unlikely to see much playing time, what exactly are we gaining?

Yes. Willie will expect to get paid. If we exchange him for a player who will be on a rookie contract for a few more years, we save some dough. Plus, the other player might be more tradable with a smaller contract. Plus, we open up more playing time for Bagley, Giles, and Skal. I understand the arguments.

From my perspective, unless we see these guys play some meaningful minutes, it would be foolish to anoint them. Sure, the FO and the coaching staff is paid to have an idea about their potential, and if they think they're going to be the future, trading Willie for something might make sense. I don't think that will help the team much in any case.

Money saved will not be very useful. We will be so far below the minimum, that we'll be forced to throw money at some FAs (did very very rough calculations on hoopshype, and minus Willie, we have around 43M committed to our 9 core guys. This include Yogi and Belli. Assuming a minimum of around 90M, we'll be forced to offer around 47M to up to 6 guys). Given that more than half the league will have cap space next year, we'll not be attracting any top tier talent. So, we shall be overpaying mid level guys. 47M may not seem a lot in NBA money, but which players do we hope to attract that we'll want to play above the core guys. If no name really pops up, do we want to pay them so much money to sit around? And is Willie really a worse option in that case?

Things are worth what people will pay for them. It's a golden rule of pricing. The rule isn't things are worth what people on internet forums think they are.

Last edited:
I propose a contest. Lets play guess willies' salary in 2019-2020. Lets line up the suckers in a row, and see how many take the bait. so then we can watch them all months after the fact eat crow with tongue in cheek astonishment.

Willie has the Kings by the ear.. Not the other way around. The people here who think he's not an essential piece of the equation are gonna be sour about it for years, so why argue about it now:)

:p:p:p

I'll start, over $15MM per year.

Last edited:
It's not different from what I said tho lol. At all. So how is it well stated???? It's really just a whole lot of words to attempt to sound condescending, but really just making a simple, circular argument, and infact making my point for me.

I said he wants to be worth big $$$ to the team, and paid accordingly. WHICH IS WHAT PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE WANTS AT THEIR JOB. NO?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Same question Willie's asking.....

who's not understanding? IF there's some obvious communication issue, point it out succinctly, not in 3 long-winded paragraphs. The dude's argument has very little footing in reality, but I"M NOT UNDERSTANDING :p:p:p:p

This topic is basically the same topic in every thread BREAKING NEWS - Poster attempts to confirm prior biases - again - in a new thread!

I propose a contest. Lets play guess willies' salary in 2019-2020. Lets line up the suckers in a row, and see how many take the bait. so then we can watch them all months after the fact eat crow with tongue in cheek astonishment.

Willie has the Kings by the ear.. Not the other way around. The people here who think he's not an essential piece of the equation are gonna be sour about it for years, so why argue about it now:)

Don't think anybody is concerned whether he's going to get paid or not. The right question to bet on is what his stats and impact will be a year or two from now.

To me he is not worth even 10 mil a year. Let him play and prove he is worth that or more. If he does not see that we have been picking up front court players because he isn’t the every night player we hoped he would be.

If he plays well or at least as well as he thinks he does then someone should pony up a good trade for their team.

I see trade bait at best but the qualifying offer more than likely.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I'll definitely take the under on that!:D

I'll definitely take the under on that!:D
Praytell what do you think a more realistic # is?

and tbh I think these responses are hilarious; I take them more as ignorance about the conditions of todays NBA market than their intended slight at Willie tho.

The Salary caps going to like 110 and then 120 mil the next 2 seasons but you think Willie, a starting C, is worth barely a 13% chunk of that. Brilliant stuff, I'ts difficult to even get hyped up for these arguments tbh, they are so deeply rooted in self-assured delusion.

Don't think anybody is concerned whether he's going to get paid or not. The right question to bet on is what his stats and impact will be a year or two from now.
So what will his stats be in the big contract year?

Last year his per 36 minute stats were as follows;

16.4ppg, 9.0rebs, 3 asts, 1.6stl, 1.4 blks.

The guy is stuffing the stat sheet yet so many are ready to run him out of town LOL. (FOR WHAT? LOL)

Harry Giles is 6'9" without shoes. Marvin Bagley isn't much taller. If you wanted to run Willie out of town you should've been hoping Mo Bamba was the pick. Marvin's selection only ensures Willie will be here for a long, long time, they can't afford to let him walk...

Reminder; the Kings have no draft pick this year, letting a player like Willie walk will only exacarbate that issue, the Kings could actually come into next years camp less talented (with players like Bogdan having 1 foot out the door) if things go poorly.

WCS is an essential piece of the equation.

So what will his stats be in the big contract year?

Last year his per 36 minute stats were as follows;

16.4ppg, 9.0rebs, 3 asts, 1.6stl, 1.4 blks.

The guy is stuffing the stat sheet yet so many are ready to run him out of town LOL. (FOR WHAT? LOL)
Counting stats! Look at him go!

On/Off = -0.9 (12th on his team)
RPM = -0.87 (39th among Cs)
RAPM = -1.6 (456th in the league)

This 24 year old was far from impactful.

Praytell what do you think a more realistic # is?

and tbh I think these responses are hilarious; I take them more as ignorance about the conditions of todays NBA market than their intended slight at Willie tho.

The Salary caps going to like 110 and then 120 mil the next 2 seasons but you think Willie, a starting C, is worth barely a 13% chunk of that. Brilliant stuff, I'ts difficult to even get hyped up for these arguments tbh, they are so deeply rooted in self-assured delusion.
I like your prospect posts but man you really take offense to other peoples opinion. Where do you think Willie ranks compared to the rest of the league in terms of starting centers? No doubt he's in the bottom third